Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Hello everybody

i'm from germany and just ordered a Pre3 from Amazon - if it's true i will have it at the end of june (we will see)

ok hopping that everything will work fine - i came to the point of switching and transfering my data to the new device

is there some kind of tutorial how to get all my data (contact, calandar entry, mail setting...) and all my apps to the Pre3?!?!? tools? with the help of the PC --> just copy paste in the file explorer?!?!?

Maybe someone who switched from the pre to the pre2 have been through this process and can share the experience...

i hope everything was understandable

thanks and greetings from germany
    everything except for things you put on the USB portion of the phone is synced with your Palm Profile. when you log on to the new Pre3 with your account, everything will be synced to the new device automagically.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    everything except for things you put on the USB portion of the phone is synced with your Palm Profile. when you log on to the new Pre3 with your account, everything will be synced to the new device automagically.
    Well stated. Make sure you go to the Backup settings app and backup all your stuff before switching just to make sure.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    sounds like a lucky fellow who hasnt had to get a new phone or even doctored! yay for a completely (i think) satisfied user
    If you have music, videos, and photos copy those to your computer and install them on the Pre3 when you get it.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rburna View Post
    sounds like a lucky fellow who hasnt had to get a new phone or even doctored! yay for a completely (i think) satisfied user
    I haven't doctored. In fact I really don't even fully understand doctoring. I tried to install preware once but I couldn't get it to work. Help from pc members proved futile as well. I have 1 paid app and less than 10 free apps installed. My att pre plus is still going strong. Still want the 3 though
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    thank you for the fast replay

i hoped that it will be that easy - ok thats how i get my contacts and calendar entrys over to the pre3 - things like fotos or music are not the problem...

what about the apps? games? i don't want to download everything again?!?!?
    i want to play angry bird right fro the start

i've got preware and many patches (of course my patches don't work with the new phone - i know) --> kann i use the backup&restore app from preware for the apps and savegames? oder even copy them with the pc from one drive to another?

thanks again - such a great community
    the apps should follow you to your new webos device as long as you keep your same user name/log in
    Quote Originally Posted by mayham View Post
    thank you for the fast replay

i hoped that it will be that easy - ok thats how i get my contacts and calendar entrys over to the pre3 - things like fotos or music are not the problem...

i've got preware and many patches (of course my patches don't work with the new phone - i know) --> kann i use the backup&restore app from preware for the apps and savegames? oder even copy them with the pc from one drive to another?

thanks again - such a great community
    If you are using google for contacts and calendar you shouldn't have a problem. If you are using palm, it is supposed to sync everything, but there have been people who have had problems in the past. I would get some contacts but not all of them. As someone else mentioned do a back up before changing phones. My memos, tasks and bookmarks were always hit and miss for me using the palm profile. If I got all my contacts, I didn't get memos and bookmarks. If I got them, I didn't get my contacts. They may have improved things. I prefer palm vs google, but I gave up after I lost my contacts and had to call palm for the second time.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by mayham View Post
    Unfortunately, you will have to download again. Fortunately all app catalog apps will be downloaded automatically for you.

i've got preware and many patches (of course my patches don't work with the new phone - i know)
    OTOH, anything that you've downloaded via preware will *not* be automatically downloaded and installed. You'll have to do that on your own.

kann i use the backup&restore app from preware for the apps and savegames? oder even copy them with the pc from one drive to another?
    save/restore app will save the state/configuration of the apps that it supports. It won't save and restore the apps themselves. You will have to re-download those. Including, I might add, the save/restore app itself.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I know this is overly hopeful, but it would make sense if HP provided a migration app. I'm on an ATT Pre+ and intend on getting the Pre3. I know that I have to do the homebrew save&restore app, but something's messed up with my preware. I know I can figure it out but it takes a lot of time for those of us who are quasi-technical.

But, again, I doubt HP will put the effort in given how few of us there are.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    I recently switched from a pre+ to a pre+ (old one broke).

It does work great. A few minor gripes:

My progress in Angry Birds was wiped out. And in various other games too. ah well... I was like 80% done with the original. Just move on to Rio....
    Quote Originally Posted by rburna View Post
    i fall into that category..no phone switch experience...guess it could be a good as well as a bad thing :/
    with that said I am prepared like having a condom in my wallet

save restore..back-up to PC...profile checks on a regular basis...USB...screen shots of launcher is a big plus too
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    A few minor gripes:

My progress in Angry Birds was wiped out. And in various other games too. ah well... I was like 80% done with the original. Just move on to Rio....
    Next time, get save/restore from preware. It'll backup angry birds state (and a lot of other apps) so that you can restore to the new phone.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    I recently switched from a pre+ to a pre+ (old one broke).

It does work great. A few minor gripes:

go get the homebrew app save/restore to backup your application data.
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    save/restore app will save the state/configuration of the apps that it supports. It won't save and restore the apps themselves. You will have to re-download those. Including, I might add, the save/restore app itself.
    As a side note for save/restore, some apps have to be run (maybe most or all) before you can restore their backed up information. I have never had to doctor or replace phones so I can't give a lite, I do know that Newroom required a first run before I could restore when the dbase crashed on me the other day and I had to do a fresh install of it.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    hopefully the multiple device profile will be up and running by the time the Pre 3 gets here. Then you can have both the pre plus and pre 3 logged in at the same time with same profile. And see what you need to manually transfer.
    My pre- needs an upgrade and the pre 3 is the way to go.
    The Save/Restore app is invaluable before upgrading from a Pre- to a Pre 2 or Pre 3.

You also might want to look at this thread to consider moving your SMS database from the Pre- to the new Pre2/Pre3 database format that gets backed up in the cloud. It's still extremely early in its testing, but I was able to successfully move all my texts to the Pre 2 on Sprint. It should all be backed up in the cloud now, so my transition to a Pre 3 should be smoother.
    Quote Originally Posted by beca View Post
    hopefully the multiple device profile will be up and running by the time the Pre 3 gets here. Then you can have both the pre plus and pre 3 logged in at the same time with same profile. And see what you need to manually transfer.
    My pre- needs an upgrade and the pre 3 is the way to go.
    Well it should be here before the Pre 3, should be here with the launch of the TouchPad.

My wondering mind, is if multiple device profile will still function with 1.X devices. Since 1.X hasn't got the new app cat for example. It is the cloud, so hopefully HP has or is addressing this for us legacy users that may buy a TP, but be waiting for a Pre3 (or still under contract). I don't want to mess up my phone to be able to use my apps on a TP.

Also as a thought, I am thinking multiple device profile might be a feature of 1 phone and then a non cellular device. Seams to me there may be issues with allowing multiple phones to login to the same profile (including apps running on multiple devices). Just thoughts I have had, will be waiting to see what it really is when it's rolled out.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast