Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Can anyone explain to me why all the new WebOS phones do not have any SD card slots for expandable memory? I get that it is a large 16gb memory but what about us that want more? Want to put all my music on the Pre3 when I finally come back to Palm ugh HP after my affair with android. This is one of the only things holding me back.
    I had a thought about this recently, I was reading an article about data security on SD cards. One thought I had is that if HP is really going hardcore after enterprise that *maybe* there was a concern about enterprise use.

I know this is not fact, and may not even make sense to some, just saying it's a possibility. Even with all the crap on my Pre- I still have at least a gig of space give or take, and that is with never cleaning anything off my phone, every pic and video I have taken with the phone is still on it, and I have at least a gig in just podcasts (can't remember how much music).

Just checked, 2 gigs of podcasts, 1 gig photos, 1+ gig music, and almost 1 gig free at this moment, 16 gigs will be fine for me.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Ive questioned this myself - an SD card provides such a terrific way to keep ones media and data files portable and usable, and backed up via a PC.

I have read that the app developers arent keen about it, as they fear that apps could be copied to the SD card and replicated from there.. and that licensed copies of media files could be downloaded to the SD card, which could facilitate ilegal duplication activities, but, Im not convinced that would be any different than the current situation as we experience it on our PC's.

An SD slot could reduce the cost of making models with higher memory options - an
    SD slot is way cheaper to incorporate that mobile memory, that's for sure.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I have read that the app developers arent keen about it, as they fear that apps could be copied to the SD card and replicated from there.. and that licensed copies of media files could be downloaded to the SD card, which could facilitate ilegal duplication activities, but, Im not convinced that would be any different than the current situation as we experience it on our PC's.
    I forgot, this too. It does make it slightly easier to pirate apps.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Extra cost plus they probably don't feel it's needed. Honestly do you feel your phone needs an SD slot that much? I'd say a tablet needs one or access to one, but I don't think a phone needs the SD slot.
    The only reason I want it is for sharing info between devices. Especially another person's camera.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/24/2011 at 03:29 PM.
    But isn't the camera more likely to be using an SD card where a phone would use a microSD card? I guess if you wanted to plug the microSD into an adapter and take some pictures to the card but pictures already on an SD card would require a host device with storage to transfer off.

Or you could just get one of those Eye-Fi cards and see if you can it to communicate with the Pre!
    most of my SD cards are microSD that came with the adapter.
    Most of my SD cards are SD cards. It's cheaper to get higher capacities at higher classes than it is for microSDs. Though I don't actually have anything that even uses a microSD right now without an adapter.
    The whole ecosystem and ideology behind WebOS is the web and cloud based data transfer.

SD Cards are discursive to this brand. It goes against the methodology of what WebOS is about.

Do you still transfer files between computers with USB sticks...I hope not...

WebOS is not about transfering files, its about your files instantly existing everywhere and anywhere all at once.

Its not about storing music, its about having all one terabyte of your music files available everywhere you go.

Step out of the 20th century and learn how to use the power of the cloud.
    At 1 MB per minute, 12 GB of music is over 200 hours of music. Is that really not enough? Especially when you consider streaming music sources, which are unlimited?

I still have almost 13 GB available on my Pre 2, and I have plenty of music, pics, and videos on there. I think 16 GB is plenty of storage for 99.99% of users. I mean, hook it to your computer once a month and swap out some music if you want. Where's the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Do you still transfer files between computers with USB sticks...I hope not...
    I do, I have also used USB mode on the Pre when I didn't have a stick at work (taking files home that day).

Okay I don't use em that much, but for certain things I do. I have some computers hardwired to my network and certain parts setup as network drives, but other items I will use a stick (especially with netbook or laptop or between work and home).

For the most part though my stick sits on my desk.
    I wonder the opposite about some of the Android phones; why do I have to buy an SD card?
    Just call me Berd.
    who hacked amazon?
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Sadly I think it's just a way of playing the system. Like madlibs with phone accessories.

[insert accessory name] for [insert phone name]

Sometimes to hilarious result like this one:

Amazon.com: Rapid Wall Home AC Charger for the HP Pre 3 - uses Gomadic TipExchange Technology: Electronics

Since the charging port on a Pre isn't on the top right. I'm not sure if they used a Veer for the photo or more likely they squashed a picture of a Pre using some automated process.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Things are moving to the cloud. I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon launches their cloud player app on webOS which makes SD sluts no longer needed.
    Personally, I would like internal memory because SD cards are slower than built in memory. I also never really have the need to have more than what is in my Phone. 8GB is enough for general use and 16GB on a phone is more than enough. 23GB on the TouchPad will be more than I would ever use. This is because I just sync my phone/future tablet every other day with new media to keep things fresh. It isn't any kind of hassle.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Because internal flash memory is a heck of a lot faster and more reliable than the memory on an SD card, easier to engineer, cheaper and easier to support, and because there is no set "SD card standard" to control the quality of SD cards.

Its probably a scale / infrastructure thing more than a business decision.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
    Well let it have internal storage. That doesn't mean it can't also have a microsd slot for those that want expanded storage. And if it's for business I'm sure they can put software on it that disables it. My company laptop disables the sd slot and usb drives. I doubt anyone with a company phone will want to install preware or try to hack through it and risk getting fired.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast