Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

I am considering the switch from Android to WebOS. I currently have the Droid Incredible 2 on Verizon. As some background, I had a Blackberry Curve for 1 year, switched to the Motorola Droid 1 for 6 months, switched to the Droid Incredible 1 for 1 year, tried the iPhone 4 for 1 week, tried the HTC Thunderbolt for 1 week, and currently at the Droid Incredible 2. As an FYI, I have several lines and a job that allows me some phone flexibility so changing phones is not an issue for me. In fact, it's become an obsession, a quest to find the right hardware/software fit for me. Blackberry OS is just old, and they aren't doing a great job of keeping up, although I still love their messaging. iOS just sucks. Too boring and functionally inept for me. Android has so many positives but the platform is so fragmented it's ridiculous. I love the functionality but it's only because of my inner nerd that I'm able to use these devices so efficiently. I still struggle 'teaching' others how to user Android and all its features. It's getting better, and Gingerbread will be a step in the right direction, and hell maybe Ice Cream will bring it altogether, but I'm ready to try something else.

I have been intrigued by WebOS from day 1. I've read and watched hundreds of reviews and demonstrations of the various iterations of the operating system and hardware, including everything I can find on the Palm Pre 3. Bottom line, it looks like it just might be the WebOS phone I give a try. The OS, at least the idea behind it, is incredible. Nothing matches it, from what I can tell. I've never actually owned a device...

So, I have some questions for all you WebOS users, whether you are a diehard fan, a hater, or someone who objectively analyzes the positives and negatives of their Pre device. Any insight/information/clarification would be greatly appreciated!! These questions are in no particular order of importance, but I've number them in case posters easily wanted to refer back to one of the questions...

1) Am I nuts or is this a great idea to get the Palm Pre3 and make the switch from Android?

2) How is the bluetooth connectivity on Palm devices, such as the Palm Pre2? Will it sync up right away to my hands-free calling on my vehicle without any trouble?

3) How is navigation on the Pre 2 or other Palm devices? Is it pre-loaded? If not, can I buy a navigation app? Do they work even remotely as slick as Google Maps navigation on Android? How is GPS functionality in general?

4) I have not been on Palm forums for long. I don't know where the best place to go for help and information is. Can someone point me to the best place to see what issues people are having with their WebOS devices?

5)I have heard of WebOS users getting a TMC error. Is this common? Does this drive you nuts? Does anyone think it will be fixed on the Pre 3?

6) The number of apps for WebOS is not important to me. I use a very small subset of apps. How is the quality of apps? And does WebOS usually have the 'more well known' apps that the other OS's have?

7) What are the big issues with WebOS? Is there anything you hate about it? Is there anything this phone sucks at? Are there changes coming with the OS on the Pre 3 that will correct these problems?

8) Anyone have a chance to play around with the Pre 3? How is the hardware? Is it a major improvement over the Pre 2? Is the sliding mechanism prone to get wobbly or lose in the future? Is thie Pre 3's hardware finally up to snuff? And how is the camera?

9) I normally don't like to root to get the extra features I want. I have rooted Android devices in the past and just wish the OS would give me what I want out of the box, and if it doesn't, I want it to be pretty painless to make it how I want. Is there a 'rooting' process for WebOS or a way to make customization to the phone that Palm doesn't support but users love?

10) Can I use Google Voice as my standard Voicemail-box on WebOS? Is there an app for that? I think I've heard of Voogle but haven't had time to research it...

11) Is wireless charging as awesome as it sounds!? Does it have any flaws?

12) Have is playing music on these devices? Is it easy to put my MP3's on this thing and use it as a fully featured MP3 player?

13) Anyone know how the speaker will be on the Pre 3? I use my phones a lot for speakerphone calling and using the speaker for playing music.

14) Does WebOS get sluggish? And if so, do you think the Pre 3 finally has the stones to run it the way it is supposed to be run?

15) What other questions to I need to be asking? What am I missing?

I might have more. I am in an extreme hurry right now but I'll be checking this thread as often as possible. Looking forward to hearing from you all! My gut tells me I will absolutely love WebOS, because it looks friggin sweet, and buttery smooth on the Pre 3...

Thanks again
    That's quite a few questions, there.. and Im sure you will get responses to all amongs many posts, but, let me sum it up for you from my view, if I may:

WebOS:

This is probably the closest you are going to get to easy-to-sue desktop multitasking on any mobile operating system available today. The use of an individual "card" for each application, and having them on your screen is so close to how we compute on our PC's, that the migration to it is natural. The use of gestures was introduced to make one handed operation of any device easy, but, its so good that many people who move to other systems after truly miss them.

The bad: any OS is as good as its user's understanding of it, and the hardware it is dealing with. TMC errors have to do with not enough memory to deal with all that the device has to do at that moment. The Pre will come with 512 meg, but, if you keep 10 - 20 cards open for a long period of time, you can eventually rub up against its limits and get that error - WebOS will not suspend an app when minimized - that's the developer's doing, if it happens.

Pre 3- look - if you want a hardware keyboard smartphone that isnt landscape and still has a decent sized touchscreen, this has to be under serious consideration for you. IT isnt out yet, but, we are seeing clues that end of June/July is a good ETA expectation at this point. The specs are very, very good - HP didnt use a dual core CPU, likely because they realized that the WebOS OS will need raw speed and memory, so, the Snapdragon processor is clocked at 1.4 Ghz, and it will have an Adreno 205 GPU driving that 800 x 480 display. I'd say thats quite a bit of power under the hood.

The sound is aniticipated to be good or even much better than any competition because of the Beats audio that it will support - true 24 bit sound, so, when you plug in a headset with 24 bit capability, you should be experiencing sound unlike anything else - but, that's just what we are told..

Bluetooth - I have a Pre + and I paired my Garmin GPS to it, and calls through that system, both coming in and going out are seamless, clear and reliable. That's all I use it for, but, honestly, that's a huge plus.

For customizing your WebOS device, no matter what it is, the PreWare community is incredible, and its really quite easy to modify so many aspects of your phone to suit your needs. 'nuff said.

Navigation: I will never understand why GPS is so important to smartphone users - the screens, even on the largest, are still smaller than a deddicated 4.3" GPS unit, with nowhere near the connectivity reliability or speed. Use the GPS on the device as a tracker has its benefits, though.

# of apps: I'm with you - the number, whether its 6,000 or 300,000 doesnt mean diddly to me, as I only use a few, but, to many others, it does - that 300,000 bunch of apps suggests that there is probably a few apps everyone would like/need, versus WebOS's 7000 - but, the truth is, for a most of what we need is likely there, and with the newer devices sporting a new WebOS version, much more of the device's hardware will be used to allow developers to create applications that scan prices, or video conference, etc..

Wireless charging: The Touchstone may do to you as it did to me: made me wonder how I ever lived without it, when, in the beginning, I honestly thought it was just a nice thing to be able to do. It keeps the device usable when charging, which allows you to have a full battery life on the run when you have to take it off. Yes, you can use the Pre on the Touchstone while its charging to do anything, including making speakerphone calls!

I hope that helps somewhat -

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

LCGuy has a good answer up there - I agree with most of it.

Will try to briefly answer some of your questions below.

Quote Originally Posted by templetonryecy View Post
    1) Am I nuts or is this a great idea to get the Palm Pre3 and make the switch from Android?
    It's seldom nuts to try a new platform - given your history, I have little doubt that you will enjoy webOS. The only reason not to give it a shot is, as LCGuy mentioned, the risk that you will end up loving the user experience and never want to leave ... even if it means you end up losing some features available on other platforms. I left webOS once to go to Android - 9 months later I'm back and happier than I can describe. I've never been this attached to a mobile OS.

2) How is the bluetooth connectivity on Palm devices, such as the Palm Pre2? Will it sync up right away to my hands-free calling on my vehicle without any trouble?
    I don't have any experience with syncing with car BT, but my Veer (running almost the same OS as the unlocked Pre2) handles its connection to my stereo BT headphones well enough. It's certainly not "without any trouble" - I need to disconnect and reconnect pretty often. Can't say whether that's the headphones or the Veer, though.

3) How is navigation on the Pre 2 or other Palm devices? Is it pre-loaded? If not, can I buy a navigation app? Do they work even remotely as slick as Google Maps navigation on Android? How is GPS functionality in general?
    Whether it's pre-loaded or not depends on if you get it from a carrier or unlocked. AT&T pre-loads AT&T Navigator on the Veer, which I haven't tried. The VZW Pre2 comes with VZ Navigator ... again, haven't tried it.

There are a few turn-by-turn apps in the app catalog. I'm beta testing an app called NDrive for the Veer right now - it's pricey, but stores the maps locally on the device, which is a plus for some. I'll have more thoughts on NDrive next week. Point is, apps are available.

Google Navigation is top of the heap right now, though, IMO. I don't think anyone does it as slick as that at this point.

4) I have not been on Palm forums for long. I don't know where the best place to go for help and information is. Can someone point me to the best place to see what issues people are having with their WebOS devices?
    This site is pretty much the most active community I've found. There's also webOSRoundup, webOSInternals(z?), and the official Palm Developer Forums.

5)I have heard of WebOS users getting a TMC error. Is this common? Does this drive you nuts? Does anyone think it will be fixed on the Pre 3?
    Used to happen on my original Pre all the time. It never happened on my Pre 2, and only happens on my Veer when I force it (43+ apps open at once). That said, some third-party apps do cause it more frequently for some users. Multiple email accounts may also be an issue (though I have two attached to my device and it's not a problem for me).

I find it a good practice to re-boot my webOS device once a day or every other day, to clear up whatever memory has been sacrificed to leaks that I believe are still there.

6) The number of apps for WebOS is not important to me. I use a very small subset of apps. How is the quality of apps? And does WebOS usually have the 'more well known' apps that the other OS's have?
    This is always going to be subjective. webOS has about 60% of the apps I'd like to use on a regular basis. That app count will be growing with the introduction of newer devices and HP's renewed push - the question is how much. No one knows.

7) What are the big issues with WebOS? Is there anything you hate about it? Is there anything this phone sucks at? Are there changes coming with the OS on the Pre 3 that will correct these problems?
    In some ways, like user interface refinement and ease-of-use and the "fun factor" (my #1 criteria for using mobile devices), webOS can't be beat. It's just fun and fluid to use.

In others, it still feels like a buggy beta OS. The email app is very much a 1.0 experience, and sometimes the system will bog down for no apparent reason. This is rare with the new crop of devices running 2.x, and it happens much less frequently than it did on my Evo running Froyo, but it still happens. There's a learning curve to using a webOS device, and part of that is knowing when to wait for the phone to catch up to you. Anyone not comfortable with that need not apply, at the moment.

9) I normally don't like to root to get the extra features I want. I have rooted Android devices in the past and just wish the OS would give me what I want out of the box, and if it doesn't, I want it to be pretty painless to make it how I want. Is there a 'rooting' process for WebOS or a way to make customization to the phone that Palm doesn't support but users love?
    The community effort behind customizing webOS is broadly called "homebrew" and has been very successful at offering patches and other solutions for better webOS customization than is offered out of the box. You'll probably find it easier than similar customization on Android. Others can speak to this.

Yes and no, respectively. In my experience.

14) Does WebOS get sluggish? And if so, do you think the Pre 3 finally has the stones to run it the way it is supposed to be run?
    Already addressed this above. Haven't handled a Pre3, but webOS 2.1 ran like greased lightning on my Pre2, and the Pre3's processor is 40% faster (on paper). That said ... leave the thing running 7-10 apps at a time for a few days and you'll probably need a reboot, if previous experience is any indication. Same as every other smartphone.

Not sure! Post more questions here as you have them, and we'll do our best to give our opinions.
    See my answers below

Hello,

I am considering the switch from Android to WebOS. I currently have the Droid Incredible 2 on Verizon. As some background, I had a Blackberry Curve for 1 year, switched to the Motorola Droid 1 for 6 months, switched to the Droid Incredible 1 for 1 year, tried the iPhone 4 for 1 week, tried the HTC Thunderbolt for 1 week, and currently at the Droid Incredible 2. As an FYI, I have several lines and a job that allows me some phone flexibility so changing phones is not an issue for me. In fact, it's become an obsession, a quest to find the right hardware/software fit for me. Blackberry OS is just old, and they aren't doing a great job of keeping up, although I still love their messaging. iOS just sucks. Too boring and functionally inept for me. Android has so many positives but the platform is so fragmented it's ridiculous. I love the functionality but it's only because of my inner nerd that I'm able to use these devices so efficiently. I still struggle 'teaching' others how to user Android and all its features. It's getting better, and Gingerbread will be a step in the right direction, and hell maybe Ice Cream will bring it altogether, but I'm ready to try something else.

I have been intrigued by WebOS from day 1. I've read and watched hundreds of reviews and demonstrations of the various iterations of the operating system and hardware, including everything I can find on the Palm Pre 3. Bottom line, it looks like it just might be the WebOS phone I give a try. The OS, at least the idea behind it, is incredible. Nothing matches it, from what I can tell. I've never actually owned a device...

So, I have some questions for all you WebOS users, whether you are a diehard fan, a hater, or someone who objectively analyzes the positives and negatives of their Pre device. Any insight/information/clarification would be greatly appreciated!! These questions are in no particular order of importance, but I've number them in case posters easily wanted to refer back to one of the questions...

1) Am I nuts or is this a great idea to get the Palm Pre3 and make the switch from Android? I don't think it's crazy at all. These are just phones after all and not life decisions. WebOS is one of the best reviewed and liked OS's on the market. The whole concept behind it makes it a joy to use and incredibly intuitive. If you ever want to try something else, it's as easy as getting another phone.

2) How is the bluetooth connectivity on Palm devices, such as the Palm Pre2? Will it sync up right away to my hands-free calling on my vehicle without any trouble? Bluetooth connectivity is a snap. Pretty much works with most anything.

3) How is navigation on the Pre 2 or other Palm devices? Is it pre-loaded? If not, can I buy a navigation app? Do they work even remotely as slick as Google Maps navigation on Android? How is GPS functionality in general? Depends on what carrier you are on. Verizon disables navigation for these devices for whatever reason. But it works very well on the other carriers (Sprint has a free Nav program built in). Google is smoother because they own it and pour a ton of resources into it, but I've used the Sprint nav on occasion (I have car with Nav built-in) and it was fantastic.

4) I have not been on Palm forums for long. I don't know where the best place to go for help and information is. Can someone point me to the best place to see what issues people are having with their WebOS devices? You've found the best forum for that. If you look in our Tips, Information, and Resources forum, you will find a wealth of knowledge about these devices.

5)I have heard of WebOS users getting a TMC error. Is this common? Does this drive you nuts? Does anyone think it will be fixed on the Pre 3? This was very common on the original Sprint Pre- devices due to the fact that they had only 256K of RAM internally. The Pre2 has 512K along with a much faster processor, so this really isn't an issue at all for those phones. You can get around the issue on the older Sprint Pre- devices by increasing clock speed of the processor with a custom kernal and installing the Govnah app to control various kernal speeds. But as stated, it isn't an issue with the Pre2.

6) The number of apps for WebOS is not important to me. I use a very small subset of apps. How is the quality of apps? And does WebOS usually have the 'more well known' apps that the other OS's have? The app quality for webOS is fantastic, but the current quantity is a bit low. This will be changing as HP moves forward, but for now webOS offers a good selection, but not the overkill of apps the other OS's have. There are many well-known apps here, but there are also many that have not ported over to webOS yet. Hopefully they will once they see where HP takes the platform.

7) What are the big issues with WebOS? Is there anything you hate about it? Is there anything this phone sucks at? Are there changes coming with the OS on the Pre 3 that will correct these problems? the major gripe for most is the lack of apps. The early hardware was an issue, but the Pre2 changed that. The new Veer hardware gives a glimpse into the solid build coming to the Pre3 when released.

8) Anyone have a chance to play around with the Pre 3? How is the hardware? Is it a major improvement over the Pre 2? Is the sliding mechanism prone to get wobbly or lose in the future? Is thie Pre 3's hardware finally up to snuff? And how is the camera? I've been able to be hands-on with the Pre3 at the launch in SF. The phone's build quality is incredibly solid and they have changed the slider and keyboard. There is no wobble or wiggle to it at all and feels very sleek when you hold it. The camera was very good, but was still in the works when they demo'd it. I'm sure HP will have some input into hardware items like that for the final product.

9) I normally don't like to root to get the extra features I want. I have rooted Android devices in the past and just wish the OS would give me what I want out of the box, and if it doesn't, I want it to be pretty painless to make it how I want. Is there a 'rooting' process for WebOS or a way to make customization to the phone that Palm doesn't support but users love?There is no such thing as "rooting" or "jailbreaking" for webOS. Palm (HP) has made this device open for developers to play with and change items to the point they give users access to a button to enable Developer Mode which allows Homebrew apps and patches to be placed on the device to tweak it out to our hearts content. By installing Preware on the device, it is amazingly simple to patch and tweak the phone with hundreds of items including custom kernals, themes, patches, apps, etc. If you ever mess up, Palm even give you an app called the webOS Doctor that allows you to easily revert your device software back to stock settings. No need for custom/limited ROM's or worrying about 'jailbreaking' a device. It's all good with webOS!

10) Can I use Google Voice as my standard Voicemail-box on WebOS? Is there an app for that? I think I've heard of Voogle but haven't had time to research it... There is an app called Voogle which allows you to use Google voice on your phone.

11) Is wireless charging as awesome as it sounds!? Does it have any flaws?Wireless charging with the TouchStone is as awesome as it sounds. Period.

12) Have is playing music on these devices? Is it easy to put my MP3's on this thing and use it as a fully featured MP3 player?Extremely easy. There are music apps you can use to sync your music to the devices, or you can simply hook your phone to the computer and put it in USB mode with a single button press and drag/drop your music, movies, and files onto your phone.

13) Anyone know how the speaker will be on the Pre 3? I use my phones a lot for speakerphone calling and using the speaker for playing music. The speaker (from what I experienced) is very good. But no one can give you a definitive answer yet because the phone has not been released or given out for reviews.

14) Does WebOS get sluggish? And if so, do you think the Pre 3 finally has the stones to run it the way it is supposed to be run? Again, the faster clock speed and larger RAM of the Pre2 and beyond has eliminated this issue. They are very quick and fun devices. There will always be faster, but until the Pre3 this is a very speedy phone.

15) What other questions to I need to be asking? What am I missing? You hit some good questions... if you have more, just ask or look at the link I gave you in Question #4

I might have more. I am in an extreme hurry right now but I'll be checking this thread as often as possible. Looking forward to hearing from you all! My gut tells me I will absolutely love WebOS, because it looks friggin sweet, and buttery smooth on the Pre 3...

Thanks again
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

8) Anyone have a chance to play around with the Pre 3? How is the hardware? Is it a major improvement over the Pre 2? Is the sliding mechanism prone to get wobbly or lose in the future? Is thie Pre 3's hardware finally up to snuff? And how is the camera?

10) Can I use Google Voice as my standard Voicemail-box on WebOS? Is there an app for that? I think I've heard of Voogle but haven't had time to research it...

12) Have is playing music on these devices? Is it easy to put my MP3's on this thing and use it as a fully featured MP3 player?

13) Anyone know how the speaker will be on the Pre 3? I use my phones a lot for speakerphone calling and using the speaker for playing music.

Thanks again
    That's a lot of questions! I'll do my best to answer these.

1. Honestly, I work on Androids and iPhones every day, but have a Palm as my primary device. It is just an overall more enjoyable and intuitive experience. My g/f has an Android phone and I often catch her using many of the WebOS gestures on her phone and stuttering switching between apps on her phone. The card experience and UI is just very hard to beat in my opinion.

2. I have a bluetooth cd deck in my car and I play music through it, run GPS navigation, and make calls with it - handles it all pretty well. I only can't speak to handfree calling or syncing contacts to a device as I never use that functionality.

3. The Sprint devices came with Sprint Navigation for free, which uses Telenav under the hood. I honestly find it very good, and it integrates with your contacts and such. Verizon phones use VZNavigator, which is ok but I believe they charge 10/month for it. As to how it compares to Google navigation, if I'm being honest I think Google's is a bit better since they do a better job of adjusting the zoom level during turns and having street view, etc. The Sprint navigation app is more traditional, but still very good and usable, and free as well.

4. Websites and forums such as this aren't a bad idea. Perhaps forums.palm.com would be another option. There are also the IRC channels for webos as well.

5. Personally, I've never gotten this - but I don't keep crazy amounts of cards open like some people do. When I'm done with something I close it. I have the original sprint pre, and now I'm using the pre 2 on sprint. I think that was really more of a problem with the original pre/pixi since the memory was more limited. I imagine with the Pre 3 that will be virtually gone with the spec bumps and the latest webos version.

6. Palm seems to be pretty good about having the most common apps either with the phone or available in the App Catalog. I mean right when I got my phone I had mp3 player, email, gps nav, google maps, browser, calendar, youtube, etc. Then from the store you can get a lot of the major apps like Facebook, Pandora, Yelp, Fandango, Linkedin, and many third party apps for things like Dropbox or Picasa. I think the one app I want and can't have is a Netflix video streaming app.

7. The original pre people complained about hardware stability, battery life, and slowness. The Pre 2 and later WebOS versions already addressed most of people's issues, I suppose battery life could be a bit better.

8. Can't really comment on this, but they fixed most of the "wobbly" issue on the Pre2 already so i don't think they would reintroduce it on the Pre3.

9. You don't really root Palm devices, they basically come with root access and run linux under the hood, and allow you to access and make the changes you want. More likely, you will just install the Preware app from WebOS Internals which will let you install themes, patches, tweaks, and homebrew apps if you like.

10. Dont know a lot about it, but sprint is partners with google voice so I just switched over to gvoice without much effort.

11. Yes its very awesome, I love it. Even mounted touchstone in my car so I just walk in, attach it, and it charges while i navigate or play music.

12. Yep, just hook it up and drag all your mp3s. The music player is great, and there are user made ones that pack a bunch of extra features.

13. I don't know about this.

14. Originally WebOS felt a bit sluggish, and with a patch you could overclock it and ti made things much better. Now with the Pre2 I hardly get bothered by the speed. I can only imagine the Pre3 being even better.

15. I can't think of any. The fact that you've seen and really like WebOS says a lot, and if you use it you will probably be happy. Most of the shortcomings with the hardware will likely be going away, so it really will only be lacking in the app catalog, but as stated that's not a huge bother to you and they generally have all the most common apps.

Good luck!
    I did the same (to pre 2 though) and am liking it so far. You're on a WebOS forum though, I doubt you'll get anyone saying you're nuts.

Works fine. Only weirdness is that it automatically goes into discovery mode when you're on the preferences screen and turns off when you leave it.

Google maps preloaded. Navigation not loaded. Verizon has VZW navigator, but I can't comment on it.

New user here, so I'm probably not the best person to comment, but this place seems to be pretty decent.

Not seen it yet on my VZW pre2.

I found every app that I used on Android, or a suitable replacement. Chances are you'll be able to find a good replacement for most apps, but there may be one specific app that you want that isn't available. App quality seems to be very high in my opinion, and certainly look a lot nicer than most android apps.

Too early for me to have seen any issues. Very occasional slowness on the pre2, but much better than my android phone, and much smoother in general. My biggest complaint has been the difficulty of finding 3rd party accessories - few people seem to make them for the pre2. The pre 3 is supposed to be a flagship device so I expect this won't be an issue once it's been out for a little while.

It's pretty painless to do. From what I gather it's not a 'rooting' process per se as much as simply enabling developer mode. You type in a code and it's enabled, at which point you can install PreWare. Lots of people have made patches to customize just about every aspect of the OS, so there will probably be something to cure any little annoyances you might have about behavior (E.g. I have a patch to make SMS messages buzz for longer so I can clearly distinguish Emails, SMS and phone calls when on vibrate).

Yes. Don't pay full price for the touchstone - it can be gotten for $12-13 on amazon. No flaws I've noticed so far.

It feels much, much smoother than Android (I've tried the original droid and my wife has the droid X). I think everything experiences the occasional slowdown when busy, but it seems to be temporary when it does occur and doesn't happen often.
    First of all welcome! That's a lot of questions but I can help with some of them.

4. This is the best place to get community support. There are a lot of people on here that know what they're talking about and are willing to help, it really is a great community.

9. We don't actually have to 'root' webOS devices, at least not that I know of. To customize the device all you need to do is turn on dev mode, then connect the phone to the computer to install preware. Preware is like another app catalog, full of theme's, patches, kernels, and beta-apps. Everything can be done OTA after installing preware.

11. Yes, wireless charging is pretty freakin awesome. It charges a little slower, but it's not something that I ever notice.

12. For music I always just drag and drop after connecting the phone and selecting USB mode. As for music players, the stock player is a barely passable option, it is very basic. A good option (and the one I use) is music player remix, it costs a couple bucks in the app catalog, and is one of the best I have ever used. I believe you can search it up and find some demo's if you want to check it out.

Also, the audio quality on my sprint pre- is not very good at all, but the pre3 should come with beats audio and will hopefully be a marked improvement.
    Hello,

Thanks again
    1Q) Am I nuts or is this a great idea to get the Palm Pre3 and make the switch from Android?
    A) The Pre3 carriers haven't been officially announced, and the version of webOS/applications availability isn't really known well at this point so I think you'll just have to wait and see the final info as it comes out in the coming weeks... like the rest of us. The expectations I have for the Pre3 would say, yes, I would get it over any Android device available.

2Q) How is the bluetooth connectivity on Palm devices, such as the Palm Pre2? Will it sync up right away to my hands-free calling on my vehicle without any trouble?
    A) Connectivity is quite good. Yes, the Pre2 and Pre3 feature multiple device bluetooth connectivity, and even my Pre- works very well with a bluetooth device.

3Q) How is navigation on the Pre 2 or other Palm devices? Is it pre-loaded? If not, can I buy a navigation app? Do they work even remotely as slick as Google Maps navigation on Android? How is GPS functionality in general?
    A) Google Maps on webOS is outdated compared to Android. GPS hardware in the devices seem quite good, but carrier interference has been known to cause serious problems with Pre+ users on Verizon. The Pre2 forum has a lot of information on how it's GPS is working. Sprint Navigation is the service I use for turn by turn GPS, and it's free on Sprint. Verizon and AT&T charge for their service. For Sprint, it's excellent. I can't speak to other turn by turn GPS apps.

4Q) I have not been on Palm forums for long. I don't know where the best place to go for help and information is. Can someone point me to the best place to see what issues people are having with their WebOS devices?
    A) Each device seems to have its own unique set of issues so far as they're all different from each other in some significant way. Use the forum of your target device to learn more. If you're gathering information about the Pre3, I would probably use the Pre2 and Veer forums as they're running webOS 2.x vs. the rest of us on webOS 1.4.x. They're different animals.

5Q)I have heard of WebOS users getting a TMC error. Is this common? Does this drive you nuts? Does anyone think it will be fixed on the Pre 3?
    A) The TMC error is long dead/insignificant. You can watch videos of the TMC error attempts on youtube.com all day where 30-40+ cards are opened some with 3D games, etc. The original Pre-/Pixi- were by far the most susceptible to the problem, but they don't even usually hit the issue until you get 10+ apps open at the same time without overclocking. I haven't received the error on my overclocked Pre- in years.

6Q) The number of apps for WebOS is not important to me. I use a very small subset of apps. How is the quality of apps? And does WebOS usually have the 'more well known' apps that the other OS's have?
    A) It's tough to say whether the Pre3 app catalog will be impressive at launch. webOS gaming is solid, and there are a wide variety of productivity and entertainment apps. Until recently, microphone and camera APIs were not available which made for a lack of bar code scanner and music recognition apps. Most mainstream apps are available.

7Q) What are the big issues with WebOS? Is there anything you hate about it? Is there anything this phone sucks at? Are there changes coming with the OS on the Pre 3 that will correct these problems?
    A) The stock internet browser is pretty poor, but I've read really impressive things about browser apps that are available. HP/Palm has an excellent relationship with home brew application developers, and HP actively supports the home brew community development of patches which enhance functionality. Typically, if there is an issue you don't like with your webOS device, there is a patch that specifically addresses the issue. Most people who don't love their webOS device don't understand how to use it or haven't messed with it. It's true that unlocking a phone to improve performance is not preferred, but webOS 2+ continues to show leaps of improvement in user functionality.

8Q) Anyone have a chance to play around with the Pre 3? How is the hardware? Is it a major improvement over the Pre 2? Is the sliding mechanism prone to get wobbly or lose in the future? Is thie Pre 3's hardware finally up to snuff? And how is the camera?
    A) Everybody that has touched a Pre3 has indicated the hardware is of amazing build quality and feel from all I've read, and I've read a lot. Little is known about the camera other than it's an autofocus 5MP unit with LED flash. Based on early photos from the Pre/Pre2/Veer (non-autofocus) cameras, I expect the image quality to be very good for a smartphone.

9Q) I normally don't like to root to get the extra features I want. I have rooted Android devices in the past and just wish the OS would give me what I want out of the box, and if it doesn't, I want it to be pretty painless to make it how I want. Is there a 'rooting' process for WebOS or a way to make customization to the phone that Palm doesn't support but users love?
    A) Enter the old Nintendo Contra Code "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart" from the launcher for my device. Touch "Turn on developer mode", restart.

10Q) Can I use Google Voice as my standard Voicemail-box on WebOS? Is there an app for that? I think I've heard of Voogle but haven't had time to research it...
    A) Yes. Voogle can take care of that for you.

11Q) Is wireless charging as awesome as it sounds!? Does it have any flaws?
    A) Wireless charging is a focus in webOS 2.x with special exhibition modes, and most people who use wireless charging are huge fans. It isn't as fast as microUSB charging via the outlet. It's similar to charging via a USB connection or car charger.

12Q) Have is playing music on these devices? Is it easy to put my MP3's on this thing and use it as a fully featured MP3 player?
    A) The stock music player blows in functionality, but the quality output is solid. There are music player apps which enhance the device greatly.

13Q) Anyone know how the speaker will be on the Pre 3? I use my phones a lot for speakerphone calling and using the speaker for playing music.
    A) Even the little Veer's speaker is good. HP/Palm devices have solid speakers.

14Q) Does WebOS get sluggish? And if so, do you think the Pre 3 finally has the stones to run it the way it is supposed to be run?
    A) I use a Pre-. It can be moved to a crawl if not overclocked. When overclocked, it's much better, but the Pre2 and Veer are much faster, and much harder to slow down. The Pre3 is expected to eliminate virtually any lag.

15Q) What other questions to I need to be asking? What am I missing?
    A) I don't know. It depends on what you want your device to do; how you want to use it. Potential lack of decent virtual keyboard (that's unknown at this point). Any specific apps you need/really really want?
    Hello,

I love WebOS and have run the numbers on switching carriers (long time Sprint User to get the newest hardware)

BT is awesome, I can give you a run down real easy. Stores all your BT profiles so switching between BT devices is easy. We have a BT house phone, get in the car to leave work listen to podcast music via BT all the way home, get home walk in the house phone automagically connects to home phone, etc it is seamless. Also, you can listen to your audio device of choice and run Navigation at the same time over BT, music fades so nav can give directions (if you just want visual you can shut the nav audio off) and of course if the phone rings, everything mutes.

On Sprint Nav comes with it for free, GPS and Nav have been great on my Sprint Pre, you will see there have been issues in the past on VZW. There is also a company that is making a stand alone nav app for WebOS devices (I believe it is in beta for the Veer right now).

This is a tough one, since new hardware isn't out, you can look in the Pre 2 forums and the Veer forums for the more up to date software and hardware info.

This is hit and miss, I am running the oldest hardware with "UberKernel" that has pretty much eliminated TMC for me (and I run at the factory 500/600 mhz setting.

This depends on what you are referring to as well known, but at this point I will say no. Then again I do suspect a lot of new apps with the launching of the new hardware Pre3 and TouchPad

Other than wanting newer more powerful hardware (Pre3 will be fine for me), I honestly love everything about WebOS.

All reports have been good, but no long term use at this point. At the same time, my wife and I are on our original Pre (almost 2 years old), so the Pre3 should be good from whats reported.

The homebrew community around WebOS is awesome, best part is Palm and now HP support the homebrew community. With WebOS you get software from the manufacturer to reset your phone to factory specs if need be. HP donated a server to WebOSInternals (the group and host for pretty much the hub of the homebrew/patching/rooting community). Also until the Veer, the WebOS phones have been unbrickable, at this point it does look like the Veer may be brickable (but we will see what Rod and WebOSInterals can do).

Wireless charging is AWESOME, I have one on my desk at work, two in the bedroom and an extra one floating around for the car/living room/trips/etc

I don't carry my MP3 player anymore, I download podcasts directly to the phone, keep about a gig of music on the phone and use multiple streaming services on the phone.

From what I have read about folks on Pre2s I can't imagine the Pre3 being sluggish unless you were trying to push it. Since WebOS multitasking is only limited by its ram, I am sure at some point you could bring the phone to it's knees, but I don't think this will happen with normal useage

Thanks again

I left out the ones I didn't have anything to say on.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  10.    #10  
    All I have to say right now is - WOW! Thank you so much to everyone that has responded in less than a few hours.

As a new visitor to these forums, I really appreciate it. A lot of the answers you have supplied are definitely answers I was hoping to get.

I know I typed a heck of a lot of questions in my original post so once again, I appreciate those that are taking the time to provide feedback and insight.

I really look forward to trying a Web OS device, and if it works out the way I think it will, I also look forward to becoming a contributor to these forums.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Like you I was fascinated by WebOS from the beginning but had never tried it out. I'm up for a new phone and weighing my options between Android and WebOS (I don't care for IOS). I bought a used Pre Plus last month. With the help of this forum I was able to use my Pre on wifi without activating. To make it short and sweet, I fell in love with WebOS. It was everything I'd read about it and more. Unfortunately my Pre died a disappointing and premature death from a hardware problem a week or so ago. Depending on early reviews, I'm planning on buying a Pre 3 when "Summer" comes. Early reports on the Veer and the Pre 3 are that the hardware is much improved over the Pre- and Pre+. After having a taste of WebOS I really, really do not want to settle for an Android phone. Good luck whatever you decide.

Don
    Seems most of your questions have been answered. This is a WebOS forum so I doubt anyone is going to say stick with Android. I started with a pre- and when the hardware started to get a little rough around the edges I switched to an HTC Evo 4G running Android. This is the phone I currently use. Having said that I should have just held onto my pre- and waited. I can't wait to get a Pre3 and will even consider leaving Sprint (Over 10 Year Gold Premier Memeber) if they don't carry it. I think if I started with an Android phone I would have thought it was a lot better than it is but coming from a webOS phone it is just not as intuitive and easy to use. The homebrew community and the ability to customize the phone without rooting or jailbreaking is 2nd to none. HP/Palm embraces the homebrew community instead of discouraging it. I think you will be very happy with the Pre3 but I am a fan boy. My 2 cents.
    I can't add much to all the answers above -- good info!! But, I have a question for you. You say "Android has so many positives but the platform is so fragmented it's ridiculous". Curious as to how fragmentation affects you, the end user?

The only way I am exposed to fragmentation as an end user is when an app comes out with an update to fix something for a specific phone. I think fragmentation is a much more serious issue for developers.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    The only way I am exposed to fragmentation as an end user is when an app comes out with an update to fix something for a specific phone. I think fragmentation is a much more serious issue for developers.
    Good point. I have a couple developer buddies and the fragmentation drives them nuts. I myself am not a developer and will not become one. I suppose for me it's issue with an update coming to one device and not the other. This phone getting gingerbread, this one not. Netflix for these 4 devices, these 6 have to wait, FFC on some and not the others. Sense vs Blur vs Touch-**** (aka Touchwiz), etc. etc. Maybe it's more annoying than anything!
    To add to the answers:

I use Verizon VZNavigator. 99% of the time it works great. Once (and only one time) I had it get confused where I was while I was walking in my neighborhood. It was off by a couple blocks.

GPS on Verizon without VZNavigator is suspect on the Pre Plus. I routinely see very large delta (half-mile or more) from my current position. Running VZNav seems to help fix this which is very strange but true.

Overall the Navigation using VZNav is great - but as pointed out it is very basic. A basic GPS unit is better. Useful if you have it with you and you're in someone elses car or you traveled to the location and wish to use it in a rental.

Other answers I can contribute to:
    Bluetooth is great - I can't complain much. Occasionally I have had to shut it down and restart it (the service not the phone) to get connected. This could be related to my headsets and devices.

Problems with lag - these are real. This is what irks me the most. I hate tapping a phone number and having the unit lag behind me. I've answered calls and had to wait for the phone to realize I'm doing this. All of this is on a Pre Plus with no overclocking. Overclocking seems to help some people but could void warranty... ymmv.

Are you crazy? Maybe - but we all are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    GPS on Verizon without VZNavigator is suspect on the Pre Plus. I routinely see very large delta (half-mile or more) from my current position. Running VZNav seems to help fix this which is very strange but true.
    Verizon intentionally cripples the Pre+'s GPS outside VZNavigator from my understanding. I'm sure the intent was to sell more $10/mo VZNavigator subscriptions.

I believe the Pre2 wasn't impacted by that issue, but I can't recall for sure.
    Threads like this is the reason I joined and what I love about Precentral. Great job by all who took the time to answer sooooo many great questions in-depth.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 05/27/2011 at 08:10 PM.
    templetonryecy

Welcome. You'll love webOS!

PS- Templeton Rye = + Cy = -

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    this is a good forum, imo. However, looking at your phone history, I don't know if you will completely like Webos as there is no perfect phone/software and Webos is not without it's flaws. I still prefer it to Android though Good luck.
    I'm considering the exact same move (except that I'm still on a Dinc 1 ). I played with a friend's Pre Plus that he hated (like, literally, hated) and let him play with my DROID Incredible.

Anyways, fifteen minutes later he was asking how to "multitask back to Twitter" on Android.

My experience with his Pre was actually pretty great. Obviously he isn't a tech nerd, so it wasn't overclocked or anything. Crappy build quality, plastic screen and all, it's an amazing OS. Which basically sealed the deal for me: Pre 3.

I'm not saying that webOS is perfect and that Android has so many faults. Both are actually very nice, but in different ways. Android has the (crappy) apps, and the amazing hardware. webOS is like iOS in many ways, where they both have the experience down, as well as apps that have been bathed in polish.

Also, Android's fragmentation directly affects me, the paying consumer, when super popular apps like Netflix restrict their app to only certain devices. Sure, you can hack it on, but how many non-nerds are going to do that? Plus, Google has made some interesting anti-rooting moves lately (culminating in their removal of Android Market Movies for rooted phones). I'll speak with my wallet, and move to a different platform for that.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast