Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    That's the software.

The hardware part of the beats, which is the most important to me, and should be to everyone else, and which is what I was referring to, cannot be turned off.

I know nothing, nor do I care, about the software part of beats. To me, anything that changes the audio in any way shape or form is, for lack of a better word, garbage. If it isn't flat, it isn't real.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Oh my. I'm biting my tongue. I suggest you stop posting any more on this, Mr. "Audiophile."
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Come on guys.

Beats Audio on HP laptops is both hardware and software. Yes the software can be disabled, but the the benefits of the hardware still apply (I agree that the hardware is the more important of the two).

Let's just hope that the implementation of Beats on the Pre3 (and the TouchPad) is as good as it is on the laptops.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I suggest you stop posting any more on this, Mr. "Audiophile."
    Why be a dork about it? He has valid points which were convoluted by technicalities (albeit not insignificant) of the set-up.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Fine. This is what I am biting my tongue about:

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    I'm probably more of an audiophile than most here on this forum..

This means crystal clear music, COMPARING TO, but NEVER surpassing, digital audio (which is the CREME of the cake when it comes to audio, until you get into the tube amp tier).

There's no equalizer, there's no special equipment required, there's no way to not use it, it's just there. It doesn't change the audio stream coming out of your computer, it doesn't enhance it, it doesn't filter it, it doesn't cancel anything out, it just *prevents* distortion by wiring correctly, which is what the industry has ignored for so long because most people don't care about it. It's not designed for audiophiles, but average people won't notice a difference.

Beats headsets have nothing to do with beats audio, but they do work very well together, because the very nature of beats audio excells at bringing non-low-grade cans and monitors to life.
    And the pièce de résistance...

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    I know nothing, nor do I care, about the software part of beats. To me, anything that changes the audio in any way shape or form is, for lack of a better word, garbage. If it isn't flat, it isn't real.
    I'm embarrassed for him.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Half of what was said is confusing tech wise and I'm in the industry. Either way, I know Beats audio is better because I've listed to audio for years and nothing in the consumer audio space comes close out of the box. So far I've enjoyed what Beats audio can do on a laptop and if it works as equally well on a Touchpad....FANTASTIC!

To be honest, I suspect the industry has made everyone think what they've been providing is the best it can be and so they can lower their margin using cheaper hardware and keep R&D down to a minimum. Either way, Apple has made a name for having the best audio players and music sequencers and I guess this why professionals use Firewire interfacing for input and output. Gets back to my original point, if Apple didn't invent it...it hasn't been done. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    According to a Bloomberg article (do not know how everyone takes their credibility):

HP and Beats engineers collaborated to create a laptop that respected music and sound, the spokesman said, instead of treating them as an afterthought. They designed the music architecture from source to line out, writing new digital sound processing code, and arranged the laptop's innards to cut out audible magnetic and digital interference (bleeding).
    HP and Beats Team Up for Special Edition Digital Music Laptop - BusinessWeek

So, according to this, it suggests Beats audio (at least on an HP laptop) is both software and equipment.
    Bloomberg was merely regurgitating what HP told them.

There is no special Beats Audio chip. The audio chip used in HP's Beats Audio laptops is nothing more than an industry standard IDT HD-audio chip. You can verify this by going to the HP site and attempting to download audio drivers for any of the Beats laptops. This is of course not the same audio chip used in the Pre 3.

Making sure an audio output is sufficiently shielded from sources of interference is neither new nor unique to devices with Beats branding. It is SOP for any manufacturer that cares about making a decent product.

So, if we were to compare a Beats product with a similar non-Beats product using the same audio chipset, as long as both have been built properly--that is to say, sufficiently shielded from interference--distinguishing hardware with Beats Audio branding from non-Beats branded hardware would be impossible with the Beats DSP turned off.

Finally, ask yourself which came first: The FCC approval of the Pre 3, which would have indicated the finalized version of the hardware, or the Beats branding? This recent refresh of the Pre 3's spec page is the first mention we've seen of Beats Audio, but the Pre 3 first passed the FCC process on April 26th. Once a device passes the FCC process, the hardware cannot be changed without re-submitting it to the FCC. Even if the change does not deal directly with the radios, any change to the internal hardware structure can affect how radiation is emitted from the device and therefore must be re-tested. So, either the super-special Beats Audio hardware design was there from the beginning, or there is nothing particularly special about the hardware, and HP decided to slap Beats branding on it primarily for marketing reasons, possibly justified by the inclusion of a media player with Beats DSP. No points for guessing which scenario I find to be more likely.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    i just want to add to the discussion this thread on head-fi.
    personally i doubt there is anything special hardware-wise in the pre3. being a cell phone, there's enough interference already. it will never sound as good as the top daps.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    branding when none is required
  11. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    branding when none is required
    Making sure an audio output is sufficiently shielded from sources of interference is neither new nor unique to devices with Beats branding. It is SOP for any manufacturer that cares about making a decent product.
    Shielding is very important to me and not all laptop/phone manufacturers shield properly. My crappy Dell laptop is a prime example. I don't see why you have such a problem with HP marketing that they actually did take that extra step when so many do not.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    brum likes this.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Phil View Post
    According to a Bloomberg article (do not know how everyone takes their credibility):

HP and Beats Team Up for Special Edition Digital Music Laptop - BusinessWeek

So, according to this, it suggests Beats audio (at least on an HP laptop) is both software and equipment.
    it is... beats audio is 24-bit audio. currently on CD's u get only 16 bit. But music artist create their music at an uncompressed 24bit code. Beats audio is designed so that u can listen to the music the way it was created.

for the hardware Hp has chips to decode 24bits and also the line out has more insulation and a special path around the board designed to keep interference out of the line
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    I'm embarrassed for him.
    Most audiophiles do frown on EQs.... Signal degradation and all....
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I thought "Beats" was only relevant to the audio jack. It's not that it has "Beats" speakers, but that it puts out "Beats Audio" that will sound better when played by something that can handle it. I had my brother's HP laptop with "beats audio" for a few days, and I hooked it up to my Shure in-ear monitors... and compared it to a mid-level set of Skull Candy earbuds.

Then I did the same with my Pre2... It was hard to tell what was "Beats" and what was just my bad hearing. I thought that both pair sounded about the same on both devices, but the Shure buds are sooo good that it's hard for my tired old ears to really appreciate what they can do. At the end of my basic comparison it seemed like there might be a slight improvement with "Beats" - but not enough to charge money. Someone in the business needs to do a serious comparison on a laptop or touchpad where they can turn "Beats" off and on so they can isolate it from other variables. When they explained it at the launch, the studio guy said it had to do with providing better sampling and such... but the world has accepted low bitrate MP3 that is about a 25 year old codec... and it would take someone with excellent hearing to hear the difference.
    Yeah those Shure ear buds really rock! Skullcandy buds are no where near the same sounding. Once I got the Shure ones, I threw the skullcandy ones away. If you want to hear the difference on bitrate, just use a radio streaming app, play a stream at 48kbit and then at 160kbit and trust me, you will definitately hear the difference.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    There was an atricle here I belive that touts "what is beats audio" and yes it is a branding- and much like the vPro branding on intel chipsets its a collection of things- If you dont think there is a differance between "higher" end and "lower" end speakers even on laptops- my wife's first HP had Altec Lansings and her new Toshiba has "generic" unbranded speakers- and yes- BIG differance.

Basiccaly what I think we will see from a phone branded "beats audio" should be the well made headphone jack- and hopefully the independant and properly wired sound processer or whatever you want to call it and 24bit output.

And yes all those things "should be done" all the time on any product- but its not...and it "not" being done has become industry standard- I have no problem with HP touting their "better than mainsteam" audio via any type of branding.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post
    Most audiophiles do frown on EQs.... Signal degradation and all....
    DSP ≠ EQ. If the source is digital, it's already been degraded. Running DSP on it does not degrade the signal further, it modifies it digitally on the fly. It's like instant re-mastering.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    DSP ≠ EQ. If the source is digital, it's already been degraded.
    This is so wrong, why would you say this? Anything you play from a CD, DVD, BluRay player, it's all digital. How do you think our components read the bits? They're digital bits. 1's and 0's. The benefits of a digital signal are that the receiver / amplifier is doing the decoding as opposed to an external decoder that sends the signal via analog. I have no clue where you get your information.

Running DSP on it does not degrade the signal further, it modifies it digitally on the fly. It's like instant re-mastering.
    You don't want that. Anything that touts itself as 'instant re-mastering' is bad and unwanted.. but suit yourself, man.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ManyCowsMoo View Post
    We can debate the technical aspects of it, but I think Beats audio is a really good marketing tactic for the younger crowd. I see a bunch of people on my college campus walking to class with their Beats headphones on. I'm guessing HP is counting on them to think to themselves, "Hey, my friend has a pair of Beats headphones. Hmm, this phone has Beats too, maybe I'll get it and a pair of headphones too."
    That is exactly what I was trying to say to deesugar, but you summed it up better.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast