Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Will Pre3 Keyboard layout be too Big?

What I mean is; will they be too far spaced apart to use comfortably?
    Just call me Berd.
    I don't think that is possible with a portrait keyboard on a device the size of the Pre3.
    No, after running into someone with a Pre 3 a few days ago I can say that It's not even close to being that big.

We're dealing with personal tastes but I specifically did have my Pre 2 there for a better comparison and went back and forth on the keyboards to feel the difference. It wasn't dramatic, it just felt better.
    It's only about 5 mm wider. I'm more worried that the keys will still be too close together.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    from my experience, landscape keyboards, both physical and hardware are much more cumbersome to use than a portrait keyboard... especially in one handed use.

i find that majority of the landscape keyboards dont offer enough feel to accurately pick up which key is being pressed (besides the nubs on f and j), most keys are typically flat. and having your thumbs travel from j to p or r to z really cramps my hands and thumbs. yes, some landscape keyboard offer domed keys, but it just doesnt feel right to me.
    Global Posts
    824 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post

Absolutley not! I was with it for a pretty long time to check its usability at Think Beyond.

That KB is almost perfect in my eyes.

It has great travel & IMO, it's best KB Palm has ever produced. Feels better than even a BB KB.

Sooooo Pretty:

Pre 3 by MrKal_El, on Flickr
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    I could type way faster on my (landscape) LG Voyager then on my Pre. I loved that keyboard.

In other news...Engadget said the Pre3 keyboard was "really fantastic" at the Think Beyond event way back when.
    The keyboard with be legendary on the Pre3. What i want to know is why everyone holds the blackberry keyboards in high regard? I have used many and they aren't that good...
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    What i want to know is why everyone holds the blackberry keyboards in high regard? I have used many and they aren't that good...
    In my opinion, the BB Bold keyboard blows the Curve's away, and is the second best physical keyboard I have ever used on a phone. Next to the keyboard on my Pre-, which has become the standard for me (one handed texting-while-driving guy that I am).
    Quote Originally Posted by rburna View Post
    from my experience, landscape keyboards, both physical and hardware are much more cumbersome to use than a portrait keyboard... especially in one handed use.

i find that majority of the landscape keyboards dont offer enough feel to accurately pick up which key is being pressed (besides the nubs on f and j), most keys are typically flat. and having your thumbs travel from j to p or r to z really cramps my hands and thumbs. yes, some landscape keyboard offer domed keys, but it just doesnt feel right to me.
    I'm with you on that. I really can't stand landscape keyboards and find it amazing that they've become so popular, while their portrait-style contemporaries have fallen out of favor. The sheer distance between keys on most landscape boards slows me down considerably.

Glad to hear the 3 is still in the same class, roughly, as the Pre2, size-wise. Add the excellent key click response from the Veer (as has been reported on) and we've got a winner!
    WANT WANT WANT! {Jonathan}
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Is that hole in the KB the mic? Does that mean I can't talk on the phone without it being open?
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post

oh Common Berd,
    We don't need a sandpapaer to "sand down our fingers".

Bigger is always better. May be the brain needs to adjust in the beginning , but after that I would be a breeze to type.
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Is that hole in the KB the mic? Does that mean I can't talk on the phone without it being open?

Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Yeah not sure if you're being serious but speaking on it with the KB closed is not a problem (as per the reviews that have tried it w/o issue).
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Yeah not sure if you're being serious but speaking on it with the KB closed is not a problem (as per the reviews that have tried it w/o issue).
    I am serious. I don't see a microphone hole on the glass.
    ^ Veer is same way and I can talk on it closed.
    I don't think being too big or spaced out will be a problem. We already have landscape keyboard phones with bigger keys and spacing, which I hate btw b/c your thumbs have to travel so much. I'm glad we have a portrait keyboard. And I never thought BB keys were amazing either, although Pre's keyboard really does suck.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Patience is a virtue ! Only four more weeks (until summer, I mean !).
    I think the keyboard size will be perfect. Can't wait to own one.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast