Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Not true.

Gestures are and will be supported on the smartphones - just not the tablets.
    Actually I think this is true. Future phones will not have gesture areas. That picture of the "stingray" showed a phone without a gesture area.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Actually I think this is true. Future phones will not have gesture areas. That picture of the "stingray" showed a phone without a gesture area.
    No one knows if future small devices will have gesture areas or not, especially not based on a picture.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    No one knows if future small devices will have gesture areas or not, especially not based on a picture.
    Well since enyo has been said to not support a gesture area, I think it's a pretty good bet that the gesture area is thing of the past on phones. The biggest deal HP has said about webos is that they will put it on printers and computers. Both of these devices will not have gesture areas. The first tablet they have made does not have a gesture area. I thinks it's pretty apparent the gesture area is going away.

The Pre 3 and the Veer both have been said to support 3.0 so I'm not sure what that means for the gesture area on both devices. That stingray phone has a very thin area under the screen that is similar to what we see on other slabs and not what we are used to on current webos phones. But yes I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    This is amusing. Apple has two different versions of iOS for the iPhone. One for Verizon and the other for AT&T. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $webOS$ $3$.$0$ $will$ $be$ $the$ $same$ $regardless$ $of$ $the$ $carrier$. $So$ $to$ $say$ $HP$ $HAS$ $to$ $have$ $one$ $version$ $when$ $their$ $devices$ $launch$ $is$ $crazy$. $Besides$, $HP$ $plans$ $to$ $put$ $webOS$ $on$ $EVERYTHING$. $There$ $will$ $come$ $a$ $time$ $where$ $the$ $webOS$ $on$ $your$ $printer$ $is$ $not$ $the$ $one$ $on$ $your$ $phone$.
    notifications will not go to the top on phones, there is a lot more room on the top bar allowing this on the touchpad, however, there is very little spare room up there for notifications.

but I am hoping for landscape mores in more of the base apps
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    This is amusing. Apple has two different versions of iOS for the iPhone. One for Verizon and the other for AT&T. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $webOS$ $3$.$0$ $will$ $be$ $the$ $same$ $regardless$ $of$ $the$ $carrier$. $So$ $to$ $say$ $HP$ $HAS$ $to$ $have$ $one$ $version$ $when$ $their$ $devices$ $launch$ $is$ $crazy$. $Besides$, $HP$ $plans$ $to$ $put$ $webOS$ $on$ $EVERYTHING$. $There$ $will$ $come$ $a$ $time$ $where$ $the$ $webOS$ $on$ $your$ $printer$ $is$ $not$ $the$ $one$ $on$ $your$ $phone$.
    They don't have to have one version but they want one version. This is their pitch to developers. Design your app once and it will work perfectly on a phone, tablet, computer, printer, and what ever else HP plans to put webos on. They don't have to follow the Apple model just because that has worked for Apple. Their model is based on what they feel will be the most efficient for development on the platform and that is one OS version across all platforms.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a new handset (or handsets) after the launch of the TouchPad that showcase 3.0 and have a removed gesture area. I honestly don't think the gesture area will be around forever on webOS phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    3.0 means no gestures on phone. If you argue this then that means there will be different versions of the os. There are other characteristics and attributes besides visual scale like notifications, email, gestures, etc. You still have to code accordingly.
    what?!?!?!
    i'm sorry thats a pretty ridiculous comment

the gesture area is just a method of inputs. like a keyboard. the OS either recognizes it present (true) or nonpresent (false) and behaves accordingly. you don't need to have a different version of the OS.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/19/2011 at 08:36 PM.
    how can you "see" that the phone didnt have a gesture area? The gesture area is a touch sensitive bezel. it doesn't have any defining visual characteristics...
    Well since enyo has been said to not support a gesture area, I think it's a pretty good bet that the gesture area is thing of the past on phones. The biggest deal HP has said about webos is that they will put it on printers and computers. Both of these devices will not have gesture areas. The first tablet they have made does not have a gesture area. I thinks it's pretty apparent the gesture area is going away.

The Pre 3 and the Veer both have been said to support 3.0 so I'm not sure what that means for the gesture area on both devices. That stingray phone has a very thin area under the screen that is similar to what we see on other slabs and not what we are used to on current webos phones. But yes I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Enyo has not been said to lack support for the gesture area. In fact the opposite is true. The feb9th presentation showed enyo apps running on the Pre3, using the gesture area to navigate instead of the "sliding frames" on the touchpad.

why are people so confused by this?
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/19/2011 at 08:36 PM.
    Hi all,

I am the first one to admit that I'm in over my head...so here it goes....the Pre3 is coming with a version of webOS 2.xx and will be upgraded to
    webOS 3.xx...

Is that correct??

I just assumed webOS 3.xx was for the TouchPad. However, it makes sense to have webOS 3.xx on the Pre3 since it is being touted as "a package" where the Pre3 & the TouchPad compliment each other...

Thanks a s always & take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Palms developer site states that the touchpad is capable of supporting a virtual gesture area below the app window for those apps that require it. With that, developing for Pre 3's and touchpads should be easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    I hope they make an ENYO Facebook app. Just because I'd like saying it.
    +2000

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Looking for guidance on developing email me for some good sources of info please, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

I am the first one to admit that I'm in over my head...so here it goes....the Pre3 is coming with a version of webOS 2.xx and will be upgraded to
    webOS 3.xx...

Is that correct??

I just assumed webOS 3.xx was for the TouchPad. However, it makes sense to have webOS 3.xx on the Pre3 since it is being touted as "a package" where the Pre3 & the TouchPad compliment each other...

Thanks a s always & take care,

Jay
    you are right. the Touchpad is being released with 3.0 and the pre3 with 2.x. But 3.0 isnt just for the touchpad; it embodies the future of webOS. it has been developed with multiple formfactors in mind.

As far as the guesture area goes, 3.0 supports it, but the Touchpad doesnt have the hardware for it. a similar example would be how Honeycomb supports keyboards, but the android tablets don't have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    you are right. the Touchpad is being released with 3.0 and the pre3 with 2.x. But 3.0 isnt just for the touchpad; it embodies the future of webOS. it has been developed with multiple formfactors in mind.

As far as the guesture area goes, 3.0 supports it, but the Touchpad doesnt have the hardware for it. a similar example would be how Honeycomb supports keyboards, but the android tablets don't have one.
    Hi,

Thank you!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Well, I believe that there is a difference between "no gestures" and "no gestures area"...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Well, I believe that there is a difference between "no gestures" and "no gestures area"...

Best Regards...
    Hi all,

Since I'm still with a Centro I thought perhaps since I don't have any experience with webOS that is why I was confused by these two statements....however not having a gesture are and having one confused the heck out of me.

Take care,

Jay
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12