View Poll Results: Will Sprint Carry The New HP Pre 3 In 2011?

Voters
424. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

175 41.27%
  • MAYBE

103 24.29%
  • NO

83 19.58%
  • "WHEN PIGS LEARN HOW TO FLY"

63 14.86%
Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Sprint isn't losing money, in fact the most recent filing for earnings saw them rise from 7 billion to 8 billion. How is that loosing money?

Sprint revenue rises, adds subscribers
    That number (8 billion) is income NOT profit:

"Fourth quarter revenue rose 6% to $8.3 billion. Sprintís net loss fell from $980 million in the same period last year to $929 million"*

So for the same period where they took in $8 billion +, they had costs/expenses of almost $9 billion for a net loss of $929 million. Better than they did the year before but still losing money. Good news is they are not losing existing customers as fast as they had been and are picking up more new ones. They did (by their standards anyway) very well in December with their Android/Evo push and disounts in signing up new people. As one regional Sprint rep told me "The Evo and Android saved our butts, the Evo brought people in even if they wound up buying something else." At BB, a lot of people walked out with the free LG Optimus phone, our BB could not keep them in stock.

Next earnings report is on the 26th I think so we will get to see if the good Christmas numbers are holding up.

*Read more: Sprint Shrugs Off iPhone With Good Earnings - 24/7 Wall St. Sprint Shrugs Off iPhone With Good Earnings - 24/7 Wall St.
    I spoke to Sprint cust service today. Had to call to claim my $5 'premier' anniversary loyalty credit - they emailed me the offer yesterday, said I would have to click into the website, but the offer wasn't there. Did it on the phone without much hassle.

The CSR wanted me to renew my contract, I said I was waiting for the Pre 3, he looked through his system, seemed to know about the phone, but no release date

I made it clear I'm loyal to the OS, not to Sprint, and will renew or leave once Pre 3 availability is known
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    Gotta ask, because I've heard this many times before, but exactly how do you get a free Airrave? I live in an area Sprint terms "marginal" and I get between 0-1 bars at home. I often find my Pre switching to roaming (as did my Treo before that) in my home. I have asked about this (particularly the roaming issue) and they have told me that I could buy an Airrave (and then pay the monthly service for it) to solve my problem. Since I don't really have a dropped call problem, and other than my battery getting really hot and draining quickly, I can live with it, but I keep hearing people saying they solved their problems with a "free femtocel." Are there magic words?
    You can't ask for a free one, because then you're just greedy. I did it by reporting coverage issues every few months. They had a record in the account and offered it up freely. It may also depend on whether they have them in stock.

I had no intentions on the call of getting a free AirRave. I just wanted them to be aware of the gap, and maybe tweak a local tower or set up a new one. There are three towers within two miles of my apartment, but I don't know if Sprint uses any of them. I was pleasantly surprised when they offered it, then found out the hard way that they don't do data (which isn't a problem because I usually use WiFi at home anyway).
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    I thought that's why they bought Palm? For the software?

A hardware manufacturer that doesn't do software (let alone OSs) buying a company with their own software (including an OS) seems like pretty good business sense. HP doesn't do software? Well, Palm did, and they were pruetty good at it.

Let's hope the "synergy" is there in this acquisition.
    The success of hw companies buying and integrating sw companies is not good. Heck, hw companies buying hw companies is not good! You have separate cultures, different methodologies, and major integration and upgrade issues, to say the least. At a minimum, Palm is not Palm anymore. The visionaries are gone, the Palm OS guys are LONG gone, and the migration to 2.x has been poor. They have already failed once (2.x on Pre/Pixi!) and could be on the cusp of doing it again with 3.x. The quality of 3.x will determine if they are taken seriously or not in the SP market. The market is not going to "slow down" and wait for HP to catch up.

We will know in the next six months if HP is going to be a player (and therefore webOS!) or not. Announcements are easy ... reliable and functional products in a timely fashion is much HARDER! With HP, webOS will never die as it was a great business decision, and their stated goal is to do what Apple is doing: proprietary hardware and software so they can have larger margins. If you don't like what Apple is doing, you are not going to like what HP is going to be doing ...
    If Sprint waits to release it against the iPhone5, then they've already doomed it to failure. It'll end up swept under the rug, just like the Pre was. HP has to do a better job of marketing the Pre 3. Make the public want it & the carriers will fall in line.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    That number (8 billion) is income NOT profit:

"Fourth quarter revenue rose 6% to $8.3 billion. Sprintís net loss fell from $980 million in the same period last year to $929 million"*

So for the same period where they took in $8 billion +, they had costs/expenses of almost $9 billion for a net loss of $929 million. Better than they did the year before but still losing money. Good news is they are not losing existing customers as fast as they had been and are picking up more new ones. They did (by their standards anyway) very well in December with their Android/Evo push and disounts in signing up new people. As one regional Sprint rep told me "The Evo and Android saved our butts, the Evo brought people in even if they wound up buying something else." At BB, a lot of people walked out with the free LG Optimus phone, our BB could not keep them in stock.

Next earnings report is on the 26th I think so we will get to see if the good Christmas numbers are holding up.

*Read more: Sprint Shrugs Off iPhone With Good Earnings - 24/7 Wall St. Sprint Shrugs Off iPhone With Good Earnings - 24/7 Wall St.
    Thanks for the correction but my point still stands: they are doing better and if they continue like they are, they will not be "loosing money". Also the whole they lost subscribers is true but somwthing ppl never told u is it was from nextel. Nextel being for businesses mostly dropped nextel back when the economy was bad and they needed to save money. That lead to a number of subscriber lost. That's according to dan hesse, btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Sprint is losing almost a billion dollars a quarter. At this rate of improvement they will stop losing money in about five years. My point is that they seem to be retaining customer by offering the lowest rates - at the expense of margins.
    Well I don't think it's the rates. They have been cheaper for awhile and shedding customers. It's all about the improved customer service and at least a sense that they value long time customers. So I can only say if they want show some good customer service, they should give into our demands and carry the Pre3.
    Global Posts
    354 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    I feel like this... if I have to pay extra for "premium" data I may as well get a 4G phone and get my monies worth. Unfortunately the only thing that lives up to that requirement on Sprint is a Android phone... so be it I guess...

I just wish HP saw beyond yesteryear and created a 4G device available this Summer...
    I hear you! I was trying to convince myself to possibly buy the Pre3 with no 4G, but the Evo 3D keeps calling me lol
    - Sent from my HTC Evo 3D
    Verizon better get that slab WebOS phone or I'm going to iPhone or Blackberry.
    Sprint is losing almost a billion dollars a quarter. At this rate of improvement they will stop losing money in about five years. My point is that they seem to be retaining customer by offering the lowest rates - at the expense of margins.
    That's fair enough. But their pricing did rise by ten dollars on all cell phones.
    Sprint will get webOS phones and i believe they will get the pre3 as well . will they be the first ?? now that i dont know . and while i believe that sprint is testing (a different word was used when i was told of this, cant remember what he said i think he said certification process)the pre3, it does not mean they will accept it . i just go by what i am told from a friend on the inside . is my friend always right well so far yes but there is always an off chance something goes wrong. and hey you guys will love the veer its a very well done phone for sure ! just sayin ;-)
    ĦṔ-ḶÝōṫ-Ŧḯōη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    i wonder if veer will come out for sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by zacky59 View Post
    i wonder if veer will come out for sprint.
    att first im sure but you never know ??!!
    ĦṔ-ḶÝōṫ-Ŧḯōη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    ahah, yeahh.... i cussed sprint's life out today i was like no wonder why your the second smallest carrier now, all you stick to is andriod! and way more haha.
    it was funny.
    If they keep losing money like that they won't BE AROUND in five years. Dan Hesse will be gone by the end of the year if he hasn't improved the bottom line significantly better than to date. Look at the intense effort Sprint is making to convince the Feds to block the T-Mobile sale to AT&T. If that goes through Sprint is in serious trouble from all fronts. They have stopped the bleeding on customers leaving Sprint, but they (Dan?) have done very little on the bottom line ...
    Last edited by geewhiz; 04/23/2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: correction
    Would it be in Verizon's best interests to just buy Sprint eventually like ATT bought T-Mobile?
    RadioShack? really?.... really?...
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Would it be in Verizon's best interests to just buy Sprint eventually like ATT bought T-Mobile?
    The FCC will never allow only two cell phone companies.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint is merging with google next year so it will get the latest android devices first Pre3 will come to sprint but not til sept with WiMax
    "crickets and tumbleweeds" Gotta love that comment
    Props to you for your rant as I share your sentiment. HP(alm) has made a HUGE mistake with (once again) allowing too HUGE a gap in product announcement and release. To compare to success, there are many reasons WHY Apple products sell so well, one of which is that they're OBTAINABLE within WEEKS after Mr Job's "perfect" pitch. THIS is what HP needs to do. I'm afraid it'll be too late, again. What a shame.
Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast