Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    I'm paying the additional $10 for my sprintified Pre 2 even though it doesn't have 4G.
    Did you have to activate another Pre before sprintifying? If you did and you were using a Pre previously on the same line I would call customer service, other folks that replaced their Pre with a Pre have gotten the $10 removed.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah, veer 4g is more like 3g+
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    I didn't think LTE had as much to do with CDMA as it did with GSM, or maybe not much with either, even though it's backwards compatible...
    LTE ~ GSM World
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    I didn't think LTE had as much to do with CDMA as it did with GSM, or maybe not much with either, even though it's backwards compatible...
    LTE ~ GSM World
    VZW is using LTE, and Sprint has mentioned it has/is considering a switch from WiMax to LTE.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Did you have to activate another Pre before sprintifying? If you did and you were using a Pre previously on the same line I would call customer service, other folks that replaced their Pre with a Pre have gotten the $10 removed.
    Do this. I have a sprint pre 2 and they put the 0 dollar premium data fee on it.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    What loss in battery life would you have if you turned the LTE/WiMax radio off?
    Do you understand what turning off 4G means? It means NO 4G, which is exactly what I was saying.

Plus I don't think you can turn off 4G in some phones.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Here's what you said

Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    I would rather not have wimax or lte. Both networks are not developed enough to make the loss in battery life worth the trade off in a slight speed increase for me.
    I read that as you didn't want 4g just like Syndil did. Turning off 4g meanings having 4g, just not using it. Not the same thing as "No 4g."

HTC was stupid to release the thunderbolt w/o the option and I believe they're either working on having the option or already released it (i don't keep up with android lol). All of the sprint 4g devices that I know of are capable of disabling 4g.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheX-Man View Post
    Here's what you said

I read that as you didn't want 4g just like Syndil did. Turning off 4g meanings having 4g, just not using it. Not the same thing as "No 4g."

HTC was stupid to release the thunderbolt w/o the option and I believe they're either working on having the option or already released it (i don't keep up with android lol). All of the sprint 4g devices that I know of are capable of disabling 4g.
    You can argue the way anything is worded. If 4G is on it kills the battery and I don't want it. I wasn't arguing whether having the option to turn 4G on/off was better, that's besides the point. My point was I don't want it. And I don't see 4G networks advancing dramatically and battery capacity increasing in less that 2 years.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by lactose View Post
    I really want a Sprint Pre3. But if VZW comes out with a 3G model, and Sprint comes out with a 4G model, I will have a dilemma. To me, 4G means, semi available, variable speed for an extra charge, and battery life reduced significantly. I think I would rather have longer battery life and 3G.
    Whether a Sprint device has 4G or not, you're still paying the same price. That $10 data charge now applies to all new smart phones, regardless if they have WiMax.
    Here's what you said

I think that's due to the difference in technology. It's like 3G today (even though technically, you can turn 3G off, but does anyone really do that?)
    Ok so it sounds like we're all in agreement, we don't mind 4g if we can disable it to save battery life right?

I think another big issue is will sprint push the phone if it doesn't have 4g? The non-tech geek buying a phone is going to go into a Sprint store saying why would I want a pre3 if the Evo 3d/Nexus S/Galaxy SII are all 4G phone!?!?! Even if the average consumer will use 4G <1% of the time they still want it for the "look my phone is better than your phone" aspect of having 4g. They don't care that webOS is easier to use than android, all they care about is having a 4"+ screen, and tech specs like wimax/4g/super amoled/3d/etc because that's what sells phones. And all sprint cares about is selling phones (with the newly implemented $10 smartphone fee of course).

So I think to get the sales they need to to really have webOS take off they should put 4g into the pre3. If it doesn't have 4G I'm still going to buy one, but I don't know if the average consumer will even consider it next to the android 4g devices out there.
    The non-tech geek buying a phone is going to go into a Sprint store saying why would I want a pre3 if the Evo 3d/Nexus S/Galaxy SII are all 4G phone!?!?!

I don't know if the average consumer will even consider it next to the android 4g devices out there.
    I think you are wrong on this point, the tech geek is the one that cares about 4G, the average consumer cares about name recognition. It's the tech geek that picks apart the specs, average consumers buy either what they are sold or buy the name they know from their friend/commercials/etc.

Not saying 4G won't sell some phones, but the average consumer isn't walking in saying "only show me 4G devices", and lots of areas are still without 4G.

Now sales people may push the 4G as a sales point, but with the $10 fee on all smartphones, there is no reason for Sprint to push 4G contracts over 3G. Actually, there is more of a reason for Sprint to push 3G phones if they are competitive (not high return rate, spec'd well enough that they won't take a lot back in the 30 day return window), as they will be making more money while most likely consuming less data.
    That didn't work the first time I tried it and the last time I tried it either.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    That didn't work the first time I tried it and the last time I tried it either.
    Sucks, you are the first person I have heard of on these boards that couldn't get the fee removed when replacing a Pre with a Pre.
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    I heard there was a way to turn off 4G on the Thunderbolt.
    Who wants to sit there and turn off their 4g all the time manually? That would be a serious inconvenience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Who wants to sit there and turn off their 4g all the time manually? That would be a serious inconvenience.
    Not really, with patches and homebrew, making changes like that are pretty easy.

Modeswitcher, and the patches to the drop down menu make it almost effortless. Those that would be turning on and off 4G would most likely be those more into the tech and not your average user.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    My cities not even on Sprints planned 4G roll out map and Verizon isn't bringing LTE to Louisville until the end of 2012 so I don't really care if the Pre 3 is 4G or not. Sure it might be nice when visiting other cities but by the time it gets here where I spend most of my time it'll be time to upgrade to a new cell phone anyway.

As far as paying for 4G with Sprint anyway, well thats just something we'll all have to swallow if it comes to Sprint.
    How fast will the Pre 3 be able to download with WiFi? What is it capable of? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Not really, with patches and homebrew, making changes like that are pretty easy.

Modeswitcher, and the patches to the drop down menu make it almost effortless. Those that would be turning on and off 4G would most likely be those more into the tech and not your average user.
    Sounds like it would make a great addition to Quick System Tasks, too!
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast