Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If only Deesugar was in a bar... Then he could have left the Pre3 on * accident*
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard83 View Post
    Thanks for the report OP. It looks like the Pre3 is coming to Verizon sometime this summer. Anything on the front facing camera or Skype?

I am still using my Pre+ and am trying to decide whether to go ahead and upgrade to the Pre2 which would work with all my accessories (spare & extra capacity batteries, touchstone back case, chargers, etc) or wait for the Pre3. I am sure the Pre3 would require me to purchase a spare battery and larger case. I am holding off because VZW has not updated the software on the Pre2 yet. I hear some people have email integration problems.
    It was demonstrated in Feb with a front-facing camera and video calling. I would expect Skype on the Pre3 to work exactly like it does on the Pre2, with the addition of video.
    Seems a bit light of details, I want to know more! Anything else you noticed?
    Quote Originally Posted by thermodynamic View Post
    anything he would have seen would have already been captured by videos at the Feb 9th event. I was able to play with a Pre3 for a few minutes at the announcement. It felt great. The keyboard was the best I've ever tried. The slider felt like it was ball bearings like an expensive drawer. The screen was huge, bright, and crisp.

Unless the OP was able to grab the phone and play with it, that's about all he's gong to see. And the OP was at the Feb 9th Dev event, so he had already seen the basics.

I'm just excited that he saw a Palm phone in the wild. Even older Palm phones are rarely sighted in the wild. And if this guy is an employee using it on the VZW network, that means I'll be able to buy one when my upgrade is due at the end of the year.
    I HOPE Skype on the Pre 3 doesn't work the same as the Pre 2. I hope people outside of Verizon are able to use it too...
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    I HOPE Skype on the Pre 3 doesn't work the same as the Pre 2. I hope people outside of Verizon are able to use it too...
    Implied is certainly that it would be available to all carriers, which I suspect it will. What I was talking about was the mechanics of how it is integrated with the dialer, address book, etc.

The carrier/VZW issue is that Palm will need to allow the call to be operated completely on the Skype network. Verizon has them running across their voice network, but once you add video I'm not sure they will be able to keep that model unless they can figure out how to route video over the voice network - or keep it synced even if video and voice are sent across different channels.

The Verizon exclusive was over a while ago, and we saw video calling demonstrated on the 9th, so Palm must have figured out how to make it work for any carrier...
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    OP should go and play with Veer and then compare both the phones.
    I did play with the Veer, it's a fine phone but just too small for my taste.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Any Pics?
    Well there wasn't anything to take a pic of. There are plenty of pics of the Pre 3 on the web and it was running 2.2 which didn't seem any different from my Pre 2. I was trying to be Mr. Discrete, not Captain Obvious with this
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    any hands on with video conferencing?
    Scrolling through the apps I didn't notice any video conference but even if I did find it I wouldn't know who to call to test it.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
    I would like to know this too.
    It was bigger. Felt nice. Not that I have a prob with the Pre 2 keyboard. In fact my friend who has a LG Rumor Touch feels to spread out for me and slows down my typing. So I guess I'm trying to say there is a sweet spot for keyboard layout and the Pre 3 seems to be perfect in that area for me.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by thermodynamic View Post
    Honestly there's not that much of a difference between the 2 and the 3 aside from size. They both run WebOS and I didn't notice much of a difference between my 2.1 to the 3's 2.2. But the bigger screen (with higher resolution) and slimmer profile is really enough to make someone like me want the 3 bad. Also the edges are more rounded which makes it feel and look better

If HP launches this the way I hope they will, there will probably be announcements about new software and services to go along with the TP and the 3.

But I'm seriously preparing myself to jump to Verizon if Sprint doesn't come through on this.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Your last sentence was confusing. So, he/she said that they do not know if it will come to sprint or not?
    It's probably confusing because this person was hinting that he probably isn't at the level to know this stuff but at the same time hasn't heard any word about it launching on Sprint.

I take it to mean there is no definite no or yes at this point. They may still be in negotiations but there is no Sprint devices being tested at this point.
    How was the speed compared to pre2/veer, and how it was during the feb 9th event?

(you mentioned it wasn't buggy, and it was fast,but a bit more detail would be nice. Thanks)
    [QUOTE=deesugar;2970039
    But I'm seriously preparing myself to jump to Verizon if Sprint doesn't come through on this.[/QUOTE]

I get that negotiations with Sprint may not work at this point in time. What I don't like is the sneaking suspicion that the "make things right" promise will be broken. Shows no loyalty to the existing customer base. Poor sign on customer service for wanting the customer to invest in the ecosystem.
    Rubenstein told engadget in March that the Pre customer base was too small to mention (or something like that). That tape keeps running through my mind (when I'm not blocking out the fact that I wasted 2 hours of my time listening to that interview).
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    How was the speed compared to pre2/veer, and how it was during the feb 9th event?

(you mentioned it wasn't buggy, and it was fast,but a bit more detail would be nice. Thanks)
    You probably will not feel it's that much faster then 2 based on my limited time. I didn't really launch that many apps or anything. But those people who have the Pre 2 know that speed is not a problem.
  16.    #56  
    One thing I forgot to say is the beta tester raved about the battery life and said it was a huge improvement over previous Pre's.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    I personally think that Pre 3 will show up on V a month after it's GSM counterpart is released; so a mid August to early Sept release on V.
    That would be perfect! I get my update in September.
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I get that negotiations with Sprint may not work at this point in time. What I don't like is the sneaking suspicion that the "make things right" promise will be broken.
    I understand what you're saying but the announcement to "make things right" is such a generalized statement that I doubt anyone knew what that would entail. It was really more of a feel good thing to say and not a promise of anything.

Shows no loyalty to the existing customer base. Poor sign on customer service for wanting the customer to invest in the ecosystem.
    I think sometimes a company has to weigh their future decisions against the bottom line and I get the feeling that it was more trouble then it was worth to keep that promise.

Rubenstein told engadget in March that the Pre customer base was too small to mention (or something like that). That tape keeps running through my mind (when I'm not blocking out the fact that I wasted 2 hours of my time listening to that interview).
    The fact of the matter when it came to the upgrade is the file system was changed to the point that an over the air upgrade wasn't feasible. They were thinking of coming out with a downloadable upgrade but WebOS Internals kinda beat them to the punch on that

If you think about it, during this time they've been busy with the Veer, the TouchPad, the Pre 3, a possible slab and a PC version of WebOS. So I can't really blame them for not having the time to deal with a promise made in the past. They probably figured most people would be more interested in a brand new Pre 3 then an OS update for a 2-year old Pre with Oreo issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I understand what you're saying but the announcement to "make things right" is such a generalized statement that I doubt anyone knew what that would entail. It was really more of a feel good thing to say and not a promise of anything.

Yes, and good management, in my experience, usually takes greater care with their words whereas the less well-run companies are far more loose.

Making me cautious on investment in their "ecosystem."
  20.    #60  
    Yes, and good management, in my experience, usually takes greater care with their words whereas the less well-run companies are far more loose.

Making me cautious on investment in their "ecosystem."
    I was just as upset as you are but after giving it some thought and putting things into perspective I see it this way:

Not too long ago Palm's very existence was in question. There's some time that needs to take place to sync up with HP's vision. So I liken it to a friend who's in the hospital and just coming out of a coma. Sure he missed my my Birthday but how mad can I be that he didn't keep his promise given the circumstances?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast