Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    B94HHF30CE:

As far as I can tell, it is identical to the B94HHF30CN model, minus WCDMA band V (850Mhz).

B94HHF30CN had WCDMA on 1900 and 850, B94HHF30CE has it only on 1900.

Not sure what that means.
    Last edited by Syndil; 06/02/2011 at 12:04 AM.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    i wonder if these GSM frequencies are compatible with AT&T unlike the other GSM Pre 3
  3.    #3  
    Pretty sure the other GSM Pre 3's frequencies are compatible with AT&T. This one uses the exact same frequencies, just lacks 3G on 850 whereas the previous one had 3G on both 850 and 1900.

If I had to guess, I'd say the "E" is for Europe, and that there are actually other radios in there, but the FCC doesn't test them because those bands aren't used in the US.
    Last edited by Syndil; 06/02/2011 at 12:03 AM.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Pretty sure the other GSM Pre 3's frequencies are compatible with AT&T. This one uses the exact same frequencies, just lacks 3G on 850 whereas the previous one had 3G on both 850 and 1900.

If I had to guess, I'd say the "E" is for Europe, and that there are actually other radios in there, but the FCC doesn't test them because those bands aren't used in the US.
    That'd be my guess, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    B94HHF30CE:

As far as I can tell, it is identical to the B94HHF30CN model, minus WCDMA band V (850Mhz).

B94HHF30CN had WCDMA on 1900 and 850, B94HHF30CE has it only on 1900.

Not sure what that means.
    Take a look at the chart below then YOU try to figure out which country and/or carrier out of those listed using ONLY 1900 MHz UTMS/3G this device might be destined for.

My first two guesses are Argentina and/or Chile....
    To be honest, I pulled these two out of a hat, blindfolded .... but I'd bet my last dollar it's headed somewhere in South America! (Carrier Ciaro uses only 1900 for 3G in several countries).

Worldwide UTMS Frequency (MHz) Listings sorted by country and carrier

Africa, Americas, and Oceania:

Asia:

Europe:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Maybe Movistar as they also sold the Pre in Spain? (o2 Movistar)

Aint Canada using them freq's too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Maybe Movistar as they also sold the Pre in Spain? (o2 Movistar)

Aint Canada using them freq's too?
    No Canadian carrier uses only 1900 for UTMS/3G. see chart in my previous post.

Argentina, Chile, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Paraguay, Peru, and Uraguay all have carriers that use only 1900 for 3G, and the carrier with only 1900 in most of them is Claro.
    Movistar has a 1900 only 3G network in Argentina.

Take all that for what its worth ......... Not a whole lot .....
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 06/02/2011 at 03:55 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  8.    #8  
    I'm betting that there are 900 and 2100 MHz radios in there which would work in Europe. They aren't listed in the FCC report because the FCC does not need to test those bands, because they aren't used here in the US. The FCC only tests for the bands the phone would use while here in the states; they apparently are not required to test the radiation emitted by radios only used in other countries.

Europe makes far more sense than South America.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    At this point I'm fairly confident that the Pre 3 is Tri-band UMTS, just like the Veer.

B94HHF30CN: Quad-band GSM 850/900/1800/1900, Tri-band UMTS 850/1900/2100
    B94HHF30CE: Quad-band GSM 850/900/1800/1900, Tri-band UMTS 900/1900/2100

Thank you Palm for listening to my rants here the past two years.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    No Canadian carrier uses only 1900 for UTMS/3G. see chart in my previous post.

Argentina, Chile, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Paraguay, Peru, and Uraguay all have carriers that use only 1900 for 3G, and the carrier with only 1900 in most of them is Claro.
    Movistar has a 1900 only 3G network in Argentina.

Take all that for what its worth ......... Not a whole lot .....
    We use 850/1900 (Rogers/Bell/Telus), and AWS (Wind/Mobilicity), just like in the US.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Maybe I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to FFC filings. But if this phone was destined for a non-US network, why would the FCC be handling it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    At this point I'm fairly confident that the Pre 3 is Tri-band UMTS, just like the Veer.

B94HHF30CN: Quad-band GSM 850/900/1800/1900, Tri-band UMTS 850/1900/2100
    B94HHF30CE: Quad-band GSM 850/900/1800/1900, Tri-band UMTS 900/1900/2100

Thank you Palm for listening to my rants here the past two years.
    Toni,

I hope you are right about the B94HHF30CE being a Quad-band GSM 850/900/1800/1900, Tri-band UMTS 900/1900/2100 device!

Based on the different pricing we've seen lately for EU devices, if the CE is being manufactured specifically for the European, South American, and Asian markets, it may cost more than the CN model which is clearly designed to be marketed in North America.

TTB
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Maybe I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to FFC filings. But if this phone was destined for a non-US network, why would the FCC be handling it?
    There's something called roaming.

Yet again, I'd like to point out that I have a drawer full of phones - as do most of my friends - from at least ten different manufacturers and at least eight different carriers, none that are over three years old and I can show you several that have model names that end in E and they are not for Europe. There are several that end in V that are not on Verizon. There are several that end in S that are not on Sprint etc.
    It does not correspond. And if you have an example here or there where it does it is simply the odds. I'll be glad to get all of my phones and all my friends and post a nice little collage to prove it if you'd like. Please stop perpetuating this misconception - it only leads to confusion for those that don't know any better.

This particular model may very well be for Europe for a number of legitimate reasons listed on the spec sheet but the E at the end of the model name is not one of them.
    - HP/Palm is based here in the USA, so any device they plan to market anywhere in the world could in theory undergo lab testing somewhere on US soil.

- Even though a particular model or device might only be sold elsewhere, it can easily make its way onto US soil. If the device emits RF, any RF, it's required to pass FCC certification. They govern the use of all radio frequency spectrum in and around the USAl.
  16.    #16  
    It's a world-phone and can be used in the US, thus it must be tested for use in the US, even if it is sold in Europe.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdacats View Post
    Yet again, I'd like to point out that I have a drawer full of phones - as do most of my friends - from at least ten different manufacturers and at least eight different carriers, none that are over three years old and I can show you several that have model names that end in E and they are not for Europe. There are several that end in V that are not on Verizon. There are several that end in S that are not on Sprint etc.
    It does not correspond. And if you have an example here or there where it does it is simply the odds. I'll be glad to get all of my phones and all my friends and post a nice little collage to prove it if you'd like. Please stop perpetuating this misconception - it only leads to confusion for those that don't know any better.

This particular model may very well be for Europe for a number of legitimate reasons listed on the spec sheet but the E at the end of the model name is not one of them.
    That seemed a bit of a harsh reaction. We already know the Pre3 ending in "V" is headed for Verizon, and we know the one ending in "N" is headed for AT&T (North America). I would not call it wild speculation to assume the "E" stands for Europe. I would call it a logical assumption. CDMA variants are always locked to the carrier--thus the carrier specific letter--while GSM variants can be modified for any GSM carrier in North America or Europe, thus the N and E.

Sure there are other manufacturers who do not follow this convention, but it seems to be one that HP is establishing for its current crop of phones. If that's not indeed what these letters at the ends of HP's FCC ID's stand for, I'll eat my hat.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    The Verizon bit isn't confirmed yet. Can still end up on Sprint.

Both Pre on Sprint and Pre Plus on Verizon was O8F-CASC, and had the EWW designation in the model number.
  19.    #19  
    O8F was Palm's FCC manufacturer ID, and those were Palm's naming conventions. Same with the Veers, which were also filed using Palm's ID. The Pre 3 and the TouchPad are the first and only ones (so far) to be filed under HP's ID of B94.

And since the TouchPad does not have a cellular radio in it, it lacks the final letter, which keeps with the naming convention. The ID for the TouchPad is one character shorter than the ID for any of the Pre 3s.

Hoping that the CDMA Pre 3 currently in the FCC database will come to Sprint is nothing more than wishful thinking.

If there is to be a Pre 3 on Sprint, I'll wager it will have the FCC ID of B94HHF30CS.

Now, this part is wild speculation, but it seems reasonable:

B94 - HP's FCC manufacturer ID
    HH - Hand Held
    F - Phone Scratch that, does not line up with previous devices
    30 - number of device to be filed with the FCC
    C - Not sure, but all of HP's older filings (prior to WebOS) ended with C
    E - Carrier if CDMA, region if GSM

TouchPad's FCC ID is B94HHI29C, so...

B94 - HP
    HH - Hand Held
    I - No cellular radio
    29 - Was the device filed before the Pre 3
    C - ?

It is true that very few manufacturers follow such an easily read naming convention, but it seems to make sense.

ETA: So the 6th character (I or F) is wrong, but the rest seems to make sense when compared with HP's past devices. All hand held devices have HH in them, there were a few circuit boards that started with B94BO... so pretty confident about the HH. Not sure about the I/F, since there are iPaq phones that are HHI, and another that is HHP.
    Last edited by Syndil; 06/02/2011 at 07:09 AM.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  20.    #20  
    Figured it out. Making a new thread.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast