Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    ..maybe you need to get it to 88Mph? just a thought
    What this is going to do is give Beats a boost in mindshare, even if it's not going to be that big. Beats is getting pretty hip, you see athletes use Beats headphones all the time. Four years ago, when a sports team got out of their plane, you'd see them all wear white Apple earbuds. Now, you see about half of them wear something with the red beats logo on the side.

And with HP being a licensee of Beats, Beats-branded webOS devices may be able to ride some of that hipness.
    If they manage to make a few good athletes who swear by their Beats headphones use a HP Unicorn (codename Stingray) with Beats smartphones instead of their iPhone, they WILL be able to ride THAT hipness. I'm not talking advertising here, I'm talking actual, private use.

Apps aside, a huge motivating factor in why teens and young adults get iPhones is that the rich and famous, one and all, use iPhones. Change that, and you change the dimension of the game that is about pure lifestyle accessory appeal, which sells more products in any possible industry than I think a lot of you are willing to accept. And in webOS' relative obscurity (okay: total obscurity) lies great potential for hipstering.
    Some of you folks are getting way too desperate and finding associations and other things to justify the success (of in other cases failure) of webOS and it's devices.

Incorporating Beats audio in FLAGSHIP sedans really has no association with webOS, Pre3 or Touchpad, unless of course they were IMPLEMENTING SUPPORT for webOS devices, which doesn't seem to be the case, it's just Beats Audio.

I'm a life long audio enthusiast, having competed in IASCA SQ competitions and others. I personally put Beats Audio up there Bose and Monster when it comes to Marketing Hype. price does not justify what you get. Can get better for your money etc etc etc. To all their own so I won't go there much. (personally would never put my dime in Beats, Monster, Bose)

But I'm all for isolation of audio hardware from others like in the laptops, phones, tabs and I guess that's good enough to call it "Beats Audio".

Anyways. Point is. This isn't a huge boost at all, there's no association with Beats Audio in a car to webOS.
    and It's only flagship vehicles.... limited market there anyways.

People need to stop picking at whatever they feel like picking at to justify how webOS can become widely accepted.

This thread is just as bad as "Just got off the phone with company x, they're getting..."
    Beats Audio is its own company that has nothing to do with HP other than letting HP use there technology just like they are doing here with cars. The only way people are even going to know about the TouchPad is if they go to the Beats Audio website and see what products their technology is being used in.
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    Yes. what JSgraphicart said.

Beats by Dre is a separate wholly owned company. HP did not start Beats. They don't own Beats. Beats headphones are manufactured by Monster Inc. They have microphones manufactured buy Blue Audio. HP is just licensing the tech whatever that is and the use of the name and logo in some of its products. But they are not one and the same. Beats in a car helps Beats and it helps the car, maybe. But it doesn't help webos or HP. I think any other association is wishful thinking.

The power of the Beats brand is the look of it's products, the association with Dre, a respected hip-hop artist and music producer, and the sound. People are buying the look, and the hipness. i think merely saying "beats inside" is ok but if like the phone or the tablet or whatever doesn't have the slick look of beats headphones and products it's just not as appealing. I think that's why the look of the Envy Beats laptops look so much like a beats headphone (all black with red logo) and less like the typical hp laptop, kinda grey bluish.

Now a Beats by dre phone or a Beats by dre tablet, that has legs. but again, the power is the beats brand not the HP brand. but HP could manufacture it just like they do the Envy Beats laptop. But it would need to look like a Beats device more then a HP one. My two cents. But Beats by Dre does not equal H.P. or Webos.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    I personally put Beats Audio up there Bose and Monster when it comes to Marketing Hype. price does not justify what you get. Can get better for your money etc etc etc.
    the thing is there is much more to consider then just sound quality for a great many people. You may be able to get better sounding headphones but they may not look as good as Dre's headphones, assuming that's you're tastes. Lots of people are buying them specifically for the look. To them it only has to sound good enough. But it's a part of fashion. That probably isn't as important to you but i don't dismiss the look of the product as a big big aspect of it's appeal. Those better sounding ones don't have the look and they don't have Dre and that's a big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    the thing is there is much more to consider then just sound quality for a great many people. You may be able to get better sounding headphones but they may not look as good as Dre's headphones, assuming that's you're tastes. Lots of people are buying them specifically for the look. To them it only has to sound good enough. But it's a part of fashion. That probably isn't as important to you but i don't dismiss the look of the product as a big big aspect of it's appeal. Those better sounding ones don't have the look and they don't have Dre and that's a big deal.
    Like I said to all their own. I've always put Beats in the Fashion category before it's actually functional category.
    I'd take my money over to Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Grado, Beyerdynamic, Denon, AKG...

Personally though, I think beats cans look like crap and have mediocre sound quality.

The false perception and mostly by today's youth is that more bass = better headphone. Not going to tell anyone how to spend their money, just offer my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    Like I said to all their own. I've always put Beats in the Fashion category before it's actually functional category.
    I'd take my money over to Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Grado, Beyerdynamic, Denon, AKG...

Personally though, I think beats cans look like crap and have mediocre sound quality.

The false perception and mostly by today's youth is that more bass = better headphone. Not going to tell anyone how to spend their money, just offer my opinion.
    Yeah i think people just dismiss the look component because they don't care. Lots of people do though. But as for bass well, hip-hop is a drum driven music form. More bass has never been a bad thing. No hip-hop head goes "yeah turn that bass down. Yeah these songs need less bass." Nobody goes into a hip-hop club and says, "That beat booms too much." That doesn't happen. So when the guy creating the headphones is a hip-hop guy, a hip-hop producer, and a hip-hop dj there is zero chance that most of the headphones aren't going to accentuate his art form by having lots of bass. So musically i totally expect it. But i think it's wrong to claim youth think more bass equals better. I think it's more accurate to say that if you don't have enough bass it's not good enough.

And honestly that group of people those headphones are aimed at is probably larger and more desirable then the group that's dieing to buy some Grado's or some Audio Technicas. None of those are hip highly marketable brands. They are good brands. Don't get me wrong. My dad has Grado's, i've had Denon equipment. I own Sennheisers. But Those are aimed more at audiophiles, starter audiophiles, and music "aficionado" types. Like i used to dj, the Grado's would probably suck, they aren't durable enough, and they let in too much noise, and most suck like on a commuter train. You'd have to turn them up so loud to hear it over the noise of the squeeling wheels that you'd go deaf and **** off anyone near you.

But for most people the sound isn't the most important and hey i think Dre headphones look awesome so you can see that opinions vary on aesthetics. But i'll put it this way if Denon or someone had thought up something that looked similar and had Dre pushing it as hard as he pushes Beats headphone's they'd have all the interests. I do think they are way over priced though for the sound.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12