Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    It's really funny in here, everything is so sad and heartbreaking, lol. Sad/hearbreaking to me is when something serious happens to a loved one, not a fricken phone. Good news for all of you sad and heartbroken people, the TouchPad will be out soon and your tired and weary spirits can be lifted playing with it until the Pre 3 and other new webOS phones arrive.

i dont want a tablet i want a phone. i find tablets to be useless at least to me. also dosent seem like sprint is going to get the pre3 and no phone is worth losing 23% off my bill. i have played with android before and like webos way better but i need a new phone and the evo 3d seems to be the best one coming out( with a real date) right now
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    You can buy a fairly cheap Pre on eBay: Here's one for $39 Palm Pre - 8GB - Black (Sprint) Smartphone | eBay 4 hours 52 minutes left.

Palm Pre+ $39.99 Palm Pre Plus 16 GB Verizon | eBay

Worst case scenario....go buy a $20 dumb phone...

Just a couple of options... and that took me 20 seconds of looking to find those two. There's plenty of pages, and for $20 more(in a few cases) you can just buy it now.

There are options, to temporarily solve your problems, other than jumping ship if you're not sure you're ready to(Obviously you're not, otherwise you would have done so already).

I personally wouldn't have stuck it out as you have. I would have either have gotten one off of eBay or jumped ship. $39 is a flat of beer up here....4 packs of smokes... a light night out at the pub....I would have found a way
    If you buy a used Pre- somewhere and activate it to replace your existing Pre-, do you get hit with the $10 charge?

I've replaced my Pre- with a TEP refurb since the $10 surcharge went into effect and I'm NOT getting charged the surcharge, which is the correct, since it was a replacement for a malfunctioning phone. But I'm not sure of going outside of Sprint for the replacement.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    If you buy a used Pre- somewhere and activate it to replace your existing Pre-, do you get hit with the $10 charge?

I've replaced my Pre- with a TEP refurb since the $10 surcharge went into effect and I'm NOT getting charged the surcharge, which is the correct, since it was a replacement for a malfunctioning phone. But I'm not sure of going outside of Sprint for the replacement.
    Yup pretty much
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danstah View Post
    Yup pretty much
    Yeah I got hit with that charge too. I still need to call Sprint to complain about it-- it's ridiculous that by swapping to the SAME MODEL of phone that I've been using for 2 years that they'd just tack on another $10.

(Joke's on me for not using my 1 year premier upgrade to buy and later sell an EVO last summer. I could have made a few bucks).

As for the original topic at hand, I think the TouchPad is what will make me really tired of waiting. I'd gotten pretty fed up with waiting a couple months ago, but then bought a couple second-hand Pre's on eBay just to goof around with (doctoring and possibly franken-pre 2). Turns out one of them (which I paid around $20 for) is a refurb and in perfect condition. I've got WebOS 2.1 on there + Uberkernal to overclock it, and it's bought me some time to wait for another WebOS device to drop on sprint.

I really enjoy WebOS 2.1, it just really wants some more horsepower and memory to make it fly.
    I don't know how it works in the States, but I just looked into what it costs up here for Bell. I didn't get a definitive answer, but somewhere between $15-$25 to activate a "new" phone on an existing line. They did mention that if you did it yourself, online, you could do it for free. So that might be something worth looking into to see if you have a similar option.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I don't know how it works in the States, but I just looked into what it costs up here for Bell. I didn't get a definitive answer, but somewhere between $15-$25 to activate a "new" phone on an existing line. They did mention that if you did it yourself, online, you could do it for free. So that might be something worth looking into to see if you have a similar option.
    I activated online, actually. This $10 charge is a recurring, monthly charge, not an activation charge-- which is why I think it stinks.
    I misunderstood you then, & that does sound like a bit of a raw deal. I guess that's to help stop people from buying other carriers phones, unlocking them and then using those phones on their network?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I misunderstood you then, & that does sound like a bit of a raw deal. I guess that's to help stop people from buying other carriers phones, unlocking them and then using those phones on their network?
    I'm not really sure what the whole story is, you can't take a Sprint device to another US carrier, likewise with Verizon. Others here probably know better what this charge is about, but from what I understand, it's a smartphone data surcharge. Originally I thought they were tacking on $10 for using 4g (wi-max) phones (so they could account for extra data usage over non-4g phones without needing a separate plan, right?) but somehow the Pre is in this category now, even though it's still a 3g phone.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Now no one flinches at $100 sneakers.
    Sir, not only do I flinch, I suffer a seizure and projectile vomiting at the very thought of spending $100 on shoes....
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I am profoundly tired of waiting on hardware from HP/Palm. I've been working with Windows Phone 7 for a while and am mightily tempted by their $0.01 offer. If you haven't seen it, you can get a Windows Phone from the Microsoft Store for a penny with a 2 year contract.

Windows Phone is a nice OS, and will be a better OS when their "Mango" update ships in the fall.

The ONE thing that annoys the crap out of me most about iPhones, Windows Phones and Android phones after using WebOS is the lack of a discrete "Exit". The back-button-that- is-for-navigation-until-you-hit-the-last-page-and-then-it-is-the-exit-button is stupid. I like the WebOS notifications and multitasking, but that back button issue is the one that makes me crazy...

Even so, I'm having a hard time waiting. We've heard the dreaded "coming [insert time frame here]" so many times I'm dizzy.

My Pre Plus has lost it's first large chunk of plastic this week, so I'm especially susceptible to the Windows Phone NOW for a penny deal...

Really not sure what I'll do. I'm pretty well tied to Verizon, so who knows when they'll get the Pre 3 even after it is realeased...
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    so I was just listening to the thisismynext podcast with Josh Topolsky and he suggested a Fall end of Summer release for the Pre 3??? Fall? I hope he misspoke or is flat out wrong. Linked below. About the hour and twenty eight minute mark in the full podcast

HP TouchPad shipping July 1 for $499, pre-orders begin June 19 — and AT&T model coming soon | This is my next...
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffa00 View Post
    I am profoundly tired of waiting on hardware from HP/Palm.
    I feel like they're moving in slow motion next to the other major OS / device makers. I *hope* this terrible lag is due to the transition from Palm to HP, and that going forward things move more quickly. It's obscene how long it took for the Pre 2 to make it to North America. While a solid phone, it's what should have been released in NA in June of 2010 or so. *sigh* I think reading these forums and listening to rumors only makes the wait worse, so long as my phone is working fine. On the other hand, I sympathize with my fellow WebOS fans who've had the same Pre- since June 2009 and are in bad need of a new device.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    so I was just listening to the thisismynext podcast with Josh Topolsky and he suggested a Fall end of Summer release for the Pre 3??? Fall? I hope he misspoke or is flat out wrong. Linked below. About the hour and twenty eight minute mark in the full podcast

HP TouchPad shipping July 1 for $499, pre-orders begin June 19 and AT&T model coming soon | This is my next...
    I listened to that podcast earlier today, and I don't get the impression that Josh knows anything that we don't know. You can't help but feel how incredibly frustrated he is with Palm and HP's strategy, though. I can see his point-- why invest any resources in the Pixi / Pixi Plus / Veer when you're limited on resources and really need that flagship device out ASAP. I guess we'll see how the Veer does (I have to say though, more than half the women I know that have Palm devices are using Pixi's-- they don't necessary want to spend the money on iPhones, the Pixi was free when they got it, but they're hooked now.)
    I have a Pre2 GSM currently, and it is a great phone (and fun to develop for.)

However, I'm definitely starting to question the wisdom of developing apps for WebOS rather than Android.

I love the way WebOS works.

That said, with Android announcing the addition of features I've been looking forward to the Touchpad for (like touch to share), and the fact that the hardware of both the Touchpad and the Pre3 will be nearly antiquated by the time it launches makes me wonder if it isn't just going to end up going the way of the original Pre.

The pre3 has what, an Adreno 205 in it? Ugh. Very briefly after the release of either product, there will be stuff out there with the quad core Tegra in it.

The only thing really holding me on to possibly continuing to invest in WebOS is HP's massive electronics market penetration. While the tech specs of the upcoming WebOS devices don't blow my skirt up, if it looks pretty and functional to the millions of drones that buy Apple products and don't know a GPU from an alligator, then it could turn out to be very worthwhile.

I just wish they would have released the devices something on the order of weeks after announcing them. There really would have been no question in my mind then.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomit12 View Post
    I have a Pre2 GSM currently, and it is a great phone (and fun to develop for.)

However, I'm definitely starting to question the wisdom of developing apps for WebOS rather than Android.

I love the way WebOS works.

That said, with Android announcing the addition of features I've been looking forward to the Touchpad for (like touch to share), and the fact that the hardware of both the Touchpad and the Pre3 will be nearly antiquated by the time it launches makes me wonder if it isn't just going to end up going the way of the original Pre.

The pre3 has what, an Adreno 205 in it? Ugh. Very briefly after the release of either product, there will be stuff out there with the quad core Tegra in it.

The only thing really holding me on to possibly continuing to invest in WebOS is HP's massive electronics market penetration. While the tech specs of the upcoming WebOS devices don't blow my skirt up, if it looks pretty and functional to the millions of drones that buy Apple products and don't know a GPU from an alligator, then it could turn out to be very worthwhile.

I just wish they would have released the devices something on the order of weeks after announcing them. There really would have been no question in my mind then.

Let me answer your questions as best I can. If you decide to develop for Android instead of webOS, remember that, unless you have a distinctly unique and capable app that really stands out, you will get lost amongst the 100K+ apps in the Android app catalog. Developing for webOS gives you the best shot at making an app that gets noticed and your odds of hitting a big pay day are going to be a little better. It really depends on just how good and desirable your app is. If it's so great that everyone wants it, I would try to get it on both Android and iOS. Otherwise, you have a potential to make a mark with webOS that you will not have on the other two platforms. It all comes down to whether or not you think HP will be able to sell a lot of phones and tablets in the end. I think they will just because of their exposure and retail channel access. Shear volume, big displays at Walmart and Best Buy, and the HP name will go a long way to possibly breaking through the barrier (they don't have the Windows Mobile negative legacy that Win 7 has).

As to the specs of the Pre 3...it's going to be the fastest single core phone out there. All of these dual and quad core phones aren't going to be faster. Why? The operating systems and the apps aren't multi-core by nature. The overwhelming majority of apps won't be impacted by multi-core for another year. The single core 1GHz Pre 2 is already pretty much fast enough for most apps that will run on it for the next year to 18 months. The Pre 3's CPU is faster in raw clock, IPC, and GPU. And if you try to develop an app that only targets the high end GPU's, like the Tegra, then you will be greatly limiting the audience of your app. Most will continue to target GPU's in the class of the Pre 3 or slightly less.

Let's be brutally honest here, from a tech specs point of view, every phone released this year, by everyone, will be outdated in months. People need to stop worrying about whether or not their phone has every latest feature and is the fastest on the market. They need to start focusing on how the phone works in their daily lives to do the things they need and want. It's tough, being a real tech head, to live by this thinking, but I have managed to do it the last few years and saved a boat load of cash that I used to just pi** away on the latest and greatest video card and CPU.
    I dont want to set the phone up again
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Let me answer your questions as best I can. If you decide to develop for Android instead of webOS, remember that, unless you have a distinctly unique and capable app that really stands out, you will get lost amongst the 100K+ apps in the Android app catalog. Developing for webOS gives you the best shot at making an app that gets noticed and your odds of hitting a big pay day are going to be a little better. It really depends on just how good and desirable your app is. If it's so great that everyone wants it, I would try to get it on both Android and iOS. Otherwise, you have a potential to make a mark with webOS that you will not have on the other two platforms. It all comes down to whether or not you think HP will be able to sell a lot of phones and tablets in the end. I think they will just because of their exposure and retail channel access. Shear volume, big displays at Walmart and Best Buy, and the HP name will go a long way to possibly breaking through the barrier (they don't have the Windows Mobile negative legacy that Win 7 has).

As to the specs of the Pre 3...it's going to be the fastest single core phone out there. All of these dual and quad core phones aren't going to be faster. Why? The operating systems and the apps aren't multi-core by nature. The overwhelming majority of apps won't be impacted by multi-core for another year. The single core 1GHz Pre 2 is already pretty much fast enough for most apps that will run on it for the next year to 18 months. The Pre 3's CPU is faster in raw clock, IPC, and GPU. And if you try to develop an app that only targets the high end GPU's, like the Tegra, then you will be greatly limiting the audience of your app. Most will continue to target GPU's in the class of the Pre 3 or slightly less.

Let's be brutally honest here, from a tech specs point of view, every phone released this year, by everyone, will be outdated in months. People need to stop worrying about whether or not their phone has every latest feature and is the fastest on the market. They need to start focusing on how the phone works in their daily lives to do the things they need and want. It's tough, being a real tech head, to live by this thinking, but I have managed to do it the last few years and saved a boat load of cash that I used to just pi** away on the latest and greatest video card and CPU.
    I was going to agree/play devil's advocate with you, but I looked outside, and it's far too nice out for me to debate online right now...
  18. vpr
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffa00 View Post
    The ONE thing that annoys the crap out of me most about iPhones, Windows Phones and Android phones after using WebOS is the lack of a discrete "Exit". The back-button-that- is-for-navigation-until-you-hit-the-last-page-and-then-it-is-the-exit-button is stupid. I like the WebOS notifications and multitasking, but that back button issue is the one that makes me crazy...
    I haven't personally owned an Android or WP7 device, but I've messed with friends and in-store devices, isn't that what the "Home" button is for? If I want to exit something on these phones, I just press the "Home" button and it takes me out to the main screen usually.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vpr View Post
    I haven't personally owned an Android or WP7 device, but I've messed with friends and in-store devices, isn't that what the "Home" button is for? If I want to exit something on these phones, I just press the "Home" button and it takes me out to the main screen usually.
    Getting it to exit is not the problem I'm talking about. Accidently exiting by hitting the back button one time too many is what I'm talking about.

On all the mentioned platforms you can either hit the home button or keep hitting the back button to exit. That's fine when you want to exit, but I wind up hitting it once too often and exiting when I don't mean to.

WebOS has the discrete swipe-up, flick away gesture for exiting. You don't do that by accident very often.
    whats holding things up is the complete rewrite of the os in enyo for 3.0. All our basic apps were rewritten in enyo.

ive gotta look at porting my apps from mojo to enyo as well.

all this has taken costly time. With most of the rewrite done w release for touchpad heres hoping hp moves quicker.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast