Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    it is not an issue for me. 16 GB is probably double what I need.
    Quote Originally Posted by lancepr View Post
    With Apple, Google, Amazon etc pushing these cloud services mSD cards in phones will soon be feature of the past. the money for these companies in not in the phones, its in the apps and services.
    So does anyone else see the irony here? We keep hearing "sd card not needed because of storage in the cloud". Yet carrier after carrier is going to capped data plans. How good is that cloud storage going to be if you data is capped at 2GB?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Ive ripped my fav CD's to lossless format and that combined with some pictures that will likely take even more space on a Pre3 with higher res camera fills 8GB pretty fast. I know this thread is about the 16GB but HP is launching the 8GB in Germany so at the moment it seems to be the only version we in Europe can get hold of, hence im passing on a Pre3 until its 16GB.
    Have we seen confirmation of an 8 gig version? I know there was that ad that changed from 16 to 8, but I don't recall seeing anything official stating you were only getting 8 gigs, maybe I missed it.

If I were concerned with lossless audio, I wouldn't be using it on my cell phone, just my personal thought.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Have we seen confirmation of an 8 gig version? I know there was that ad that changed from 16 to 8, but I don't recall seeing anything official stating you were only getting 8 gigs, maybe I missed it.

If I were concerned with lossless audio, I wouldn't be using it on my cell phone, just my personal thought.
    I'm with you there. The only argument I could really see for using such a big file size is you might want to transfer those songs to another device where the sound quality is noticeable. I'm no audiophile and don't buy high end audio gear so I usually cant tell a difference anyway.

surely there's a but its Beats Audio joke in here somewhere
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    So does anyone else see the irony here? We keep hearing "sd card not needed because of storage in the cloud". Yet carrier after carrier is going to capped data plans. How good is that cloud storage going to be if you data is capped at 2GB?
    I see bandwidth "partners" in the near future. Apple will cut a deal with ATT/VZW to not charge bandwidth for their services, I could see Amazon and Google doing similar things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Well it's a good thing you can choose to have at least 16GB of local storage and transfer files between your computer and Pre3, then, I guess. 16GB is storage space that few people ever fill up as it is.

When people start actually using more data, the data caps will increase. The carriers are expanding bandwidth, but not fast enough to deal with the few people who are too lazy to use wi-fi. How many places do you not have access to wi-fi?
    I'd rather have an sd slot on the touchpad!
    At work, I don't want to use wifi, but I have unlimited data.
    There are many advantages to a microSD card.

Save Money
    Why not buy the less expensive version of a phone or tablet and add a stupidly cheap microSD card at 16 GB for about $26 or 32 GB AT around $55? Even a 32GB Class 10 is only $80.

Pay Later, Get More
    Battery yet, why not wait until you need the extra space and let prices and speed continue to improve?

Reduce the Pain
    Say you are on your fifth refurb of a phone. (Yes, I am...) Wouldn't it have been nice to have an app like MyBackup Pro to backup to the microSD each time so that all your account and setup info would transfer?

Better Upgrades
    If you get a new phone, do you want to take all your music, photos, videos, and settings with you? How about your old emails, texts, homescreens, etc.?

Pick Your Own In-Flight Movie
    When you travel, would you like to take along 10 or so movies (~1.5GB ea)?

Almost Unlimited Apps
    With a big microSD card, you are almost unlimited in the number of apps you can have if you have an app like Apps 2 SD to put them on the card.

Backup Your PC
    Now that microSD is so cheap, why not have most of your music and photos backed up to your phone?

Stop Planned Obsolescence
    Have you ever had a computer or phone and later wished that you had less memory? The 64GB microSD's are coming 128GB SD's are already here to those are next.

microSD slots cost the OEM about $3 according to the tear down reports and take almost no room. The reason to not include microSD slots is so you can get $100 for $10 of memory and to force upgrades sooner.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/04/2011 at 06:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosabilene View Post
    HP wants to control our data. Just like Google, Facebook, etc.
    Sad but true.

It's absurd to have a modern phone with a cap on data storage. The idea that cloud storage is any more secure is laughable. Nothing online is absolutely secure.

I for one am sick and tired of relying on the unreliable cloud and watching my phone chugging away, trying to finish downloading the file I want. The file that could be on my micro SD card.
    +1.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    There are many advantages to a microSD card.

<snip>

microSD slots cost the OEM about $3 according to the tear down reports and take almost no room. The reason to not include microSD slots is so you can get $100 for $10 of memory and to force upgrades sooner.
    But all of these only matter to power users. Businesses don't care about any of these. They will all buy the cheapest version and use their own IT department to determine what is on it or not. If this is a personal phone of a business man, again, they don't care about all this stuff. HP is pushing Enterprise on this phone. That is where they can beat Apple. So while a microSD card is great for powerusers and nerds, they are not all that important to the average user or targeted businesses.

And adding a slot is more expensive than the slot itself. You have to modify the circuit design, add more ICT and FCT tests to test the port, write code for the software to use it, and then verify that every possible manufacturers' cards will work. If you add 2 seconds additional time to a 60 second circuit test, you go from being able to test 60 per hour to only being able to test 39 per hour. Over the course of an 8-hour shift, that ends up being a difference of 168 units. Add two more shifts and a seven day work week and you can see that two seconds adds up. So why go through the expense and trouble of adding a microSD slot when only a small fraction of your buyers would ever use the thing to begin with?
    Last edited by bobsentell; 06/04/2011 at 08:56 PM.
    i believe a sd card is a must for any new phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    But all of these only matter to power users. Businesses don't care about any of these. They will all buy the cheapest version
    The cheapest feature phones have microSD cards. "Free" phones have microSD cards. You have to pay a premium to get a phone without a microSD card slot.

microSD Saves Money
    Business can buy a 8GB version and pay $15 for an 8GB microSD card.
    That saves the $100 premium to go to a 16GB model.

Pay Later, Get More
    Get the minimum you need today. Upgrade memory if and when you need.
    Businesses never want to spend a dime today they can put off until tomorrow.

Better Upgrades
    IT can just backup to the card, put it in the new phone and update. Done.
    Settings, homescreen layout, past texts, phone history, all go on the new phone.

Stop Planned Obsolescence
    Businesses no longer have to buy the bigger one in case it's needed later. Buy the 8GB now. Upgrade to a 16GB, 32GB, or later this year a 64GB card. Next year get the 128GB card if needed.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post

I sure hope this is incorrect but the info we got so far with HP sliedshows mentioning 8/16GB versions, demo units sporting 8GB and the German resellers saying its 8GB sadly points towards a 8GB version.

Doesnt reallly matter what audio format I use, 8GB aint much today can be easily filled.
    Last edited by Andreas; 06/05/2011 at 08:19 AM.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    I too haven't used an SD card since 2009 (HTC Herald). It was slow and buggy even though the card was high end.

I'm hardly using 8GB of the 16GB on my Pre Plus, so I couldn't care less to have 32GB, 64GB or 128GB.

would the option be nice? Yeah, options always are. Is it a deal breaker? Hahaha no, and I think it only is for a tiny minority.
    It's absurd to have a modern phone with a cap on data storage. The idea that cloud storage is any more secure is laughable. Nothing online is absolutely secure.
    Talking about absolute security is pointless. There is only the question of whether it's secure enough. What is secure enough? That depends on what's being secured. If you're storing PDF documents that are available elsewhere but you're placing them in your cloud storage for convenience, very little security is necessary. As the information they contain becomes more valuable and less replaceable, the security requirements go up. Once they start containing things like Social Security numbers, health records, or other vital information, the security requirement gets very strong.

I can pretty much guarantee that cloud storage from any major provider is going to be much better than most people will set up on their personal phones. Even if someone puts a PIN on their phone, at what point is it activated? How long does someone have to grab the phone, run off to a safe location, and start accessing its data before it locks? There's also the length of the PIN, and anyone serious about getting to the data is going to have some forensic recovery tools which, depending on the data targeted, are not that expensive which may even make the PIN unnecessary.

The cloud provider has an interest in providing the best security available for the money being spent. Look at what's happening with DropBox. It's getting lashed badly in the tech media for its security, and is under investigation by the FTC because of claims that it made about the inaccessibility of data stored on its servers. (It's not encrypted in such a way that it cannot be decrypted by anyone but the user, despite their initial claims.) It's unclear how much harm it's done to them, but it's at least dented them fairly badly. Others are learning from this and implementing new methods or changing their claims.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Space is only an issue when you run out, and I'm only using half of the 16 GB on my Pre 2. If I had 128 it wouldn't matter. So I'm good with 16 GB.

if the device doesn't meet your requirements, vote with your wallet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    My 8 gig Pre minus carries a lot of data, so I can only imagine how much more I could cram onto 16.
    Twice as much.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, I would like one with expandable memory, but I most certainly don't feel an all powerful need to carry my entire music collection with me. Plus, there is no point in ever putting HD video on a phone unless it has an HDMI output because the screen isn't HD. (and don't get me started on how useless HDMI is on a phone for 99.999999% of the market) Videos that have been properly converted for use on a a screen with the resolution found on your phone should be perfectly watchable at well under 350mb. If you can't squeeze it down at least that far, you're doing it wrong. And of course, all that becomes irrelevant as soon as you realize that watching anything longer than a half hour TV show on your phone is both lame AND pointless.

I do understand that there are audiphiles out there who really do feel the urge to carry hundreds of hours of music around with them at all times, but maybe that's just not the target market for the Pre3. You can't make a single device that will be everything to everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    if the device doesn't meet your requirements, vote with your wallet.
    That is good advice 100% of the time. The only thing I would add, is that you should follow that up with a polite note to HP about why you wallet-voted the way you did, and what they need to change to get your business next time. I think those who would view the lack of micro-SD as a deal breaker are a tiny minority, but if I'm wrong, HP can change given enough feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    When people start actually using more data, the data caps will increase. The carriers are expanding bandwidth, but not fast enough to deal with the few people who are too lazy to use wi-fi. How many places do you not have access to wi-fi?
    First that is an absolute terrible argument. If people were not using that amount of data -- no one would care if their data was capped. Obviously people ARE using that much data or there would be no need to cap anyone! There will be no speed limits on freeways once cars can go fast enough to go beyond the current speed limit.

And yes, I can think of TONS of times where I have no access to WIFI: while driving listening to Pandora or some other streaming service, while at work (sure they have WIFI, but it is locked down to company owned laptops and not available to employee owned devices), while walking down the street, while sitting at an airport where you don't want to pay $9.95 to use WIFI for 24 hours (only to have to pay the same amount again at the next airport that you have a layover at).

People have to get over that everyone uses their devices differently. Just because YOU are very rarely anywhere that doesn't have WIFI doesn't mean there aren't a whole lot of people who aren't.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast