Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    i think hp is having serious issues getting any love or carrier support. wouldn't surprise me if they just sell the phone unlocked for gsm carriers instead. i do know the pre3 is no where to be found on sprints upcoming lineup. alot of power houses coming though.

sad but true guys!
    you might be over the top on that one. I think Rubinstein mentioned the devices were in carrier testing during his Engadget show interview several months ago. I don't remember exactly which devices he was talking about but just because we haven't heard anything about carriers its premature in my opinion to assume they're not getting any love / interest from carriers. If the Pre 3 only came out unlocked for GSM it would automatically fail like the Pre 2 just on scale alone.
    Well, if the past is any indication, expect some sort of leak or announcement around wwdc, they like to announce stuff around apple events.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Last I checked, there was a June 6th event scheduled, and it's nearly certain we'll know at least a little more after the event. Carriers are generally announced at major events, not just randomly where the announcement won't generate any marketing impact. HP has been consistent since February 9th at saying the Pre3 would be a "Summer" device (which is open to a very wide date interpretation), and it's extremely uncommon to see carriers for devices announced more than 2-4 weeks in advance of planned device availability.

Verizon and AT&T are definitely getting the Pre3. There is no doubt about that. T-Mobile is definitely not, and Sprint is questionable at this point. HP doesn't care if existing Pre users switch to Android on Sprint so a Sprint contract is dependent totally on whether or not HP can work out a deal that makes sense.

Speculation on Sprint is absolutely rampant, and there are arguments for and against the Pre3 on Sprint. From Sprint executives going out of their way (people that really do know) to express how good Palm-HP's relationship is with the Now Network to sales floor reps and customer service agents (people who don't know) saying the Pre3 is/isn't coming.

The bottom line is that nobody in the general public is likely to know prior to the HP Discover Event starting on June 6th, and nobody may know during or immediately after that event, either. I don't believe the Discover event is appropriate for the launch of mobile devices, but based on the actions of HP so far, it seems like they might not truly understand the mobile market yet. It wouldn't really surprise me if HP narrowed the release window of the Pre3 to a specific month during the event rather than giving a hard date with carrier information, but all we can really do is sit and wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    If HP wants to generate some marketing impact with a smartphone carrier announcement they should have picked a different date. June 6 is the WWDC keynote where at least iOS 5 features will be announced if not new iPhone hardware. Where does HP expect the major technology press to be on that day?
    Tell the complete story. First, we don't know if HP will make any announcements at HP Discovery. Second, HP Discovery runs from June 6-10 so the announcement if they do make one could come on any day.

Apple's big announcements will occur on the first day of WWDC as they always do & HP knows that. So I doubt you'll see HP make an announcement on the 6th or at Discovery period. Discovery isn't the place for such announcements. Just wishful thinking on alot P/C folks part.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Kerris tweeted a short time ago (1 week, 2 weeks?) that Pre3 has June release date and will be after TouchPad.
    http://www.precentral.net/kerris-hp-...hpad-and-pre-3

Still think we might see something interesting when Apotheker speaks at Allthingsd next Tues or Wed
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-palm...-june-2-a.html
    if the rumored iphone 5 is coming to sprint i have a feeling most will move to that anyways. on top of sprint having the best line up of android phones out there. i think it will be hard for HP to convince them to carry the pre3.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    ah some common sense.

Carriers control the ship. These "in the coming months" nonsense jokes are getting old. HP can only do so much. They can't force a carrier to launch on a specific date.
    I agree on the "in the coming months" nonsense. Although they aren't getting old...they've been old for some time. Quite lame actually
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    It's not just a matter for carriers testing them but how they fit them to their launch tables. They are now gonna launch all the planned phones in a single month for that will hose their quarter. Another thing I'm annoyed with android is they are FLOODING the carriers with their phones which oftenly pushes singular phones onto the side burner for a very long time.
    yup. a carrier can only release so many devices in a certain time frame. i don't think hp is having a difficult time getting carrier support, what i think is a difficult time is finding the right window to launch without a billion other android devices launching at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by mdelacoma View Post
    I agree on the "in the coming months" nonsense. Although they aren't getting old...they've been old for some time. Quite lame actually
    you make one good valid point there. everyone is too focussed on putting too much pressure on HP, and then they fail to realize the other side. HP can't call out any of the carriers.. this is a world where you have to protect your relationship so you need to be politically correct.

i understand that everyone is frustrated. we're all looking forward to new devices. but at the end of the day hp can only do so much and honestly, the longer all the pieces fall into place the better webos will be in the long run. be thankful it's still around
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    yup. a carrier can only release so many devices in a certain time frame. i don't think hp is having a difficult time getting carrier support, what i think is a difficult time is finding the right window to launch without a billion other android devices launching at the same time.

you make one good valid point there. everyone is too focussed on putting too much pressure on HP, and then they fail to realize the other side. HP can't call out any of the carriers.. this is a world where you have to protect your relationship so you need to be politically correct.

i understand that everyone is frustrated. we're all looking forward to new devices. but at the end of the day hp can only do so much and honestly, the longer all the pieces fall into place the better webos will be in the long run. be thankful it's still around
    Wow. You sound to sensible and well reasoned to be a Precentral poster. Good points. And I agree. I don't think that HP is having any problem lining up carriers. Slotting release dates for phones is probably akin to planes having to queue for landing at an airport. It's a delicate balance and requires constant communication between the carrier and phone manufacturer.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    With the App Catalog layout where devices are locked to the country of activation its also hard to expand to other countries. They either need to change the access parameters or activate a catalog for each country.

Take Sweden for example, they wont launch a product here until the App Catalog is sorted. This will take months to sort, perhaps as long as 2012.

Its likely the same for other still not supported countries so getting them out to carriers might not be that easy until they got a working eco system with App Catalog and support. By that time the Pre 3 is getting "old".
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Last I checked, there was a June 6th event scheduled, and it's nearly certain we'll know at least a little more after the event. Carriers are generally announced at major events, not just randomly where the announcement won't generate any marketing impact. HP has been consistent since February 9th at saying the Pre3 would be a "Summer" device (which is open to a very wide date interpretation), and it's extremely uncommon to see carriers for devices announced more than 2-4 weeks in advance of planned device availability.

Verizon and AT&T are definitely getting the Pre3. There is no doubt about that. T-Mobile is definitely not, and Sprint is questionable at this point. HP doesn't care if existing Pre users switch to Android on Sprint so a Sprint contract is dependent totally on whether or not HP can work out a deal that makes sense.

Speculation on Sprint is absolutely rampant, and there are arguments for and against the Pre3 on Sprint. From Sprint executives going out of their way (people that really do know) to express how good Palm-HP's relationship is with the Now Network to sales floor reps and customer service agents (people who don't know) saying the Pre3 is/isn't coming.

The bottom line is that nobody in the general public is likely to know prior to the HP Discover Event starting on June 6th, and nobody may know during or immediately after that event, either. I don't believe the Discover event is appropriate for the launch of mobile devices, but based on the actions of HP so far, it seems like they might not truly understand the mobile market yet. It wouldn't really surprise me if HP narrowed the release window of the Pre3 to a specific month during the event rather than giving a hard date with carrier information, but all we can really do is sit and wait.
    We don't know that HP won't be showing current Pre- or Pre+ users any love. HP may do what Apple has done and negotiate an early upgrade for existing WebOS device owners. So, if you bought your Pre- or Pre+ prior to June of 2010, upgrades may be bumped up with the normal price of $200 with 2-year contract, and if you were already off your contract, there might be an even less expensive price(or not, it depends on carrier).

If they offer to let me get a Pre 3 in June at upgrade price without any penalty, that would be "making good" in my opinion.
    You guys over the pond are lucky , at least you know for certain that some networks will take the pre 3. Heck I am still using my original pre and the pre 2 wasn't supported by ANY networks in the uk so I am kinda convinced the same will be the case for the pre 3.

Regardless I will buy it as we all know it's the best os by a mile but remember guys others are worse off than you lol
    to me I dont think they will have a problem at all getting carriers to pick up the Pre 3. Honestly people AT&T picked up the Veer fast, and is advertising like crazy where im at (in south florida). Now if AT&T would pick up the Veer with no problem, and in my opinion a phone like that shouldnt have been launched first, then Im sure the 3rd largest carrier along with Verizon would have no problem picking up a device like the Pre 3 that has stronger raw specs then most phones out and coming out, and that is now backed by the biggest PC manufactuer in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    A Pink Floyd song is running through my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    We don't know that HP won't be showing current Pre- or Pre+ users any love. HP may do what Apple has done and negotiate an early upgrade for existing WebOS device owners. So, if you bought your Pre- or Pre+ prior to June of 2010, upgrades may be bumped up with the normal price of $200 with 2-year contract, and if you were already off your contract, there might be an even less expensive price(or not, it depends on carrier).

If they offer to let me get a Pre 3 in June at upgrade price without any penalty, that would be "making good" in my opinion.
    I'm at a complete and utter loss when it comes to figuring out how your comment was at all related to my post, but thanks?
    whoa, does this ex-engadget guy start to sound like a Pre3 could fit his requirements?:

Why do I keep coming back to the Nexus S? | This is my next...
    lmao pre 3 specs look crappy now. the same thing that happened to pre original is happening to pre3.
    Well, on plain paper, the Veer's specs are even worse. Still, the reviews mostly agreed that it is a powerful and speedy little fella. And as far as I can see from what I read here in the forums, those who already own a Veer confirm that. IMHO, sheer specs are only one side of the medal. I would be perfectly happy with the Pre3's specs if they grant me a fast WebOS experience without hickups. In this case, I don't care if the CPU is set at 1.4; 1.8 or whatever GHZ....
    By the time the Pre 3 is released it will be middle of the pack spec wise at best. HP seems to be making the same errors as Palm despite their deeper pockets.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I think the mistake around here was to assume that just because HP has deeper pockets that they would automatically be reaching into them to throw money around for advertising, hardware development, software development, discounts, etc.
    I think they have actually thrown a lot of resources at webos. Most of results of that haven't even been seen. We're seeing the end of the road of Palm's influence(Veer, Pre3, and Touchpad) and just the very beginning of HP's vision(3.0). Design has been moved to the people who make the Envy. Engineers have been moved to work on cloud development and technology. We haven't seen much of advertsing but that is obviously gonna change real soon with the release of the touchpad and it's celebrity endorsements. It hasn't even been a year since they acquired Palm but I don't think we can be so naive to think what's coming to the market this summer is the completion of HP's vision.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast