Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Obviously demo hardware id codes all over it.

Tinhte photos

At one point he goes into device info. I cant make out the WebOS version, but the built in apps are all marked "vNova-Embark-Catfish"
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    in the coming months !
    i hope SO!!! Can't wait! hopefully we can get some competitive Apps!
    From the video...

- Veer is running webOS 2.1.2
    - Pre3 is running webOS 3.0 [edit: the nanator says webOS version 3.0 but a screencap shows that it says "Build 3" and the FCC filing says webOS 2.3 which sounds much more plausible]

--

Translation of the video:

The Veer is very small and tidy, much smaller than the Pre2. The keys are harder [I think he meant to say hard to press] than the Pre2 a bit, but is still very good in the tradition of Palm. The navigation & controls are the same as before. It's a little slow.

This is the Pre3 with a much larger screen than the 3.1 screen that Palm used in the past. Same navigation and controls again. This is running webOS 3.0. It feels really fast. I'm going to try and open some apps. The keys are larger than the Pre2. It feels better to type on. The slider doesn't feel as good (as the Pre2).

[He then goes on to talk about the physical features of the phones, which I'm going to skip since we all know what those are already]

Lastly he made a remark about the Veer: Really tiny, neat/tidy, and pretty. I can't believe that there's a [smart]phone that's tiny and pretty like this.
    Hmmm... the Pre 3 is already running webOS 3.0... interesting...
    Sucks about the slider. I really just hope HP releases a slab phone or licenses WebOS.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    If you watch closely he taps the webOS version info feild when he scrolls which on all webOS devices changes from Version number to Build number.

I may be wrong but it looks like it's build 3.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Sucks about the slider. I really just hope HP releases a slab phone or licenses WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
    the part about the slider doesnt feel as good doesnt sound good. The Veers slider is great wonder if the bigger size makes a difference
    Having used the Pre 3 quite a bit at ThinkBeyond... I can tell you the slider is MUCH better than the Pre 2. What I can tell you is that it lacks the spring of previous Pre's...but should help with the longevity of performance.

It is very much like the Veer, but better.

Again..thanks for the video link Bro... the 3.0 thing is very cool .
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Listening/watching the Pre 3 slider open and close it appeared to me to be really precise and tight. WebOS 3.0 looks pretty awesome, really fast and smooth, just have to be patient though, hopefully the TouchPad will be out soon to keep me occupied until it is released.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Having used the Pre 3 quite a bit at ThinkBeyond... I can tell you the slider is MUCH better than the Pre 2. What I can tell you is that it lacks the spring of previous Pre's...but should help with the longevity of performance.

It is very much like the Veer, but better.

Again..thanks for the video link Bro... the 3.0 thing is very cool .
    Looking at the video closer, I do see that is not 3.0, but Build 3
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    I hope HP is aware of the HTC EVO 3D Launching this month.
    If the pre 3 isn't released soon they will lose many customers to this phone.

I might be one of them. I'm torn between the pre 3 and the HTC EVO 3D.

Pre 3 has WebOS, which I want.
    The EVO has kick *** hardware and virtual keyboard (good for landscape mode) and many more apps, and it's 4G and it's 3D.... Comon HP, please catch up or I will leave.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Btw, the version of WebOS he's using on the Pre3 is codenamed Catfish. Kinda interesting.
  13. CFC
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    It's definitely "Build 3", whether that equals webOS 3.0 I guess is another question:

Picture from screen grab with contrast/brightness adjustments.

CFC
    The OS version is listed in the FCC filings for each of the Pre 3's. It's WebOS 2.3.

Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    I liked the slider for the original Pre. However, watching that clip, the slider made the phone look unbalanced. It looks like it would be top-heavy. I too am hoping for a slab.
    Last edited by fwinst; 06/02/2011 at 08:55 AM. Reason: spelling
    Also, the Pre 3 HW version shown here is D1. The FCC filing is D2.
    D1 is the North American Pre 3, D2 is the European.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    I liked the slider for the original Pre. However, watching that clip, the slider made the phone look unbalanced. It looks like it would be top-heavy. I too am hoping for a slab.
    Admittedly, I have not used a "slab" much. But, I did have a chance to use an EVO for quite a little while (co-workers) and i did not like the virtual keyboard very much.

I know......I would get used to it. But, whenever I was posting into a "text window" or field at a forum / page, I would tap the box and the VKB would open. BUT, it often pushed the box up and out of view (hope I am making sense here). I could not see the field or window into which I was typing until I scrolled it down in what little of the screen that was left above the VKB.

I HATED it. It was awkward.

Again, I get that I have a hardware KB bias and would likely get over it....but, I prefer to NOT.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    I hate the virtual keyboard for the same reason, I hate when it changes the layout etc same with horizontal keyboards, usually messes with screen orientation etc.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I am a little surprised at how fast the Veer is. Well, I am still using my Sprint Pre, overclocked at 800MHz, so that could be why. But the amount of time I have to wait for apps to open is much longer than Veer. Anyway, both Veer and Pre 3 look attractive to me.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast