View Poll Results: Will Sprint Carry The New HP Pre 3 In 2011?

Voters
424. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

175 41.27%
  • MAYBE

103 24.29%
  • NO

83 19.58%
  • "WHEN PIGS LEARN HOW TO FLY"

63 14.86%
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
    no word given by hp that the veer or pre3 will be headed to the US. no sense in waiting anxiously. just relax and breath. buy a phone now that best fits your needs with the least compromises.
    No one at Radio Shack knows anything more than we do. The managers are not privy to any more information than we are. A direct Sprint Rep may know, but they aren't saying much.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    PSN: StuntmanMark
    Twitter: @StuntmanMark

The Name: http://is.gd/nxnbhK
    Listening to any rep, whether it is from Sprint, Verizon, Palm, HP, RIM, Apple, Microsoft, The Shack, Best Buy, AT&T, Google, well, you get my point...

... is just bad news. They don't know anymore than you do (less, if you are smart, stay updated with various tech sites and forums, etc.). They generally don't care; they punch in and punch out.

Will the Pre 3 be on Sprint? Who knows. (that's rhetorical; my point was that there are only a handful of people on Earth that know right now, and those people have a vested interest in not telling, obviously, or they would have shared the information)
    Quote Originally Posted by sj4231 View Post
    I was at Radio Shack today looking at their selection of Sprint phones and they brought out the Kyocera/Sanyo Echo. I mentioned to the store manager that I am interested in the Pre 3 and the possibility of it launching on Sprint. He stated that Sprint will not get the Pre 3 due to the fiasco with the original Pre. This started to make me think about recent events and wonder how much trouble HP is having lining up distribution of the Pre 3.

The mobile market is one where I don't think HP has much leverage as historically they haven't been a major player. Secondly, their most recent offering, the Pre 2, is like a new movie that went straight to video; it is only at Verizon in the USA and not in all stores and definitely not being promoted by Big Red.

Sprint has gone all Android in their attempt to gain new subscribers and may have decided to take a pass on the Pre 3 or wait to see how it sells on Verizon due to their past issues with the Pre - and how it turned out to be a liability rather than a solid performer like the EVO or Epic.

It has been two months HP's unveiling event and their current efforts are to make the media rounds to continue to keep the Pre 3 & Webos in the public's eye but with no mention of carrier or dates. This brings me back to distribution issues and the possibility that the Pre 3 may launch on Verizon and HP's website. I know that HP likes to comment that this is a "marathon and not a sprint" but, at some point, they have to start running and be perceived as a contender.

What is your perception of HP and their ability to become a contender in the mobile marketplace?
    I don't think Sprint wont get a webos phone, however the logic of not getting the Pre 3 is possible. They might want to "start fresh" with a new name and new form factor. I think HP Pre 3 will be on ATT and Verizon. Do you think Apple has a chance considering (in the US) thats the only carriers available for the iPhone (not a real question). So I think HP will be fine as long as they continue making great products like Pre 3 and TouchPad that depend on each other (in a non constricting way) and don't go backwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    You lost me at "I was at Radio Shack..."
    Couldn't have said it better. Lol
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I'm so sick of this crap. Enough already. Somebody here at Precentral or Treo or one of the other sites I really don't care - pull your strings or play your cards or whatever it is you do and slap these jerks down and get a damn leak.

I'm so sick of being jerked around by both HP and Sprint. I don't really care which one of them is having problems or if it's both or why. We are the ones that will make or break them and they better pull their heads out long enough to get that or when they finally get off their butts and launch these things all they're going to hear is crickets and tumbleweeds because no one's gonna give a damn anymore.

I'm serious about the shift that is happening right now. The tide is turning from the initial confusion, then anger, then speculation then hope. Now we're feeling played and embarrassed for being so stupid and gullible. I'm not a psychiatrist but I know enough about it to know that when a person feels used and embarrassed that your about to get a very angry backlash.

That is building and it's going to happen soon if we don't get thrown a bone of some sort.

And for the love of god please spare me the months-long tired excuses about how this is all just business and HP is going to do what makes sense for them and there's nothing personal and all that crap. Word of mouth is huge and although the Pre base is relatively small our voices are very loud and our influence is wide. Another little fact some of you might not know is that a large number of us HP developer's are among that Sprint Pre base and I really don't think HP needs the developers to be on their bad side.

It does not make good business sense to **** off any kind of base when you simply don't have to and they don't. All they have to do is say a couple of words or even make a gesture but they have not given us squat.

Bs. Total bs.

*update* I suppose I should have pointed out that while many are just anxious to know and want these products, that I was specifically speaking for those of us that have Pre's or Pixi's on Sprint that are falling apart and were promised that HP would "make things right" and have been holding on to that promise stupidly thinking there was something to it. That is why the rant.
    Last edited by jdacats; 04/17/2011 at 04:40 AM. Reason: need to clarify the main point
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    The very fact that the are so silent about launch dates and carriers tells me that they probably plan some Big Bang during this summer
    Or they don't have anything lined up yet.
  8. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Honestly I hope they release on multiple carriers. I found Apple's strategy of releasing the iPhone on only AT&T very interesting. Most will agree it was due to an exclusivity agreement but I know many felt "left out" and/or ****ed that they would have to switch carriers if they wanted it.

Will I switch carriers if the Pre3 only comes to Verizon? Maybe but only because my Pre is a work phone and my company has plans with Sprint and Verizon so switching isn't that big of a deal.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    Honestly I hope they release on multiple carriers. I found Apple's strategy of releasing the iPhone on only AT&T very interesting. Most will agree it was due to an exclusivity agreement but I know many felt "left out" and/or ****ed that they would have to switch carriers if they wanted it.

Will I switch carriers if the Pre3 only comes to Verizon? Maybe but only because my Pre is a work phone and my company has plans with Sprint and Verizon so switching isn't that big of a deal.
    Interesting note, its more so apples need for control at first Verizon wouldn't give in to there demands, at one point in time Apple not sure if its still true but Apple had a slice of the contract monthly bill, AT&T highly subsidized, but Verizon wouldn't. Than verizon realized they made a huge mistake Apple brought something to the market no one had and no one could bring to the market for some time, everyone tried making knock-offs but they all sucked. Apple won it fare and square by being innovative.

HP/Palm doesn't have the luxury of exclusivity to put it on just one carrier. There a no name for the most part in the consumer world. A consumer hears pre/veer/pixi... and goes okay? A consumer here iPhone and they know whats special about it.

HP will need to launch on every network and beef up there name. When they first launched the pre on just sprint HUGE mistake and thats what cost them android arrived on t-mobile, verizon, AT&T and what not and crushed the Web-OS name by the time it arrived people didn't care and it sort of lost its specialness over the long wait. That why Palm had to be sold off to survive.

I'm assuming HP knows how to business (they've proven themselves thus far...) but they best learn from palms past....
    As deihmos pointed out, android came on t mobile for an exclusive amount of time. The thing is what killed pre minus is a multiple of things, one being it came too late. But I do think hp will do well.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I don't think Sprint wont get a webos phone, however the logic of not getting the Pre 3 is possible. They might want to "start fresh" with a new name and new form factor. I think HP Pre 3 will be on ATT and Verizon. Do you think Apple has a chance considering (in the US) thats the only carriers available for the iPhone (not a real question). So I think HP will be fine as long as they continue making great products like Pre 3 and TouchPad that depend on each other (in a non constricting way) and don't go backwards.
    It is possible that Sprint might set out the Pre 3 for the reasons you stated and introduce the candy bar phone in the Fall, perhaps. As for Apple, they are minting money whereas HP has to convince carriers/distributors why they should take a chance on the Pre3 due to the Pre history in the marketplace.

Today, I went to a Verizon store to compare the Pre - against the Pre 2 but the store didn't have one. The VZ store manager explains that they aren't carrying the Pre 2, goes through the history of all the returns they had with the Pre +, how it cost them money, etc. and stated that (at least at that store) they don't plan to carry Palm products as most of the people who had them returned them for Droids.

I think HP has their work cut out for the Pre 3 launch.
    I used to believe in HP
    It is pretty simple, if HP fails to bring a new webOS device to Sprint they can kiss goodbye to their chances of success anywhere as the only people who have been loyal to the OS are on Sprint. Word of mouth is a very powerful tool and if the past is any indication most carriers couldn't care less about educating their employees about webOS devices.

I will jump to an EVO3D if there isn't a pre3 on Sprint. Thank God I have a choice. I really don't want to switch carriers to get a phone.
    Based on Verizon's totally ignoring the sale of the VZ Pre 2 and the unimaginable delay in getting the VZ Pre 2 to 2.1, I now think the Pre 3 will only launch on AT&T + an unlocked version, with Verizon available "later this year", and Sprint "next year" ... No news from HP is BAD news. Given their situation in the market, they would announce any good news real quick ...
    If HP is smart they would focus on GSM over CDMA. Outside USA, there are few CDMA carriers while there are many, many GSM carriers. So, for example, if they create an AT&T version of the Pre 3, they can sell that IDENTICAL version of the phone on Telus and Rogers on Canada and Telcel, Movistar, Iusacell and Unefon in Mexico. With a change of the radio frequency they can sell that same phone on the rest of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
    Correction: HP is the biggest computer HARDWARE seller in the world...
    All computers are hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    If HP is smart they would focus on GSM over CDMA. Outside USA, there are few CDMA carriers while there are many, many GSM carriers. So, for example, if they create an AT&T version of the Pre 3, they can sell that IDENTICAL version of the phone on Telus and Rogers on Canada and Telcel, Movistar, Iusacell and Unefon in Mexico. With a change of the radio frequency they can sell that same phone on the rest of the world.
    I'm not arguing with you that GSM is dominant over CDMA in much of the world (though you are ignoring parts of Asia; it isn't just the USA). However, if your logic was correct, then why did Apple just come out with a CDMA iPhone 4, which is a totally different SKU? There's obviously a large, large market in CDMA, or Apple wouldn't bother trying to go after it.

They are doing the right thing. The Pre 3 is potentially a world phone (i.e. GSM and CDMA), and the Veer is GSM-only. They have all their bases, excluding WiMax/LTE 4G networks, covered.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Seriously doubt Pre 3 coming to sprint. Ruby said in multiple interviews Palm missed a product cycle with the Pre 2 due to the acquisition. Coupled with the fact there is no marketing for the 2 and in the recent PC article showing VZW as the carrier string... I've pretty much lost hope.

it's sad. The Pre was my 1st smartphone and I absolutely love it. Just will be sad when it eventually fails. I won't be able to replace it. Sprint is too cheap to leave.
    Honestly, I think the Pre 2 is so good that I don't care about the Pre 3...maybe the veer.
    look if you have lost all hope , well thats ok it will come back to you when the pre3 comes out ! it will come flooding back in like a bad dream !! lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Titano View Post
    Palm and HP could be swallowed by the earth right now and Sprint wouldn't shed a tear. They already got their winner phone to go against the IPhone5: Evo 3D--and Nexus S and HTC Arrive if you want to count those too. Seriously, I'm 90% sure that they don't consider the Pre3 a worthy opponent to whatever Apple announced as their 5th generation IPhone. If they do pick up the Pre3 it will be just to make a quick buck out of stubborn original Pre owners.
    I have to agree