Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post

Basically what they lose is future credibility.
    Wait they had Credibility? WHEN!
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post
    Wait they had Credibility? WHEN!
    What is: "When we were younger and more gullible?"
    Quote Originally Posted by l8whalefr8 View Post
    My Pixi, god bless it's 1.45.x crap, is only about 10 months old. I expected 2 years of service and updates. Sure, I should have gotten a Pre2, but I didn't. Eitherway, I would have been left hanging with a new, and yet outdated, phone for 2 years.

I have an unsupported orphan, and I'm not the only one, that I expected to be supported and kept up to date.

I like webOS as much as I dislike iSheep. And I fear google will be just as bad in the future.

HP wants this new system of desktop, tablet and phone integration and I'm all for it. However, I do have a bit of a sour taste left from this experience. Not quite on par of MS, but close.

Thanks to all of you, especially WebOS Internals and those here, that have made my first foray into webOS as good as it can be.

If HP wants us to be happy, they need to follow through and make it right. Phone-for-phone credit is good. Or, as some have suggested, bundle the Tablet and phone for the same tablet only price. Let us get the word out....
    Or better yet, how about they write us all a cheque for $400 that can be used towards a new Pre? I mean we have to be realistic here. It's a company, not a charity. They are in it to make money. My Pre - works fine and I have no bones to pick with 1.4.5 at all. My phone is still leaps and bounds over many 'newer' phones. To be fair, HP even offering a paltry 50 bucks rebate would be a gesture of good will for a company they had no control over in the past.
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Or better yet, how about they write us all a cheque for $400 that can be used towards a new Pre? I mean we have to be realistic here. It's a company, not a charity. They are in it to make money. My Pre - works fine and I have no bones to pick with 1.4.5 at all. My phone is still leaps and bounds over many 'newer' phones. To be fair, HP even offering a paltry 50 bucks rebate would be a gesture of good will for a company they had no control over in the past.
    $50-$100 is realistic.

reputation and brand loyalty has monetary values, I think most companies would agree.

Yeah HP has no control over the company previously wasn't theirs, but they also are inheriting a large loyal fanbase that previously not theirs. Its one time shot for HP to get Palm/webOS loyal users (or many of them) onboard and inherit the palm brand loyalty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    My Pre - works fine and I have no bones to pick with 1.4.5 at all. My phone is still leaps and bounds over many 'newer' phones. To be fair, HP even offering a paltry 50 bucks rebate would be a gesture of good will for a company they had no control over in the past.
    Well goody for you. At this point for every one pre you show me. I'll show you 50+ that that have been replace over 5 times.

You are right they did have no control over the past. But if they want a Future they better do something to keep us.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    $50-$100 is realistic.

reputation and brand loyalty has monetary values, I think most companies would agree.

Yeah HP has no control over the company previously wasn't theirs, but they also are inheriting a large loyal fanbase that previously not theirs. Its one time shot for HP to get Palm/webOS loyal users (or many of them) onboard and inherit the palm brand loyalty.
    I can only hope so...has anyone switched carriers lately. My last move to Sprint from Verizon cost us close to $1000 for two Pre- phones after tax, tag, and title. Not sure if I can afford that move again and may simply have to stay, wait, or move on to something else. Sorli...
    For what it's worth, I think 1.4.5 users have a right to be upset. There is goodness in 2.x that they can't and won't ever have. The worst part is all the apps that are starting to come out that will not be compatible with 1.x. Developers will want to put apps together that require some of the 2.x features. Those apps won't ever run on 1.x phones, and that's disappointing.

But the bottom line is that 2.x doesn't run well on the original hardware. And if that's the case, I'd rather have 1.4.5 on my original Pre.

What no one is acknowledging in this thread is that this isn't about 1.x vs. 2.x. This is about 3.x. That is, Palm GBU realized that they were going to have to radically change the operating system to make it work properly on the tablet. And 2.x wasn't it. They needed Enyo. Since Enyo can scale to small screens as well, it allows the same OS to run on big and small screens. That means the future is webOS 3.x, not 2.x. And the future is coming NOW. I don't know what the current Touchpad rumors are, but it's likely to be out in very short order. Back in February, they must have been working absolutely furiously on 3.x to prepare for the Touchpad launch. So they were faced with two choices: dedicate enough resources to the Touchpad to get it up to speed in time for a summer launch, or dedicate some resources to making 2.x work for the original Pre hardware. They chose to prepare for the Touchpad launch.

What would you have done if faced with the same set of choices? Would you choose to delay the Touchpad launch to get people on older hardware the latest version of the OS, which would then be outdated again in short order with the advent of 3.x on phones? Or would you cut some of your losses in that department and push on to get the Touchpad released as soon as you could?

Palm's biggest failing is in promising so strongly that the original hardware would get 2.x. This is a symptom of a plan that is changing so rapidly that it's out of date by the time you tell someone what is in it. I hope desperately that once the huge summer push is over, Palm can settle down, and get to work in a calmer, more efficient manner.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Palm's biggest failing is in promising so strongly that the original hardware would get 2.x. This is a symptom of a plan that is changing so rapidly that it's out of date by the time you tell someone what is in it. I hope desperately that once the huge summer push is over, Palm can settle down, and get to work in a calmer, more efficient manner.
    I don't care what they call it - but the specific promised features never delivered are what I'm irk'd about.
    I really don't feel as if they need to make anything right with me. However, any monetary incentive to stick with webOS would be accepted.
    @jbg

Has HP ever stated that it was a resource issue that had them choose not to work on upgrades for 1.4.5 devices? Do you know they are the largest PC manufacturer in the USA & most likely printers too? Isn't saying that resources was the issue nothing more than a big assumption on your part?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    @jbg

Has HP ever stated that it was a resource issue that had them choose not to work on upgrades for 1.4.5 devices? Do you know they are the largest PC manufacturer in the USA & most likely printers too? Isn't saying that resources was the issue nothing more than a big assumption on your part?
    What does being the biggest PC & Printer mfg have to do with devoting resources to an OS for phones that is new to them?
    The bones are dry and bleached white from the sun, talk about whipping a dead horse, lol.... Look what Apple did to the original iphone users when they came out just one year later with the iphone 2, a much improved phone for half the money, did Apple make it right? Off course not. Phones, cars, computers, etc. becomes outdated, just a fact of life, deal with it and move on please.
    no but what apple did do was make it so that if you were upgrading from an apple device to an apple device you didn't have to wait until you were eligible on your contratc. That way you could upgrade for contract pricing instead of the ridiculous off contract price. Which in my opinion is pretty nice, especially when you can more thab make your money back via ebay...unfortunately for HPalm they don't put outnew hardware in a timely fashion and need to be more creative.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Look what Apple did to the original iphone users when they came out just one year later with the iphone 2, a much improved phone for half the money, did Apple make it right? Off course not. Phones, cars, computers, etc. becomes outdated, just a fact of life, deal with it and move on please.
    Huh? I thought the complaint was not about new webOS devices, but about supporting WebOS 2 on older devices. Apple supported the original iPhone with 2 more major iPhone OS releases. Even after they warned they wouldn't be able to support all of the features of iPhone OS 3.0 due to hardware constraints, they still supported it till 3.1.3.

HP needs to maintain current webOS user base and provides incentives for them to stick with webOS for now and adopt newer devices when ready.

If the incentive is an allowance to buy apps, those app purchases will help attract developers too.

I think "making things right" is for the benefits of everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    The only thing I worry about with the "making things right" pledge is they are setting themselves up for failure. Lets be homest, they aren't going to do anything really spectacular.
    Quoted for extreme truthiness.

There is no offer they can make, especially so long after breaking such lack and white promises, that is going to make all the people hey ticked off happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickwestland View Post
    Huh? I thought the complaint was not about new webOS devices, but about supporting WebOS 2 on older devices. Apple supported the original iPhone with 2 more major iPhone OS releases. Even after they warned they wouldn't be able to support all of the features of iPhone OS 3.0 due to hardware constraints, they still supported it till 3.1.3.

HP needs to maintain current webOS user base and provides incentives for them to stick with webOS for now and adopt newer devices when ready.

If the incentive is an allowance to buy apps, those app purchases will help attract developers too.

I think "making things right" is for the benefits of everyone.
    You are exactly correct. HP only made two promises before the February debacle.

1. The legacy users who have stood by us will be able to get an OTA update to 2.x which will include flash.
    2. We're done making announcements about WebOS for "the coming months." From here on out we will be making all announcements when a new device or update will be available in a matter of weeks.

The mythical 'make it right' offer was in regards to #1, because they screwed over a huge number of original Pre owners who bought the device based at least in part on the promise of flash.
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    You are exactly correct. HP only made two promises before the February debacle.

1. The legacy users who have stood by us will be able to get an OTA update to 2.x which will include flash.
    2. We're done making announcements about WebOS for "the coming months." From here on out we will be making all announcements when a new device or update will be available in a matter of weeks.

The mythical 'make it right' offer was in regards to #1, because they screwed over a huge number of original Pre owners who bought the device based at least in part on the promise of flash.
    Incorrect.

I challenge you to find a quote from anyone at Palm or HP that promised OTA upgrades (important note - upgrades are not necessarily the same as OTA upgrades).

This is how rumors "expand".
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What does being the biggest PC & Printer mfg have to do with devoting resources to an OS for phones that is new to them?
    OMG, this is THE CLOSEST I have come from falling out of my chair laughing!!!!

Did you read this main page article today: How will HP beat the competition (Apple/Google)? Apotheker knows. [Video] | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

The beloved CEO said: "Because we happen to be the world's largest PC maker and we happen to be the world's largest printer maker." It is HP's strength in those devices that he says gives proof to the potential they have in creating a self-sustaining webOS ecosystem for both enterprise customers and your every-day consumers.

So, here you are asking what being the largest pc/printer manufacturer has to do with webOS and Apotheker is saying that is the reason why they will be successful!!

Couldn't have planned to the two opposing view points any differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    OMG, this is THE CLOSEST I have come from falling out of my chair laughing!!!!

Did you read this main page article today: How will HP beat the competition (Apple/Google)? Apotheker knows. [Video] | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

The beloved CEO said: "Because we happen to be the world's largest PC maker and we happen to be the world's largest printer maker." It is HP's strength in those devices that he says gives proof to the potential they have in creating a self-sustaining webOS ecosystem for both enterprise customers and your every-day consumers.

So, here you are asking what being the largest pc/printer manufacturer has to do with webOS and Apotheker is saying that is the reason why they will be successful!!

Couldn't have planned to the two opposing view points any differently.
    I think you're getting a bit carried away with your own hype.

Yes, being the largest has something to do with creating a self-sustataing ecosystem. That is definitely not the same thing as devoting resources to a dying OS.

Now please, get back in your chair and put some more thought into things
    From Engadget Feb 9th interview with Rubenstein:

Jon was pretty candid with us, saying that Palm had "missed a product cycle" in the midst of its financial troubles and subsequent acquisition by HP last year, and that the older products simply don't have the horsepower to properly run webOS 2.0 and beyond. That said, it's clear that he wants to do right by customers -- he told us that HP would do "something special" for owners of older hardware when the Pre 3, the Veer, and the TouchPad hit the market.

Original Pre, Pre Plus, Pixi and Pixi Plus won't get updated to webOS 2.0 -- Engadget
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast