Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    That won't help. If you activate any smartphone on sprint (and it doesn't matter how you got it) it'll force you to get the $10 smartphone data add-on.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre using
    we have done a few activations so far and that hasn't happened. I'm hoping it never will.
    I think you have gotten some good Sprint reps, from everything I have read, they are supposed to be charging (even activating a used phone bought off Ebay, like a used Pre).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The only new Sprint 3G phone in the past few months that requires the $10 premium data fee is the Echo. The good news is that every store has lots in stock.

The Pre 3 will come to Sprint and it will be 4G. It is too hard to explain an extra $10 premium data charge for the same 3G they used to have.
    Milo, not sure that information is correct.

Just last week, I had the following incident happen.

My Pre quit working. No power, no charging light when I hooked it up to a charger (touchstone or direct). I even switched out batteries, and had the same result. I thought it was dead. I had to have a phone early the next morning, so I activated my old Treo.

The next day late in the afternoon, I tried pulling the battery one more time and lo and behold, it came back to life. I shut down the Treo, and reactived the phone. When I did so, I was informed that there would be a $10 increase for the data plan. It was a Saturday, so I decided to hash it out Monday. I called Sprint, and had the additional $10 a month removed.

So, my guess is that any new phone, even if it were a brand new Pre (somehow) gets the $10 charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    We have 4 people with smartphones on Sprint. Soon to be 5. At $40 a month, that is $480 every year over what we pay now. No way we are changing our plan. We will just buy used phones from the open market.
    If you add a used Pre to the plan, your rate will go up $10.
    The only new Sprint 3G phone in the past few months that requires the $10 premium data fee is the Echo...
    ...The Samsung Replenish from Sprint does exactly that except the $10 fee is reduced to $0...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Milo, not sure that information is correct...
    Here are sources saying that Sprint is waiving the $10 a month premium data fee for the Samsung Replenish:

1. AndroidCentral: Sprint announces the eco-friendly Samsung Replenish | Android Central
    Sprint is waiving the $10 monthly premium data add-on charge for Samsung Replenish

2. SprintUsers: Sprint waives $10 Premium Data on Samsung Replenish

3. Engadget: Sprint plays the green card, drops $10 data surcharge...

4. Boy Genius Report: Sprint announces eco-friendly Samsung Replenish Android smartphone
    Sprint is waiving the $10 monthly premium data add-on charge for Samsung Replenish

5. PhoneArena: Sprint's Samsung Replenish focuses on its eco-friendly nature ...
    Sprint will actually wave its usual $10 per moth premium data fee

6. Androidandme: Sprint announces eco-friendly Android device: Samsung Replenish ...

7. PCWorld: Samsung Replenish Review: A Smarter Green Phone

8. Seeking Alpha: Q1 Earnings Call Transcript
    "So to take Green mainstream, we're lowering the monthly rate for this smartphone only by $10 a month for new or existing customers."

Putting a Pre or almost any other 3G Smartphone on Sprint will now have the $10 charge except the Replenish. Would you share your source about the Samsung Replenish premium data fee?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/25/2011 at 10:57 AM.
    Here are sources saying that Sprint is waiving the $10 a month premium data fee for the Samsung Replenish:

1. AndroidCentral: Sprint announces the eco-friendly Samsung Replenish | Android Central

2. SprintUsers: Sprint waives $10 Premium Data on Samsung Replenish

3. Engadget: Sprint plays the green card, drops $10 data surcharge...

4. Boy Genius Report: Sprint announces eco-friendly Samsung Replenish Android smartphone

5. PhoneArena: Sprint's Samsung Replenish focuses on its eco-friendly nature ...
    Sprint will actually wave its usual $10 per moth premium data fee

6. Androidandme: Sprint announces eco-friendly Android device: Samsung Replenish ...

7. PCWorld: Samsung Replenish Review: A Smarter Green Phone

8. Seeking Alpha: Q1 Earnings Call Transcript
    "So to take Green mainstream, we're lowering the monthly rate for this smartphone only by $10 a month for new or existing customers."

Putting a Pre or almost any other 3G Smartphone on Sprint will now have the $10 charge except the Replenish. Would you share your source about the Samsung Replenish premium data fee?
    I think you wasted some time there.... I don't think he was referring to the Replenish, but to the fact that they are charging even for used 3G phones. Guessing he missed on the fact that you were saying "new" you guys were just talking about different things.

Default Sprint policy is to charge the $10 regardless of phone if it is considered a "smartphone" upon activation (even without new contract).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I think you wasted some time there.... I don't think he was referring to the Replenish, but to the fact that they are charging even for used 3G phones. Guessing he missed on the fact that you were saying "new"...
    Herb is a smart guy.

Old or new, currently the Samsung Replenish is the only smartphone that you can activate on a Sprint line that will not incure the Premium Data charge. Here is Sprints statement on Premium Data:
    Premium Data
    "The Premium Data add-on charge is required for smartphones...Sprint smartphones currently are: Android, BlackBerry, Palm, Instinct and Windows Mobile phones."

Here is the special offer on the Samsung Replenish waiving the $10 fee:
    Meet the Replenish | Introducing the new Samsung Replenish™
    Unless you open a corporate liable account (if you run your own co.) with a credit union discount that waives the 10 dollar charge for all 3G Smartphones.
    the $10 charge is kind of hit and miss... if you go to a "preferred" sprint dealer I have seen it where the $10 charge has not had to be added to the upgraded phone if you previously had a smartphone, they just have to try it.
    Wonder what happens if you've been a Sprint customer for 10+ years, what happens to the fee then?
    Thread "Will $10 SmartPhone charge kill the Pre 3 on Sprint?" should be closed. No pre 3 on Sprint period.

Just wait for Villo to do a franken pre 3 service if possible. No $10 activation then.
    i got my pre 2 last week and sprint tacked on the $10 charge, been with sprint for 11 years now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerszone View Post
    i got my pre 2 last week and sprint tacked on the $10 charge, been with sprint for 11 years now.
    That sucks, well I guess it's $10 regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    That sucks, well I guess it's $10 regardless.
    As said above, the fee is hit and miss.... some folks have gotten out of it, others haven't. Sprint is quickly losing us with this BS
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234