Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Im not tryna be a troll or anything but I think you guys should try out an android phone for 30 days and if you don't like it, return it. They really are 10 times better and faster. All the issues I had with my pre went away as soon as I got the nexus one. The lil bit of issues with android are no where near as bad as webos and the pre
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    you're as bad as the people at sprint...
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ayoo456 View Post
    Im not tryna be a troll or anything but I think you guys should try out an android phone for 30 days and if you don't like it, return it. They really are 10 times better and faster. All the issues I had with my pre went away as soon as I got the nexus one. The lil bit of issues with android are no where near as bad as webos and the pre
    We can't leave now when we hanged in there for so long, just weeks away from a Pre3 launch. Must...stay...with...webOS...must.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Quote Originally Posted by janter View Post
    I hope HP is aware of the HTC EVO 3D Launching this month.
    If the pre 3 isn't released soon they will lose many customers to this phone.

I might be one of them. I'm torn between the pre 3 and the HTC EVO 3D.

Pre 3 has WebOS, which I want.
    The EVO has kick *** hardware and virtual keyboard (good for landscape mode) and many more apps, and it's 4G and it's 3D.... Comon HP, please catch up or I will leave.
    This is not up to HP. This is a Sprint issue (since you referenced the EVO 3D, I assume you're with Sprint). The Carrier has the last word on whether or not they will carry the device. HP can only do so much. After they've made their pitch/presentation/carrier testing, etc, it's up to the carrier's management and marketing team to decide yes or no. At this point, it's probably out of HP's hands and is in the carriers court.

I hear you on this. I did that when the Evo came out. Did not like Android at all. Yes, much faster but the UI is just really terrible when compared to WebOS. The hw is much better but that's not my issue right now. If it was just better hw, then I'd be using an iphone. To me, it's about the user experience and Android (at least to me) fails in that respect. Maybe if Android mobile devices ever see a complete Honeycomb (not just an 50/50 honeycomb/gingerbread or whatever dessert is next) I'd revisit Android but for now, I just don't like it all. Still feels clunky, has a non-intuitive UI and synergy is not the same. Multitasking on it is not even worth mentioning. Again, just my opinion on my user experience with Android compared to WebOS. To each their own though as I have many friends who do like Android.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Haha that's funny because I switched to Pre Plus because my Droid X kept force closing even after getting replacement models, rooting and installing custom ROMs, and it was all together an ugly and terrible phone. Before that I had an Incredible, and I found it "Incredibly" tacky and very slow, it's battery life was a disgrace. My first smartphone was a DROID which was the only one that kind of worked but I had physical land slide keyboards.

Getting my Pre Plus eliminated all my problems.
    yeah not a fan of android at all, though the alternative at this point is WP7. Even before mango I will say WP7 is very underrated and is the next best thing to webos period. I have a Arrive with my Pre Plus (vz plussed to sprint), and yet I miss true multitasking (even with mango it still wont be like webos), and the cards WP7 is very professional, extremly fast, and very elegant inferface. I had a Evo for 7 months, and IMO no android can not compete and never will with webos, or WP7.
    I just did that because my Sprint Pre after two years was real beat up. I was hard on it but loved it. Went it to see about insurance replacement for a hundred bucks and the lady sold me on an Epic. It's going back tomorrow and I'm reactivating my beat up Pre. Was thinking about seeing if the Evo3D would be out within the 30 day return period and grabbing that. But, the stuff that sucks so bad about Android won't be fixed by better hardware specs and from what I see may never get fixed as the stuff that drives me crazy is not seen as flawed.

So, I'm going to be out the 35 dollar restocking fee. But, I get my upgrade back. I don't have to pay that stupid 10 dollar 4g fee every month. And I have a new Pre Plus on the way to get on Sprint while I wait for whatever HP phone comes to Sprint. I'll even deal with a slab if they feel that's all they can offer.

Nothing is better than webOS and I don't think anything will be for a loong time. It's because of the attitudes of Palm vs. Google vs. Steve Jobs vs. Microsoft that I say that last.
    hmm, i've been using an epic for a few months now, and despite it being in much better physical shape than my sprint pre was, and having much better internals, it suffers from plenty of lag and crashes. I find myself having to pull the battery about once a week. i find the force closes to be more frequent and annoying that TMC errors ever were. I'd say the 1st 30 days with it were decent, but it got old quickly after that. I had an Evo before this and took it back within a week. If sprint doesn't get the Pre3 perhaps i'll sell this and go with the Nexus 4g, but i won't make the mistake of going in with high expections for android.
    I'd really reconsider Android when they decide to abandon the multi homescreen UI clusterf*ck and go with something more unified and simple. It's a powerful OS but it's poorly designed. I'm sure it will improve but it won't as long as that element remains.

My apologies for contributing to this threads diversion into an android vs webos conversation.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    My thoughts on Android vs WebOS

I like many others got an EVO when it came out for sprint- i was primire and able to upgrade 1year- but I returned it on day 28...why?

