Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You forgot to ask if everyone will think you're so-totally-omg-super-fresh-and-cool-out-the-wazoo for owning a webOS phone...

They won't. They'll say "What's a webOS?"

For now anyway...
    WOW!!!!! Just saw how big this post is! I now congratulate you if you actually will read all that!

Hopefully you have lived up to your utter nerdness like me and have read all of these extreme posts before mine and have finally foraged your way through to my grand post. I just want to say to you that you are obviously a very smart person who prides himself on being informed... like me! I am really glad that you have taken a sip of our cool-aid and know of it's sweat awesomeness. Now, on to all of your questions

1.) You are absolutely doing the right thing. The Pre3 has been sent from the gods and will fulfill your every dream. It fixes every single problem there has every been with the Pre lineup. It has a great keyboard, big screen, more RAM, better processer... the list goes on.

2.) I have not had personal experience with a Car Bluetooth setup but there are hundreds of Pre users who do, as it does work with most car setups. I remember reading a post about how spectacular it was when a forum member was driving down a road listening to music through his bluetooth car stereos when he got a call. He tapped answer and it automatically paused the music, then feed the audio through the car speakers while using the phone's mic because his car didn't have one. Once the caller hung up, the music started playing again right were it stopped and he only had to tap accept the call the whole time *hands free*.

3.) My experience with maps are mostly with Sprint Nav and Google Maps. Sprint Nav is great as it has hands free map navigation. Google Maps is what comes on every device, however, sense google has given little to no help they have decided to switch to Bing Maps which are much more reliable. Google Maps is ok on the Pre devices and GPS works well. However, on Verizon's network for a short time, Verizon Nav had bugs in it which made you have to open it to be able to use the GPS (keyword: a short time, not now). The Pre3 will probably come with bing maps which will have significant upgrades to the original Google Maps. It will have everything you need. The only minus is that it may not have walking directions for a while.

4.) Guess what friend. You are already over the rainbow into the great land of PreCentral. This is the best place for questions, concerns, or info. Another place you may want to bookmark is WebOSRounUp.com . They run a much better blog for all WebOS news there. But the best part about it is they have contests! The newest thing they have out are these thing called crates, which are groups of paid apps that you can buy for what ever price you want. (yes, you choose the price) and the money you "donate" goes to ether the devs who made the apps, charity, or WebOSRoundUp. You get to choose. BUT there are benefits if you pay more like enrolling in a chance to win a Pre2 and stuff

5.) That error has been more than fixes in the Pre2 and Pre3 because they added a whole half a GB of RAM which will almost guarantees no TMC error ever (seriously). The TMC error is kinda annoying but you get the live with it but sense it is non existent on Pre2 and up there is no purpose of speaking of it ever again :P

6.) The apps in the WebOS Catalogue are of very high quality. You will find any of your needs there. They already have alot of big name companies however, with their new refresh of development tools they are really starting to hook in alot of the big names into their platform. I will guarantee you that in a year and a half every single somewhat big name app will be on WebOS. But for now, at the launch of the TouchPad and Pre3 there will be a new hord of bigges coming out.

7.) WebOS is a very awesome OS. There isn't much to grip about the OS and of the thing that do bother me, they are fixing most of them in the wave of devices. First, WebOS is a true multitasking OS and because of this it tends to slow down when it is running a bunch of apps at once. The Pre3 fixes this pretty well by having a better processor, more RAM, and the speed improvements done to the OS such as GPU acceleration. The Music syncing system isn't as clean as Apple has with their whole ecosystem but it does suite most people. Right now you can use a 3rd party sync'er like DoubleTwist or just drag and drop. HP has something big in the works for media syncing that Ruby called Music Synergy. I believe we may find more about this at HP's Event in a bit.

8.) I have not personally held a Pre3 but I have (literally) watched every Pre3 hands on on YouTube. My favorite one really lets you see and fell the sturdiness of the slider mechanism in the Pre3. Go to 0:30 in this video and watch it a few times and hear how industrial the slider is. All the reviews have praised the build quality and how they really did it beautifully this time. The only problem with the build quality of this phone you will have is getting over the excitement of how awesome it is.

9.) I having own and hacked away at both WebOS and Android can help you here .he experience with WebOS homebrew is a whole new world than what Android calls rooting. Palm has secretly supported us in our homebrew passion ever since the original Pre came out. The fact is that WebOS is actually more 'open' than Android is, as in, all you have to do to 'root' the phone (as in the Android definition) is type 'webos20090606' into Just Type (type that in while you are in Card View or the 'home screen') and the developer app will pop up. Open it and flip the switch in the app and let it reboot. Palm built it into the OS. Then it is just a matter of downloading/running WebOSQuickInstall on your computer and installing PreWare (which is the homebrew app, patch, and themes store). It so easy a caveman could do it... literally. Now once you do that there are 3 different things that you can do; install apps, install patches, and install themes. You know what apps and themes are but patches are little edits to the OS. Like adding the battery % next the the icon in the corner or bigger ones like controlling the processor speed when the phone is on viruses when off to save battery. If you want to know more about how you install PreWare go to WebOS Internals: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

10.) There are a bunch of apps out there that will let you do this. However, Google changed their APIs recently and that may have affected how the apps work. You can get in touch with Connor Lacom (maker of Voogle) and get your answers there.

11.) Yes it is as awesome as it sounds! Wireless charging takes away the hectic problem of charging your phone every night because you can simply set it down on your desk or were ever you want the touchstone to be and it will simply charge were you would put the phone anyway. It is definitely worth $50 for a touchstone for this awesome feature. The only flaw of this is that sometimes it doesn't aline correctly with the magnets and the charging coils when you set it down. However, you naturally get better as time goes on at this AND when you set it down and it charges it will make a ferm ba-bing sound so you won't ever leave it there not charging. Also, the new TouchStone V2 that are releasing with the new devices may address this issue.

12.) As I have stated above, Music syncing isn't the best out there but it works just as well, if not easier, as Android. You can do a simple drag and drop the music over to the memory and it will automatically find it were ever it is. Or you can use a 3rd party software like DoubleTwist to sync like iTunes does. HP will be announcing a new feature that is called Music Synergy probably at the HP Event in a bit, so stay tuned for more news on this subject.

13.) I imagine that it would be good but no one knows for sure how good the Speaker will be yet.

14.) WebOS can get sluggish when there are multiple APK apps (like Need For Speed and Angry Birds) open at the same time. The Pre3 has a 1.4 Ghz processor and a half a gig of RAM. Translated, that means the fastest WebOS phone to date and will be able to handle the OS with grace. Opening apps will be much faster as well as running multiple apps at the same time!

15.) You got them all! Thx for the post!

#Biggest post EVER
    Thx for reading!
    Last edited by Rennat; 05/29/2011 at 03:51 PM.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by iowahawk19 View Post
    templetonryecy

Welcome. You'll love webOS!

PS- Templeton Rye = + Cy = -

Thanks - my hope is that on Sept. 10th I'm sending some celebratory messages about a Cyclone victory to my friends using my Pre 3

Thanks again to all contributors in this thread! The community here looks to be great.
    To add on the bluetooth part:

webOS works flawlessly with factory-built-in bluetooth preparation for BMW cars, as webOS supports the pbap-bluetooth-procotoll.

Contacts are transfered to the BMW within seconds after connecting, signal-strength is shown in the navigation display and incoming/outgoing calls work just as they should do.

From 3/2010 production on, your BMW can be pre-fitted with the "Combox" feature and is then able to stream music directly from your phone via a2dp, including basic controls, artist, album and song info (ad2p 1.3). From 3/2011 on, there is as well the searching/browsing function of the phone MP3 library (a2dp 1.4).

This is similar in Volkswagen Group cars (VW, Audi, ...).
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    To add on the bluetooth part:

webOS works flawlessly with factory-built-in bluetooth preparation for BMW cars, as webOS supports the pbap-bluetooth-procotoll.

Contacts are transfered to the BMW within seconds after connecting, signal-strength is shown in the navigation display and incoming/outgoing calls work just as they should do.

From 3/2010 production on, your BMW can be pre-fitted with the "Combox" feature and is then able to stream music directly from your phone via a2dp, including basic controls, artist, album and song info (ad2p 1.3). From 3/2011 on, there is as well the searching/browsing function of the phone MP3 library (a2dp 1.4).

This is similar in Volkswagen Group cars (VW, Audi, ...).
    Forgot to mention that on my BT post!

Also, no problem transferring phone books to our home phone for both phones. Transfers over well enough that the audible caller ID announces the name of the contact, now that I think of it I should change my brothers name to ***** hat just to see if the house phone says it. Love the BT on this phone the more I play with it, thinking we should have some great BT options once Touch to Share is in full force.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I just wanted to mention to the OP that if you enjoy the great integration of google services on android, you might encounter some issues when switching to webos. Its been mentioned in this thread in a glossed over fashion but google maps for webos is horrible and lacks most of the functions that you find on Android and even iOS. It takes a while to load because it is not a native app. It really is about as basic as can be which means its not very powerful but it is usable. I'd also say the webos email sorely needs to be updated. The good news is I think HP is aware of this and changes are coming. We've seen Bing replace Google on the Touchpad and it looks very nice. The email app on the touchpad has also been updated and looks great. When these changes are coming to the phones, I couldn't tell you but I'm pretty sure they will.

With all that said, I highly recommend you spend some time with webOS. You seem like someone who has had no issues going from phone to phone so the Pre 3 would be a great experiment for you. Check it out for a couple of weeks and return it if it is not up to your liking. Its an amazing UI thats a pleasure to use but its not perfect by any means which can also be said of the other mobile OS's out there.
    One thing I didn't notice being mentioned about the wireless charging (aka Touchstone) is that, assuming you have a 1 Amp capable car charger (the Palm and Verizon car chargers both fit this bill), you can mount a Touchstone in your car allowing you to just plunk it down when you get in, with no effort at all. It will also be in speakerphone mode automatically while on the Touchstone, allowing you to take calls hands free, assuming your car isn't too noisy. Pick the phone up off the Touchstone and it goes to headset mode. Too me...it's fricken' awesome!

Overall, I think most people here hit it pretty much on the head. Really, webOS is an experience unlike any other mobile OS. It just flows and works the way you want. Now that it has the hardware to back it up, it will be that much better. The hardware was really the only negative for the webOS experience. The Pixi's were a little underpowered, and the slider design on the Pre isn't the best. The new slider mechanism on the Veer is akin to a drawer design shrunken down. It's rock solid and will likely stay that way with a smooth sliding motion. The Pre 3 will undoubtedly use the same style of slider mechanism. Much better than the thin L bracket design of the Pre which could loosen up by slightly bending.

Hopefully you have gotten all the info you need.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    First off you need to check this other thread out. IT's called general complaitns/farewell. Everytime a long time user wants to say good bye to the palm pre or has a negative story, this forum removes their posts where people like you can see it and puts it in a dark hole somewhere to be forgotten/looked over. It happened to me, a pre user for 2 years.

I am leaving th epre because 2 years after launch because there is no medical program, no good/functioning word/pdf/ppt programs that i can use, and a dearth of other applications a working person needs in a phone. I am going to android funny enough.

I will provide answers to your questions invidually as well, without sounding too bitter about things.

1) you're not nuts but it's not a great idea either. If you just use your phone for games/messaging, and not for documents or work, then you will be happy. But if you buy the phone thinking you will get timely and full support from hp/palm, then you are sorely mistaken.

2) bluetooth is as good as any phone out there.

3) nav on my pre- sprint is good, no complaints now. I had soooo many problems with pre's 1-4. Pre 5 seems to be good with nav.

4) This is the best site for palm information hands down. I love dieter and derek's articles. see the thread i linked above. here is the direct link. http://forums.precentral.net/palm-ge...ll-thread.html

5) I get it all the time, but i think it was fixed with palm pre +

6)The quality and quantity of apps is poor on web os. The precious few that we have are not as widely supported *** other OS's. facebook is an example of such, still broken after 1-2 months. Also, no epocrates for medical people.

7) Support from hp/palm is lacking. Also, developers are not as enthused with plam as they are andriod. But what few developers are here are loyal as they come.

8) No idea

9) Its so easy a baby could do it. even I did it. I also did one of those pre- to pre+ on sprint, and im not a tech guy.

10) no clue

11) Dont get me started on my experience with touchstone. Way too buggy and sensitive. I went through 3-4 touchstones and each one did this thing were it beeped every minute because it would lose contact with magnets then reconnect. IT's so annoying theyre in my closet somewhere. There was a huge fiasco about them having this problem.

12) Music is great on the palm. Easy to just drag files onto the hard drive. I give the expreince of music 5 stars.

13) i dont know

14) webos gets vey very sluggish for me. I have a pre-, i wait 5-10 seconds for messenger to load, sometimes more for eail to load. I hear the pre2 and pre3 fixes this.

15) make sure you do this for the right reasons and understand what youre giving up when you make the switch. However, if you think everyone in palm pre world is happy because of what you see in the forums, you are mistaken. It's just all the negative posts get moved to the whiner/complainers thread, even tho we were all loyal to palm but have been burned many a many times. IF after reading all that, you can still stomach the purchase, then I think you should switch. But i'm going the opposite way.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-ge...ll-thread.html

Quote Originally Posted by templetonryecy View Post
    Hello,

I am considering the switch from Android to WebOS. I currently have the Droid Incredible 2 on Verizon. As some background, I had a Blackberry Curve for 1 year, switched to the Motorola Droid 1 for 6 months, switched to the Droid Incredible 1 for 1 year, tried the iPhone 4 for 1 week, tried the HTC Thunderbolt for 1 week, and currently at the Droid Incredible 2. As an FYI, I have several lines and a job that allows me some phone flexibility so changing phones is not an issue for me. In fact, it's become an obsession, a quest to find the right hardware/software fit for me. Blackberry OS is just old, and they aren't doing a great job of keeping up, although I still love their messaging. iOS just sucks. Too boring and functionally inept for me. Android has so many positives but the platform is so fragmented it's ridiculous. I love the functionality but it's only because of my inner nerd that I'm able to use these devices so efficiently. I still struggle 'teaching' others how to user Android and all its features. It's getting better, and Gingerbread will be a step in the right direction, and hell maybe Ice Cream will bring it altogether, but I'm ready to try something else.

I have been intrigued by WebOS from day 1. I've read and watched hundreds of reviews and demonstrations of the various iterations of the operating system and hardware, including everything I can find on the Palm Pre 3. Bottom line, it looks like it just might be the WebOS phone I give a try. The OS, at least the idea behind it, is incredible. Nothing matches it, from what I can tell. I've never actually owned a device...

So, I have some questions for all you WebOS users, whether you are a diehard fan, a hater, or someone who objectively analyzes the positives and negatives of their Pre device. Any insight/information/clarification would be greatly appreciated!! These questions are in no particular order of importance, but I've number them in case posters easily wanted to refer back to one of the questions...

1) Am I nuts or is this a great idea to get the Palm Pre3 and make the switch from Android?

2) How is the bluetooth connectivity on Palm devices, such as the Palm Pre2? Will it sync up right away to my hands-free calling on my vehicle without any trouble?

3) How is navigation on the Pre 2 or other Palm devices? Is it pre-loaded? If not, can I buy a navigation app? Do they work even remotely as slick as Google Maps navigation on Android? How is GPS functionality in general?

4) I have not been on Palm forums for long. I don't know where the best place to go for help and information is. Can someone point me to the best place to see what issues people are having with their WebOS devices?

5)I have heard of WebOS users getting a TMC error. Is this common? Does this drive you nuts? Does anyone think it will be fixed on the Pre 3?

6) The number of apps for WebOS is not important to me. I use a very small subset of apps. How is the quality of apps? And does WebOS usually have the 'more well known' apps that the other OS's have?

7) What are the big issues with WebOS? Is there anything you hate about it? Is there anything this phone sucks at? Are there changes coming with the OS on the Pre 3 that will correct these problems?

8) Anyone have a chance to play around with the Pre 3? How is the hardware? Is it a major improvement over the Pre 2? Is the sliding mechanism prone to get wobbly or lose in the future? Is thie Pre 3's hardware finally up to snuff? And how is the camera?

9) I normally don't like to root to get the extra features I want. I have rooted Android devices in the past and just wish the OS would give me what I want out of the box, and if it doesn't, I want it to be pretty painless to make it how I want. Is there a 'rooting' process for WebOS or a way to make customization to the phone that Palm doesn't support but users love?

10) Can I use Google Voice as my standard Voicemail-box on WebOS? Is there an app for that? I think I've heard of Voogle but haven't had time to research it...

11) Is wireless charging as awesome as it sounds!? Does it have any flaws?

12) Have is playing music on these devices? Is it easy to put my MP3's on this thing and use it as a fully featured MP3 player?

13) Anyone know how the speaker will be on the Pre 3? I use my phones a lot for speakerphone calling and using the speaker for playing music.

14) Does WebOS get sluggish? And if so, do you think the Pre 3 finally has the stones to run it the way it is supposed to be run?

15) What other questions to I need to be asking? What am I missing?

I might have more. I am in an extreme hurry right now but I'll be checking this thread as often as possible. Looking forward to hearing from you all! My gut tells me I will absolutely love WebOS, because it looks friggin sweet, and buttery smooth on the Pre 3...

Thanks again
    Quote Originally Posted by joejoe1 View Post
    It happened to me, a pre user for 2 years.
    Really you have been using a Pre for longer than they have been out??? And then you have had your posts removed, so I am guessing this was many years ago....

Ohh and then I am guessing I imagined all the complaint and problem threads I have read, this must be true. Thankfully you have come to save us all..... DB
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Really you have been using a Pre for longer than they have been out??? And then you have had your posts removed, so I am guessing this was many years ago....

Ohh and then I am guessing I imagined all the complaint and problem threads I have read, this must be true. Thankfully you have come to save us all..... DB
    Fine not 2 years then 23 months. I am sooo sorry. loooool

So I post my honest opinion and now i get flamed out this easily. I didn't say anything wrong. I say the positives and negatives as i see them. and I dont know what you called me but I think name calling is childish.

And Yes posts are removed and transferred to the general complaints thread which is in the general palm chat thread. sorry to burst your bubble.

By mods doing this, yes they clean up the forum, but they also give new and old users a larger number of positive voices for palm/hp than are actually out there. and just because palm still is the best phone for you, doesnt mean it is for me, and not necessarily for the op. let him make his own decision with the opinions of guys like you and opinions of guys like me.
    I wasn't saying to not let him make his own decision.... if you think I was, please read my response to his questions. I was 100% honest in my knowledge and didn't answer things I couldn't.... doesn't make you less of a DB and you can call me childish all you want (that is still name calling). The point it, you wanted to ***** about the forums, when there is many actual negative issues you could have lead him to. I mean I know you are the end all be all expert of the forums, but I could point the OP to 25-100 negative threads. As you will see if you read my original response to the OP, non of them pertain to the device(s) he is asking about.

/
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I wasn't saying to not let him make his own decision.... if you think I was, please read my response to his questions. I was 100% honest in my knowledge and didn't answer things I couldn't.... doesn't make you less of a DB and you can call me childish all you want (that is still name calling). The point it, you wanted to ***** about the forums, when there is many actual negative issues you could have lead him to. I mean I know you are the end all be all expert of the forums, but I could point the OP to 25-100 negative threads. As you will see if you read my original response to the OP, non of them pertain to the device(s) he is asking about.

/
    No need to attack me. I just gave him my pros and cons as i see them.

I have no problems with the forum. But he asked for all types of opinions good/bad of the phone, he needs to know where to find the bad opinions too.
    I just finished my post with questions 7-15. Here they are and if you missed my post go ahead and follow the link to the original one.
    WOW!!!!! Just saw how big the original post is! I now congratulate you if you actually will read all that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    7.) WebOS is a very awesome OS. There isn't much to grip about the OS and of the thing that do bother me, they are fixing most of them in the wave of devices. First, WebOS is a true multitasking OS and because of this it tends to slow down when it is running a bunch of apps at once. The Pre3 fixes this pretty well by having a better processor, more RAM, and the speed improvements done to the OS such as GPU acceleration. The Music syncing system isn't as clean as Apple has with their whole ecosystem but it does suite most people. Right now you can use a 3rd party sync'er like DoubleTwist or just drag and drop. HP has something big in the works for media syncing that Ruby called Music Synergy. I believe we may find more about this at HP's Event in a bit.

8.) I have not personally held a Pre3 but I have (literally) watched every Pre3 hands on on YouTube. My favorite one really lets you see and fell the sturdiness of the slider mechanism in the Pre3. Go to 0:30 in this video and watch it a few times and hear how industrial the slider is. All the reviews have praised the build quality and how they really did it beautifully this time. The only problem with the build quality of this phone you will have is getting over the excitement of how awesome it is.

9.) I having own and hacked away at both WebOS and Android can help you here .he experience with WebOS homebrew is a whole new world than what Android calls rooting. Palm has secretly supported us in our homebrew passion ever since the original Pre came out. The fact is that WebOS is actually more 'open' than Android is, as in, all you have to do to 'root' the phone (as in the Android definition) is type 'webos20090606' into Just Type (type that in while you are in Card View or the 'home screen') and the developer app will pop up. Open it and flip the switch in the app and let it reboot. Palm built it into the OS. Then it is just a matter of downloading/running WebOSQuickInstall on your computer and installing PreWare (which is the homebrew app, patch, and themes store). It so easy a caveman could do it... literally. Now once you do that there are 3 different things that you can do; install apps, install patches, and install themes. You know what apps and themes are but patches are little edits to the OS. Like adding the battery % next the the icon in the corner or bigger ones like controlling the processor speed when the phone is on viruses when off to save battery. If you want to know more about how you install PreWare go to WebOS Internals: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

10.) There are a bunch of apps out there that will let you do this. However, Google changed their APIs recently and that may have affected how the apps work. You can get in touch with Connor Lacom (maker of Voogle) and get your answers there.

11.) Yes it is as awesome as it sounds! Wireless charging takes away the hectic problem of charging your phone every night because you can simply set it down on your desk or were ever you want the touchstone to be and it will simply charge were you would put the phone anyway. It is definitely worth $50 for a touchstone for this awesome feature. The only flaw of this is that sometimes it doesn't aline correctly with the magnets and the charging coils when you set it down. However, you naturally get better as time goes on at this AND when you set it down and it charges it will make a ferm ba-bing sound so you won't ever leave it there not charging. Also, the new TouchStone V2 that are releasing with the new devices may address this issue.

12.) As I have stated above, Music syncing isn't the best out there but it works just as well, if not easier, as Android. You can do a simple drag and drop the music over to the memory and it will automatically find it were ever it is. Or you can use a 3rd party software like DoubleTwist to sync like iTunes does. HP will be announcing a new feature that is called Music Synergy probably at the HP Event in a bit, so stay tuned for more news on this subject.

13.) I imagine that it would be good but no one knows for sure how good the Speaker will be yet.

14.) WebOS can get sluggish when there are multiple APK apps (like Need For Speed and Angry Birds) open at the same time. The Pre3 has a 1.4 Ghz processor and a half a gig of RAM. Translated, that means the fastest WebOS phone to date and will be able to handle the OS with grace. Opening apps will be much faster as well as running multiple apps at the same time!

15.) You got them all! Thx for the post!
    Last edited by Rennat; 05/29/2011 at 03:54 PM.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Even though i believe the others have done a great job of answering your questions. i am currently bored, have nothing better to do, and would love to share my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by templetonryecy View Post

1) Am I nuts or is this a great idea to get the Palm Pre3 and make the switch from Android?
    It is a great idea. WebOS is superior imo to all other OS's and even with all the other beautiful hardware coming out, i have not been able to bring myslef to switch to any other OS, even with my outdated 2 year old phone.

2) How is the bluetooth connectivity on Palm devices, such as the Palm Pre2? Will it sync up right away to my hands-free calling on my vehicle without any trouble?
    Works beautifully. I have bluetooth in my car and my phone syncs right up and transmits music and navigation instructions beautifully. Also, if the phone has music playing and nav going, when the nav requests to tell an instruction, it lowers the music volume slightly to tell you the direction, then raises when it finishes. very elegant.

3) How is navigation on the Pre 2 or other Palm devices? Is it pre-loaded? If not, can I buy a navigation app? Do they work even remotely as slick as Google Maps navigation on Android? How is GPS functionality in general?
    I have a palm pre - on sprint and it works beautifully. just used it today and i love it.

4) I have not been on Palm forums for long. I don't know where the best place to go for help and information is. Can someone point me to the best place to see what issues people are having with their WebOS devices?
    This is the best place! Precentral is a wonderful community and many are welcome to answer questions and offer help. Our homebrew community is one of the best for any OS imho.

5)I have heard of WebOS users getting a TMC error. Is this common? Does this drive you nuts? Does anyone think it will be fixed on the Pre 3?
    I may have gotten it a few times a long time ago (1 year +) but ever since the new kernals came out i have never had it. My Pre is overclocked to 1.2 ghz and i have increased the default allocated memory.

6) The number of apps for WebOS is not important to me. I use a very small subset of apps. How is the quality of apps? And does WebOS usually have the 'more well known' apps that the other OS's have?
    Quality is very good. Has most other well known apps that people want and use. I believe that in another thread someone compared what apps we have with the top ten free and paid apps on IOS and we have all but 1 or 2. i think we are missing shazam.

7) What are the big issues with WebOS? Is there anything you hate about it? Is there anything this phone sucks at? Are there changes coming with the OS on the Pre 3 that will correct these problems?
    Big issues really are hardware choices (currently changing). I hate nothing about the os, besides the lack of applications like shazam.

8) Anyone have a chance to play around with the Pre 3? How is the hardware? Is it a major improvement over the Pre 2? Is the sliding mechanism prone to get wobbly or lose in the future? Is thie Pre 3's hardware finally up to snuff? And how is the camera?
    Nope, i hear its wonderful though.

9) I normally don't like to root to get the extra features I want. I have rooted Android devices in the past and just wish the OS would give me what I want out of the box, and if it doesn't, I want it to be pretty painless to make it how I want. Is there a 'rooting' process for WebOS or a way to make customization to the phone that Palm doesn't support but users love?
    Our homebrew community is the best i have ever seen. A group called webOS Internals does incredible work for the community and has made it so simple to modify your phone to your liking, also thanks to palm for keeping the OS open.

10) Can I use Google Voice as my standard Voicemail-box on WebOS? Is there an app for that? I think I've heard of Voogle but haven't had time to research it...
    Havent used it myself but heard of Voogle?

11) Is wireless charging as awesome as it sounds!? Does it have any flaws?
    Only thing is it doesnt like heat very much. I had my touchstone in my car, in direct sunlight before and it stopped working. Besides that, nothing. Once it cooled down it worked fine.

12) Have is playing music on these devices? Is it easy to put my MP3's on this thing and use it as a fully featured MP3 player?
    Yes! i love my device for my music apps. I am a huge music person and i use an app called Music Remix for the majority of my music listening.

I have also been helping in the testing of an application called Audiophile which is an opensource app that is well on its way to being a wonderful app. Audiophile

13) Anyone know how the speaker will be on the Pre 3? I use my phones a lot for speakerphone calling and using the speaker for playing music.
    No idea. but i heard that the Veer is improved audio quality wise over the origional pre's and pre 2. May have to do something with HP and their beats tech.

14) Does WebOS get sluggish? And if so, do you think the Pre 3 finally has the stones to run it the way it is supposed to be run?
    Well... I have my pre running 2.1 It technically is not supposed to but it is able to. On occasion, it gets really sluggish but once i restart it or use an app to clear my usage called Jstop, it works better. I believe this just has to do with the original pre hardware not able to handle 2.1 smoothly.

15) What other questions to I need to be asking? What am I missing?
    I think if you give webOS a try you will never want to go back. From what you described, i think webOS is the perfect OS for you!
    Now now joe and VW, play nice.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    im in the same boat, i was one of the first to get the Motorola Milestone (Droid in USA). I have had it ever since. Its a good phone and have had no reason to upgrade it to another android device. Personally i dont think there is anything worth upgrading in the android market. They all seem to have this obsession with 4.3inch screens with no keyboard

I have looked at the Dell Venue Pro with windows phone 7 on and it seems like the perfect phone. 4.1inch screen, full QWERTY portrait keyboard but it had windows phone 7. The UI is more beautiful and fluid than android (although im a massive geek and love android) but it lacked the functionality i needed and was too centered around bing.

Then i found the Pre 3, I FELL IN LOVE!!!
    Seriously i have never been so excited for a phone release, i have been looking at precentral everyday for news. Finally decided to join (:
    The multitasking cards just seems perfect for a phone, my milestone is getting a bit slow with the custom gingerbread rom. I am fed up with fiddling about with custom roms and testing them, things breaking and not working.

webOS just looks fluid and sexy, completely open with preware, combined email and messaging services, just type, cards feature. The number of apps dont bother me massively because i will probably just keep this milestone and use it as a media player etc.
    I have been playing with the webOS SDK emulator but that does not justify the experience, i am thinking about developing for webOS but i like the C language and there does not seem to much information on the PDK.

Sorry for the random sum up of my thoughts haha
    Quote Originally Posted by monotok View Post
    im in the same boat, i was one of the first to get the Motorola Milestone (Droid in USA). I have had it ever since. Its a good phone and have had no reason to upgrade it to another android device. Personally i dont think there is anything worth upgrading in the android market. They all seem to have this obsession with 4.3inch screens with no keyboard

I have looked at the Dell Venue Pro with windows phone 7 on and it seems like the perfect phone. 4.1inch screen, full QWERTY portrait keyboard but it had windows phone 7. The UI is more beautiful and fluid than android (although im a massive geek and love android) but it lacked the functionality i needed and was too centered around bing.

Then i found the Pre 3, I FELL IN LOVE!!!
    Seriously i have never been so excited for a phone release, i have been looking at precentral everyday for news. Finally decided to join (:
    The multitasking cards just seems perfect for a phone, my milestone is getting a bit slow with the custom gingerbread rom. I am fed up with fiddling about with custom roms and testing them, things breaking and not working.

webOS just looks fluid and sexy, completely open with preware, combined email and messaging services, just type, cards feature. The number of apps dont bother me massively because i will probably just keep this milestone and use it as a media player etc.
    I have been playing with the webOS SDK emulator but that does not justify the experience, i am thinking about developing for webOS but i like the C language and there does not seem to much information on the PDK.

Sorry for the random sum up of my thoughts haha
    thanks for your thoughts and welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    thanks for your thoughts and welcome!
    x2 .... and if you haven't already, get on the dev forums @ palm... good info there
    I dumped my Pre Dec of '09 for Android (HTC Hero) and have not looked back. But decided to pay a visit to see if anything exciting has come of Webos. It was a real pain back then to modify anything on webos, like change the text color on messages or background. I'm sure it's much easier now. It's always been very easy to change anything and everything on Android. Don't even have to root to do it.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveChiller View Post
    I dumped my Pre Dec of '09 for Android (HTC Hero) and have not looked back. But decided to pay a visit to see if anything exciting has come of Webos. It was a real pain back then to modify anything on webos, like change the text color on messages or background. I'm sure it's much easier now. It's always been very easy to change anything and everything on Android. Don't even have to root to do it.
    I guess if i had the first Pre i might be jumping on the Android bandwagon (The bad hardware etc from what i have read). My milestone is great build quality and from what i have read so is the Pre3. This makes me happy!

To change the text colour etc on messages doesn't that require a custom rom with it built in or a different message application like Chomp? Thats what is a bit annoying on Android for me, the fact that everything is in separate apps that do not feel part of the OS.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast