Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Just noticed that the first 64 GB microsd cards are starting to come out.

Meanwhile, since my Sprint Pre died, I've been using an Optimus S. I LOVE that it has a microSD slot. I can keep all of my music on it.

Sadly, however, HP is only giving the Pre3 16gb of memory. Just enough for apps and a few media files. I guess they want to force Pre users to store all their music on the HP "cloud." More ways to profit from and gather information about Pre users, I guess.

Well, I think the lack of a microsd card sucks. And I just can't see myself going back to an HP (not Palm anymore) product, that treats customers like this. Anyone agree?

Well, who knows? Maybe the Pre 4 will have a microsd card. I sure hope so. I'd love to go back to WebOS and the Pre form factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by hopfrog View Post
    Sadly, however, HP is only giving the Pre3 16gb of memory. Just enough for apps and a few media files. I guess they want to force Pre users to store all their music on the HP "cloud." More ways to profit from and gather information about Pre users, I guess.

Well, I think the lack of a microsd card sucks. And I just can't see myself going back to an HP (not Palm anymore) product, that treats customers like this. Anyone agree?
    Treats their customers like what? I have said many a time for a mobile device 16 gigs is plenty of space for MOST users.

How does 16gigs = "just enough for apps and a few media files"? I have a Pre-, around 1 gig free, 1000ish photos (running over a gig including the videos I have taken), some other random short video content, a gig of podcasts, a gig+ of music, quite a few apps (all 3 angry birds, at least 5 or 6 other PDK games, etc).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Dealbreaker? Not even close.
    I would not consider absence of expandable memory as dealbreaker. But, on other hand, I do not see reason why HP decided not to implement microSD. Many of us here do not want to carry around all music we had ever purchased, so it's not an issue for many users.
    Last edited by chalx; 06/03/2011 at 05:47 PM.
    To be fair HD video will take up a lot more space than normal video, but I agree with OldSkoolVWLover.

Do you really need 5,000 songs stored locally on your phone? Who buys 5,000 songs (you know, legally obtains them) anymore, anyway? I can easily make due with 200-300 songs stored on my device for when I'm without wifi or a data connection. Otherwise I have access to thousands of songs with Pandora and Grooveshark that suit my wide range of musical tastes.

I'm almost never without a connection so I think the add on card is a nice idea for the small percentage of users that would like it, but it's no deal breaker for most of us. What's impact on speed by having all microSD? I guess I haven't spent any time looking up how quick the onboard storage for smartphones really is in comparison to the microSD memory.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Not a dealbreaker but the 8GB German version is a dealbreaker so ive cancelled my preorder.
    Last edited by Andreas; 06/03/2011 at 06:13 PM.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    I've actually found that my 'limited' space on my Pre enables me to actually choose music to listen to, rather than simply having everything at my fingertips. Since I stopped using a large iPod I've actually enjoyed listening to specific albums again. I don't understand why you would need more than 16. Remember, it is, in fact a phone. If you want a bazillion songs (more than 16 gigs) get a shuffle.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    *get a shuffle too

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  9. mus
    You could invest in one of these: airstash
    It seems the product targets the IOS line but it should work with the WebOS line. A possible drawback (besides the price) is that while connected to the unit you loose your network connection.
    Dealbreaker? How if they're pushing the pre 3 corporate/business device. No memory card makes for better security. Imagine loss of sensitive info. I know many that have lost their droid phones along with their 4GB micro sd cards and can't get it back. I heard of someone from a friend that knew of someone with naked pics of their significant other, just hope it's not spread on the internet.
    I have never used a microSD in a phone. And I'm sure enterprise buyers could care less how many songs it holds. HP is marketing their products as the "businessman's personal phone." That market really only want a few apps and secure email access and that's about it.

Contrary to Apple's position, watching a movie on a phone is not a major draw for most people. Even Netflix has said that the number of people using their phones to watch movies is microscopic when compared to those who use computers or tablets. The smaller screen of a phone is just too small for most people to watch anything on.

As for music, I have about 2GB of music I listen to on a rotating basis. Even on my soon to be replaced 16GB iPhone 4, I still have several GBs free (and I'm mostly hold music I don't listen to).
    Last edited by bobsentell; 06/03/2011 at 08:15 PM.
    HP wants to control our data. Just like Google, Facebook, etc.

It's absurd to have a modern phone with a cap on data storage. The idea that cloud storage is any more secure is laughable. Nothing online is absolutely secure.

I for one am sick and tired of relying on the unreliable cloud and watching my phone chugging away, trying to finish downloading the file I want. The file that could be on my micro SD card.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I'd love to have the option but its certainly not a deal breaker. My 8 gig Pre minus carries a lot of data, so I can only imagine how much more I could cram onto 16.
    why have sd when internal storage is increasing? Can't remote wipe sd cards.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    My June '09 Sprint Pre still has 2 gigs left over. I have plenty of music, photos, videos and apps/games.

That being said, I almost always use Pandora, when I have coverage. And I have even more photos on my Zumo Drive.

16 gigs is more than I'll ever need; I'll just have to start using my phone as a flash drive to make use of the extra storage (I'm talking about my future Pre3...).

P.S. Did you know that you can actually swap out your old songs for new ones? Wow!
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    16 GB are fully sufficient. And if you need access to millions of songs, try out good old Grooveshark !
    I have full discographies of Pink Floyd, Jean-Michel Jarre, Sigur Ros, Ólafur Arnalds and Pearl Jam on my Pre Plus. It's nowhere close to being full.

And I'd rather use Dropbox to shuffle files between devices.

Would more space be cool? Yes. Is more space necessary? No. Would I pay more for a 32GB or 64GB version? Hell No!
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I have full discographies of Pink Floyd, Jean-Michel Jarre, Sigur Ros, Ólafur Arnalds and Pearl Jam on my Pre Plus. It's nowhere close to being full.

And I'd rather use Dropbox to shuffle files between devices.

Would more space be cool? Yes. Is more space necessary? No. Would I pay more for a 32GB or 64GB version? Hell No!
    Ive ripped my fav CD's to lossless format and that combined with some pictures that will likely take even more space on a Pre3 with higher res camera fills 8GB pretty fast. I know this thread is about the 16GB but HP is launching the 8GB in Germany so at the moment it seems to be the only version we in Europe can get hold of, hence im passing on a Pre3 until its 16GB.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    the usb hdd function helps. so, sd slot is good to have, but not deal breaker.

its a deal breaker for iphone. it has no sd slot, and no usb hdd function.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    With Apple, Google, Amazon etc pushing these cloud services mSD cards in phones will soon be feature of the past. the money for these companies in not in the phones, its in the apps and services.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast