Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    This week my pre+ started acting up a bit more and in a fit of frustration I went to best buy and got one of the phones they had for minimal w/ contract after verifying I could undo it w/in 30 days.

I got a samsung focus, having wanted to try out WP7, having heard good things about their upcoming mango update, and loving that super amoled screen.

To quickly sum up, now, 3 3 days later, I have returned it and am back to using my pre+. The hardware was awesome in many ways, the screen, the camera...

But multitasking was worse than non-existent, no %% battery meter, I hated the keyboard (and people keep swearing they have a good virtual keyboard), the notifications system was awful, there was no integrated inbox, no integrated search even (it was always based on where you were).

Anyway it was such a relief to be back on webOS. I'm now just paitently waiting it out for the pre3 hopefully on my network (AT&T).
    Did you look at the Veer? Free with contract at Best Buy, and a really nice piece of hardware...
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    yeah messed around with it... It is cool but I want a pre3...
    are you able to do another 30 day 'trial' period. is that allowed more than once? just curious. cause you could get a veer to play with until the pre 3 comes out. lol. just saying.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    I did think about it, but the store I was at didn't have any. They were trying to encourage me to do an exchange rather than a return, as that way the contract would stay in place. The return was a lot harder for them to do, and took over an hour in the store. They said my contract status might take up to 72 business hours to sort out, but later contradicted that saying it should be avail immediately. At any rate did play around with a veer at an AT&T store at length (but not free there, of course, and they warn you that it is 15% repackaging fee if you return (thankfully they did not do this when I returned the focus case).
    Went into the BB by my house over the weekend. No demo Veers, they had one of the fake phones with the sticker screen. 2 ATT stores, BB, Radio Shack and Frys (was in frys for something else), still haven't got my hands on a Veer. 1 of the 2 girls working in the corporate ATT store said "What?" when I asked if they had the Veer. =(
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Ugh this sounds ridiculous of me, but I am really disappointed with your experience because if WebOS falls through WP7 is my fall-back OS.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    I posted more at length in the "other handhelds" forum, int he "wp7 vs webos" thread, starting with this post. If you're really interested you can read the other side of it where I was posting in a thread at wpcentral trying to figure out stuff.

As I said I don't think they're hopeless, in theory Mango will improve wp7 a lot, and specifically address many of my concerns. That being said I don't think it will ever be an open platform like we have with webOS. Patching the OS will require breaking phones and burning custom roms, and probably differ per model.

As far as "fallback", I know exactly how you feel. I want no partof iOS, android... and a slightly lesser degree, RIM. If all these failed...dunno what I'd do.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Went into the BB by my house over the weekend. No demo Veers, they had one of the fake phones with the sticker screen. 2 ATT stores, BB, Radio Shack and Frys (was in frys for something else), still haven't got my hands on a Veer. 1 of the 2 girls working in the corporate ATT store said "What?" when I asked if they had the Veer. =(
    Our store (Best Buy) has a live Veer to show off. It works great.

As far as WP7 or WebOS. Both have their pros and cons. WP7 is already taking off when it comes to app support but there are a few key omissions. For instance pandora does not have an app for WP7 yet. That was the deal breaker for me as i was looking at buying an HTC Arrive to play with. My sprint rep is still trying to round one up for to have for a while so we will see once i get that. WebOS by far still has the notification and integration battle won. Thats what is keeping me here. The integration with facebook chat into the messaging and the notification system are the best out of any mobile platform (I've used them all). Only thing that worries me about WebOS is if they are going to gain the developer support needed to make it successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickboy46 View Post
    Our store (Best Buy) has a live Veer to show off. It works great.
    Good to hear, in defense of BB, the store we went to is the smallest one in the area (closest to where we were going that day).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    good virtual keyboard
    This is an oxymoron. Virtual keyboards are for short things like replying "ok" to a text message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercule View Post
    This is an oxymoron. Virtual keyboards are for short things like replying "ok" to a text message.
    People can get good at virtual keyboards, just like they can get good at the miniature physical ones.
    i dont know and disagree a bit with the OP. I dont know about the samsung focus, but I have the htc arrive on sprint and have so since launch and it is a very good device. Past the hardware being better WP7 is a very good OS, and alternative to Webos IMO. I had a Evo for months, as well as a iphone, so speaking in terms of all the OS's yes WP7 is very good. Yes it doesnt multi task like webos, but no OS's does and understanding that you have to do one thing at a time is what you risk when leaving webos. Though WP7 to me is the fastest when it comes to switching between applications via one at a time. I mean WP7 is so elegant, and the transitions are very clean, I have not had a problem with it since I got it over a month ago. The battery life is sick I get between 16 to 22 hours of battery life on heavy usage. The VK again IMO is the best on the market (besides the slide out which we all know htc has the best hard keyboards). Also the IE is the best browser on the market. It does have its faults like no unifed inbox, notification system is good, but needs work especially with the live tile 15 app limit (which is supposed to be address in the mango update which by the way is goin to be huge over 500 extra features). All in all yes Webos is still the best OS on the market, but yes WP7 IMO is right behind them, and if your looking for a device that has no hiccups right now, very fast lag free, the best browser and VK (ive tried them all), and will last you the whole day on a single charge with heavy use Id recommend it, if you want to venture from Webos for awhile or make a major change in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    People can get good at virtual keyboards, just like they can get good at the miniature physical ones.
    Can't touch type on a virtual keyboard
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Good to hear, in defense of BB, the store we went to is the smallest one in the area (closest to where we were going that day).
    Yes, only the larger stores are stocking the Veer for now. All stores can order them and have them shipped directly to a customer. I'm guessing BB is wanting to test the demand before buying a bunch after the last few Palm phones didnt sell well.