Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Best news I've heard in awhile

paraphrase of Topolsky on today's ThisisMyNext podcast:

Richard Kerris brought a Pre3 to D9 and let me play with it.
    The keys are tight. To actually be able to type on a keyboard and look up while I am typing, that is a gamechanger.

archived podcast will be here once they have a chance to put it up:
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/ThisIsMyNextPodcast
    Last edited by bluenote; 06/02/2011 at 09:14 PM.
    kool, now just make video chat happening and I will get one.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post

paraphrase of Topolsky on podcast:

The keys are tight. To actually be able to type on a keyboard and look up while I am typing, that is a gamechanger.
    It's better but not that much different from my Pre 2, which I can kinda do that with already.

We're talking about a phone that is only 5mm or .2inch wider (close to the length a 3 to 4 letter word of text on your computer), please take out a ruler so you can visualize that and then spread that out over 10 keys.

It definitely felt better when I played with a Pre 3 recently but not earth shattering.
    Last edited by deesugar; 06/02/2011 at 07:09 PM.
    not trying to troll at all, but the original Pre was supposed to be a game changer too..
  5.    #5  
    He is not comparing with a Pre2. He is comparing his actual experience at D9 using Richard Kerris's Pre3 (implied that it has webos 3.0) with his current iphone 4, which he is using because he can't deal with android fragmentation any longer.
    He is not comparing with a Pre2. He is comparing his actual experience at D9 using Richard Kerris's Pre3 (implied that it has webos 3.0) with his current iphone 4, which he is using because he can't deal with android fragmentation any longer.
    Do have a link?

WebOS 3.0 on the Pre 3 would be a bit of change although he might be confusing the recently seen "build 3" which is not the same.

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Agree. The Pre3 is what I'm waiting for. My pre- died (vol down button doesn't work and ear piece doesnt work, do can't hear calls. Crazy right? Using these things to make calls). Can't wait to drop my Epic Turd and get back to web os

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
  8.    #8  
    I don't have a link. But Topolsky definitely is familiar with the Pre2 and I don't think his satisfaction with the Pre3 experience was solely because of the hardware which as you pointed out in your post was probably unlikely or even the bump up from 2.01 or 2.1 to 2.2.
    I also think HP has to be working on 3.0 for the phones, at least internally (ie Kerris's phone) as the TouchPad is almost out the door.
    But Topolsky didn't say 3.0 although he did say the much of his conversation with Kerris was "off the record."
    Last edited by bluenote; 06/02/2011 at 08:21 PM.
    Didn't JT have a pre3 on late night w jimmy falon? Guess than off the record...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Gain of salt coming from tech critics. The Moto Atrix was a gamechanger for him and renewed his love of Android. Now he's fallen out of love with Android and is back in bed with IOS but will jump back into bed with webOS 3.0 when the Pre 3 rolls out. He's in love with three different OS' but he doesn't want to commit to one. Josh has always been that way. But a number of tech critics are.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I never said Topolsky was comparing it to a Pre 2, but he knows the Pre and Pre 2 very well. However I'm saying the keyboard is not that much different from the Pre or Pre 2.

Of course it would help if you had a link so we could listen to what Topolsky is saying, since I'm not sure what crowd he's talking to based on what you posted.
    Last edited by deesugar; 06/02/2011 at 08:04 PM.
    Cant link the podcast just ended, but he has bashed the Pre2 before so it was exciting to hear him being excited.
    I don't have a link. But Topolsky definitely had the Pre2
    Don't you mean the Pre 3?

and I don't think his satisfaction with the Pre3 experience was solely because of the hardware which as you pointed out in your post was probably unlikely or even the bump up from 2.01 or 2.1 to 2.2.
    I also think HP has to be working on 3.0 for the phones, at least internally (ie Kerris's phone) as the TouchPad is almost out the door.
    But Topolsky didn't say 3.0 although he did say the much of his conversation with Kerris was "off the record."
    I'm not understanding your point. You say Topolsky's "gamechanging" satisfaction wasn't based "because of the hardware" or "even the bump in OS"

What exactly is left that he was so excited about then???
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    not trying to troll at all, but the original Pre was supposed to be a game changer too..
    Well, it was, actually. It inspired a small cadre of fanatics who scour this message board several times a day to see what's new. =)

The OS is a game-changer. RIM copied it. Win8 copied it.
  15.    #15  
    He said he wants:
    "glanceable information"-ie notifications
    widgets such as weather and time
    And these types of information he wants to be able to look at from a lock screen

He thinks Apple will have revamped the notifications but has been resistant to widgets etc.

He also wants his docs, email, calendars contacts etc accessible from the cloud. He would like Apple to wean him off of dependence on Google for this and did not think Apple would provide that. He is less interested in music from the cloud although he would like music synergy --if I recall this correctly, it would be one app that pulls from all his subscription services and his music storage so he doesn't have to care where the music is residing.

He did not like the number of clicks it took from a locked screen to phone dial a non-favorites contact in iphone.

If you look at all his desires, there is nothing in webOS that would be contradictory to this. But so far his experience on webOS has not been satisfactory and he said he sat with Kerris for awhile and complained about all his issues. My sense is this why he is still hoping for a good webOS experience and was so disappointed with the Veer for not living up to his expectations. And at least, his immediate experience with Kerris's Pre3 seemed very positive (a "gamechanger").
    My guess it was a combo of the hardware/software (perhaps 3.0) on Kerris's Pre3 that gave Topolsky satisfaction although he only mentioned the keyboard on the podcast (my assumption is the rest of it is from the "off the record" conversation he had with Kerris)
    Last edited by bluenote; 06/02/2011 at 08:27 PM.

paraphrase of Topolsky on today's ThisisMyNext podcast:

Ok found the podcast which you all can grab here.

But I made a clip of JT talking about the Pre 3. [it is not a zip file. just download and change extension to .mp3] I wouldn't say he is being literal in the clip at the end. He obviously likes the Pre 3 and was embellishing and being a little funny at the end when it came to the no look typing on Pre 3. You can hear people laughing in the background picking up on this. But this is nothing to cause a lot of excitement over.

(If you downloaded the whole show)

My Notes:

WebOS talk starts at 37:00

JT talks about how Richard Keris brought the Pre 3 and he likes the keyboard, really loves buttons to type when he has to look up while typing and can continue typing the right word, thinks it is a game changer.

JT Thinks that what Leo said about "Licensing WebOS" is shocking. Thinks that since HP bought WebOS that idea would be off the table in favor of a Apple like ecosystem.

45:00-47:00 Skip they are just goofing off

JT Doesn't see anyone with a tiny(Veer) phone . "Nobody says my phone is too big" "Nobody says my iPhone is too big"

"What happens when you get a new HP Win8 laptop with standard OS and Win8 splashtop and WebOS???"

JT "If HP thinks their Trojan horse for WebOS is the printer, there is nothing less sexy or less desirable then a printer. Leo is a smart guy and there are many smart people at HP but they need to stop talking about printers. You know what printers are? They are a money pit, a place where I will blow my money on."

Ends at 1:00:00
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    They don't have to be terribly sexy (though I do like beautiful indust. design). They have to be cheap (I think) but still use webOS so people understand webOS. That may be really hard
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    the original Pre was a game changer in MY life...
    Wait, I thought we all turned on Josh after his Veer review.
    I didnt, I agree with him on the veer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast