View Poll Results: Will Sprint Carry The New HP Pre 3 In 2011?

Voters
424. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

175 41.27%
  • MAYBE

103 24.29%
  • NO

83 19.58%
  • "WHEN PIGS LEARN HOW TO FLY"

63 14.86%
Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
    Unforunatly I also agree . I speak to phone execs all the time at my job and they could care less about Palm and Hp or Webos stuff or the few webos user left at sprint. .alot of people have Mentioned it many times. they are all about Android . thats where there money is . Unfortunate for us Sprint users but its reality.

Quote Originally Posted by jrdejavux View Post
    I have to agree
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 04/19/2011 at 08:38 AM.
    probably the same rep who told me why dont i get a pixi...i asked why?..cause its replacing the pre...whaa?

i was too dumfounded to respond, i think my brain shut down for a second...i really wish i was on a chat session, cause he said some other things and i was just amazed at his "knowledge"

but atleast he didnt try to move me away from webos so he gets half a point for that

Quote Originally Posted by glenf42 View Post
    Well I know most of us are skeptics.. but here it is.

Re: Care #20110321140322260 (Equipment - General Inquiry) (KMM84093521V86231L0KM)‏

Dear Glen XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Sprint. I appreciate your interest in the HP
    Palm Pre 3 handset.

The HP Palm Pre 3 is scheduled to be launched. However, we do not have
    any specific date that when it is going to be launched. Once it is
    launched, it will be updated on the website.

We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to answer your
    questions. Please reply to this email or visit sprint.com if we can be
    of assistance.

Sincerely,
    Andy B.
    Sprint

I had e-mailed them saying..

Form: Ask A Question-Manage
    Topic: Equipment
    SUB Topic: General Inquiry
    =============================================================
    Original Question:
    Question: Are there any plans to bring the HP Palm Pre 3 to the Sprint
    network?
    =============================================================
    Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
    Correction: HP is the biggest computer HARDWARE seller in the world. Outside of their printer drivers (takes them forever to get them stable and working right - wait! that sounds like webOS ...), and duplicate utilities they ship on their PCs, that's about it. They have made a dent - 1% ...
    Off-topic.. but you might want to check yours stats.... Globally, HP was first in the whole PC market with 17.9% of the sales (according to Gartner's Q4 report).

<<thread cleansed>>
    Please folks... lets stay back on-topic now. Thanks
    My theory is still this: HP would have never promised to "make things right" if they knew they couldn't fulfill that promise. In other words, to make things right, they would need to be able to address users on Verizon, ATT, and Sprint (speaking strictly of the U.S. here). My hope is that when that statement was made, HP was well under way with carrier qualifications behind the scenes and they were all just about a guaranteed (or it was just another Apotheker moment, but let's not go there).

Also, if there was an exclusivity with one carrier, I think HP would be able to announce that early. If HP is courting 3 or more carriers, I suspect they need to stay silent until all parties are on board. Disclaimer: I have no experience with with the business side of mobile devices, so my theory might be one big pile of pooh.
    Sometimes i feel like going over to the Sprint HQ(which is 5min walk for me) and ask them about Pre3.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    It is pretty simple, if HP fails to bring a new webOS device to Sprint they can kiss goodbye to their chances of success anywhere as the only people who have been loyal to the OS are on Sprint. Word of mouth is a very powerful tool and if the past is any indication most carriers couldn't care less about educating their employees about webOS devices.

I will jump to an EVO3D if there isn't a pre3 on Sprint. Thank God I have a choice. I really don't want to switch carriers to get a phone.
    I do agree with you that assuming the Pre3 does provide a great user experience, their best chance of success would be to include Sprint in the initial launch - I'd like to see it on more than just Sprint, but who knows. Honestly, with the current EVO, the EVO 3D, a Pre3, the Nexus S 4G, the WP7 Arrive and likely one of the touch BBs later this summer...that's a pretty solid selection of phones for Sprint. I hope it turns out that way. I'd like to have one of each!

One weird thing happened to me today when I dropped in at my local Sprint store and looked at (morbid curiosity) the Kyocera dual screen whateveryoucallit. The store wasn't busy at all, so the two reps there started talking to me about the Kyocera and it's oddities vs. my EVO. I mentioned that I'd love to see them carry the Pre3 and they both lit up with genuine anticipation of getting a Sprint Pre3 in May or June, in addition to the HP TouchPad. This has never happened to me at a Sprint store where they usually cringe at the mention of Palm or Pre. The one said that she just saw the TouchPad on the most recent roadmap and they're getting it in May. She then said they expect the Pre3 and definitely not the Pre2 saying it was discontinued. Take it FWIW. It just seemed odd to me as opposed to the usual comments I get from them about Palm/Pre.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    I hope Sprint gets any kind of a webOS phone this summer. I've been eligible for an upgrade since June 2010. Finally used it earlier this month (April 2011) to give my wife a Samsung Epic. I'm trying to figure out how to migrate to Android, but hoping I don't have to.

I'm currently using a a Pre Plus that I Sprint-ified.

My next upgrade is in September. If there's nothing by new then, my webOS era will, sadly, be over.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtreo View Post
    I do agree with you that assuming the Pre3 does provide a great user experience, their best chance of success would be to include Sprint in the initial launch - I'd like to see it on more than just Sprint, but who knows. Honestly, with the current EVO, the EVO 3D, a Pre3, the Nexus S 4G, the WP7 Arrive and likely one of the touch BBs later this summer...that's a pretty solid selection of phones for Sprint. I hope it turns out that way. I'd like to have one of each!

One weird thing happened to me today when I dropped in at my local Sprint store and looked at (morbid curiosity) the Kyocera dual screen whateveryoucallit. The store wasn't busy at all, so the two reps there started talking to me about the Kyocera and it's oddities vs. my EVO. I mentioned that I'd love to see them carry the Pre3 and they both lit up with genuine anticipation of getting a Sprint Pre3 in May or June, in addition to the HP TouchPad. This has never happened to me at a Sprint store where they usually cringe at the mention of Palm or Pre. The one said that she just saw the TouchPad on the most recent roadmap and they're getting it in May. She then said they expect the Pre3 and definitely not the Pre2 saying it was discontinued. Take it FWIW. It just seemed odd to me as opposed to the usual comments I get from them about Palm/Pre.
    reseller not corporate store?
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    I hope Sprint gets any kind of a webOS phone this summer. I've been eligible for an upgrade since June 2010. Finally used it earlier this month (April 2011) to give my wife a Samsung Epic. I'm trying to figure out how to migrate to Android, but hoping I don't have to.

I'm currently using a a Pre Plus that I Sprint-ified.

My next upgrade is in September. If there's nothing by new then, my webOS era will, sadly, be over.
    If you are not shy to a "sprintified" device, consider upgrading to a Pre 2. With an unlocked Pre 2 you still get ota updates and a very smooth WebOS experience. Especially with the recent changes to sprint, you can avoid the additional $10 per month fee for smartphones. Really, if you used your upgrade on your wife then what's a better option?
    Quote Originally Posted by FidelitySyndrom View Post
    If you are not shy to a "sprintified" device, consider upgrading to a Pre 2. With an unlocked Pre 2 you still get ota updates and a very smooth WebOS experience. Especially with the recent changes to sprint, you can avoid the additional $10 per month fee for smartphones. Really, if you used your upgrade on your wife then what's a better option?
    How do you get a Pre 2 to work on Sprint? How do you avoid the $10 fee?
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    How do you get a Pre 2 to work on Sprint? How do you avoid the $10 fee?
    I guess a Verizon Pre 2 hacked to work on Sprint.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    You won't avoid the $10 fee forever. A new device (smart phone) will cause it to be initiated.

Just goes to show that Sprint's "everything" is everything so long as you don't use it.
    Dan
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    I feel like this... if I have to pay extra for "premium" data I may as well get a 4G phone and get my monies worth. Unfortunately the only thing that lives up to that requirement on Sprint is a Android phone... so be it I guess...

I just wish HP saw beyond yesteryear and created a 4G device available this Summer...
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    You won't avoid the $10 fee forever. A new device (smart phone) will cause it to be initiated.

Just goes to show that Sprint's "everything" is everything so long as you don't use it.
    No, it's the same "everything" it always was. Just costs $10 more now. That happens.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
    reseller not corporate store?
    Yes, it was a Sprint-only contract store, but not a full corporate store. They have full active demo models of everything, unlike the Radio Shack next door with dummy models.

Also, off topic, but pretty funny news today from the ATT earnings that they saw an increase in iPhone activations instead of the drop that people predicted with VZW. I guess old (expensive) habits really are hard to break.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Quote Originally Posted by FidelitySyndrom View Post
    Yes, I'm considering that as an option. I figure after the Pre 3 is released, the Pre 2 will drop considerably in price.

Although I took the plunge and it worked out OK, It was pretty rough at first, for about a week. You can see my posts in the "Pre Plus on Sprint..." thread if you want gory details.

So, I'm a little squeamish about it, if you know what I mean. I wouldn't risk yanking my existing comms board out of my plus and putting it in a third device. So I'd probably have to find both a pre minus and Pre 2 on Craig's list and/or Ebay, then go to work on the hardware.

I've heard for the pre minus, it's better to go with Craig's list, since it's local. You can meet the seller at a Sprint store and have them activate it on the spot. That way you know you're getting a valid phone.

The thing is, when I took the plunge on the plus, I figured Android would be my fall back. Not a good fall back. From what I see on my wife's phone, I'm not in the least excited about being forced on to that platform. For what I do with my smartphone, webOS is far superior.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I guess a Verizon Pre 2 hacked to work on Sprint.
    Exactly. You avoid the $10 upgrade 'cause it still looks like a Pre minus on Sprint's network. I have a "Sprintified" Pre Plus, but when I log on to my Sprint account, it "thinks" I have a Pre minus. So they don't see it as a new device.

The "hack" is to take a piece of hardware out of both phones. You take the part out of the pre minus that makes it connect to Sprint, then you take the corresponding part out of the Pre 2, and replace it with the one from your Pre minus. There's some software stuff that has to be done, too, thanks to WebOS Internals.

There's an extensive thread and wiki for doing it. This community is incredible for help with that kind of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    A question from an uninvolved, euro-centric bystander:

Is Sprint really THAT much cheaper than the competition, especially GSM-rocking companies? Because I keep hearing that Sprint reception is below par... I've actually heard it likened to E-Plus, if that means anything to anyone. I also understand that Sprint doesn't even let you tether devices using the bandwidth you're paying for with your hard-earned dollars. And because it's CDMA, you can't even buy an unlocked phone and use any device you want on their network... which is exactly what's working a lot of you guys up because if Sprint decides not to carry the Pre3, there's no way to get a Pre3 to work on Sprint. That's a whole lot of cons in my book, but a lot of you guys are very loyal to Sprint, so there should also be a whole lot of pros to balance them out. What are they?

(this is not meant to provoke anyone, I'm sincerely curious.)

Hey GodShapedHole,

This may help clarify the pricing preference for Sprint.

With that being said, (or referenced) I have the Unlimited Everything plan for $69.99 USD (plus taxes and all that crap) which brings me around $90.00 or so. I get great coverage everywhere I go, except when I use the subway, which is underground train. (I think you guys have a different word for it.)

Nonetheless, Verizon & AT&T have (or had) similar "unlimited" plans, which only included unlimited minutes, plus an extra $10-20 for unlimited txt and/or data... This was the case when I last checked.

I've been with Sprint since 2004 and my personal experiences with their service, and customer care has always been more than expected.

With that said, I'm willing to wait until November, which is when my contract is up, for the HPalm Pre3. If it isn't released on the "NOW network", then I will simply follow the Pre3 to Verizon, (not AT&T).

That's it for my "2 cents"

Best regards,
    J
    aka @t3k_no
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    No wonder Sprint is losing so much money. The customers who are staying with Sprint are the most price-conscious ones. It's tough to stay in business that way. Anyone who has ever run a business knows that there needs to be a core group of customers who are not price sensitive for whatever reason - they just keep coming in or signing up.
    Sprint isn't losing money, in fact the most recent filing for earnings saw them rise from 7 billion to 8 billion. How is that loosing money?

http://finance.blogrange.com/finance-news/sprint-revenue-rises-adds-subscribers/
    Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    No wonder Sprint is losing so much money. The customers who are staying with Sprint are the most price-conscious ones. It's tough to stay in business that way. Anyone who has ever run a business knows that there needs to be a core group of customers who are not price sensitive for whatever reason - they just keep coming in or signing up.
    Well, for many of us it isn't a choice, so I'm glad Sprint is there for us. I mean, we can't all be CEO's and surgeons, some of us are teachers (like me).