Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Nothing will happen. They're not going to bend over backwards to do anything special for existing customers that stuck with it. There's a sense of entitlement here and while many of us believe we are infact owed something, nothing will happen. It's not like a car that suddenly speeds up and won't stop. You won't die from using the Pre. Most of us will buy the dang Pre3 when it finally arrives (assuming avail on carrier) anyway. And as usual, Sprint users will be screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    They're not gonna offer anyone anything. They're gonna sell the phone.
    lol
    How about this: Any HP/Palm phone free with the purchase of a TouchPad :-) This seems reasonable to me. They probably have a higher profit margin on the TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    How about this: Any HP/Palm phone free with the purchase of a TouchPad :-) This seems reasonable to me. They probably have a higher profit margin on the TP.
    they could probably swing that if you would agree to a 2 yr for both devices on the carrier. They would probably still make a nice profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    If you dont have experince on OC, then obviously I have more credit than you on that. I have been running it for months, no problem whatsoever.
    You do have more experience on it, yes. And if you have a phone that handles it well, that's good for your experience. But since it's clocked past the point that TI said was safe and because there were phones shipped with hardware that could not safely handle higher speeds, rolling it out to general users would be an incredibly bad move that would only further damage the reputation of the Pre as having faulty hardware.

Broken promise is what they did. Lie is what Rubinstein uttered to engadget reviewer after they broke the promise.
    Perhaps you can clarify? If you're suggesting that the "making it right" line was a lie, we don't know that yet because the Pre3 hasn't been released. It may again be another broken promise, which doesn't do much for HP's credibility in this arena, but again is different than a lie if it was intended to happen at the time.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFL View Post
    Why would they need to make something right for a phone that is over 2 years old? I mean, if the Pre3 doesn't come to Sprint does that mean that it's HP's fault?
    1) Even the original Sprint Pre- is not over 2 years old yet--still a couple weeks to go for that anniversary.

2) HP/Palm said they would do something to make it right. I don't think they needed to make the promise, but they did.
    1. I think that as late as early January HP/Palm still intended for 2.1 to roll out to all devices.

2. At some point I believe they realized the upgrade was taking a lot of their resources away from future development, and that it was going to underperform anyway. A decision was made to pull the plug on that development.

3. I believe they didn't want this coming out on February 9th, but it did and to try to quell the firestorm Ruby made the off the cuff "make it right" comment.

4. I believe that had a contract with O2 (?) to deliver 2.1 to the Pre+ and O2 made them stick to it. So it was delivered "as is" and isn't fully baked. This is why 2.1 exists at all in the wild.

Will something be done to "make it right"? I think a token gesture that involves signing a new contract may happen. For the record, the Palm website still says this:

Your device is not able to support the new features of webOS 2.

Therefore, your device will not receive a webOS 2 update. The latest software version for your device is webOS 1.4.5.

We are working on alternative plans and will be sharing details in the coming weeks. Please come back to palm.com/webos-info to find out more.

Your current device:

Palm Pre Plus on Verizon.
    It's been saying that for many "coming weeks".
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    soon HP can take their TP and Pre3 and stick it......they made lots of promises they did not keep. Flash, 2.0........they owe us.

But screw the most loyal fans, great way to get me to buy an iPhone, I already have the Faster, lighter.... iPad2 with more apps than you need.

Brilliant plan HP, brilliant.

I will be off my 2 year plan real soon, sorry sprint.........Verizon looking better everyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    They're not gonna offer anyone anything. They're gonna sell the phone.
    +1
    I don't think anyone is entitled to anything. I do think it would be good customer relations/service for HP to live up to their "make it right" statement.

TV spot detailing their disappointment in not being able to deliver WebOS 2.1 to their existing customers. Followed by the details on how they will "make it right".

The next commercial is for thee Veer, Touchpad, and Pre3. It ends with, "HP, we ARE customer oriented. Try one of our new WebOS devices, you'll love it, because we made it right."
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    You do have more experience on it, yes. And if you have a phone that handles it well, that's good for your experience. But since it's clocked past the point that TI said was safe and because there were phones shipped with hardware that could not safely handle higher speeds, rolling it out to general users would be an incredibly bad move that would only further damage the reputation of the Pre as having faulty hardware.
    I think you are speculate too much. Your suggestion that this is completely a technical problem, is just wishful thinking. I believe there is corporate calculation involved for sure. And my own experience only confirms it. There are many thread talking about the OC kernel, vast majority users are happy with the OC.
    Perhaps you can clarify? If you're suggesting that the "making it right" line was a lie, we don't know that yet because the Pre3 hasn't been released. It may again be another broken promise, which doesn't do much for HP's credibility in this arena, but again is different than a lie if it was intended to happen at the time.
    no, when Rubenstein faced engadget reviewer, he said "lets be honest, the hardware on Pre, Pre+ just can't run webOS 2.x at acceptable performance".

Since that, they released webOS 2.x to some pre+, and webOS 2.x has been ported to both pre and Pre+. This website posted a video several month back showing how good it runs.

Thats the dishonest I was talking about, they made a political decision in abandoning users, then blame technical reasons.

It just shows Rubenstein and HP will never keep any promise when its not making them money.

Thats why people who want certain functions should make sure Pre3 does that out of box. Any promised "future update" is unreliable. You want flash? make sure Pre3 has it when you buy it. You want video chat? make sure pre3 can do that when you get it. you want netflix? make sure it's there when you buy it.

For me personally, if Hp put out a Pre3 with same slow email, same low level browser that can't even remember a password, and promise a "video conferencing" in "future update", I will simply not buy it.
    Not just for keeping their promise to "make things right", they need a very healthy adoption rate from their existing user base to succeed with their new webOS devices.
    As some others have said, I don't think they are going to do anything. I just can't see any "deals or offers" happening.
    I've lost faith they'll do anything. At this point, I just want to see it on sprint in June so I can make an informed decision. My Pre is getting more oreo'd and webOS 1.4.5 and the load time for the map app is just getting frustrating.
    First off, HP owes you nothing. Nor does any other corporation unless said corporation has caused undue harm to you or your family. In this case HP hasn't caused undue harm and any expectations of HP giving you a new and free webOS phone is the highest form of entitlement.

The carriers will have the ultimate say in how much they're going to sell a phone for. If HP does give you something it'll likely be a % off coupon towards one of their products. Personally, if you don't like that you always have the option of moving on to another operating system, which some of you have done or will do. If they feel the need to give you something, great and more power to them. But if they don't me anything so be it. I'm not standing around with my hand out waiting for HP or anyone else to give me something for free.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I think you are speculate too much. Your suggestion that this is completely a technical problem, is just wishful thinking. I believe there is corporate calculation involved for sure. And my own experience only confirms it. There are many thread talking about the OC kernel, vast majority users are happy with the OC.

no, when Rubenstein faced engadget reviewer, he said "lets be honest, the hardware on Pre, Pre+ just can't run webOS 2.x at acceptable performance".

Since that, they released webOS 2.x to some pre+, and webOS 2.x has been ported to both pre and Pre+. This website posted a video several month back showing how good it runs.
    I'm sure there is a corporate calculation. They could convert vast amounts of the OS to assembly code instead of C++ and Java, but that would cost too much to do so.

You're making presumptions that the average user is as technical as the average user here, and that's flat wrong. One of my best friends doesn't like to use PreWare when I installed it for her because it's not supported by Palm and she doesn't know what it will do. That knocks custom kernels out for her. And if HP chose to roll out a kernel that exceeded the specifications laid out by TI, TI would be well within their rights to tell HP that it was on its own and would get zero support.

I don't know what you do for a living. I make my living in network security, employed by a Fortune 250 company and working on contract at a government data center. I work on projects that affect, directly or indirectly, several million people. I am used to getting internal roadmaps from various companies shared under NDA. One of the things that I have to deal with is seeing something on a roadmap not show up in the actual product despite promises that it would even when we have worked with the vendor to design a project around that feature.

It's infuriating to see a major project get put on hold, but I have never, ever accused anyone from tech support to sales reps to developers -- with whom we do work closely -- of lying because they couldn't get something in. Even when it looks to me like they could have done it, they know more about the hardware than I do, have labbed it repeatedly, and have determined that it will not work on that hardware. Sometimes they have provided upgraded hardware at discounts or for free, and sometimes we have to buy a big pile of new electron pushers.

Short version: Unless you were in the labs, or know and can produce someone directly on the development or QA team who can say that it would run perfectly fine with less than a 0.1% failure rate (and even that would be catastrophic, as it would be thousands of phones), you are also speculating. The difference, so far as I can tell, is that you are speculating without understanding how development actually works.

Thats why people who want certain functions should make sure Pre3 does that out of box. Any promised "future update" is unreliable. You want flash? make sure Pre3 has it when you buy it. You want video chat? make sure pre3 can do that when you get it. you want netflix? make sure it's there when you buy it.
    That's just being a smart consumer. If something doesn't have what you must have, you find something else.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Last edited by Rennat; 05/21/2011 at 11:30 AM.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    This thread is hilarious.

IMO: Corporations exist to make money. "making it right" will be based on what will make them the most money. They don't want a bunch of angry ******* talking trash about their product, but giving out $X dollar rebates to thousands of people adds up to real money quick.

I think it was smart not to release 2.1 to the Pre. It doesn't run well without overclocking, and it's buggy as hell. The average user would have had a phone that performed worse (especially the Pre- owners). And don't compare the 800MHz Veer to an 800MHz Pre, they are different processers, so apples to oranges.

Most people posting in this forum agree that webos is better than anything else out there. You should want HP and webOS to succeed so that the world stops being iTakenover.
    Personally I'm not expecting much. If this was a device that worked properly. Had normal wear and tear. Just bringing a new device out at the end of contract would have been enough.

The thing is the clients that bought this P0S were abused from the get go. Shoddy hardware, poor coding updates ect. Even with this we still wanted something better. We heard about 2.0 and leapt for joy. Only to be crushed in knowing we were not getting it. Some had insurance and went into replacement merry go round. Others like myself that had never had a device so poorly made had to jump to android just to get something functional.

Now to make it right lets say you get another 25.00 off if you trade in your old Pre for a new Pre3 on carrier. Or send in your old Pre to HP for a new Pre3 @ discount rate say what would be on carrier. You would have a great deal of current and former Pre owners jumping at it.

Will it happen? Doubtful. Should it be that way? H3ll YES!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    This thread is hilarious.

IMO: Corporations exist to make money. "making it right" will be based on what will make them the most money. They don't want a bunch of angry ******* talking trash about their product, but giving out $X dollar rebates to thousands of people adds up to real money quick.

I think it was smart not to release 2.1 to the Pre. It doesn't run well without overclocking, and it's buggy as hell. The average user would have had a phone that performed worse (especially the Pre- owners). And don't compare the 800MHz Veer to an 800MHz Pre, they are different processers, so apples to oranges.

Most people posting in this forum agree that webos is better than anything else out there. You should want HP and webOS to succeed so that the world stops being iTakenover.
    The problem here is perception. Of course we want HP to succeed, but making empty promises is not a good start to that. I'd rather they had just said "we blew it, webOS 2 is not getting back ported" and left it at that. The added "we'll make things right" creates this whole atmosphere that we now expect something because they said so.

If they just came out and said "we're giving you credit" either in the app catalog or the phone itself... it could finally end the wondering. Or just admit "yeah, we thought we could sneak in webOS 2 somehow, but we couldn't" then this all could end.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast