Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Of course, but just because you exclusively use your phone to play music everywhere doesn't mean you're impervious to music elsewhere. I'm sure you hear (not particularly listen to) music from other sources than your own phone.
    He's clearly indicated that he has his own music on his phone that he listens to, and isn't interested in hearing new music when he's in that mode.

I see nothing wrong or narrow minded about that - he knows what he likes, and plays it when he wants - to take that a step further, that's what playlists are all about.

When I travel, I have about 200 songs on my Pre that are shuffled around and keep a smile on my face and bring back fond memories - at that time, I, too, don't need any such apps.

I know, though, that many do want to use their smartphones to help discover new music - the more the device can possibly do, the better, as far as I'm concerned - I just may not use all of its capabilities.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    He's clearly indicated that he has his own music on his phone that he listens to, and isn't interested in hearing new music when he's in that mode.

I see nothing wrong or narrow minded about that - he knows what he likes, and plays it when he wants - to take that a step further, that's what playlists are all about.

When I travel, I have about 200 songs on my Pre that are shuffled around and keep a smile on my face and bring back fond memories - at that time, I, too, don't need any such apps.

I know, though, that many do want to use their smartphones to help discover new music - the more the device can possibly do, the better, as far as I'm concerned - I just may not use all of its capabilities.

****in thank you!!!! I dunno how my point was getting missed so badly when I never said anything negative.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I think there's a misunderstanding of what Shazam does. It's not designed to help you discover new music (a la Pandora, Slacker, etc). It just identifies music that happens to be playing. eg, you might hear a song you're unfamiliar with at Starbucks and you'd like to know the name of the song and artist so you fire up Shazam to find out.
    why does talk of APIs always end up focusing on shazam.

what are the other apps we cant have?

i'm thinking-
    guitar tuners
    layar (AR)
    music mixing ala garage band
    spectragraphs

is there more?
    doppler-effect speedometers, crude decibel-meters, voice-to-text apps..
    @hagster and grabber

Thank you both! There are many more useful to the masses apps that could be made with more APIs
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    the ONLY app i care about is Shazam, no offense to the indifferent folks. i've actually considered switching platforms altogether just so i can have a music identification app. Googling the lyrics works sometimes, and AT&T Music ID kind of sucks plus it charges you $0.99 for each use, so I really, really want a Shazam or Soundhound.
    no offense to anyone, not trying to get into anything, just saying that shazam is the ONLY app that makes me jealous of my friends android device. thats it. well, maybe layar, i like that too but i could go without it. besides that i would be in complete bliss with my phone. lol.

i often encounter situations either where i am watching a video online, watching a commercial, in a restaurant, in my car, where i hear a song and cant figure out what it is. i desperately want any sort of app that can identify music. doesn't have to be shazam. soundhound is another good one that does that.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12