Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Whether or not the app comes bundled or not with the Pre 3 is not as important as its ability to use Skype and other telco apps. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    Whether or not the app comes bundled or not with the Pre 3 is not as important as its ability to use Skype and other telco apps. Thoughts?
    I don't understand the question. If the app came bundled, why wouldn't you be able to use Skype? Skype is integrated into the phone app on the Pre 2. At the Think Beyond event Jon mentioned that they were working with Skype to enable video calling, therefore making it sound as though Skype is along for the ride again, most likely integrated into the phone app. If that is the case, which Skype ability are you worried about not being there for use?
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    skype was bought by ms.....do you think that will have any affect?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    I don't understand the question. If the app came bundled, why wouldn't you be able to use Skype? Skype is integrated into the phone app on the Verizon Pre 2. At the Think Beyond event Jon mentioned that they were working with Skype to enable video calling, therefore making it sound as though Skype is along for the ride again, most likely integrated into the phone app. If that is the case, which Skype ability are you worried about not being there for use?
    Fixed.

On webOS it's still limited to Verizon only. Also it doesn't quite work the way you think it would either, there was a thread with all the restrictions.

I hope this changes in time for the Pre 3 given now Verizon no longer has exclusivity. I really want Skype on my next phone (come on, even my old Nokia E51 had Skype!)
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    skype was bought by ms.....do you think that will have any affect?
    No. The ceo of Microsoft has said that they'll continue to work with their current partners and that they will not block Skype access to current or new partners.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Fixed.

On webOS it's still limited to Verizon only. Also it doesn't quite work the way you think it would either, there was a thread with all the restrictions.
    Thanks. I guess the op was wondering about restrictions but he wasn't very clear. If he/she was worried about restrictions such as the ones mentioned in the thread you mentioned, no one can say for sure if there will be any. I would suspect that Skype will be available on the Pre 3, Touchpad and so forth.
    Some more info here:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...2-0-skype.html

For starters Verizon Skype has a restriction that certain calls must be routed via Verizon's network.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    No. The ceo of Microsoft has said that they'll continue to work with their current partners and that they will not block Skype access to current or new partners.
    they said that, then immediately started blocking partners. Skype cuts ties to Asterisk. i think MS ownership of skype could be a huge wrench in the machine.
    who cares, skype never really works on any mobile device anyway.

Whats the advantage of skype on phones? VoIP through 3G/4G, and video conferencing. None of those functions works even on android platform.

Want something actually works? HP should partner with ooVoo, etc.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    it will be like this for current deals yeah, but skype will have different interests going forward.. however it is very good that hp and ms have a great relationship. the intergration of bing maps instead of google is a good first step. u never know if web os becomes really pop maybe even an xbox live app =D
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post

Whats the advantage of skype on phones? VoIP through 3G/4G, and video conferencing. None of those functions works even on android platform.

Skype works great on my Pre2. As good as if I am using a PC. And it's cool that it rings on both my phone and my PC, so I can answer from whatever device I have. I can't wait for the Pre3 so I can add video to those calls. Skype on webOS rox0rz!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Skype works great on my Pre2. As good as if I am using a PC. And it's cool that it rings on both my phone and my PC, so I can answer from whatever device I have. I can't wait for the Pre3 so I can add video to those calls. Skype on webOS rox0rz!
    you have video conferencing over 3G?
    you have video conferencing over 3G?
    Let me clarify. On the Pre2 I have audio, and it uses the voice network up to the point that it hits a skype gateway for delivery to the other caller.

The Pre3 has a front-facing camera and will add video to Skype. I am excited about that.

I have no idea how the video will be transmitted or if calls will be routed via 3G, audio/video split between voice/data channels, etc. But I fully expect it to work without wifi (the iPhone only works over wifi). So when I get a Pre3 I will have video calling over 3G.

My point was that I really like using Skype on my Pre when I'm away from my PC and I think it's cool that incoming calls ring on my phone and PC simultaneously. I was responding to a post that declared that "skype doesn't work".

Very cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Let me clarify. On the Pre2 I have audio, and it uses the voice network up to the point that it hits a skype gateway for delivery to the other caller.

The Pre3 has a front-facing camera and will add video to Skype. I am excited about that.

I have no idea how the video will be transmitted or if calls will be routed via 3G, audio/video split between voice/data channels, etc. But I fully expect it to work without wifi (the iPhone only works over wifi). So when I get a Pre3 I will have video calling over 3G.

My point was that I really like using Skype on my Pre when I'm away from my PC and I think it's cool that incoming calls ring on my phone and PC simultaneously. I was responding to a post that declared that "skype doesn't work".

Very cool!
    we shall see. There are many restrictions of skype video over 3G/4G on all networks. I am not expecting HPalm can negotiate something that even apple can't.

I am hoping, however, that they have a solution for video conference over 3G/4G, and that solution has to have a desktop computer component. A phone-to-phone only software (AKA, qik) is largely useless.

The only software I know that works over 3G/4G, and with a desktop computer client, is ooVoo.
    we shall see. There are many restrictions of skype video over 3G/4G on all networks. I am not expecting HPalm can negotiate something that even apple can't.

I am hoping, however, that they have a solution for video conference over 3G/4G, and that solution has to have a desktop computer component. A phone-to-phone only software (AKA, qik) is largely useless.

The only software I know that works over 3G/4G, and with a desktop computer client, is ooVoo.
    Actually I think Apple is the other way round, they actually don't want it, so they can push their Failtime thing.

Remember Google Voice in the App store?

Actually, Skype video calling for the iPhone works over 3G. Ironically, FaceTime does not.

I don't have any restrictions other than it still counts against the minutes on my VZW plan if the person I talk to is in the US. Other than that, it's just another phone call for me. Works great. The front page of PreCentral did a story on a multi-point video conferencing solution that HP is developing, and I'm sure that will find it's way to webOS.

Personally I don't have an interest in multi-point video conferencing in the sense that if I'm mobile I don't need to see everyone. If I'm stationary, I'm on a PC and probably tethered to my phone. So I'm all good for what Skype does for me on webOS.

Apple/AT&T implemented Skype differently. The carriers are afraid that skype will take all their voice traffic while trashing their data network even further(and with Microsoft in the picture, they should be even more scared) so they forced the wifi-only thing. Verizon took a radically different approach - and probably a better one for all concerned.

What I'm curious about is how the webOS/Skype integration will work once it's on a carrier other than Verizon. Assuming they go the Skype route. HP may have something else in mind...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/30/2011 at 06:53 PM.
  18.    #18  
    Great responses, guys and gals. Keep 'em coming! I currently have a Sprint Pixi, so forgive my newbiness on this is issue. I just want to make sure that when the Pre3 does come out, it can be as competitive as it can be with the iPhone and Android's OS.

The bigger question is the potential cross functionality with Skype between the Pre3 and the new HP/Palm Pads.
  19.    #19  
    The other big-picture thoughts I had were the networks themselves, as noted from previous posters in this thread.

My concern at this moment is with Sprint. In other threads, it has been noted that Sprint will be charging an extra $10 a month for Smartphone users, with the new 4G phones. Now IIRC, it will be for all new smartphone activations.

Is the Pre3 going to be a 4G phone? If so, I can see why Sprint is planning ahead with this move, as more people will be using Skype, cutting into Sprint's phone plans. I envision see lots of people downgrading their voice minute plans if Skype really takes off (if it hasn't already).

Who cares? It's true Skype has problems, but do you have international contacts and family? Those are the people who keep using Skype no matter how screwed up it may be. International call rates are brutal so Skype helps. Seeing your family on the other side of the world if video calling works is a huge plus.

I have only a few international contacts, but one of them uses Skype a lot for calls from the UK to India, I believe. I think he even bought a number. Skype does seem to be the best known of the VOIP apps.

I don't know if it will work on the Pre 3 or not though. MSFT buying it out makes me wonder if it will be changed extensively.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast