Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    There's something called roaming.
    If thats true then I'm pretty sure the FCC would have to test ALL the frequencies of the device for interference reasons right? The FCC controls the whole frequency spectrum right? It doesn't make sense they would only test the cell frequencies for the US when the device is using signals on other frequencies.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  2.    #22  
    Created a new thread for speculation on HP's FCC naming conventions here:

HP's FCC ID naming conventions deciphered - PreCentral Forums
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post
    If thats true then I'm pretty sure the FCC would have to test ALL the frequencies of the device for interference reasons right? The FCC controls the whole frequency spectrum right? It doesn't make sense they would only test the cell frequencies for the US when the device is using signals on other frequencies.
    The SIM card will determine which frequencies are used. If the SIM card inserted is a US SIM card, it will not use the other frequencies. If a European SIM card is inserted and you are in the US, your phone will not work. So why should the FCC care what the phone does on European frequencies? That would cost them more money to test and certify, and would not be applicable to any phones used in the US. It would be entirely wasted effort.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    - Based on the FCC filing, I still think its possible the third varient of the Pre 3 (CE) could be quad band GSM/single band (1900) UTMS headed to south america.

- Claro may have required that sort of thing in thier contract ....

- I don't recall ever seeing an FCC filing that didn't list all the radio freq's for a particular device before.

- Also thinking the single band UTMS comms board would cost HP less to make.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    - Based on the FCC filing, I still think its possible the third varient of the Pre 3 (CE) could be quad band GSM/single band (1900) UTMS headed to south america.

- Claro may have required that sort of thing in thier contract ....

- I don't recall ever seeing an FCC filing that didn't list all the radio freq's for a particular device before.

- Also thinking the single band UTMS comms board would cost HP less to make.
    Not sure about the last point. Most chip makers aren't even shipping single band chipsets. Even for Qualcomm their lowest end one is at least dual band. So the only potential savings is one less transceiver, which I'm not sure if it's worth it to take it out and lose the advantage of dual-band. Single band UMTS really sucks indoors, if you only have the high frequency one that the network provides.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I don't recall ever seeing an FCC filing that didn't list all the radio freq's for a particular device before.
    I challenge you to find any FCC filing listing that lists 900/2100 WCDMA (the European bands).

Here is the BlackBerry Tour, which we know operates on CDMA 850/1900, GSM 850/900/1800/1900 and WCDMA 2100:

Research In Motion BlackBerry Tour 9630 Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)

Yet the only bands you will see listed in the FCC report are the US ones: CDMA 850/1900 and GSM 850/1900. 900/2100 is nowhere to be found.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Is that a Pre 3 world phone ?
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I wish Sprint would carry a dual CDMA and GSM phone with 1900 and 2100 frequencies. My new yearly credit is ready and would gladly pay extra if they carried that phone. I hate traveling to Europe and South America and having to carry 2 phones. Please make it happen Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I challenge you to find any FCC filing listing that lists 900/2100 WCDMA (the European bands).

Here is the BlackBerry Tour, which we know operates on CDMA 850/1900, GSM 850/900/1800/1900 and WCDMA 2100:

Research In Motion BlackBerry Tour 9630 Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)

Yet the only bands you will see listed in the FCC report are the US ones: CDMA 850/1900 and GSM 850/1900. 900/2100 is nowhere to be found.
    I stand corrected as we now know it is a tri-band 900/19/00/2100 device that just passed through the FCC, the EU GSM Pre 3.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    I am pretty uninformed regarded CDMA and GSM bands. But I always thought that a "world phone" (this thing the Pre3 shall be), that can handle CDMA and GSM, is able to be used all over the world?
    Weíve already seen the HP Pre3 with AT&T bands and a global version with CDMA and GSM radios, so now thereís just one version left to pass by the FCCís laboratory of radiological toruture: the European GSM.
    Why is there a need for separate version for AT&T or Europe? Is GSM not the same as GSM? Can't I use an AT&T Phone on, let's say, o2-germany?

I'm confused, please help me.

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by ChLange View Post
    I am pretty uninformed regarded CDMA and GSM bands. But I always thought that a "world phone" (this thing the Pre3 shall be), that can handle CDMA and GSM, is able to be used all over the world?

Why is there a need for separate version for AT&T or Europe? Is GSM not the same as GSM? Can't I use an AT&T Phone on, let's say, o2-germany?

I'm confused, please help me.

Chris
    Your answer is earlier in this thread.

-- Rod
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gianny View Post
    I wish Sprint would carry a dual CDMA and GSM phone with 1900 and 2100 frequencies. My new yearly credit is ready and would gladly pay extra if they carried that phone. I hate traveling to Europe and South America and having to carry 2 phones. Please make it happen Sprint.
    Sprint has always had world phones, so I guess maybe you haven't been asking the right questions. The current crop of world phones are the BlackBerry Tour, BlackBerry Bold (with or without camera), HTC Touch Pro 2 and Motorola ES400S.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12