1.    #1  
    I don't understand why the pre 3 wouldn't come out at the same time as the touch pad or days to weeks at the most later. 2 major features that people are looking forward to are the "touch to share" and the "video chat" feature. If the pre 3 isn't available at launch, those features won't work? For sure the touch to share won't, and unless they have the ffc baked into a wife enabled calling feature then that's not gonna work either. In one video of the pre 3 camera app there wasn't even a button to switch to the ffc? I am switching to atv this month because they have better service at my home and I hate to say it but if we don't have any info by the end of next week, all 3 of my lines will move from webos (Franklin pre 2, pre-, and Pixi) to ios :/. Don't want to but I have held out for way to long. Please hp make some kind of announcement!

ken
    The Veer is documented to work with the Touchpad with the same capabilities as mentioned with the Pre3. So, why rush the Pre3?
    The wifi only version of the Touchpad doesn't have to bother with carrier agreements on training, subsidies, etc as well as probably fewer tests to pass FCC testing than the Pre3. They'll probably do what they did with the Veer and announce the carriers a couple weeks in advance of it shipping.
    This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.
    Bluetooth is a trademark of its proprietor and used by Hewlett-Packard Company under license. Facebook is a trademark of Facebook, Inc. Google, Gmail, and Google Maps are trademarks of Google, Inc. LinkedIn and the LinkedIn logo are registered trademarks of LinkedIn Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Not all apps available on all devices. All screen images simulated.
    Got this from HpwebOS site

Does this mean it still has to go thru FCC testing or FCC is keeping in confidential???
    They need a WiFi only version of the Pre 3..like an iPod touch....
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    will it be impossible to video conference between a pre3 and a tp, if they both are on the same WebOS profile?

[sorry to take the thread on a tangent]
    I think that might have been viable a year or two ago, but I'm not sure if that's such a good idea now. I believe sales for the ipod touch is dwindling and the zune is out of the market altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    They need a WiFi only version of the Pre 3..like an iPod touch....
    No market for that.... well I guess I should say the only market for that is saturated by apple, HP doesn't need to spend any resources trying to get into that market.

I would have to guess that that market is shrinking rapidly with the amount of various smartphones out there as well as apple now on two carriers and multiple versions of iPhone still out on the market.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    will it be impossible to video conference between a pre3 and a tp, if they both are on the same WebOS profile?

[sorry to take the thread on a tangent]
    if they are both 3g, they should.
    Quote Originally Posted by sherard View Post
    The Veer is documented to work with the Touchpad with the same capabilities as mentioned with the Pre3. So, why rush the Pre3?
    Because by the time the att carrier approves the OTA update for Veer it would be end of December
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  11.    #11  
    Exactly as kkhanmd has stated. In order for the Veer to have this capability, it has to have an OTA update. If the touchpad is weeks away, I dont see them getting the Veer updated by the time the touchpad releases...hence those features of the touchpad don't exisit :/ So frustrating and I hope I am wrong because I would love to switch to att and have a choice of the Pre 3.

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by sherard View Post
    It's not possible to rush the Pre3. It's already horrendously delayed. The phone was announced February 9th. Almost exactly 4 months ago. As far as why they would want to get the Pre3 out as soon as possible, that's pretty obvious. Not many people want a Veer, and smartphones aren't like fine wines. They don't age well.

I don't know what to expect in regard to the Pre3 release date at this point. I'm not waiting until September. I didn't think I was going to wait this long, actually.
    the Pre3 is said to be available in germany on July 1st. When the Touchpad becomes available mid-end june, they come practically at the same time. So what's the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    It's not possible to rush the Pre3. It's already horrendously delayed. The phone was announced February 9th. Almost exactly 4 months ago. As far as why they would want to get the Pre3 out as soon as possible, that's pretty obvious. Not many people want a Veer, and smartphones aren't like fine wines. They don't age well.

I don't know what to expect in regard to the Pre3 release date at this point. I'm not waiting until September. I didn't think I was going to wait this long, actually.
    They said "Summer." Summer starts on June 21. They have time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    They said "Summer." Summer starts on June 21. They have time.
    This. Whats a couple extra weeks when you'll be stuck with the device for a 2 years/year?
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Summer is June 21 to Sept 23. They will have it out in Summer. Just because the days are warmer, doesn't mean its summer yet.
  17.    #17  
    That would be great if it was only a week or to behind I'm not sure what info you have that says it will be out the first of july but we have no info here in the states other than "summer". My point is and has been from the beginning, why wouldn't they come out at the same time or really close...it would be another stupid move by hp/palm if they didn't.

Ken

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post

If you think about the fact that Palm has to re-write their webOS apps with Enyo, and they hope every developer will re-write their apps in Enyo while also creating new ones... it's sort of like the time between announcing the original Pre and when it was finally released...

So from that perspective they had to start over when the Enyo SDK became available (on or around Feb 9th) and to basically go from zero to a shipping OS in 6-8 months would be pretty impressive.

Since I'm not a developer, I can't question whether the Enyo/3.x leap was a good one over the long term, but as a user I can say that they need to wait until 3.x is as mature/feature-rich as 2.x is now... if they launch the TouchPad and/or Pre3 with something that feels like a 1.0 release... it will be all over. Palm users might go for it, but enterprise customers have other choices and wouldn't adopt something that wasn't robust and up to par with the features found on the competition.

My view is that they need to take as much time as they need to make it a fantastic product. The PlayBook (and to some extent the Xoom) have been hammered for being rushed to market before the user experience and basic features were ready.

My upgrade is due at the end of the year... I'm going to be more than happy to let someone else grab anything they ship in June-August let them deliver at least one update before I jump. That's certainly been how the Pre2/2.x experience has gone. Those of us with a Pre2 running 2.0 are wondering why they released something so buggy when 2.1 was close behind and has so many bug fixes.
    Quote Originally Posted by brdl04 View Post
    Summer is June 21 to Sept 23. They will have it out in Summer. Just because the days are warmer, doesn't mean its summer yet.
    Warmer???? **** why didn't anyone tell me, I live in CA and it's raining (AGAIN!!!).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...