View Poll Results: Would Switch To Verizon For A Pre 3 If They Honored Your Sprint Loyalty Program?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

73 57.03%
  • No

55 42.97%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    Also, Verizon's history with locking the GPS is a major deterrent. Have they finally backed off on that?
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Verizon's LTE is pretty damn fast where I live and the Pre 3 isn't even 4g so why do you care?
    To clarify, I was talking about Sprint's WiMax service. When I was talking out 3G I was talking about Verizon's fast network. And the reason I would care is because I currently have an Evo.... and hate the 4G service. Yes, the Pre3 isn't a 4G phone but what will the Pre4 (rr..Pre4G) be?
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    If Sprint can't get something as basic and obvious as launching the Pre 3 then it is crystal clear that who ever is running the show over there already has driven Sprint 1/2 way into the ground.

I'll be jumping ship after 12 years. Sprint its but fun, but not real fun.
    I was just checking Verizon's plans out and for a smartphone you require a $30/month per line for unlimited data access, plus they don't include any mobile to any mobile no matter what the carrier. For a family plan with three lines, each one requiring data is going to run $220/month (before any taxes, charges, etc) and that's for 1400 minutes.

Right now on Sprint for 3 phones (1500 mins, unlimted data and text) it is costing me $182/month. That's still a saving of approximately $40/month over Verizon which equates to close to $500/year. So, I think for right now I am staying on Sprint and I unless they get the Pre3 I am staying with my Epic Android phone.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I haven't decided yet, i'll let you know in the "coming weeks"
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    You'll gladly switch to a company who has been sued for overcharging their customers but you have a bad feeling about Verizon. Interesting.

I have no interest in switching carriers over the Pre 3. I'll stay with Sprint and grudgingly go to Android if that's the choice I'm left with. Two weeks from today will mark the 2 year anniversary of the original Pre. I can only hope HP will either announce some Sprint related plan for later this summer or the unfounded rumors of a Pre 3 release on multiple carriers somehow is correct. I can't justify paying more per month for a similiar plan that I have with Sprint but with capped data just to get a new webos phone.
    Verizon is about to cap their data also. But at least AT&T offers unlimited mobile to mobile on any carrier just like sprint does, but not Verizon. All other things being the same, AT&T and Verizon have pretty much the same exact rate plans.

Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    I'm on ATT.

I require a phone that takes a SIM card so I can swap it out when I travel with a local prepaid one. (mostly to Panama, where I'm sort of from (was raised in canal zone)).

And I also have 4 phones on my plan, including my parents who often travel to such places as well (and they don't use or want smartphones).

The SIM card issue pretty much limits me to ATT and T-Mobile, and only the former if I want webOS.
    Pre3 will be available on the CDMA networks as a world phone that will also take a SIM card

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Verizon's LTE is pretty damn fast where I live and the Pre 3 isn't even 4g so why do you care?
    But on AT&T the Veer is "4G" so hopefully if the Pre3 comes to AT&T then it will also be "4G" at least on that network

Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    Also, Verizon's history with locking the GPS is a major deterrent. Have they finally backed off on that?
    And therein lies the rub.
    I'm sticking with Att bc it will eventually come to ATT, probably first. Plus I like being able to swap out my sim when I travel.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFL View Post
    I was just checking Verizon's plans out and for a smartphone you require a $30/month per line for unlimited data access, plus they don't include any mobile to any mobile no matter what the carrier. For a family plan with three lines, each one requiring data is going to run $220/month (before any taxes, charges, etc) and that's for 1400 minutes.

Right now on Sprint for 3 phones (1500 mins, unlimted data and text) it is costing me $182/month. That's still a saving of approximately $40/month over Verizon which equates to close to $500/year. So, I think for right now I am staying on Sprint and I unless they get the Pre3 I am staying with my Epic Android phone.
    Are you already paying the $10 per line smartphone tax? This is what has most of us comparing our plans to VZW.

Just ran numbers real quick. VZW Plan (700 any time minutes will be fine for us) before employer discount 173.95 (this may change slightly once tiered data rates are released). Our Sprint plan right now 150.09 (before employer discount), when we get new phones add $20 to that... making VZW $4 more before any discounts are applied. Ohh and both plans include TEP on both lines.

This is why A LOT of people are considering leaving Sprint. If it wasn't for the $10 per line charge, I would probably be looking at the Epic or a FrankenPre2. That $10 makes VZW and AT&T competitive with Sprint now (for most of us at least).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    I really didn't think I'd ever consider switching but this added $10 per smartphone line is going to add up. We have 4 lines which will be another $40 a month. I haven't run the numbers lately but Verizon may not be much more than sprint now and their 3G coverage is much wider than sprints.
    This is what will have me looking at AT&T and VZW when our contract is up (we've got 4 months). I am tempted to jump to AT&T for free Veer's at this point...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I love the freedom sprint gives its users. They usually don't gimp the hardware and their rate plans are the cheapest around (especially given they're the last unlimited data service) even with the new 4G smart phone tax. I would certainly consider a switch to Big Red if Sprint didn't get the Pre 3 but I'd have to wait and see Verizon's soon to be announced tiered data plans first.

If I don't like Verizon's prices and Sprint doesn't get the Pre 3 I could easily see myself sticking with Sprint and going off webOs for a year or two while HP gets the ship righted. Call it a little experimenting in college.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    If I don't like Verizon's prices and Sprint doesn't get the Pre 3 I could easily see myself sticking with Sprint and going off webOs for a year or two while HP gets the ship righted. Call it a little experimenting in college.
    I keep saying I could do this, but at this point I don't want to learn a new OS when I am happy with what HP is putting out. I really don't want to mess with rooting and not having the ability to Dr. back to the original phone image (with manufacturer approved software).

I am keeping an eye on the tiered data plans as well, since I have at least 4 months before I can make a jump anyways. I do think Sprint will end up going with tiered data (especially after they have added the $10 to the 3G plans), there is nobody to "keep em honest" if you will now that VZW is going tiered. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Sprint announcement soon after VZW announces what their plans are.
    Decided to do the math at AT&T... (all prices before any corp discounts, etc)

To give you an idea, we may use 1500ish total minutes a month, mostly mobile to mobile and mostly between the 2 lines (so we will rarely use the any time minutes on any of the big 3). I constantly use 2+ gigs of data, the wife is usually under 1 gig. So I do understand these numbers won't shake out for everyone, but this is why we will be going where the phone(s) we want are (and we can get the best corp discount). Sprint has most likely lost us with the $10 per line charge.

AT&T
    2 lines (did the 550 minutes, plenty with unlimited mobile to mobile), 2 gigs data for the wife (more than she needs), 4 gigs for me (I could use wifi way more than I do, so I could probably save $20 and drop this to 2 gigs), unlimited texting... 179.97

VZW
    2 lines 700 minutes, currently unlimited data (we will see how their tiers shake out).. 173.95

Sprint
    2 lines 1500 minutes ... with new $10 per line fee will be 170.09
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I keep saying I could do this, but at this point I don't want to learn a new OS when I am happy with what HP is putting out. I really don't want to mess with rooting and not having the ability to Dr. back to the original phone image (with manufacturer approved software).
    Im with you. Leaving webOS would be brutal because I absolutely love it, especially the mod community. I like the Pre 3 hardware as well but some of the stuff coming out of HTC is pretty tempting hardware wise like the evo 3D with a dedicated external camera button. I know it sounds silly to some but I see that as a fantastic feature and it would allow me to stay with Sprint if they don't get the Pre 3. I don't really want to use Android because it looks clunky and cumbersome to me but its a featured / app packed OS and if its a significant savings to stay with Sprint I just might deal with it for a two year commitment before jumping back to new webOs hardware once that contracts expired (Assuming Sprint gets with the program again). I've been eligible for a hardware upgrade for about a year rocking my Pre - so I may be chomping at the bit more than some.

man thats a lot of future assumptions for one post.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I will be staying with Sprint. I have 5 lines with Sprint and two of them don't expire until next year. If they don't get WebOS, then I guess I will get Android unless that little iPhone rumor is true. I really rather have WebOS over either of the other two, but switching carriers is not an option. (Plus my husband husband would be at his cap halfway through the month. Loving Sprint's unlimited.)
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if I move to Verizon and sign a contract that my plan will remain the same during that contract- or when they switch to teired data it will be retroactive? On sprint I know they honor "old" plans as long as they are active- I had a 20$ 300min plan for years on sprint lol

So, if I go get a Verizon pre3 if it comes out before the teired plan debute- will I stay on unlimited data during that time?

Also does verizon have a 30day money back deal like sprint? if so Ill go buy a pre2 and hedge a bet on getting a pre3 in that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    Does anyone know if I move to Verizon and sign a contract that my plan will remain the same during that contract- or when they switch to teired data it will be retroactive? On sprint I know they honor "old" plans as long as they are active- I had a 20$ 300min plan for years on sprint lol

So, if I go get a Verizon pre3 if it comes out before the teired plan debute- will I stay on unlimited data during that time?

Also does verizon have a 30day money back deal like sprint? if so Ill go buy a pre2 and hedge a bet on getting a pre3 in that time.
    If Verizon attempts to force you to change over to the new tiered plans after you already signed a contract for the plan with unlimited, then they have to let you out of the contract, as it is a breach of service terms. It's also why they usually don't go retroactive.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFL View Post

I think you need to read the plan details. With the plan in question, you get unlimited messaging and data. You get free mobile to mobile to any VZW customer. You get nights and weekends free. You also get 10 friends and family numbers for free, meaning you take the top 10 phones that you call during the day that aren't VZW, and you now get unlimited calling to them. Most families would be hard pressed to use over 700 minutes of daytime only calling to non-VZW customers who aren't part of their top 10 list (Friends and Family numbers). Unless you have a teen daughter...that is. If you drop to the 700 minute plan, you are looking at 199 plus fees and taxes. A bit more competitive.

VZW also has a lot of of corporate discounts. I get a corporate discount, so my Friends and Family Basic plan (5 numbers with 450 minutes with 2 smartphone lines and 200 texts for one of them) costs me ~$132 after all fees and taxes. And I get signal, including data, in places many carriers can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    I think you need to read the plan details. With the plan in question, you get unlimited messaging and data. You get free mobile to mobile to any VZW customer. You get nights and weekends free. You also get 10 friends and family numbers for free, meaning you take the top 10 phones that you call during the day that aren't VZW, and you now get unlimited calling to them. Most families would be hard pressed to use over 700 minutes of daytime only calling to non-VZW customers who aren't part of their top 10 list (Friends and Family numbers). Unless you have a teen daughter...that is.
    AT&T already has A List for the top 10 numbers you want to call off network. But with AT&T and their new unlimited messaging you get unlimited calling to ANY mobile phone on ANY domestic network, so Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, MetroPCS, Cricket etc. The only minutes you will use will be during the daytime and during the week to landlines. And with AT&T you can talk and surf the web at the same time. Very useful especially while using freetether.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    Only if they also matched price and service.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Given there is not much difference between Sprint and Verizon when it comes to quality I think Verizon has a real opportunity to grab Sprint customers if they respect loyal customers.
    I'd rather not see a big increase in my bill just for a phone. I'll keep my pre- until it falls apart.

I will get a wifi touchpad regardless.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Pre - Resting in peace | Touchpad - Stock and still running like new
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast