Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Engadget: So the original devices... they're not getting an update?

Jon: No. But we're going to do something special for those people.

Palm rep: We want to support our existing customer base.

Jon: We'll do something. The older devices simply don't have the horsepower.

The Engadget Interview: Jon Rubinstein and Steven McArthur talk webOS on PCs, 'Music Synergy,' competition, and more -- Engadget
    What we should do is keep emailing HP with their exact quote over and over again until they cave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    What we should do is keep emailing HP with their exact quote over and over again until they cave.
    What we should do is act like adults and move on.
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Engadget: So the original devices... they're not getting an update?

Jon: No. But we're going to do something special for those people.

Palm rep: We want to support our existing customer base.

Jon: We'll do something. The older devices simply don't have the horsepower.
    [/url]
    exactly, right after his interview. WebOS 2.x was released for some Pre+ and , apparently without "horse power" problem.

Now thats the lie Im talking about. Obviously he made a business decision, rather than being honest, he went to engadget and trying to blame on the technical issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    exactly, right after his interview. WebOS 2.x was released for some Pre+ and , apparently without "horse power" problem.

Now thats the lie Im talking about. Obviously he made a business decision, rather than being honest, he went to engadget and trying to blame on the technical issues.
    Um... who do you know running 2.x on Pre Plus or Pre hardware that is happy with stock speeds?

The stuff works but only acceptably with the Overclocking Kernels that potentially VOID THE WARRANTY - which clearly could not be advocated by HP. Granted they released it - but it has been said that was due to contract requirements.

Of course, just because I have not heard of folks on 2.x that don't overclock and are happy, that doesn't mean there aren't any.
    there is no making it right.
    Another thought: what about legacy device owners are eligible for developer device pricing?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think you're getting a bit carried away with your own hype.

Yes, being the largest has something to do with creating a self-sustataing ecosystem. That is definitely not the same thing as devoting resources to a dying OS.

Now please, get back in your chair and put some more thought into things
    LOL, just seemed a bit odd .
    At this point, I really don't care about HP making things right. They just need to realize they screwed up royally with the broken promises.
    The Pre3/Touchpad talk was quickly bashed by the community earlier this year and the HP reps took a step back and wondered why people were not jumping up and down like Apple ******* wanting the newest toy.

People like Adora were upset that the original webos converts were ****ed off at them.
    Thats when the whole make things right talk started.

HP thought they could win the community over instantly and instead got a huge backlash they didn't expect.

Does it matter in the end to HP financially? Nope, its not going to affect their bottom line.
    What it does show is whether they are faithful to their users or shareholders.
    Quote Originally Posted by jandar View Post
    At this point, I really don't care about HP making things right. They just need to realize they screwed up royally with the broken promises.
    The Pre3/Touchpad talk was quickly bashed by the community earlier this year and the HP reps took a step back and wondered why people were not jumping up and down like Apple ******* wanting the newest toy.

People like Adora were upset that the original webos converts were ****ed off at them.
    Thats when the whole make things right talk started.

HP thought they could win the community over instantly and instead got a huge backlash they didn't expect.

Does it matter in the end to HP financially? Nope, its not going to affect their bottom line.
    What it does show is whether they are faithful to their users or shareholders.
    Adora actually works for Palm...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Incorrect.

I challenge you to find a quote from anyone at Palm or HP that promised OTA upgrades (important note - upgrades are not necessarily the same as OTA upgrades).

This is how rumors "expand".

You've got to be joking. It was on the front page of precentral!

Their lovely little poem in response to some leaked info.

And of course, there were so many times when both Palm and HP promised flash for the Pre that to even suggest otherwise is laughable.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Don't hack my post, <<edited by staff>>
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 05/24/2011 at 01:14 AM.
    Nothing!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

SE taught me hard lesson with P990i, same as Palm taught many members here - never to buy product if its out of box performance and experience isn't satisfying. If product lacks features you need - don't buy it. If you don't like how it performs - don't buy it. If manufacturer somehow manage to improve device's performance after its release, than buy it.
    I bought my Pre year after official release. I paid $290 for used German O2 just to check new Palm's OS. I knew what I'm buying. I expected poor performance and hardware problems, and I paid for Pre more than any US customer. Many of you guys got more than 5 replacements without questions asked. On software side, Palm released dozen software updates but webos simply couldn't run OK on old hardware. I think there nothing can't be done and nothing will be done anymore
    Two of the three devices haven't been released yet...there is still a chance that HP will make things right once the other two devices are released. Personally, I don't think they will. If they were going to I would think they would have announced it by now. It's been over 3 months and they haven't figured out what to do about this debacle?
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

And of course, there were so many times when both Palm and HP promised flash for the Pre that to even suggest otherwise is laughable.
    Plus a alpha/beta version of Flash on the Pre was shown off in a video by an Adobe tech in late 2009.

Though it's most likely Adobes fault that Flash took so long - not Palms.
    It makes no sense to assume that Palm would not put Flash on the Pre in 2010 if they had the option to do so.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    On one hand, I think it's disturbing how many of you feel entitled to something.

On the other hand, Palm positively, absolutely promised its users a multitude of things that never came to be: doc editing, flash, 2.X for old Pres and Pixis. It's really bad form for a company to promise things and not follow through. They simply shouldn't have promised things that weren't in their hands (doc editing) or things they THOUGHT they could pull off but ultimately couldn't (flash, 2.X for legacy devices). But things were what they were, and Palm was in a deep hole as far as money was concerned. Things could be different now...

But if HP is then asked what it is gonna do about those users who were promised 2.X and never got it, and answers that it "wants to make things right", and doesn't follow through on THAT, that's just a crappy thing to do in my opinion and shows (if there is, in fact, nothing coming and HP isn't merely waiting for its webOS ecosystem to be in place to announce how they're making things right, which is still a possibility) a certain contempt for users which I'll openly admit I do not like. I don't feel entitled to any special deal or service... But if one is announced / teased and then not offered, that's still crappy.

At the same time, I never bought any products because the manufacturer is such a nice guy. I buy because of features. WebOS is still the OS I want to use.
    Global Posts
    835 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Plus a alpha/beta version of Flash on the Pre was shown off in a video by an Adobe tech in late 2009.

Though it's most likely Adobes fault that Flash took so long - not Palms.
    It makes no sense to assume that Palm would not put Flash on the Pre in 2010 if they had the option to do so.
    I'm guessing the performance was sub-optimal to the point where they decided it would do more harm. It could probably be solved by overclocking somewhat, but the can't go out and endorse that, can they?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post

Sorry, but what you are claiming is "a lie", simply is not the case. He wasn't saying they didn't have the horsepower for a hacked 2.1; he said they didn't have the horsepower to handle the direction they were going.

I have 2.1 on my Pre -. It's definitely got some technical issues with it. Do I prefer having it? Yes. Would the average consumer? Probably not. There are times when it freezes for 5-10 seconds while it's doing background work. The device simply doesn't have what 2.1 needs.

Actually, it was not. There was never a promise of an Over The Air upgrade. You (and many others, apparently) get caught up in what you want, and don't pay attention to what was said.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast