Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by joejoe1 View Post
    First off you need to check this other thread out. IT's called general complaitns/farewell. Everytime a long time user wants to say good bye to the palm pre or has a negative story, this forum removes their posts where people like you can see it and puts it in a dark hole somewhere to be forgotten/looked over. It happened to me, a pre user for 2 years.

I am leaving th epre because 2 years after launch because there is no medical program, no good/functioning word/pdf/ppt programs that i can use, and a dearth of other applications a working person needs in a phone. I am going to android funny enough.

I will provide answers to your questions invidually as well, without sounding too bitter about things.

1) you're not nuts but it's not a great idea either. If you just use your phone for games/messaging, and not for documents or work, then you will be happy. But if you buy the phone thinking you will get timely and full support from hp/palm, then you are sorely mistaken.

2) bluetooth is as good as any phone out there.

3) nav on my pre- sprint is good, no complaints now. I had soooo many problems with pre's 1-4. Pre 5 seems to be good with nav.

4) This is the best site for palm information hands down. I love dieter and derek's articles. see the thread i linked above. here is the direct link. http://forums.precentral.net/palm-ge...ll-thread.html

5) I get it all the time, but i think it was fixed with palm pre +

6)The quality and quantity of apps is poor on web os. The precious few that we have are not as widely supported *** other OS's. facebook is an example of such, still broken after 1-2 months. Also, no epocrates for medical people.

7) Support from hp/palm is lacking. Also, developers are not as enthused with plam as they are andriod. But what few developers are here are loyal as they come.

8) No idea

9) Its so easy a baby could do it. even I did it. I also did one of those pre- to pre+ on sprint, and im not a tech guy.

10) no clue

11) Dont get me started on my experience with touchstone. Way too buggy and sensitive. I went through 3-4 touchstones and each one did this thing were it beeped every minute because it would lose contact with magnets then reconnect. IT's so annoying theyre in my closet somewhere. There was a huge fiasco about them having this problem.

12) Music is great on the palm. Easy to just drag files onto the hard drive. I give the expreince of music 5 stars.

13) i dont know

14) webos gets vey very sluggish for me. I have a pre-, i wait 5-10 seconds for messenger to load, sometimes more for eail to load. I hear the pre2 and pre3 fixes this.

15) make sure you do this for the right reasons and understand what youre giving up when you make the switch. However, if you think everyone in palm pre world is happy because of what you see in the forums, you are mistaken. It's just all the negative posts get moved to the whiner/complainers thread, even tho we were all loyal to palm but have been burned many a many times. IF after reading all that, you can still stomach the purchase, then I think you should switch. But i'm going the opposite way.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-ge...ll-thread.html
    I do appreciate the feedback, joejoe. I fully understand that, like every mobile OS, there are certainly two sides to the WebOS coin and will be checking out the Complaints forum you referenced. Thanks!!
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I just wanted to mention to the OP that if you enjoy the great integration of google services on android, you might encounter some issues when switching to webos. Its been mentioned in this thread in a glossed over fashion but google maps for webos is horrible and lacks most of the functions that you find on Android and even iOS. It takes a while to load because it is not a native app. It really is about as basic as can be which means its not very powerful but it is usable. I'd also say the webos email sorely needs to be updated. The good news is I think HP is aware of this and changes are coming. We've seen Bing replace Google on the Touchpad and it looks very nice. The email app on the touchpad has also been updated and looks great. When these changes are coming to the phones, I couldn't tell you but I'm pretty sure they will.

With all that said, I highly recommend you spend some time with webOS. You seem like someone who has had no issues going from phone to phone so the Pre 3 would be a great experiment for you. Check it out for a couple of weeks and return it if it is not up to your liking. Its an amazing UI thats a pleasure to use but its not perfect by any means which can also be said of the other mobile OS's out there.
    I do take advantage of the google integration on Android. Maps, for example, is indeed a great app. But I really only use the maps portion occasionally. Navigation itself is more important to me. If there is a suitable replacement for WebOS, I'll be satisfied. It sounds like there are some solid options out there and I look forward to checking them.

Thanks for your feedback.
  3.    #43  
    Watch the videos from Apples WWDC. I see iOS is upgrading notifications, the lockscreen, and wireless syncing capabilities. Even though it's a ripoff of other OS's, and 2 years too late, I think the notification center and lock screen utilization is a step in the right direction for iPhone users. Can't believe I'm saying that :-)

A few more questions, because I've never actually lived with a Pre device on a day-to-day basis...

1) How exactly do notifications work on WebOS? I understand there's a non-disrupting image that pops up at the bottom of the screen.
    Does this show snippets of texts or emails?
    Does it show all notifications (including those from twitter/facebook)?
    Does this area ever become clutter?
    I know you can swipe away a notification if you do not want it anymore. Is there a place to go to see all notifications? If not, does it get frustrating if you swipe one away just to save screen real estate but then forget what the notification was?
    Can you get notifications from weather apps (I'm thinking temperature here)?

2) How does WebOS utilize the lock screen? I don't see to much of the lockscreen in videos.
    Does it show notifications?
    If so, can you access these notifications from the lockscreen (easily jumping into the app)?
    Does it offer shortcuts (like to the camera or web)?
    If not, are there apps or homebrew apps that utilize the lockscreen?
    Is there a way to show the weather/forecast on the lockscreen?
    Are there plans with 3.0 to update how WebOS takes advantage of lockscreen real estate natively?

3) Are there apps available (catelog or homebrew) that allow wireless syncing of photos and music between WebOS and a computer?

Any insight on WebOS notifications, lockscreens, and music/photo syncing would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS AGAIN!
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Im still on a webOS 1.4.5 device so it might have changed on the newer products running 2.x.

1) Once deleted the notification is gone but I dont find it much of a problem at all as I try and deal with it right away ie answering that e-mail or text message. You could just minimize them instead of deleting them, look at screenshots below.

2) In the screen settings you can set the lock screen to display notifications. It will display text messages, e-mails, missed calls, callendar events etc. Music player and other sound apps usually make use of the lockscreen.

Lockscreen:

Notifications minimized:

Notifications maximized:
    Last edited by Andreas; 06/07/2011 at 11:05 AM.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    The image above shows expanded notifications or the immediate notification for a second or two. After the first couple seconds, the notifications shrink to tray icons in the lower right corner.

The tray icons are the same format as the icons above (like the text bubble), and you can interact with them to expand the notification to view additional basic info or swipe it off to remove it. Notifications can be used by both native OS apps like messaging, calendar, phone, and email, but other applications can use notifications, too. Like Facebook, Foursquare, Twitter clients, Pandora, etc.

They do not ever become cluttered.

Once expanded, the notification can fill you in on additional basic information for emails. What email account, who it's from, the beginning of the message all without actually launching the email app if you don't want to. Same with text messaging and calendar stuff.

Yes, notifications work while the phone is locked.
    Just to add, lockscreen notifications are passive, so you cant interact with them, or access app just by tapping lockscreen notification.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Just to add, lockscreen notifications are passive, so you cant interact with them, or access app just by tapping lockscreen notification.
    Except the Music app notification where you can pause/play and step back/forward without unlocking the screen.
  8.    #48  
    Thank you for the responses so far! Curious to know if the weather/forecast can be displayed on the lockscreen also. I guess a workaround would be if there is an app that displays the current temperature in the menu bar at the time (similar to the way Weather Bug works on Android). Is there an app for that? (I cringed typing that)

Also curious to know if there is any native or homebrew functionality to allow shortcuts (such as camera or other apps) on the lockscreen.

Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    That's mostly true... Pandora I thought allowed direct interaction and I know Quick System Tasks has an option to bypass lock if desired.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts

There's actually quite a lot to webos notifications but here are 3 of the basic notifications in webos. From left to right, Icon mode, List mode and Ticker mode.

Here's a video of one of the creative uses of notifications.

The 4th basic notification is banner? (i forget official names for these) mode and you see it when you get a new call and some other apps use it.

There are also different 'lockscreen' modes in webos. Basic lockscreen, touchstone docked lockscreen and Exhibition mode. The Touchstone is a wireless charger and dock for webos phones. Basic and touchstone lockscreen only differs in that you can see the top of your wallpaper in basic mode (there are apps that let you put weather or notes on your wallpaper). You can also see weather in an notification like so . Some apps let you interact with the notifications from the lockscreen (like music), it just depends on the developer to turn that setting on for the app. I believe there is a patch for camera access with the volume buttons, not sure if it works from lockscreen.

Exhibition mode allows access to exhibition enabled apps when docked with the touchstone instead of going to the touchstone lockscreen. Search for Dealert, Twithibition and Touchstone Weather for some examples.

You can search the Palm App Catalog at Precentral, webOSroundup or myappbox.
    As the posts above show, notifications are one of the strongest points of WebOS. I love my 1.x device on the TS at work.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Except the Music app notification where you can pause/play and step back/forward without unlocking the screen.
    This is a mixed feature. I'm on an Epic until the next Sprint webOS phone, but I did have an issue with the music player on my Pre-. Every time it changed songs, the screen would turn on.

That was fine, unless the phone was in my pocket (doing housework, etc.). In that case, random skin/heat contact sometimes paused, advanced, etc. my song. I learned to face the screen out in my pocket, eventually. It was still annoying.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post

There's actually quite a lot to webos notifications but here are 3 of the basic notifications in webos. From left to right, Icon mode, List mode and Ticker mode.

Here's a video of one of the creative uses of notifications.

The 4th basic notification is banner? (i forget official names for these) mode and you see it when you get a new call and some other apps use it.

There are also different 'lockscreen' modes in webos. Basic lockscreen, touchstone docked lockscreen and Exhibition mode. The Touchstone is a wireless charger and dock for webos phones. Basic and touchstone lockscreen only differs in that you can see the top of your wallpaper in basic mode (there are apps that let you put weather or notes on your wallpaper). You can also see weather in an notification like so . Some apps let you interact with the notifications from the lockscreen (like music), it just depends on the developer to turn that setting on for the app. I believe there is a patch for camera access with the volume buttons, not sure if it works from lockscreen.

Exhibition mode allows access to exhibition enabled apps when docked with the touchstone instead of going to the touchstone lockscreen. Search for Dealert, Twithibition and Touchstone Weather for some examples.

You can search the Palm App Catalog at Precentral, webOSroundup or myappbox.
    Great stuff. Much appreciated it.

I'm sure you and others will enjoy this article :-)
    Apple's iOS 5 notifications are great, but webOS is still better
    Thats a great article about the iOS5 notifications... I know someone who already has the beta, so Im asking him to play with those points to check it out.

I just finished a 3 week trial with Android and the Nexus S. Aside from very cool apps, I hated it. Android is just not friendly. Nor pretty. And EATS the battery if you actually use it like a smartphone.

Hope Pre3 comes to Sprint. Ive played with a Veer and am loving the 2.1 !!!
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by templetonryecy View Post
    Great stuff. Much appreciated it.

I'm sure you and others will enjoy this article :-)
    Apple's iOS 5 notifications are great, but webOS is still better
    Very nice article.
    Noticed the Android vs Apple war in the comments section.
    Last edited by Andreas; 06/08/2011 at 07:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    You were right--I did enjoy the article!

But those of us here know the notification system on webOS is amazing & one of the strengths of the UI.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123