Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    whats holding things up is the complete rewrite of the os in enyo for 3.0. All our basic apps were rewritten in enyo.

ive gotta look at porting my apps from mojo to enyo as well.

all this has taken costly time. With most of the rewrite done w release for touchpad heres hoping hp moves quicker.
    The Pre3 does not launch with Enyo based webOS 3.x. It launches with the Mojo based webOS 2.3. If the case is a lack of internal resources because of the development of Enyo, it's just another clear illustration poor planning and implementation by HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    The Pre3 does not launch with Enyo based webOS 3.x. It launches with the Mojo based webOS 2.3. If the case is a lack of internal resources because of the development of Enyo, it's just another clear illustration poor planning and implementation by HP.
    correct me if I'm wrong but I think they've said 2.2+ is supposed to be able to run enyo apps too.
    hp is making too many excessive business calculations and forgot it's still survival stage for webOS.

pity.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I'm sick of waiting and the handling of WebOS has taught me that HP is absolutely awful at advertising. It astounds me that companies so large can't get a advertising team together that actually paid attention in school.
    My sprint contract ended yesterday.....I have already shopped cost wise the move to Verizon and getting a Samsung Charge, showed the sales kid my pre minus, and he said "wow, that is pretty impressive. to bad the launch took any mojo out of the pre2". ***? They know it smokes any phone in there, but when I said I wanted to stay with webos, it was like the record scratched across the store! Nothing but crickets.
    Today, went shopping in the "mall"(I feel old there) and my daughter and I stopped in to the att store to check out the veer. It was on display, dead, because they didnt know how to charge it! I showed "Wali" and the sales manager how to charge it, and promptly walked out. That was a small phone, too small in fact for me.
    So I am left awaiting for the pre3. My minus is on its last legs, but it works, so Sprint wouldnt give me a refurb because of the damage. I thought thats why I have insurance. Tired of dropping calls here in CT, thats why I want verizon. I have a work cell with them, and it never drops call here.
    Probably will buy a touchpad, instead of a new pc. So a pre3 makes more sense. How long can I wait? Have had the minus since launch.....not gonna ***** about Sprint, but I guess I'm done with their coverage(or lack there of) and lack of a phone I want. Nobody has the phone I want! I;m ready for a rotary in the kitchen and nothing else at this point. Old school yo'! Please just f'n announce the date HP!!!! So those of us die hards that are still here, believing in you, can preach that the webos rapture is upon us!! I'm not even religous! Jeezzzzzz Thanks for reading.......I think
    Hang in there. I have a good source who said Verzon's getting a 6 month exclusive on the Pre 3 and they (being Sprint) would be carrying it in January. Do the math....Verizon will Have the Pre 3 soon. I'm moving to Verizon....soon.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

I got tired of waiting a month ago and got the nexus. LOVING it. I ann fairly certain I will not miss a hp product cycle on sprint.

Enjoying android until webos comes to sprint.

The sad part is that if hp put out new devices with the 1.4.5.1, I would've bought that in a heartbeat.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    If Verizon has an exclusive on the Pre 3 why did HP send the GSM application for the Pre 3 to the FCC before the CDMA version? I do not see HP making the same mistake that Palm did with granting Sprint and exclusive on their flagship phone. The more people WebOS it is available to the more customers they will attract. However, I do not understand the exclusive plan with AT&T for the Veer. HP/Palm should have learned from past mistakes. Maybe the AT&T Veer exclusive very is a short term contract. HP will be selling the Touchpad in all the high volume retail outlets. They want to push WebOS to the masses. A customer who purchases an HP Touchpad may discover they love the OS and want the Pre 3 phone... but oh wait its an exclusive with company X... and I have company Y.. I am sure HP wants the phone on every wireless carrier they can get.... I have faith that HP is intelligent enough to know this............
    I suspect that the Pre3 will get released very close on the heels of the Touchpad for two reasons:

1. A lot of "launch" marketing is about momentum - HP expects the Touchpad to do well and create buzz. I expect HP will want to launch the Pre3 very soon after the Touchpad while the shiny-newness and media buzz about the Touchpad is still high. HP wants to also sell a phone to each and every Touchpad owner. Which leads me to #2...

2. A large part of what HP is selling with WebOS involves wireless data sharing, particularly between tablet and phone. Now it is darn hard to demonstrate that to customers if there are no WebOS phones with touch to share.

I have zero inside information but my marketing sense says the Pre3 will launch in US within 2 weeks of Touchpad.
    PDA History:

Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

Touchpad
    Global Posts
    737 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BradE View Post
    I suspect that the Pre3 will get released very close on the heels of the Touchpad for two reasons:

1. A lot of "launch" marketing is about momentum - HP expects the Touchpad to do well and create buzz. I expect HP will want to launch the Pre3 very soon after the Touchpad while the shiny-newness and media buzz about the Touchpad is still high. HP wants to also sell a phone to each and every Touchpad owner. Which leads me to #2...