Notifications- they are bad on android "New Mail" thats great- what account? from who- subject? Same for texts - of course texts where fixed with downloading a new txt app and setting it as default.

Multitasking and Memory management- the fact that there are 1000 out of the 10thousand apps are task killers and crappy fake multi-taskers - this area should not need much elaboration.

To 4g or not 4g- LTE and WIMax are great and super fast when your on your "phone" doing "phone" things @ 4g but they do drain the battery. LTE will get bogged down to wimax speeds once it has the same population.

Basically it comes down to this- on android and ios it takes me an average of 3-5 button presses to get around and do what I want, or to check my MMS/Email/Calender notifications.. on WebOS its 2, or none- just type > all
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    I hate to be "that guy", but the scrolling at 1:30 looked choppy, and the Calendar took like 7 seconds to come up, even though it had no info and had no accounts associated. When are we going to see final software that fixes this stuff?
    The user had just closed four programs in the two seconds before launching the camera. It takes the system a few seconds to clear those from memory before launching the next app. This is nothing new.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I did this and returned the android phone--Evo--on day 30. I tried as hard as I could to like it. I did like the hardware & better app selection, but that was about where the "like" ended. It was simply awkward, not as easy to use, & notifications & the keyboard--well, it just didn't work for me.

Android wasn't bad, but it wasn't webOS. 30 days was enough for me.
  13. vpr
    I hate to be "that guy", but the scrolling at 1:30 looked choppy, and the Calendar took like 7 seconds to come up, even though it had no info and had no accounts associated. When are we going to see final software that fixes this stuff?
    I thought the same thing - the Veer zipped through those things, and the Pre3 looked a little sluggish in comparison.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I hear you on this. I did that when the Evo came out. Did not like Android at all. Yes, much faster but the UI is just really terrible when compared to WebOS. The hw is much better but that's not my issue right now. If it was just better hw, then I'd be using an iphone. To me, it's about the user experience and Android (at least to me) fails in that respect. Maybe if Android mobile devices ever see a complete Honeycomb (not just an 50/50 honeycomb/gingerbread or whatever dessert is next) I'd revisit Android but for now, I just don't like it all. Still feels clunky, has a non-intuitive UI and synergy is not the same. Multitasking on it is not even worth mentioning. Again, just my opinion on my user experience with Android compared to WebOS. To each their own though as I have many friends who do like Android.
    Yup. I'm pretty similar. I switched to the Epic because of Pre- hardware failure. The thing is a pain in the rear. I don't hate it enough to pay full price for a phone (though I may consider it for the Pre3). I'm a Gold Sprint customer (10+ years), so I expect to switch in October. If HP looks like it's putting some actual effort into the phone market, it'll be a webOS phone, otherwise it'll be WP7.

The amount of support I perceive from HP will also determine whether I get a Touchpad. WebOS is (IMO) the best phone OS, and I expect it to be a great tablet OS. While I don't particularly care about app count on a phone, I do want a tablet to appeal to developers of games, home security tools, A/V and networking tools, etc. If HP looks like they're giving it a real go, I'll throw my lot in and hope it wins over everyone else. If they treat it as an also-ran, then so will I.
    He closed a ton of apps all at once just before he tapped the calender app icon. If you had used webOS before you'd know there's a slight lag after you close that many cards, because the OS is taking care of them and closing them. It's not like it took the Veer so much possessing power just to open the calender app.

You're comparing a two year old phone from a company that was so poor it had to get sold, to a brand new phone from a company that has bucket-loads of money. Hardly something I'd compare. When the Pre3 comes then we'll talk.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    Admittedly, I have not used a "slab" much. But, I did have a chance to use an EVO for quite a little while (co-workers) and i did not like the virtual keyboard very much.

I know......I would get used to it. But, whenever I was posting into a "text window" or field at a forum / page, I would tap the box and the VKB would open. BUT, it often pushed the box up and out of view (hope I am making sense here). I could not see the field or window into which I was typing until I scrolled it down in what little of the screen that was left above the VKB.

I HATED it. It was awkward.

Again, I get that I have a hardware KB bias and would likely get over it....but, I prefer to NOT.
    Hopefully you won't HAVE to get used to a VKB. Keyboards are really just a matter of preference. I like the physical keyboards. However, having used an EVO for a year now, I have no issues with a VKB. My thoughts on the Pre 3 were just about how awkward the keybord looked and how it made the device seem unbalanced. I could be wrong. Unfortunately, the question can't truly be answered until the device is released.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    Hopefully you won't HAVE to get used to a VKB. Keyboards are really just a matter of preference. I like the physical keyboards. However, having used an EVO for a year now, I have no issues with a VKB. My thoughts on the Pre 3 were just about how awkward the keybord looked and how it made the device seem unbalanced. I could be wrong. Unfortunately, the question can't truly be answered until the device is released.
    There were a few guys on this Forum that were at the event Feb 9th. They all loved the build & the keyboard. Not one, as I recall, didn't like it or said the device was unbalanced because of it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12