Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    This is so wrong, why would you say this? Anything you play from a CD, DVD, BluRay player, it's all digital.
    Maybe he lives in an ideal world where everything is loss-less analog?

So it seems like the conclusion is: Beats is a comprehensive solution that looks at all the places where a listener could hear noise introduced. It uses software to work some magic, and uses upgraded headphone jacks to work some more magic. It is possible that the Pre3 could have one, the other, or both. It isn't going to be perfect, but it is better than what generally comes stock on other devices. You will only notice the hardware improvement if using headphones or speakers plugged into the headphone jack. The speakers on the device are going to be the same as any other similar device. Is that right?

Personally, I'd find this very useful. I rarely use my phone's speakers to play music. Either I plug in headphones or use external speakers connected through the headphone jack. I can't stand how I have to turn the volume up so much that I can hear noise. If I can use the same stereo system and play music off my Pre3 without that noise, that would be awesome. It might not be sliced bread, but it certainly makes users happier, which will pay dividends in the end.

Apple has like 2 innovations in the past 10 years. The rest are just improvements to existing technology, like this.
    Sound by it's very nature is analog. Get back to me when you've experienced a proper turntable setup, or even better, a master tape. Master tapes are what the CDs you buy in the store are copied from if they are ADD or AAD. This is not some golden-ears mumbo jumbo. Even my dad who is half deaf can tell which is better, and it's not CD. Digital is for convenience, and possibly durability. It is not for sound quality. Sure, it's tons better than the previous solution for convenience, cassette tapes, but it cannot hold a candle to a decent analog setup. Most people have never in their life heard a decent analog set up and assume digital is the best it gets, but they are wrong.

All this talk about keeping the signal flat and unmodified is regurgitated audiophile speak that absolutely does not apply to digital. If the source is already compromised by being converted to digital, there is no harm in adjusting those 1s and 0s on the fly to improve the sound as much as you can. It's already been digitally processed to death in the recording studio, so shaping it to get it to sound better on your equipment is not only not going to hurt it, it can be in some cases absolutely necessary to make it [what an audiophile would consider] listenable.

And that is what is so irritating to me about all this marketing over digital audio, and lossy digital audio at that. You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd. Adding shielding to the headphone jack doesn't warrant a brand name; if you're a phone designer, that's doing your damn job. And DSP can be added to any digital device without having to pay a kickback to Dr. Dre. There is already a media player app for WebOS that allows for basic shaping of the sound. With more development, more control over the sound could be added, and you could shape it to your particular headphones and your particular tastes.

Sure, I hope the marketing helps the Pre 3 and WebOS, but I can't help but roll my eyes at it.
    Fyi, disappointing news on the music service front, story coming out of Reuters today that could be 6 months before HP has a music service.
    see more details here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-palm...r-reuters.html
    I know about turntables. Look man, I don't disagree with you that *actual sound* is analog, and I don't disagree that a lot of CD's sound like crap. But to say "Digital is for convenience, and possibly durability. It is not for sound quality." is a debate for another forum. Seriously, I don't like engaging in these discussions, and it's NOT for this thread. I don't think anyone else here appreciates it.

Go watch Tron Legacy on Bluray and tell me digital sounds like crap. A lot more has to do with who mastered the sound. You want to learn about this? Head on over to AVSForum.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Fine. This is what I am biting my tongue about:
    Originally Posted by fxspec06
    I'm probably more of an audiophile than most here on this forum..

This means crystal clear music, COMPARING TO, but NEVER surpassing, digital audio (which is the CREME of the cake when it comes to audio, until you get into the tube amp tier).

There's no equalizer, there's no special equipment required, there's no way to not use it, it's just there. It doesn't change the audio stream coming out of your computer, it doesn't enhance it, it doesn't filter it, it doesn't cancel anything out, it just *prevents* distortion by wiring correctly, which is what the industry has ignored for so long because most people don't care about it. It's not designed for audiophiles, but average people won't notice a difference.

Beats headsets have nothing to do with beats audio, but they do work very well together, because the very nature of beats audio excells at bringing non-low-grade cans and monitors to life.

And the pièce de résistance...

Originally Posted by fxspec06
    I know nothing, nor do I care, about the software part of beats. To me, anything that changes the audio in any way shape or form is, for lack of a better word, garbage. If it isn't flat, it isn't real.

I'm embarrassed for him.

OK, What is your problem?

Some people can care less about listening to something through a Tin Can vs a quality speaker, and that is fine.... but don't mock someone that does.

Is this "Cool-Guy" attitude because you don't understand it or you don't appreciate it?

Either way....I feel embarrassed for you.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    You want to learn about this? Head on over to AVSForum.
    Member since Feb 2006. But AVSforum is populated mostly with home theater guys, not audiophiles.

Should have stuck with my original plan and not said anything.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Do audiophiles fight in Rap Battles?
    brum likes this.
    Yes.

And so do physicists.

Touchscreens are a fad.
    Member since Feb 2006. But AVSforum is populated mostly with home theater guys, not audiophiles.

Should have stuck with my original plan and not said anything.
    Well, while I certainly wouldn't call myself an audiophile by any means, pretty much anyone I talk to IRL would call me one and I can't convince them otherwise. It's all relative.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

It is a common mistake to assume that AGPS is not as good as GPS, but it is in fact better. AGPS is real satellite-based GPS, and it will work without a cellular signal. However if a cellular signal is present, it will obtain a fix faster than would be possible without.

I think some people are under the impression that AGPS is a fake GPS that works exclusively via cell tower triangulation, but this is not the case at all.
    With no cellular signal ,is this so? Then why is the wifi touchpad advertised as having no gps capability when the specs of Qualcomm's MSM8x60 processor, clearly stated specs on qualcomm's website, show gps available for all flavors of this family lineup of chips?
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    With no cellular signal ,is this so? Then why is the wifi touchpad advertised as having no gps capability when the specs of Qualcomm's MSM8x60 processor, clearly stated specs on qualcomm's website, show gps available for all flavors of this family lineup of chips?
    GPS is available for all flavors of the MSM8x60 processor that include WWAN radios. The WiFi TouchPad's APQ8060 processor does not.

http://www.qualcomm.com/documents/fi...duct-brief.pdf
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Ummm......
    snapdragon apq8060 | Tumblr
    HP TouchPad Technical Specs with WebOS 3.0 Snapdragon dual-CPU APQ8060 1.2GHz | PressByte

Again, "AGPS is real satellite-based GPS, and it will work without a cellular signal." No wwan means no celluar signal. If I'm mistaken, please explain.
    Wireless WAN - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    What is a WWAN?

So again, how do you get agps without cellular signal? The specs show no wwan for the apq8060 lineup. Spec does not exclude apq8060 from gps.
    Last edited by champiful; 06/10/2011 at 10:39 PM. Reason: addition
    Ah I see what you're asking now.

Think of an AGPS device as GPS+. It's an actual GPS device, but it gets assistance from the cell towers, if a cellular signal is present. If no cellular signal is present, then it functions just like a normal GPS without the A.

So why won't the WiFi TouchPad do normal GPS? Because it does not have an AGPS transceiver in it. The AGPS transceiver is included in the WWAN modules of the MSM8x60 chipset. Take away WWAN module and you take away AGPS with it. Since AGPS (when working in AGPS mode) gets information from the cellular towers, it makes sense that it would reside on the same module as the WWAN radios.

So either the Tumblr article is mistaken, with their claim that the APQ8060 is capable of standalone GPS, or HP is mistaken, and the WiFi-only TouchPad does include GPS support.

TouchPad Tablet Technical Specifications | HP

A-GPS (3G models only)
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Ah.. Ok. So now my question is can the touchpad receive gps from another device like tom tom, garmin, pre 3, veer, or other gps bt devices?
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I hope it god its not a misprint
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    Ah.. Ok. So now my question is can the touchpad receive gps from another device like tom tom, garmin, pre 3, veer, or other gps bt devices?

This will be a question of what is available and what isn't available via touch to share/bluetooth programming. Technically it is possible, since it would be a software side issue, if the hardware receiving the GPS signal is able to transfer software data via BT.

My answer to this thus far is, wait and see..... I really don't think anyone outside of HP could have a real answer to this yet.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Wow, this thread is all over the place. What was the OP again? Oh yea, Pre 3 has Beats Audio.
    Whether you're on Team fxspec06 or Team Syndil, I think this thread has had some of the best and most accessible discussion of audio fidelity I've seen in a long time.
    All i wanna know is twothings: A) will gps work on the wifi via any source and, um, 2) when will I be able to use that super cool star sky map all my iCult friends love showing off?! Somebody write the app NOW!!
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    Clearly the Beats Audio has a lot to do with GPS...

Digital media is the way of the future for data integrity, transfer, and ease of file manipulation. Is great digital as perfect as great analog? No. Will any more than a handful of people really notice the difference and be able to explain what the difference is? No.

Beats audio may not turn the Pre3 into a crystal clear, high end stereo system, but does anybody expect a smartphone to deliver amazing quality sound? Seriously, it's like when people expect the smartphone to replace a good digital camera...
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast