View Poll Results: Would you purchase a Pre 3 on AT&T?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

42 43.30%
  • No

55 56.70%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Sprint has screwed themselves with the $10 fee
    +1

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    Both Verizon and ATT are HP'S partners at the show next month.

I think that that Pre 3 will be announced for both carriers. That makes sense.
    I personally am getting sick of the announcements.

PRE3 was announced MONTHS ago. There is practically no buzz left. Those who been waiting, have probably moved on to bigger and better things. Then, there are those of us who are giving HP/PALM a chance (obviously there are not enough of us to keep the company afloat from our sales alone).

SO basically, we're expecting ANOTHER announcement after 4-5 months. Wonderful..... let's see how long it takes for products to reach consumer after this announcement.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post

PRE3 was announced MONTHS ago. There is practically no buzz left. Those who been waiting, have probably moved on to bigger and better things. Then, there are those of us who are giving HP/PALM a chance (obviously there are not enough of us to keep the company afloat from our sales alone).

SO basically, we're expecting ANOTHER announcement after 4-5 months. Wonderful..... let's see how long it takes for products to reach consumer after this announcement.
    What phones have been released that are bigger and better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    What phones have been released that are bigger and better?
    Many devices have been released since the announcement of PRE3. Lots have moved on, lots of options on Verizon now for Verizon folks, including LTE devices and ofcourse, now the iPhone.
    Sprint has been getting new Android devices along with every other carrier. Users are upgrading and moving on to THOSE devices.

You may not think that any device is better than pre3....... but most of average consumers don't even KNOW what palm pre is, let alone what a PRE3 will be.

It's the bitter truth, the PRE line of phones will be left for us enthusiasts who like webOS and maybe enterprises who choose to adapt the webOS interface as opposed to iOS or BB.

There's no point in being a f-boy and saying no other phone that's on the market is better than the PRE3. We seen the software(which is good but could use some updates) and hardware isn't anything to write home about.
  5.    #25  

Im a little more optimistic, but I get your point, which was very well made. I never looked at it that way, but you are right. We got an announcement 4 months ago, and we have been waiting 4 months for another announcement. You are 100% right.

I'm still holding on to webOS though.
  6.    #26  
    I was testing some speeds on AT&T's 3G/4G network (what's the difference???) and I was impressed. You know, they should have just marketed their HSPA+ as 3G and then released their "faster" version of LTE with 4G branding.

On my Pre 2 on verizon I average 800kbps-1mbps on data speeds. I don't make too many phone calls, so data is very important to me. On a Samsung Infuse, I received a consistent 3mbps+, which is pretty darned fast.

The only reason I said "no" to my poll question is because of their extremely limited cap of 2GB per month for data usage. I use that in about 2 weeks. Speed doesn't matter if you can't use it...
    I have my Pre2 running on Tmobile and it works very well, since I'm on wifi most of the time. I will probably buy a GSM Pre2 off contract and run it on my Tmo sim, at least for now.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Could we add an option to the poll to say that purchasing on ATT is not an option, I live in Canada.

You can't see the results unless you vote, which makes it problematic for me - how do I vote.
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    I have my Pre2 running on Tmobile and it works very well, since I'm on wifi most of the time. I will probably buy a GSM Pre2 off contract and run it on my Tmo sim, at least for now.
    wow, that works? Any catches? Do you get 3G ?
    Tmobile phones can get 2g but not 3g. Wi-fi works fine though.
    honestly people wether sprint or any other carrier gets the first wave of webos phones or not, they will. My concern is hopefully whatever launches has no hiccups (especially taken this long to launch) enough core apps, and the battery life is on par(wp7 devices last 16 to 23 hours on heavy use I have a htc arrive and its phenomoial). These to me are major concerns, and also until hp or a carrier says so remember people these are still all just rumors nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    honestly people wether sprint or any other carrier gets the first wave of webos phones or not, they will
    I'm not sure your confidence is merited.
    • Pre Plus: No
    • Pre 2: No
    • Veer: No
    • iPhone: No

Does this definitively mean that Sprint won't get the Pre 3? Of course not. They could. But I, for one, am tired of this game. I tired of my provider determining which phones I can and can't use. I'm seriously contemplating a switch to AT&T because of their SIM cards.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I'll stay with Verizon.
    I don't know how to answer this, because I'm on T-Mobile, and not moving (I'm grandfathered for total unlimited Data at the old family pricing), so, I'll have to buy one off contract and unlocked, so, technically speaking, it won't be on AT&T when I buy it.

UNLESS.. (thinking cap on now)...

This merger does happen (choke), and then, I would automatically be on AT&T, just not the right HSPA bands for 3G - (can you say a "lose/lose" situation?)
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

my personal phone, im with att and i do like the voice and data at the same time.

my work phone, verizon has better bar reception and penitrates thru buildings much better. it gets reception where att cant.
    Quote Originally Posted by lactose View Post
    wow, that works? Any catches? Do you get 3G ?
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Tmobile phones can get 2g but not 3g. Wi-fi works fine though.
    ^^^This. But I do occasionally get 3G, 'cause Tmo roams onto ATT. I have also found that Tmo Edge is as fast (sometimes faster) as Sprint 3G was for me. And I got a great plan that's only about $10 more than my Sprint one was. I have everything I had with Sprint except SprintNav, but my free phone that I got when I transferred over is a Nokia E73 (actually has gorgeous hardware...symbian is meh, though) so I have free OviMaps, which runs offline. Have the phone on wifi at home without the sim, get my route, stores it on the phone and I can go off in my car and get turn by turn voice directions. That part is pretty awesome and OviMaps is fantastic. Not to mention that with FreeTether I can have wifi on it pretty much anywhere if I need it.

All in all, it was a win for me.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Wife went to Verizon for an iPhone so I'm going for the 'consolidation route' as well and will wait for Verizon to have the Pre3 or another good phone I would consider (BB Bold 9930 for example). Not interested in Android or iOS really.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD

Then that's exactly why there will be a Keynote for it. Show off apps, all the amazing partners that HP's brand is bringing, show off the businesses who are quickly integrating the webOS ecosystem into their practice, show the games that EA is dedicating, show APIs, show how fast the hardware is with gaming.

Get people excited. That's what these keynotes are for. Except this time, they'll be able to say, "Shipping on the two largest carriers in the US tomorrow (or next week, or... whenever)."

People who were waiting are in the vast minority compared to the people who want a fast, cool, futuristic OS that is fully baked with little to no bugs. Who cares if they left; HP doesn't need them. They need the people who don't obsess over smartphones, and visit those forums daily.

The Pre 3 is surprisingly well rounded, even looking at today's specs. The only major thing that is missing is any sort of 4G (HSPA+ on AT&T doesn't count, at all). Right now, though, the majority of people don't have any type of 4G coverage. Dual-core is great, though there's an excellent argument to be made that it's not quite as powerful as most SoC vendors make it out to be.

That's how I feel. They need another Keynote, where they can show off apps for the TouchPad and Pre 3. It would also be a nice place to kick off a gigantic ad campaign (which is, hopefully, at least mostly decent).
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    Then that's exactly why there will be a Keynote for it. Show off apps, all the amazing partners that HP's brand is bringing, show off the businesses who are quickly integrating the webOS ecosystem into their practice, show the games that EA is dedicating, show APIs, show how fast the hardware is with gaming.

Get people excited. That's what these keynotes are for. Except this time, they'll be able to say, "Shipping on the two largest carriers in the US tomorrow (or next week, or... whenever)."

People who were waiting are in the vast minority compared to the people who want a fast, cool, futuristic OS that is fully baked with little to no bugs. Who cares if they left; HP doesn't need them. They need the people who don't obsess over smartphones, and visit those forums daily.

The Pre 3 is surprisingly well rounded, even looking at today's specs. The only major thing that is missing is any sort of 4G (HSPA+ on AT&T doesn't count, at all). Right now, though, the majority of people don't have any type of 4G coverage. Dual-core is great, though there's an excellent argument to be made that it's not quite as powerful as most SoC vendors make it out to be.

That's how I feel. They need another Keynote, where they can show off apps for the TouchPad and Pre 3. It would also be a nice place to kick off a gigantic ad campaign (which is, hopefully, at least mostly decent).
    It's much harder to recreate buzz. They should not have held a conference way back in February, and should have had one closer to launch, so they can create buzz, and launch soon after to capitalizes on that buzz (way Apple does it's keynotes). They would have gotten more headline stories and more buzz from the leaked rumors of pre3 and touchpad and veer. Instead they decided to announce them all, had headlines for a couple of days and then everyone just forgot about it for oh i dunno.....4 MONTHS!

4 months just to hold another keynote and then even more wait to release is outright ridiculous and a bad strategy in my opinion.

I hope they sell a lot of these, because I wouldn't want webOS to go under, but they sure the hell aren't trying very hard.
    It's much harder to recreate buzz. They should not have held a conference way back in February, and should have had one closer to launch, so they can create buzz, and launch soon after to capitalizes on that buzz (way Apple does it's keynotes). They would have gotten more headline stories and more buzz from the leaked rumors of pre3 and touchpad and veer. Instead they decided to announce them all, had headlines for a couple of days and then everyone just forgot about it for oh i dunno.....4 MONTHS!

4 months just to hold another keynote and then even more wait to release is outright ridiculous and a bad strategy in my opinion.

I hope they sell a lot of these, because I wouldn't want webOS to go under, but they sure the hell aren't trying very hard.
    Apple did the exact same thing with the original iPhone (well, actually, it was a month longer: MacWorld announcement in January, release in June, release info at WWDC in early June).

Why did HP/Palm do this? That is simple, I think. You can't release a totally new development ecosystem (Enyo) without announcing the devices that it will be targeted for. The Enyo platform and the Pre 3/Touchpad/Veer should be coupled together closely. Also, announcing it early allows them to operate under less of an iron wall: they don't have to keep their devices quite so close to their chest. They can hand them out to developers, so they can get a head start on development. They can bring them to trade shows, and let developers test their programs.

You are impatient. Understandable. But there's no reason to come in here acting like HP/Palm and webOS will go under if these devices fail. That's ludicrous. They will continue to try to put their foot in the door. Even 10% of the smartphone market would be immensely profitable. And HP has plenty of revenue to help them keep trying. There's no such thing as being "too late" yet, with the vast majority of cell phone users still on dumbphones/feature phones. They have time. They have less time than they did in 2009, but the past is history.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12