2. A large part of what HP is selling with WebOS involves wireless data sharing, particularly between tablet and phone. Now it is darn hard to demonstrate that to customers if there are no WebOS phones with touch to share.

I have zero inside information but my marketing sense says the Pre3 will launch in US within 2 weeks of Touchpad.
    Your #2 makes a great point. I never really thought about that.
    I'm betting we will be hearing a lot from HP and carriers very shortly after the TP launch as well.

hopefully within say, two weeks of July 1: definitive Pre3 carriers, official launch date, and pricing.
    The longer I wait, the more I talk myself out of buying a TouchPad. Same goes for the Pre 3. I played with a friends android on T-Mobile. Felt clunky and unorganized as hell, but certain things were just fast.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Personally, I've given up with HP/Palm. I've had a Pre- since launch day. I've even at points been a huge preacher for webOS in general. Talking a few people I know in to buying one. I love the community, I like the beautifully intuitive nature of webOS. But I was lied to about flash hitting my phone. I'm currently on my 4th pre. Mainly for broken power buttons. My current phone I have to wiggle it in the Oreo fashion to get the speaker to work, even when I'm using a Bluetooth headset. All of them have had cracks originating from the power socket. I've been playing with webOS 2.1 on my phone for about a week and while the features it provides are great it does tend to slow the phone down considerably. The recent locking out of 3rd parties from the app catalog is kind of the icing on the cake as to why I'm leaving webOS behind me. It was the community that was my favorite part of my phone. Back in the day the homebrew community showed Palm a thing or two about what this device could actually do.

All that being said I have decided to jump ship and go to Android. I'm not too thrilled about the decision but I believe it is one that I need to get enjoyment out of my phone. The features of webOS are great but if little to no one develops for it then what is the point? This could change in the future but I don't see it happening. I may in fact be wrong on this point and feel free to correct me but has H/Palm released camera or microphone API's yet? I know it had been talked about years ago but has it come to fruition yet? The relationship has soured in to unfulfilled promises in my humble opinion and I hope that maybe in the future webOS gets its stuff together goes to rehab and comes back a better mobile OS. But I'm not going to sit around and wait for that day. I as a consumer shouldn't be treated like that.

Reading the last few sentences aloud makes it sound like webOS is my ex-girlfriend. It's true though I love her but our relationship can not continue in it's current state. Anyway it's been great to be apart of this community and I hope one day I can come back and start fresh with webOS.

Cheers.
    Had to see my sister get an evo as her first smart phone few months back only b/c there was nothing out there for web os. Now she's gonna keep that phone for 2 years... when will web os ever reach her...
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwodarski View Post
    Personally, I've given up with HP/Palm. I've had a Pre- since launch day. I've even at points been a huge preacher for webOS in general. Talking a few people I know in to buying one. I love the community, I like the beautifully intuitive nature of webOS. But I was lied to about flash hitting my phone. I'm currently on my 4th pre. Mainly for broken power buttons. My current phone I have to wiggle it in the Oreo fashion to get the speaker to work, even when I'm using a Bluetooth headset. All of them have had cracks originating from the power socket. I've been playing with webOS 2.1 on my phone for about a week and while the features it provides are great it does tend to slow the phone down considerably. The recent locking out of 3rd parties from the app catalog is kind of the icing on the cake as to why I'm leaving webOS behind me. It was the community that was my favorite part of my phone. Back in the day the homebrew community showed Palm a thing or two about what this device could actually do.

All that being said I have decided to jump ship and go to Android. I'm not too thrilled about the decision but I believe it is one that I need to get enjoyment out of my phone. The features of webOS are great but if little to no one develops for it then what is the point? This could change in the future but I don't see it happening. I may in fact be wrong on this point and feel free to correct me but has H/Palm released camera or microphone API's yet? I know it had been talked about years ago but has it come to fruition yet? The relationship has soured in to unfulfilled promises in my humble opinion and I hope that maybe in the future webOS gets its stuff together goes to rehab and comes back a better mobile OS. But I'm not going to sit around and wait for that day. I as a consumer shouldn't be treated like that.

Reading the last few sentences aloud makes it sound like webOS is my ex-girlfriend. It's true though I love her but our relationship can not continue in it's current state. Anyway it's been great to be apart of this community and I hope one day I can come back and start fresh with webOS.

Cheers.
    I cannot say that I don't feel almost the same. Perhaps I am luckier than you, I only had one Palm Pre and didn't have anything broken, which is a good thing cause I had to pay almost SGD$900 for it and this is a German O2 phone. If it was broken, its bye bye 900 bucks.

The final straw for the phone was the power button which died some 1 month plus ago. There is no way I want to get a pre2 cause I know pre3 is coming or if ever. So I am officially stuck without any webOS/palm phone since getting my hands on a Treo 60.

So now its a chance for me to try other phone OS. Personally, I know apple is tempting, but I just don't like those zombie-like attitudes of apple users (whoah apple is great, who cares about your phone!), so the next best thing was an android and I got a Galaxy Tab.

I must say that after using the android, for once, I felt that my presence is appreciated by my phone. Finally, I could buy and download applications people have been using forever, something impossible if you are an Asian webOS user at the moment. For me though, UI is the most important aspect of using a phone and I constantly find myself pushing the wrong button and finding it troublesome to switch between applications and close them. Worst some applications don't behave like they were in the background and will relaunch again upon switching back. There is no sure way of know which application is really running (of course, with task killer and the likes you can) and its something that brings me back to WebOS over and over again, even from the apple IOS.

For now, I am an android user, but it won't be long... if and once pre3 is available I will most willing switch back to webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
    For now, I am an android user, but it won't be long... if and once pre3 is available I will most willing switch back to webOS.
    So you don't want to pick up the Pre2 because the Pre3 is coming but you got the Android until the Pre3 is released. Am I missing something here?

ET

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    So you don't want to pick up the Pre2 because the Pre3 is coming but you got the Android until the Pre3 is released. Am I missing something here?
    yes you are missing something for sure. lol

Pre2 is not available in Singapore. I have to buy it from a reseller who will ship it to me from UK or Germany. If there are any problems, I will have to send it back for repairs as support is non-existent in Asia. Also I have to fork out full price for the phone when I could get a discounted android phone from my telco here.

Also I am a bit ****ed off with the app catalog and geo-restriction. No point getting pre2 now and have the same problem or not able to buy apps and only have to suffer with a minimal set of free apps (and homebrew of course). I might as well have an android phone and enjoy unrestricted and a better customer experience ala download apps.
    The recent locking out of 3rd parties from the app catalog is kind of the icing on the cake as to why I'm leaving webOS behind me. It was the community that was my favorite part of my phone. Back in the day the homebrew community showed Palm a thing or two about what this device could actually do.
    You need to do a little more research on this. 3rd parties are not being locked out in the manner which you seem to think. HP has made it clear they needed to make changes for enterprise distribution, but they're still hard core behind home brew.

The features of webOS are great but if little to no one develops for it then what is the point?
    True, but what apps are you currently missing?

I may in fact be wrong on this point and feel free to correct me but has H/Palm released camera or microphone API's yet? I know it had been talked about years ago but has it come to fruition yet?
    The Mojo SDK for webOS 2.x released the APIs back in February or earlier. HP worked with developers to design the Enyo SDK for webOS 3.x to ensure APIs were there.

No offense, but it seems like you haven't been following things to closely for the past few months. If you feel like you're going to have a better user experience with Android, Windows Phone 7, Blackberry OS, or iOS, you should get one of those devices. I've played around with Android a little, and I have no interest in it at the moment.
    I am an android developer for a featured app company. I carry a pixi for my personal device. My contract is almost up so I have to consider whether I should buy an android phone (which would be good for work) or a Pre3 (because I love the UI) or an iPhone (for the multi-track recording apps). Honestly, I cant decide. As a composer, the ability to sketch out musical ideas that pop into my head at a moments notice is something I can not do without. I currently carry an iTouch as well as a pixi but Id rather have one device. The only device for that is an iPhone.

However, as an android dev for a major company I really should have an android phone instead of the pixi. But of the three UI's I think that android is the worst. Its clunky and lacking a designer's touch. (That said, the Honeycomb tablet UI looks spectacular. Its probably because they hired the guy who designed the WebOS UI to do it!)

Anyway, I too am tired of waiting. If the Pre3 is not out by August with a microphone API (so I can at least try to write a recording app myself) I am getting something else. WebOS is off the list. Love the UI but I hate that HP wants my SSN before it will tell me what I can do with their OS. Its like a Nigerian scam.

What really sucks for all of you is that you have probably heard of the company that I work for. We have prime time TV ads and everything. Our app is a top seller on iOS, android and blackberry. Its something that many if not most of you would seriously want on your WebOS devices. Sadly, I am the only person in the company who uses WebOS. And while there has been mention by my superiors of getting me to build an app for WebOS, if I loose interest in WebOS then there is really no chance for it to ever happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by xylenz View Post
    What really sucks for all of you is that you have probably heard of the company that I work for. We have prime time TV ads and everything. Our app is a top seller on iOS, android and blackberry. Its something that many if not most of you would seriously want on your WebOS devices. Sadly, I am the only person in the company who uses WebOS. And while there has been mention by my superiors of getting me to build an app for WebOS, if I loose interest in WebOS then there is really no chance for it to ever happen.
    Well then, let us bring offerings to your highness. Sorry I couldn't resist.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast