Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    This is likely filed under things I should know or just missed but I'm not a developer so I might be missing the obvious. I was wondering if WebOS 2.0 - 3.0 finally came with camera and microphone api's? I know voice dial was brought in with 2.0 from installing it on my Pre Minus but that doesn't necessarily mean its been opened to developers. I see a lot of apps on other platforms that take advantage of these functions as a real selling point and I'd love to see it on the Pre 3.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    This is likely filed under things I should know or just missed but I'm not a developer so I might be missing the obvious. I was wondering if WebOS 2.0 - 3.0 finally came with camera and microphone api's? I know voice dial was brought in with 2.0 from installing it on my Pre Minus but that doesn't necessarily mean its been opened to developers. I see a lot of apps on other platforms that take advantage of these functions as a real selling point and I'd love to see it on the Pre 3.

Thanks.
    Must not have being paying attention. Camera & mic apis have been available for a couple of months. There are apps that take advantage of both apis in the 2.0 cat. The last precentral podcast discussed two apps that use the camera api. There were precental articles several months back reviewing recorder apps which use the mic api.

Read and listen is the best advice I can give.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    still need a Shazam type app
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    still need a Shazam type app
    Whose to say that one isn't being developed?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    [QUOTE=playboy;2974715]Whose to say that one isn't being developed?

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [url=

who says it is? Please provide any inside info you may have.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Maybe I'm just a noob at life but Shazam sounds like one of those apps that I would download, play with a couple times, then never use again. I don't understand why so many people consider it a must have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    Maybe I'm just a noob at life but Shazam sounds like one of those apps that I would download, play with a couple times, then never use again. I don't understand why so many people consider it a must have.
    If you don't find yourself often wondering what song is currently playing (whether it be on the radio, tv, commercial, etc) then it is probably of no use to you.

I don't use it that often (maybe once a week) but I like having it when I do need or want it. It's particularly cool discovering what song was used in a commercial or tv show.
    I agree. I couldn't care less about it.

but I do want a guitar tuner, but I dont think thats possible with the audio capture api(its not a mic api)
    i would use that app many times a week. i'm still trying to figure out the name of this one song.

I emailed both shazam and soundhound a few months ago and both if i remember correctly said they dont have plans for a webOS version. it may have changed as of recent.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    If you don't find yourself often wondering what song is currently playing (whether it be on the radio, tv, commercial, etc) then it is probably of no use to you.

I don't use it that often (maybe once a week) but I like having it when I do need or want it. It's particularly cool discovering what song was used in a commercial or tv show.
    Don't think I would ever use it.... my pre is my audio playing device. Could be cool for the commercials though, never thought of that.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Don't think I would ever use it.... my pre is my audio playing device. Could be cool for the commercials though, never thought of that.
    Well, it's not exactly about "playing music" but rather discovering music. How many times have you heard a song and wondered what it was?
    Well, it's not exactly about "playing music" but rather discovering music. How many times have you heard a song and wondered what it was?
    That was my point... if I am playing the music from my device... what the hell would I need to use shazzam for? The phone is already displaying the information for me. If the device wasn't showing me, could the app work on the device that is playing the song without ripping apart the space time continuum???
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    I've heard a few songs that I've wondered about but I just pick a phrase out of the lyrics and google them. It's pretty easy with Just Type. Don't even have to open an app. I don't know if I've ever wondered what a song was only hearing the music and no lyrics. Probably so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    I've heard a few songs that I've wondered about but I just pick a phrase out of the lyrics and google them. It's pretty easy with Just Type. Don't even have to open an app. I don't know if I've ever wondered what a song was only hearing the music and no lyrics. Probably so.
    That is exactly what I do. I've heard a couple of songs recently and I went to google with partial lyrics and I was able to get the songs and videos.
    i just google a few lyrics from the song, find it within a few seconds
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    i just google a few lyrics from the song, find it within a few seconds
    Would it not be easier to let the phone just listen for five seconds or so, though, and take it from there?
    That was my point... if I am playing the music from my device... what the hell would I need to use shazzam for? The phone is already displaying the information for me. If the device wasn't showing me, could the app work on the device that is playing the song without ripping apart the space time continuum???
    Yes. The way shazam and other similar apps work is by recording a short clip of the song (whether it's coming from your car radio, television, etc.) using the devices microphone, sends that data off to the services server and returns the song information to you.

It works on songs that don't have lyrics as well. Particularly useful for when you hear songs that you can't particularly make out the lyrics or catch just the final seconds of it when generally there are no lyrics.

The problem I always had with manually searching lyrics on google was the myriad results and having to listen to all the results.
    Yes. The way shazam and other similar apps work is by recording a short clip of the song (whether it's coming from your car radio, television, etc.) using the devices microphone, sends that data off to the services server and returns the song information to you.

It works on songs that don't have lyrics as well. Particularly useful for when you hear songs that you can't particularly make out the lyrics or catch just the final seconds of it when generally there are no lyrics.

The problem I always had with manually searching lyrics on google was the myriad results and having to listen to all the results.
    I'm not trying to be a ****, but do you get what the **** I am saying???

I know how it works, I am saying I USE MY PHONE TO PLAY **** IN MY CAR, the phone displays the information I would be getting from the app.... To clarify, I don't listen to much terrestrial radio, which is why I said I would only pottentialy use this for the commercial song aspect.

To end this post, once again not trying to be a ****, mean, ***.... Using my phone as my media player already gives me the info this app would, not saying its useless, just not a big deal to me. BTW, you didn't answer my space time continuum question....

Seriously everything above was in the way I would speak to my closest friend... From your responses I don't think you are reading/understanding my posts.
    I'm not trying to be a ****, but do you get what the **** I am saying???

I know how it works, I am saying I USE MY PHONE TO PLAY **** IN MY CAR, the phone displays the information I would be getting from the app.... To clarify, I don't listen to much terrestrial radio, which is why I said I would only pottentialy use this for the commercial song aspect.

To end this post, once again not trying to be a ****, mean, ***.... Using my phone as my media player already gives me the info this app would, not saying its useless, just not a big deal to me. BTW, you didn't answer my space time continuum question....

Seriously everything above was in the way I would speak to my closest friend... From your responses I don't think you are reading/understanding my posts.
    Of course, but just because you exclusively use your phone to play music everywhere doesn't mean you're impervious to music elsewhere. I'm sure you hear (not particularly listen to) music from other sources than your own phone.
    Of course, but just because you exclusively use your phone to play music everywhere doesn't mean you're impervious to music elsewhere. I'm sure you hear (not particularly listen to) music from other sources than your own phone.
    Not so much... regardless I never said the api or app was useless, just that I had little use for it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast