Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    anyone know the uk release (if there is one) what network if any it will be released on?

as my O2 Palm Pre contract is up (now) and I am either looking at HTC HD7 or BB Bold. my poor pre needs charging 3 times a day and the slider mechanism is on the way out.
    Regards
    No information on release dates or carriers has been released yet. Although I do believe O2 UK said they wouldn't be carrying the Pre 3.

For the time being I recommend picking up a Pre 2 from ebay. They're selling really cheap on ebay at the moment, check this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-2s-ebay.html

From what I've seen prices go from around £120 - £150. I bought one yesterday for £116.
    I replaced the battery on my O2 pre minus after a year to a mugen 1400mAh and the battery life has been great. Astonred I was in the same situation as you back in April when my O2 contract expired. Was looking at other handsets but tbh webOS beats android and iOS hands down, was going to wait out for the pre 3 but as markdwaterman said the pre 2 is going for silly money on eBay just now so I picked one up. You will still keep all your apps from your pre minus and when the pre 3 comes along you can just upgrade to that. For the time being you can even move onto an O2 simplicity 30 day contract which is even less per month. Gives you something to think about and fingers crossed we don't need to wait aslong for the pre 3 like we had to wait for the original pre on O2 back in October/November 09.
    Last edited by PreUK; 06/05/2011 at 01:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I'm patiently waiting to get a Pre3 on release in the UK also. I'd be looking to pick up a sim free model so hopefully should avoid any delays from the networks!

A date would be really good though, I hope they don't wait too long because if Mr Jobs announces the iPhone 4S/5 tomorrow I may well be lead down the iPhone & iPad 2 route rather than Pre3 & Touchpad.....
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I work for O2 Broadband and get a good staff deal on my mobile so switching to another provider isn't really an option.

My Palm Pre contract just ended so I got a Samsung Galaxy S2 for free on a new 24 month contract. Will be putting it straight on gumtree then using the cash to buy a Pre 3 from the states when they finally come out.

Don't want the German one due to the non QWERTY keyboard.

Have been tempted by the Pre 2s on ebay though. A little over £100 isn't too shabby at all.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Just seen the thing about HP employees in the UK being offered the Pre 2 for £99. Think I know a few folk that work there so might be tempted at that price

I wonder if they'll be able to get me a good price on the Touchpad when it comes out......???
  7.    #7  
    Well, went into O2 and got a Samsung Galaxy SII for £27 a month and a one off payment of £49.99 for the handset on a 24 month contract. 300mins, unlimited txts and 500mb data. Bit of a difference from my £35 a month contract and one off phone payment of £99.99 for my Pre.

If I stayed with my Pre (knackered battery and slider going) my tariff would go down to £25 a month so an extra £2 a month for a nice shiny new phone didn't sound too bad to me.

Currently I think I will use the Galaxy and will have a look at buying an unlocked Pre 3 when it comes out in the UK and swap handsets.

I will say this I have had the Galaxy 2 for 2 days now and already I miss the ease of use and simplicity of webos. Android's nice but seems to me like a lot of excess tapping to get what you need.

How about webos on the Galaxy 2?

Has to be said Galaxy is very nice handset (hardware-wise).

I will of course continue to follow this site and take a keen interest in all things HP/Palm/Webos.

Palm M100, Sony Clie's NX70, TH55, TJ27, UX50, Palm TX, Palm Centro, Palm Pre all fantastic devices now to Galaxy S2 and android - feel like I'm letting the side down but I will come back to the light.
    Last edited by astonred; 06/08/2011 at 04:50 AM.
    Regards
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Still no mention of a UK release date.......

I can't believe they announced the phone in Feb and it's still not ready for Prime time!
    i love webOS, having migrated over from the iPhone, but i am more disappointed by the lack of interest in webOS from uk networks. i was kind of hoping that the VEER may have been picked up on a uk network by now, thus making me think the PRE3 would follow. HP have not indicated that they are even in negotiations with any uk network...

i would love a PRE3 when it finally gets released, but financially i am not in a position to buy an 'unlocked' PRE3. my contract is now up for renewal and as a mac user, sadly i can see myself moving back to the iPhone....
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I ended up selling my Samsung Galaxy S2 for £380 on gumtree (free upgrade) which is enough to cover the cost of an unlocked Pre 3 from the states.

Probably the best option for UK users until someone makes an official announcement.
    Just been on carphonewraehouse site and their coming soon shows a pre3 coming in august, no mention of network but still at least its coming!!!!!!
  12. H
    Link for the lazy :P
    Pre-register for the HP Pre3
    thanks!!!!! thought I forgot something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. sde
    Has anyone read the cpw link ???

The all-new HP Pre3 is a super-charged smartphone powered by HP webOS. Thin, slick, fast and smart, HP Pre3 combines a gorgeous touchscreen with a slide-out QWERTY keyboard and a robust battery life. It gives you an incredible web and multimedia experience, blazing-fast downloads and business-class email.

•NEW HP webOS software built from the ground up to do more, faster