Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So webOS 3.0 is for the TouchPad. If the Pre 3 eventually gets 3.0, are we to assume that it will have features like the TouchPad including notifications at the top and the ability to rotate the launcher in landscape mode?
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    So webOS 3.0 is for the TouchPad. If the Pre 3 eventually gets 3.0, are we to assume that it will have features like the TouchPad including notifications at the top and the ability to rotate the launcher in landscape mode?
    Probably. The most important thing would be ENYO apps. But some of the features such as swiping individual notifications will be there.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    yes
  4.    #4  
    I dont see why they wouldn't have the Operating systems for the tablet and the phones separate. Landscape launcher would be pretty cool. But notifications at the top would be too much like other Operating Systems (*cough* Android *cough*).
    In order to reduce the workload on the developers, having only one operating system is important.
    The current fragmentation (1.4.5 & 2.x & 3.x) is unsustainable.
    3.0 on a phone != 3.0 on a tablet. I would expect them to make the phone version of the OS more like the way 2.1 works now. Notifications on the bottom, single panel email... etc.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVisibleShadow View Post
    In order to reduce the workload on the developers, having only one operating system is important.
    Thats understandable. All the phones should have the same OS but a tablet is a different product all together. If they are going to have 3.0 on future phones eventually, why not launch Pre 3 and the Veer with 3.0 on them from the start?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Thats understandable. All the phones should have the same OS but a tablet is a different product all together. If they are going to have 3.0 on future phones eventually, why not launch Pre 3 and the Veer with 3.0 on them from the start?
    A tablet isn't that much different. It's just a larger canvas. I think they want more enyo development out there before they update the phones. They obviously have closed the door on 1.x devices. The only real fragmentation that exists is 2.x and 3.x and that is workable since the new devices are 3.x ready. I don't think the webos ecosystem is fully ready for 3.x right now so it will exist on tablets only for the time being.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    3.0 on a phone != 3.0 on a tablet. I would expect them to make the phone version of the OS more like the way 2.1 works now. Notifications on the bottom, single panel email... etc.
    well, one of the main features of webOS3.0 (and enyo) is its ability to detect the size of the device and alter the layout accordinly. its very possible that notifications will remain on the bottom on phones, because that makes sense for one handed use.

i dont think they are making a "phone version" per se, just one version that is smart enough to know which device it is on and play nicely.
    It was stated that the Pre 3 would be able to run Enyo apps without webOS 3.0.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVisibleShadow View Post
    I don't think that is really the issue. Keep in mind that 1.4.5 will be abandoned.

I cannot imagine that there couldn't be two different versions of the OS. Tablet and Phone. Eventually, all phones getting updated will be at the "same" OS level from Palm - after that it is a carrier issue.

I think the tablet version of the OS is what will appear on PC's in the future also, not the phone version.
    Dan
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Probably. The most important thing would be ENYO apps. But some of the features such as swiping individual notifications will be there.
    I hope they make an ENYO Facebook app. Just because I'd like saying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Keep in mind that 1.4.5 will be abandoned.
    Version 1.4.5 will reach the end of its support life. There's a difference between that and abandonment.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    3.0 means no gestures on phone. If you argue this then that means there will be different versions of the os. There are other characteristics and attributes besides visual scale like notifications, email, gestures, etc. You still have to code accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    3.0 means no gestures on phone. If you argue this then that means there will be different versions of the os. There are other characteristics and attributes besides visual scale like notifications, email, gestures, etc. You still have to code accordingly.
    Not true.

Gestures are and will be supported on the smartphones - just not the tablets.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

my point exactly, my comment was in regards to a single os version
    It may still be untrue even if it all converges on 3.0. Windows has different capabilities for different hardware. It's all a matter of drivers.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    I bet there's a reason why the current FB app has been silent. I hope this is available right out of the box.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    Richard Kerris has said that they are currently working on an enyo facebook app.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    It's encouraging to see people saying gestures will remain on the phones, and notifications might remain on the bottom on those phones. I'm a fan of both these things.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast