Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I think I'd still go for a TouchPad in the hope that even if the Pre3 doesn't come to Sprint, some future device will.
    If it doesn't come to Sprint, I'll still probably get the tablet and look into getting a Pre2 modified to work on Sprint.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Probably not. Without touch to share, I'll stick with my iPad and either switch carriers for Pre3 or FrankenPre2.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    yes. for me having them linked is not a requirement. Actually surprised how many people are saying they will not buy one. Plus, you got to think every phone going forward will be compatible, so that's a good thing for those not getting the pre3.
    So why not buy an ipad 2 for the same price, get a more refined OS(not better but more stable - and remember that webOS 3.0 is going to be beta again for us) get a **** ton of apps and support, probably better performance and thinner lighter more accessories for cheaper, cheaper case, and the list goes on.

I love cards and stuff but logic is trying to convince me otherwise
    I'd like to be able to use my Touchpad with a Pre3 on my carrier of choice, but that has no bearing on whether or not I'll get a touchpad. it'll only effect whether or not I get another webOS phone.

Not only do I think the touchpad will be an awesome product on its own, I want webOS to succeed. My touchpad purchase would help convice Sprint to stock new webOS devices. If it does take off, they'd be foolish not to get into the action.
    I will get the Touchpad whether or not the Pre3 comes to my carrier. I currently have the Pre 2 and I'm very happy with it. I know TTS won't be compatible with the Pre 2, but why wouldn't the call and text forwarding work between the Touchpad and the Pre 2? It's just a bluetooth connection that forwards the calls and text messages.

-Skippy
    I personally want an entirely connected ecosystem. Therefore, synergy between platforms & ease of use, & ease of info transfer is my goal. So to answer the OP ?, I will not buy a Touch Pad if my carrier (Sprint) does not carry the Pre3. Actually, I will be forced to switch carriers in order to set up what I want to do with webOS. So my devotion is to webOS, not Sprint. I would hate to leave Sprint, but after 14 years of Sprint loyalty, Sprint will lose my entire families business if they don't carry a webOS phone. I guess I will wait to see which carrier has the greatest devotion to webOS in terms of a long term commitment. Come on Sprint, wake up, get over yourself, grow up & carry the Pre 3. Business is business, stop crying over spilled milk, ya got millions of customers to lose if ya shun webOS!!! Like ya can afford to alienate more customers!!!
    Interesting question...

Another Sprint user, the carrier who seems to be the only one out of the loop in this whole Pre3 thing. In the end though, I'll still buy one. I've come to love the cards. I'm a multitasking junkie, whether it be on my PC or my Pre-. I've constantly got several things going on at once, and to have the ability to move away from my PC (which I mainly use for net surfing and such), will be great. I'd be bummed out about the lack of connectivity, but one day I could switch to another carrier... Like when my contract runs out in September. It will be tough though, especially with the new Verizon news with tiered data plans and how unreasonably expensive it is. I won't move to AT&T for their garbage network though, and their attempt to monopolize the wireless industry.
    No, because my value for a tablet (from anyone) sits at $300 =)
    no, its two different products. my decision on each one of them won't affect the other. The TTS is gimmick that I dont care about.

plus, if Pre3 meet my standard, i have no problem switching network.

Toucpad probably will be a no from me, unless its dirty cheap.
    Nope. I need a tablet like I need.... well I don't need a tablet.
    Are you kidding Vyruz Reaper? You ask me if the Pre3 doesn't come to 'my' carrier? I'm alot like Chuck Norris, I don't have a carrier... The carriers have me. I would say, "were the Pre3 is, I am" but its more like "were ever I am, the Pre3 WILL be."
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Probably not. After ordering my 5th replacement Pre+ today, I'm not particularly thrilled with H/Palm products right now. I just can't see myself spending that much on something that I don't trust.
    Exhaust the body, Proceed the mind, Cultivate the spirit
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    no, its two different products. my decision on each one of them won't affect the other. The TTS is gimmick that I dont care about.

plus, if Pre3 meet my standard, i have no problem switching network.

Toucpad probably will be a no from me, unless its dirty cheap.
    TTS is pretty useless IMO. But taking calls and text msgs? I think that's a huge feature. However, I also think this should be capable of any tablet with BT. And any combination. I don't want to be tied HP like Apple does it. I want interoperability
    For me there is no relation to Pre 3 carrier support and a TouchPad purchase.... (BTW, PAlm needs to add "TouchPad" to the stock spell check <shakes head>) The more I go to certain areas, the more I hate Sprint.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    So why not buy an ipad 2 for the same price, get a more refined OS(not better but more stable - and remember that webOS 3.0 is going to be beta again for us) get a **** ton of apps and support, probably better performance and thinner lighter more accessories for cheaper, cheaper case, and the list goes on.

I know the iPad2 would sit around and not be leveraged for personal and business as much. I can see more use with the TouchPad and WebOS. While using an iPad, they just seem more like a toy... plus never owned an iPhone either; never owned an Apple PC/laptop - only iPods. Just not that into it.

Another reason for TouchPad is the possibility of leveraging future HP phones with it. When Touch-to-Share becomes more than URL transfer's, this could be useful. HP should also allow any Pre3/Veer or future phone to T2S to anyone's Touchpad - so what if some type of password or handshake needs to happen first for security.

So if I can justify a tablet purchase, the Touchpad is the first one I have seriously considered.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I suppose it depends on how one prioritizes OS preferences, given the timing of the release of the devices. I'm a longtime Mac user who got to play with a relative's iPad for a couple of months last year, and is now using a Pixi Plus on at&t for my business line. I'm hoping to get a Pre3 just before my family's August summer trip, that is, if it comes to at&t. If I were willing to wait a couple of more months, I'd probably get an iPhone 4S/5 for my personal phone. To me, even if I get a Pre3 I'd rather get an iPad 2 (and not a TP), because it's proven, has lots of apps, and it would be a family device for me. My plans may change, however, depending upon how the summer plays out.
    HP will get the Pre 3 on all the major carriers. The Veer did not make a ripple in the pond. The Pre 3 will make a splash.

Samsung is rolling out the Galaxy S II to 140 carriers in 120 countries and has promised investors 10 million by the end of the year. This joins 18 current Samsung models. HTC has 18. Motorola has 19.

HP would have no trouble doing the same thing. Think Beyond Samsung and HTC.

If HP goes big with the Pre 3, webOS will be a hit.

There are 100 million smartphones being sold a quarter. How many operating systems will a developer try to do at one time?

To be the fifth most popular OS, HP needs at least 4 million units a quarter.

The Pre 3 will be on your carrier. It has to be.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/21/2011 at 07:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Why do you want your phone to be always on you? Sounds like a ball and chain. Carrying your phone around your house is ridiculous.
    What? A ball and chain is a big heavy thing that doesn't allow you to move. Having a few ounces of plastic in your pocket is really that big of a deal to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post

The cards are why I would get a TP, and not an iPad. webOS is more productive than iOS, plain and simple. I also really dislike Apple, so I am very biased.

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

The Pre 3 will be on your carrier. It has to be.
    I don't think it will be. To believe as such, I would have had to see HP do something in the past that indicates a decent mobile strategy. They don't have one. They SHOULD put it to every carrier. But I don't see them doing it.

To answer the OP, I absolutely will get a TP, and absolutely won't get the pre3. I have an ExoPC now, and can't wait to replace it with a more touch friendly OS, but one that allows more productivity than iOS. Android comes in a close second, the new Google docs app is great, but I really like webOS, I want a webOS device, and they can't make phone hardware worth owning (I need 4G, specifically LTE, so the Pre 3 won't cut it for me). If later this year they were to release a Pre3 4G on Verizon, I would be tempted to ditch whatever phone I have at the time, and pay full price for it.
    Last edited by reggieb; 05/23/2011 at 11:29 AM.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Yes I will but not right away. I think I might get one for around christmas for a ccheaper price.

I am not buying a touchpad for phone calls and texts and TTS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast