Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Hi everyone -

I remember with the original Pre a big complaint among some users was the lack of an LED (or other visual indicator) to alert the user that attention was needed be it for a new message that was just received or anything else. It was necessary to turn the screen on and check for any alerts. This was highly annoying for people who received frequent texts, use calendar, etc as often vibration/audio alerts were not appropriate for whatever reason.

Eventually this was rectified by having the center button illuminate for alerts.

My question is - will the Pre 3 have an LED or other alert when messages arrive, etc? Or will it be necessary to turn on the screen to check for alerts once again?

Unfortunately from the (limited) Pre 3 information I have read it seems as if there is once again no LED or other visual indication for alerts without having to turn on the screen to check.
    Since webOS 1.4 this is not a problem. The LED of the gesture area is used to indicate that a notification was received. Even in the original Pre the home button blinks to indicate a new notification.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    Since webOS 1.4 this is not a problem. The LED of the gesture area is used to indicate that a notification was received. Even in the original Pre the home button blinks to indicate a new notification.
    Yes as I stated I am aware that this was addressed with earlier Pre models. However, my concern is with the Pre 3. I have not seen anything indicating that the Pre 3 even HAS any LEDS on the device.

The Pre 3 appears to have some kind of small rectangular button on the front as opposed to the illuminated orb of the original Pre. This rectangular button on the pre 3 does NOT appear to illuminate from what I have seen.

So my question is - does the Pre 3 actually even HAVE any LEDs or illuminated areas on the front of the device to be used for alert purposes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek234 View Post
    So my question is - does the Pre 3 actually even HAVE any LEDs or illuminated areas on the front of the device to be used for alert purposes?
    It's the same LED in the gesture area as the Pre2. It's just not a separate button.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    The lightbar at the bottom of the screen is an LED notification system. Blinks at different speeds depending on what kind of notification it is.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Yes as I stated I am aware that this was addressed with earlier Pre models. However, my concern is with the Pre 3. I have not seen anything indicating that the Pre 3 even HAS any LEDS on the device.

The Pre 3 appears to have some kind of small rectangular button on the front as opposed to the illuminated orb of the original Pre. This rectangular button on the pre 3 does NOT appear to illuminate from what I have seen.

He already told you that yes the Pre 3 has an LED notification system. In fact all webOS phones do. Look at the Pre +, Pre 2, and Veer for examples if you want to see it in action.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    HP Pre3 | Business Smartphone, Business Mobile Phones

You see that strip of light at the bottom of the Pre3??

Thats an LED.

When you get an email/message/missed call/whatever, it blinks.

Here is a video of the Pre 3

You can see it in action with the LED light.

I dont know how it can be spelled out for you any more easily.
    Wow, some of you are very rude. I'm sure the OP has never handled a Pre+ or Pre2, so he didn't know if the little rectangular LED light from those phones did the same as that of the original Pre when there are notifications. A valid curious question, no need to get all sassy.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Titano View Post
    Wow, some of you are very rude. I'm sure the OP has never handled a Pre+ or Pre2, so he didn't know if the little rectangular LED light from those phones did the same as that of the original Pre when there are notifications. A valid curious question, no need to get all sassy.
    It goes both ways.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Hi everyone -
    Unfortunately from the (limited) Pre 3 information I have read it seems as if there is once again no LED or other visual indication for alerts without having to turn on the screen to check.
    The reason for my attitude is because of the terrible logic being used by the OP.

"i cannot prove it doesnt exist, therefore it exists"

This is the same logic that people use to prove God exists, and is terrible logic.

Just because you didnt find any information regarding the fact that the Pre 3 does not have an LED notification, please do not jump to conclusions that it will not be included.

The OP did this twice in two separate posts.