Global Posts
    464 Global Posts
    Hello all,

I have been actively viewing these forums for a little while now and I have seen a good amount of WebOS. I can honestly say that obviously this OS is a lot more complex and better at multitasking than any other OS out there. I was wondering though what would you guys do in my shoes...

I have an iPhone 4 from Verizon right now and I have been scoping out the Pre3 as much as I can and it seems like if I want to jump to WebOS that this is the device to do it with. I should obviously skip out on the pre 2 for right now correct? I might still wait to see what iOS 5 brings to the table, but if it isn't really groundbreaking then I will make the jump for sure.

Also, I have not been able to find any reviews as far as the cameras go. I like to take photos and videos with my phone (hence why I have the iphone4). Yet, there hasn't been any information about the quality of the rear or front camera of the pre 3.

Has anyone actually tried the camera on the pre 3 (for those that went to the conferences, shows, etc...) and have an idea as to how well it performs? Any video performance reviews?

Thanks for your help.
    Pretty sure there haven't been any reviews of the camera and whatnot. But from what I gather it will be a lot like the Pre 2's, except it will have Autofocus instead of just "extended depth of field." So I figure you could look at samples from the Pre 2's camera and get a general idea of what to expect.

And considering Pre 3 will likely be out in 1-2 months, I wouldn't get a 2 unless you find a really good deal on one. I was planning on staying with my Pixi+, but I ended up scoring a VZW Pre 2 off of ebay for only 230 bucks, which is like half the price you'd pay for one off contract from HP or VZW itself.
    The camera is a 5 MP autofocus camera which I am pretty sure is the same as the iphone 4. As far as video recording goes, I dont remember the specs but I remember it was pretty good as far as mobile phones go.
    Global Posts
    464 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Pretty sure there haven't been any reviews of the camera and whatnot. But from what I gather it will be a lot like the Pre 2's, except it will have Autofocus instead of just "extended depth of field." So I figure you could look at samples from the Pre 2's camera and get a general idea of what to expect.

And considering Pre 3 will likely be out in 1-2 months, I wouldn't get a 2 unless you find a really good deal on one. I was planning on staying with my Pixi+, but I ended up scoring a VZW Pre 2 off of ebay for only 230 bucks, which is like half the price you'd pay for one off contract from HP or VZW itself.
    yea I have seen those on ebay for good prices. There is a palm pre plus for verizon nearby for 100 bucks but I hear you'd want atleast a pre 2 otherwise it will be really laggy.

As far as the camera goes, I was hoping someone had a hands on kind of review but oh well.
    I remember seeing a couple pics taken on Pre3s floating around but thats about it I think
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    As far as ios and webos ill say this, I have been an avid apple user since 2004 and followed the release of every iphone closely and have owned every iphone and about 2 weeks ago I won a pre+ on ebay for a decent price and instantly sold my iphone 4. I fell in love with WebOS and this past weekend got a good deal on a veer which i will be using (and yes posting my pre+ on ebay lol). But, its awesome, I miss some of the apps but the OS itself is way better. The camera even on the pre+ is more than usable, its no iphone, but the pre3 should be a lot better. Good luck!
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    There are better cameras out there, definitely.

the WebOS lineup has never won on hardware. The camera is certainly capable and this will be the first time we get an autofocus instead of EDoF. I have good hopes for the camera, but even when it comes out it won't be anywhere near the top of the lineup of cameras available for phones.
    FWIW I really like my Pre2. I'm excited about the Pre3 eventually. But AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $Pre3$ $camera$ $will$ $let$ $me$ $take$ $pics$ $of$ $bar$ $codes$ $more$ $accurately$ $due$ $to$ $autofocus$, $and$ $it$ $has$ $a$ $front$ $camera$ $for$ $Skype$. $Other$ $than$ $those$ $two$ $items$ $and$ $the$ $larger$ $display$, $I$'$m$ $happy$ $with$ $the$ $Pre2$ $for$ $a$ $long$ $time$. $And$ $the$ $Pre3$ $has$ $a$ $compass$, $but$ $that$'$s$ $not$ $high$ $on$ $my$ $list$...
    Quote Originally Posted by sunrat39 View Post
    I should obviously skip out on the pre 2 for right now correct?
    yep
    I might still wait to see what iOS 5 brings to the table, but if it isn't really groundbreaking then I will make the jump for sure.
    not really, IMHO, iPhone has too many baggage: no USB mode, bind to iTMS, no good multitasking, intrusive notification, no physical keyboard for blind typing....I don't see future versions of iOS fixing those
    Also, I have not been able to find any reviews as far as the cameras go. I like to take photos and videos with my phone (hence why I have the iphone4). Yet, there hasn't been any information about the quality of the rear or front camera of the pre 3.

Has anyone actually tried the camera on the pre 3 (for those that went to the conferences, shows, etc...) and have an idea as to how well it performs? Any video performance reviews?

Thanks for your help.
    good question, i would like to know this too.