Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    This thread is hilarious.

IMO: Corporations exist to make money. "making it right" will be based on what will make them the most money. They don't want a bunch of angry ******* talking trash about their product, but giving out $X dollar rebates to thousands of people adds up to real money quick.

I think it was smart not to release 2.1 to the Pre. It doesn't run well without overclocking, and it's buggy as hell. The average user would have had a phone that performed worse (especially the Pre- owners). And don't compare the 800MHz Veer to an 800MHz Pre, they are different processers, so apples to oranges.

Most people posting in this forum agree that webos is better than anything else out there. You should want HP and webOS to succeed so that the world stops being iTakenover.
    As much as you are right about what you said. People here feel they were burned and abused by Hpalm. They want their pound of flesh from HP. It may be real money that's true. It's also real money lost to the same people they were going to sell this to. That and the fact that these same people are the ones that after all the hoopla are the true sellers of the product.

So its a choice give them a bone or suffer from even more abysmal sales. Along with a good contingent of people very willing to trash them at the drop of a hat.

Oh wait this is HP "We are TOO BIG to even notice you". Ok then see ya in a year when it's a tax write off.
    Forget 2.x....we were supposed to get doc editing, flash support, and probably something else but I'm getting sleepy and can't recall. Some of us bought the Pre- because we loved the OS AND we were being told it would have these other features. THAT IS WHAT I'm P I S S E D ABOUT and THAT is what they need to make right.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Forget 2.x....we were supposed to get doc editing, flash support, and probably something else but I'm getting sleepy and can't recall. Some of us bought the Pre- because we loved the OS AND we were being told it would have these other features. THAT IS WHAT I'm P I S S E D ABOUT and THAT is what they need to make right.
    Exactly. Half the posters in this thread seem to have forgotten about those promises made to early adopters. The promise of 2.x is not the first broken promise.

I am one of those early adopters. And I still want a new WebOS phone. Cause I love my Pre. But that doesn't mean I wasn't lied to from the beginning.
    What's really funny is, this thread there are basically two camps: "Palm/HP whiners over a broken promise", and then you have the "Whiners who whine about how the Palm/HP whiners are whining" a.k.a the "HP owes you nothing" crowd. We're all just a big bunch of whiners.

But let's cut to the bottomline and the real bottomline of the day: Palm/HP <<messed>> up big in their marketing department delivering and retracting all these false promises, then expecting people to forget about them. Noticing I'm blaming marketing rather than the engineers.

I personally would've much preferred back then if they outright said "they will look into the feasibility of 2.x on the old devices" and then tell us it can't be done, rather than what they are saying now, the "yes, yes we will release it" along with the "sorry we can't do it, we'll make things right in the coming weeks". Same end result but in my books a different pill to swallow for the customer. I do software development work too and fully understand what it's like. Except in my line of business, if we did what Palm did and kept making these promises, someone's job is at risk.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 05/21/2011 at 08:49 AM. Reason: language
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    What bugs me more than not getting 2.0 (or Flash, document editing, push notification...) is the completely disjointed handling of the news at Think Beyond. HP should have been prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    It's on their web page that they are doing something.
    http://ws.palm.com/WebOsChecker/seri...ectedCarrierH=
    Although that coming weeks is slowly becoming just like their other "coming weeks".
    We're now 101 days from Think Beyond with still no news.

I think linh.nguyen said it best:
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    Of course we want HP to succeed, but making empty promises is not a good start to that. I'd rather they had just said "we blew it, webOS 2 is not getting back ported" and left it at that. The added "we'll make things right" creates this whole atmosphere that we now expect something because they said so.

If they just came out and said "we're giving you credit" either in the app catalog or the phone itself... it could finally end the wondering. Or just admit "yeah, we thought we could sneak in webOS 2 somehow, but we couldn't" then this all could end.
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
  6.    #46  
    I would like people to understand back in 2009, Palm was predicted to be dying.

You all can argue about what HP marketing department or engineer did or didn't do. But the first wave of 1-2 million of users, took the plunge with an uncertain company (people were literally asking if the phone will be serviced if Palm were to be out of business), spent $200 for a phone which was attacked for the build quality very early on.

In this competitive environment, with so many options in front of us, users like these are called "loyal users"for a very good reason. Instead of being rewarded, we were deceived, disappointed, again and again and again.

There are economics, there are profits, and then there are reputations and whats right thing to do. We are loyal users, but we aren't stupid, if HPalm want to keep this "dumb you, suck it up" attitude, it will be downhill from now on for this company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinfusor View Post
    We're now 101 days from Think Beyond with still no news.
    We won't get "news" until the Pre 3 is released, and probably not until it's released by multiple carriers.

Would any of the complainers on here really be happy with the news that Pre (and Pre Plus) owners would get a discount on a Veer?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    We won't get "news" until the Pre 3 is released, and probably not until it's released by multiple carriers.

Would any of the complainers on here really be happy with the news that Pre (and Pre Plus) owners would get a discount on a Veer?
    nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I would like people to understand back in 2009, Palm was predicted to be dying.

You all can argue about what HP marketing department or engineer did or didn't do. But the first wave of 1-2 million of users, took the plunge with an uncertain company (people were literally asking if the phone will be serviced if Palm were to be out of business), spent $200 for a phone which was attacked for the build quality very early on...
    The problem with this post (and I left the rest off just for brevity, the problem is with the entire post, and the attitude) is that you write it as if you speak for all of those loyal users.

You don't.

I ignored the "Palm is dying" talk when I bought my Pre because I had heard the same talk so many times before (and I've heard them since, but that's a whole 'nother topic). I didn't buy because of any promises, perceived or otherwise. I knew I was buying a new phone with no track record. I still enjoy that phone, in spite of any problems it had.

I don't feel cheated, lied to, deceived, or any of the other claims you're making. Yes, I want HP to "make things right", because they said they were going to. They haven't broken that promise (yet), and I'm willing to wait until their new products are out before I pass judgement on it.

As for the other so called broken promises and lies; sorry, they weren't lies, nor were they broken promises. The company did what they could, and that's what I expected them to do. They probably could have done some of those things better, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Bottom line, I'm happy with the company, and happy with the product. Those that aren't should find a company and product they are happy with.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    As for the other so called broken promises and lies; sorry, they weren't lies, nor were they broken promises. The company did what they could, and that's what I expected them to do. They probably could have done some of those things better, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Bottom line, I'm happy with the company, and happy with the product. Those that aren't should find a company and product they are happy with.
    Palm promised the world and delivered on few of their promises. Rubenstein himself promised flash support for the pre, never happened. I wouldn't be bothered if the Pre2 was sold by more carriers but it's not.

Sling Player; this was on the original slide/ad for the pre, it's 2 years later and it has not materialized. They said it won't come out until flash is supported, ok flash is in the pre2 and veer... where is it?

Doc editing was promised right after the pre was launched... still waiting.

Maybe some people are apologists (which I don't think you are) and will take whatever a company says, then doesn't do as not a lie or a promise, but I tend to hold people to their word. If they don't, I'm not angry, I simply will never buy their products again.

Money talks and HP is losing money even before the palm acquisition. After hasn't improved. Public perception drives buying and if h/palm is seen as a liar, thief or what have you, people won't buy from you. Then add to the fact that the pre had hardware issues that people still talk about to this day and it starts to look real ugly.

My official stance on buying a Pre3 is (and all products from now on) if it doesn't do what I want from day one. don't buy it. and this isn't just aimed at h/palm, that goes for the people getting burn with the blackberry playbook and motorola zoom.
    Pre, Pre+ owners.

what offer do you think HP will give us on Pre 3?
    first off, it's only for Sprint people so Pre- only. Secondly, it's looking like there's not going to be a Pre 3 on Sprint. Probably just the slab in august (or later knowing Palm/HP's history).
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    first off, it's only for Sprint people so Pre- only. Secondly, it's looking like there's not going to be a Pre 3 on Sprint. Probably just the slab in august (or later knowing Palm/HP's history).
    ? Why is it only for Sprint people ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Why only Sprint people? Everyone including Pre Plus users on VZW and ATT were promised WebOS 2.X but nobody ever officially recieved it.

On another note, why do you people think they will give you anything? HP is a huge corporation and the last thing they care about is giving some people on a forum a discount for a phone. They will sell the phone and no, none of you will receive a special reward for using a Pre - or a Pre +.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    If you were going to offer some kind of discount on the Pre3.... and were launching the Veer first.... would it make sense to hold off on announcing anything until a ways after the Veer launch so people with a discount waiting for them wouldn't hold off on getting a veer?
    My Pixi, god bless it's 1.45.x crap, is only about 10 months old. I expected 2 years of service and updates. Sure, I should have gotten a Pre2, but I didn't. Eitherway, I would have been left hanging with a new, and yet outdated, phone for 2 years.

I have an unsupported orphan, and I'm not the only one, that I expected to be supported and kept up to date.

I like webOS as much as I dislike iSheep. And I fear google will be just as bad in the future.

HP wants this new system of desktop, tablet and phone integration and I'm all for it. However, I do have a bit of a sour taste left from this experience. Not quite on par of MS, but close.

Thanks to all of you, especially WebOS Internals and those here, that have made my first foray into webOS as good as it can be.

If HP wants us to be happy, they need to follow through and make it right. Phone-for-phone credit is good. Or, as some have suggested, bundle the Tablet and phone for the same tablet only price. Let us get the word out....
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    Palm promised the world and delivered on few of their promises. Rubenstein himself promised flash support for the pre, never happened. I wouldn't be bothered if the Pre2 was sold by more carriers but it's not.

Sling Player; this was on the original slide/ad for the pre, it's 2 years later and it has not materialized. They said it won't come out until flash is supported, ok flash is in the pre2 and veer... where is it?
    Neither Flash nor Sling Player are Palm or HP products, you will need to talk to their developers about anything you think you have coming.

Doc editing was promised right after the pre was launched... still waiting.

...My official stance on buying a Pre3 is (and all products from now on) if it doesn't do what I want from day one. don't buy it. and this isn't just aimed at h/palm, that goes for the people getting burn with the blackberry playbook and motorola zoom.
    That was my stance on the Pre, maybe that's why I'm less disappointed than you.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Palm promised the world and delivered on few of their promises.
    Yes, there were some promises that were not kept (like doc editing and flash support), but I think many of the "promises" people refer to were a result of posts here on precentral, not from things HP actually promised.
    If you dont have experince on OC, then obviously I have more credit than you on that. I have been running it for months, no problem whatsoever.

Broken promise is what they did. Lie is what Rubinstein uttered to engadget reviewer after they broke the promise.

Really, what did rubenstein actually do for webOS? Other than force palm CEO to step down and then run palm to the ground? Steve jobs may want to hive him a bonus for the excellent job on killing palm.
    Meh, all people in power lie. Look at Obama.. said he would turn around the American economy and our Canadian dollar is higher now.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ... and failed promises come back to haunt them when people don't believe them in the future.

Which is the issue here. Palm said we would have it.. and we don't. HP said they would make it right.

If they don't.. that's their right. But why should we believe them when they say anything else?

e.g., they are telling us now that the Veer will get TTS. All we have is their word on it.

Basically what they lose is future credibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    ... and failed promises come back to haunt them when people don't believe them in the future.

Which is the issue here. Palm said we would have it.. and we don't. HP said they would make it right. If they don't.. that's their right. But why should we believe them when they say anything else? e.g., they are telling us now that the Veer will get TTS. All we have is their word on it.

Basically what they lose is future credibility.
    EXACTLY! If I could thank you more than once I would.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast