Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The only new Sprint 3G phone in the past few months that requires the $10 premium data fee is the Echo. The good news is that every store has lots in stock.

The Pre 3 will come to Sprint and it will be 4G. It is too hard to explain an extra $10 premium data charge for the same 3G they used to have.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

The Pre 3 will come to Sprint and it will be 4G. It is too hard to explain an extra $10 premium data charge for the same 3G they used to have.
    All smartphones require the $10 premium data charge. New or old, 3g or 4g. I agree it seems ridiculous for them to try to explain a $10 charge for the same old service but that's what they've done.
    What Pre 3 on sprint? I think you mean Verizon and At&T
    Quote Originally Posted by banoggy2008 View Post
    I like that this post is completly hypothetical as Sprint hasn't even officially announced the Pre3 yet anyway. Also where is this $199 price point on the pre and HTC 3D coming from since, once again, no price has been announced. I know it is not nearly as fun, but maybe we should wait for official confirmation before getting upset over hypothetical scenarios. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.
    Yeah the reps at my sprint store told me they listings of incoming phones up to two months prior to release and the pre3 isn't there. Fingers crossed that august is the month.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Pre - Resting in peace | Touchpad - Stock and still running like new
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I can't believe no one thought of this one. what if, now bare with me. HP will void the $10 month fee or reduce it, let's say $5 a month for pre3 on sprint? how many people will jump ship to webos just to save the the stupid surcharge? I think HP should either pay the $10 or half of it, just to get webos customers. now that would be some good marketing. and once u go weeb-o-s u never go back.

like the new samsung replenish, android phone, looks like a rip off treo/centros but u don't pay the extra $10.

and as for the 3g 4g speeds. textbook definitions need to be in play here, these companies redefining their own terms does not work. the old edge or evdo /respected networks were running .5-.75mb dl and that when they started kallin them 3g, when then 3g was 3-6mb dl, and 4g is suppose to be 20-40mb dl by theory. now the phones /networks claiming 4g now are 3g textbook def. by speedtest.net tests that I've ran on vz(thunderbolt 8 mb dl, sprint nexus galaxy s 4g gmb dl) soo they are all 3g atm, unless u go to an airport hotspot ud be lucky to get 15. att demod their 4g in texas, that's real 4g, same with tmobile and vz lte once that hets started, but bandwidth anyone?
    Last edited by h2o826; 05/24/2011 at 03:59 AM.
    GF just got a Replenish and definitely the waived surcharge pushed her over the edge when choosing between other, better phones. Given the strategy with the Veer (almost a loss leader to get people on the OS), it may be a good idea for the Pre3. Particularly if it's not 4g.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Its better to buy outside than tie to a contract. It saves $10 a month which on a two year contract will be $ 240. So if you can get a phone which has a cost = the Sprint subsidy Price + 240, I say go for it.

Besides Sprint will be worried that you did nit renew the contract.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickafreeman View Post
    the $10 premium data add on. The pre 3 is only 3g on sprint, why would anyone want to pay an additional $120 a year to still have 3g when they could have wimax 4g for the same price. With most large cities have usable 4g sprint coverage, I believe most people would want 4g. Also the price of the phone. Most like @ $199, the same as what the evo 3d and nexus s 4g will be $199.
    The Pre 3 won't be on Sprint so it's a total non issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by h2o826 View Post
    I can't believe no one thought of this one. what if, now bare with me. HP will void the $10 month fee or reduce it, let's say $5 a month for pre3 on sprint? how many people will jump ship to webos just to save the the stupid surcharge? I think HP should either pay the $10 or half of it, just to get webos customers. now that would be some good marketing. and once u go weeb-o-s u never go back.
    Why has no one thought of it? Because it's silly, that's why!

Do you really think HP would pay $60 or $120 a year to Sprint for you for using their phone? No. If they are going to pay that much, they would just give you the phone for free.
    Buying users for $5-10/month is a very unrealistic plan for HP. Lets say that 500,000 people, which I think is underestimating what it would be, take them up on that offer. That's $2.5-5 million/year that HP pays just to have customers on the 3rd largest network. That may translate to some higher TP sales but not by much. The bottom line is even with that $10/fee, Sprint is cheaper than other companies while providing more services and perks to their plan such as truly unlimited data, unlimited mobile to mobile, and 7pm nights. People won't have an issue paying more when they realize they still are saving $240+ over the duration of a contract.
    We have 4 people with smartphones on Sprint. Soon to be 5. At $40 a month, that is $480 every year over what we pay now. No way we are changing our plan. We will just buy used phones from the open market.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    I'm stuck with it anyway. I live in an are that won't have 4G until there is 6G, but I'll still have to pay the $10. Don't like it, but its still cheaper than Verizon. About the only thing it affects is my not getting smartphones for my sons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    We have 4 people with smartphones on Sprint. Soon to be 5. At $40 a month, that is $480 every year over what we pay now. No way we are changing our plan. We will just buy used phones from the open market.
    I might be wrong about this but I think you will end up paying the $10/month if those used phones are different than your current phone. If it's a Pre for a Pre, I think that would work. If you're going from a Pre to another 3g smartphone like a Blackberry or Android phone, I think you'll get charged. I think that's how people who have a Sprintified Pre 2 got away with not paying the fee because the network thought they had not upgraded their phone.
    I don't know that the $10 kills the Pre3, I am not sold on current 4G, especially with Sprint talking about LTE now too.

What the $10 ($20 for me and the wife) does do, is it means I will be looking at all carriers for my next phone purchase and contract. I am happy with Sprint, but for our plan, it just made VZW and ATT competition in the monthly plan price area. I will be shopping around when our plan comes up and going with the carrier that gives me the best bang for my buck and the phone(s) we want.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I might be wrong about this but I think you will end up paying the $10/month if those used phones are different than your current phone. If it's a Pre for a Pre, I think that would work. If you're going from a Pre to another 3g smartphone like a Blackberry or Android phone, I think you'll get charged. I think that's how people who have a Sprintified Pre 2 got away with not paying the fee because the network thought they had not upgraded their phone.
    Yep, it's not based on the plan, its based on the esn. If you change the phone at all and it's a to smart phone, the 10 bucks applies, old or new model. The only way you'd get past that is to do a "frankenpre". I'm not happy at all for having to pay the 10 bucks for a treo 755 I reactivated, especially as I was told to go from the treo to the pre I had to get a more expensive plan to account for "premium data" that the pre used that they said the treo didn't.

Sprint Community: Plans: What's there to know about the $10 Premium Data Add-on for Smartphones?
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    I can't believe no one thought of this one. what if, now bare with me. HP will void the $10 month fee or reduce it...
    Sprint thought this was a great idea and has already run with it!

The Samsung Replenish from Sprint does exactly that except the $10 fee is reduced to $0.

The Replenish looks like what a Pixi 3 might look like with a 2.8" screen and is a "free" phone at Best Buy.

So for someone already paying the $10 a month fee might get the Replenish for $0 and then save $240 over the contract.

What is better than a "free" phone? Saving another $240 on it.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/24/2011 at 02:45 PM.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Why has no one thought of it? Because it's silly, that's why!

Do you really think HP would pay $60 or $120 a year to Sprint for you for using their phone? No. If they are going to pay that much, they would just give you the phone for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Buying users for $5-10/month is a very unrealistic plan for HP. Lets say that 500,000 people, which I think is underestimating what it would be, take them up on that offer. That's $2.5-5 million/year that HP pays just to have customers on the 3rd largest network. That may translate to some higher TP sales but not by much. The bottom line is even with that $10/fee, Sprint is cheaper than other companies while providing more services and perks to their plan such as truly unlimited data, unlimited mobile to mobile, and 7pm nights. People won't have an issue paying more when they realize they still are saving $240+ over the duration of a contract.
    i guess it is too much money, but if sprints doing it to the replenish, someone is paying that 10$ right? or they dont need to cause that $10 is BS. Waive it on the Pre3, it would get lots to jump ship.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    That won't help. If you activate any smartphone on sprint (and it doesn't matter how you got it) it'll force you to get the $10 smartphone data add-on.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    [QUOTE=i2y4n;2971947]That won't help. If you activate any smartphone on sprint (and it doesn't matter how you got it) it'll force you to get the $10 smartphone data add-on.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [url=

we have done a few activations so far and that hasn't happened. I'm hoping it never will.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast