Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    <sigh>
    I don't like the wait either but the "I can't wait 2 - 3 months so I'm going to settle for another platform" messages leaves me scratching my bald head. Its going to be pretty funny 4 months from now when all the new Pre 3 owners are going to be leaving "I love this phone" messages and you guys that couldn't wait are . . . .

ET

Another thread has evidence the Pre3 is being released in July. http://discussion.treocentral.com/hp...ting-july.html
    Last edited by etphoto; 06/08/2011 at 06:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I don't like the wait either but the "I can't wait 2 - 3 months so I'm going to settle for another platform" leaves me scratching my bald head. Its going to be pretty funny 4 months from now when all the new Pre 3 owners are going to be leaving "I love this phone" messages and you guys that couldn't wait are . . . .

ET
    Yeah, but right now my Pre- power button doesn't work, the bluetooth doesn't work, the earpiece doesn't work (all calls are on speaker phone) so how long would you put up with a "smartphone" that is half-operational?

3 months? 6 months? 9 months? Until hell freezes over?

I've been in this mode for three months now....and I can tell you that had HP not announced before the phone started going to crap I'd have already replaced it, but I can't afford to replace phones every couple of months just because, and I really can't afford to have a phone that only half works.
    This wait better be the calm before the storm and barrage of future webOS devices.

Apple succeeded by producing a stylish "cool" phone that stood out.
    Android succeeded with the a massive barrage of devices that were big and functional.
    Blackberry succeeded by producing a reliable phone.

What will make webOS succeed HP? I think it's a mix of iphone's style and android functionality. The reliability is in question. How will this be marketed?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    apple's app store was brilliant. Webos as a mobile platform is equally as brilliant. I got tired of waiting and got pre2 on vzw. Super happy with it. If I were on sprint I would franken pre2 that shiznatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by cplourde View Post
    Yeah, but right now my Pre- power button doesn't work, the bluetooth doesn't work, the earpiece doesn't work (all calls are on speaker phone) so how long would you put up with a "smartphone" that is half-operational?

3 months? 6 months? 9 months? Until hell freezes over?

I've been in this mode for three months now....and I can tell you that had HP not announced before the phone started going to crap I'd have already replaced it, but I can't afford to replace phones every couple of months just because, and I really can't afford to have a phone that only half works.
    You can buy a fairly cheap Pre on eBay: Here's one for $39 http://cgi.ebay.com/Palm-Pre-8GB-Bla...item27bb7f6beb 4 hours 52 minutes left.

Palm Pre+ $39.99 http://cgi.ebay.com/Palm-Pre-Plus-16...item3cb8b4531a

Worst case scenario....go buy a $20 dumb phone...

Just a couple of options... and that took me 20 seconds of looking to find those two. There's plenty of pages, and for $20 more(in a few cases) you can just buy it now.

There are options, to temporarily solve your problems, other than jumping ship if you're not sure you're ready to(Obviously you're not, otherwise you would have done so already).

I personally wouldn't have stuck it out as you have. I would have either have gotten one off of eBay or jumped ship. $39 is a flat of beer up here....4 packs of smokes... a light night out at the pub....I would have found a way
    Last edited by sledge007; 06/08/2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: fixed links
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    It is with a heavy heart that I am even considering leaving webos, but sadly I am. I just don't get this total silence. It's baffling. I still have a couple weeks until my upgrade but things are not looking good. There are actually 2 things pushing me away right now. First is NO indicated that the Pre3 will be availavle on Sprint, 'nuff said about that.

The other one has surprised even me. I got my wife a Nool Color and promptly rooted it. It runs pretty well and even though the OS can be aggrivating at times I have to say I LOVE the form factor. I thought 7" tablets were a joke, but for what I'd use it for its the ideal size. Perfect for using as a remote control, reading websites and great for games.

So now I am convinced I want a 7" tablet but there has been zero indication that such a thing will ever happen with webos. Add in the baffling move to eliminate the gesture area on the touchpad and I just don't know what to say.

So at this point, HP has 2 weeks before it loses 2 more customers and a major webos advocate
    Leaving WebOS won't be the worst thing you do in your life, if you just can't wait any longer.

Really. Life won't end, the world will still spin on its axis and revolve around the sun.

But, remember, you can always come back if you want, and thats the most important thing to remember.

Sometimes, it takes leaving something to really appreciate how much it was really worth to you, or not.

As I posted earlier, my Pre+ is overclocked, battery maximized, GRT cased, and happy as can be, as is its owner.

I don't NEED the Pre 3, but, when it comes out, I will carefully plan my move over to it, with patience and careful contemplation of all of he factors involved, because I WANT that bigger screen and faster processor and, most of all, the WebOS support/upgrade path continuity.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Touchpad was announced releasing on July 1st. It would be logical for the Pre3 to be expected later than that now. If HP is on a release schedule type of thing, Veer mid May, TouchPad July 1, then Pre3 would be mid August.

I'm not worried about hearing "ZOMG, I love my Pre3" when and if the Pre3 comes out. Android and iOS are rapidly closing the gap on webOS UI advantages, plus they come will any app you want, and a company behind the OS's that understands the mobile market.

Ice Cream Sandwich or Pre3. Whichever comes first, and it's starting to look like the Pre3 has no U.S. carriers at all.
    It's really funny in here, everything is so sad and heartbreaking, lol. Sad/hearbreaking to me is when something serious happens to a loved one, not a fricken phone. Good news for all of you sad and heartbroken people, the TouchPad will be out soon and your tired and weary spirits can be lifted playing with it until the Pre 3 and other new webOS phones arrive.
  11.    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    It's really funny in here, everything is so sad and heartbreaking, lol. Sad/hearbreaking to me is when something serious happens to a loved one, not a fricken phone. Good news for all of you sad and heartbroken people, the TouchPad will be out soon and your tired and weary spirits can be lifted playing with it until the Pre 3 and other new webOS phones arrive.
    this is Precnetral.net not Depression.com
    Tired of waiting? Nope... I'm getting the pre3 regardless of when it comes out because it goes beyond my needs and is exactly what I want. But till it comes out I'm happy with my pre2
    Of course his isn't as bad as a loved one passing but it is a site designed to talk about webs tech and People can be disappointed and frustrated over lack of info and new hardware. I was and had planned on switching to Att for the Pre 3 along with my daughter and wife who also sport webs phones. Well after Monday's iOS 5 announcement and still nothing with webos I decided to switch to Att anyways cause of better service at my house and we all got the iPhones. Didn't want to do it but maybe we will come back to webs in a year. I got to tell you though, iOS and the ip4 is awesome! Hardware is amazing and everything just works! Plus the amount of apps available is amazing. Just made a quick iMovie video and it was so cool. Not sure why I didn't switch last year. Webs in my oppion is the best os, but they are still in baby stage...my other fear was when the Pre 3 does come out will it really have the support of some big name apps? Probably not, we are still waiting on a full office suite 2 yrs later :/. I do have a Pre 2 available that I will sell for $280 shipped

Ken
    I've decided that a lot of people have adopted their preferred platform as something close to a sports team. It's like my Twins being the worst team in MLB right now. Depressing, but they've just won 6 of 7 so there is still hope, right?
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I was alright until today when I saw that the Touchpad's release date was announced, and the Pre3's wasn't. I guess I just don't have the insight of the marketing team over at HP, but the biggest advantage of the Touchpad is the integration with the Pre3. Touch to share capabilities aren't that impressive when you only have half the devices needed to share.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cntchds View Post
    I was alright until today when I saw that the Touchpad's release date was announced, and the Pre3's wasn't. I guess I just don't have the insight of the marketing team over at HP, but the biggest advantage of the Touchpad is the integration with the Pre3. Touch to share capabilities aren't that impressive when you only have half the devices needed to share.
    Exactly! One of your biggest assets over the iOS system and you don't mention the release date/carrier of the companion product.

Still some time left to do so, but...

This waiting for the Pre3 is getting to me.
    The thing I don't understand is that the Pre3 is running on webOS 2.3 at launch while the TouchPad is running on Enyo, webOS 3.x, isn't it?

The Pre3 has been in working form since February 9th or earlier, and it runs on the same OS that the Veer and Pre2 have, but it's taking longer to push to market than the TouchPad? It's such a very strange marketing method by HP. So very, very strange.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    So now I am convinced I want a 7" tablet but there has been zero indication that such a thing will ever happen with webos.
    I think there are a bunch of old rumors (or maybe even old but direct evidence) that HP will be releasing a 7" tablet this fall/winter. That's Opal, right?
    @cplourde found this pre + Palm Pre Plus - 16GB - Black (Verizon) CLEAN ESN | eBay
    would have bid on it myself except no shipping to Canada, current bid is $20.50

edit here's a Pre - (advertised as a Plus, obviously not) listed at $6. http://cgi.ebay.com/Palm-Pre-Plus-/2...item3f0a8ec1a3
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Ha ha! Thanks for the laugh
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne