View Poll Results: Will Sprint Carry The New HP Pre 3 In 2011?

Voters
424. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    175 41.27%
  • MAYBE

    103 24.29%
  • NO

    83 19.58%
  • "WHEN PIGS LEARN HOW TO FLY"

    63 14.86%
Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3237383940414243 LastLast
Results 821 to 840 of 856
Like Tree36Likes
  1. #821  
    I can't help but think of how ridiculous it is that paying customers are forced to BEG and PLEAD for the chance to buy a phone.

    Think about this for a minute - customers like you and me are literally BEGGING for the opportunity to pay hundreds of dollars to a multi-million dollar company so we can have the phone we want.

    And we still might not have that opportunity.

    Unreal.
  2. #822  
    Ha, that is such an awesome problem to have as a business. Only, the answer is likely NO, we don't want your money. Go spend it elsewhere. Boy do I wish my business was that rich to be able to do that. Oh well...

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    meir602 likes this.
  3. #823  
    It's not ironic at all. How many people want to buy an iPhone on sprint? probably alot more than a pre3. What's Ironic is announcing a phone with NO CARRIERS ON BOARD. Not a single one. Then waiting 6 months with NO CARRIER ANNOUNCEMENT, that's ironic, wait that's just stupid business
    purplepansy likes this.
  4. #824  
    <<threads merged>>
  5. #825  
    Quote Originally Posted by matty3054 View Post
    I can't help but think of how ridiculous it is that paying customers are forced to BEG and PLEAD for the chance to buy a phone.

    Think about this for a minute - customers like you and me are literally BEGGING for the opportunity to pay hundreds of dollars to a multi-million dollar company so we can have the phone we want.

    And we still might not have that opportunity.

    Unreal.
    It's not that easy. If taken at face value then yes, your point is valid. The problem is that Sprint would now have 2 ecosystems to support which they would have to train staff, promotional materials, have display space, etc. They would also have to support the "not so average" consumer who will return the phone 7 times or just outright cancel their service BECAUSE of the phone. They have opportunity costs and potential liability with carrying webOS devices. They rolled the dice with the Pre and lost. Had they treated the Pre like any other "got to have it" Android device, they probably would have fared much better. Two years later, and I'd dare say Sprint is still paying for what they perceived as a mistake. Fool me once..

    Now.. AT&T and Verizon would love to have your money also. They are exponentially better equipped to support multiple platforms and have gobs more money to "burn" on intangibles. Sprint unfortunately doesn't have this luxury. What it would take for Sprint to ever carry webOS again would be for HP to cough up a ton of cash (read: incentives). I'm not sure if HP isn't mulling this as an option. They certainly have the money to coax Sprint into giving them another shot.
    purplepansy likes this.
  6. sj4231#AC's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    #826  
    I used to believe in HP
  7. #827  
    Quote Originally Posted by sj4231 View Post
    Even with no sources and spelling errors that article hit the nail on the head! Thinking back to the pre launch even in this forum, how many people didn't have one replaced pre but 3,4, or 5! Sprint was burned and I can see why.

    It's happened to other manufacters with sprint and verizon. Sprint put motorola on a time out for almost 2 years (not nextel).
  8. Ulairi's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    #828  
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    Even with no sources and spelling errors that article hit the nail on the head! Thinking back to the pre launch even in this forum, how many people didn't have one replaced pre but 3,4, or 5! Sprint was burned and I can see why.

    It's happened to other manufacters with sprint and verizon. Sprint put motorola on a time out for almost 2 years (not nextel).
    Sprint is not in the position to put people on a time out. They are a third rate network that is finding itself less able to compete as time goes by. They are a perfect takeover target. HP is targeting Verizon and At&t not because Sprint turned them down but because that is where the mass of customers are both enterprise and consumer customers.
  9. #829  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    Sprint is not in the position to put people on a time out. They are a third rate network that is finding itself less able to compete as time goes by. They are a perfect takeover target. HP is targeting Verizon and At&t not because Sprint turned them down but because that is where the mass of customers are both enterprise and consumer customers.
    Anyone could say the same for webos. Webos interest, mindshare and market share have flatlined at less than 1%. HP has the money, but all the money in the world will do nothing without a sound plan and execution. Every other day HP contradicts itself, and I'm not even joking sadly.

    Honestly I can see HP giving this a go for another year before they shelve webos completely, and if they do license it, it will be the same handspring, palm os saga all over again. HP can't even put out a phone that was announced how many months ago?

    Sprint may be number three, but that #3 has millions more customers in one country than webos has all over the world.
  10. #830  
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    Anyone could say the same for webos. Webos interest, mindshare and market share have flatlined at less than 1%. HP has the money, but all the money in the world will do nothing without a sound plan and execution. Every other day HP contradicts itself, and I'm not even joking sadly.

    Honestly I can see HP giving this a go for another year before they shelve webos completely, and if they do license it, it will be the same handspring, palm os saga all over again. HP can't even put out a phone that was announced how many months ago?

    Sprint may be number three, but that #3 has millions more customers in one country than webos has all over the world.
    I can see them abandoning smartphones, if things don't pan out the way they like; but abandoning webOS completely? Not very likely. They are pretty serious about putting webOS on Printers, and possibly toasters & refrigerators
  11. corpx's Avatar
    Posts
    209 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #831  
    Examiner.com = has the credibility of a random blog.
  12. #832  
    More fuel for the fire...

    I went into a Sprint corporate store this weekend to ask about the Pre3. The place was empty except for the 3 employees, one of whom came up and asked if he could help me. I asked about any news on the availablity of the Pre3 and he promptly said "Nope!" in an manner that seemed to me like "Nope, and please leave. I don't have time for you." This only made me press the issue more, if anything, to make the guy have to actually deal with me instead of dismissing me.

    After some discussions, he stated that he didn't think the phone was going to be released anytime soon. I mentioned the mid-September rumor and the "Summer release" announcements from HP and he was unimpressed.

    To his credit, he didn't try to sell me an Android phone. I left after mentioning that I just bought the TouchPad and have made a significant investment in the webOS ecosystem and that, if Sprint didn't get a new webOS phone soon, I would have to take my account to another carrier after 10 years on Sprint. I'm sure he didn't care, but I said it on the off chance that it gets reported upstream.
  13. sj4231#AC's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    #833  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    Sprint is not in the position to put people on a time out. They are a third rate network that is finding itself less able to compete as time goes by. They are a perfect takeover target. HP is targeting Verizon and At&t not because Sprint turned them down but because that is where the mass of customers are both enterprise and consumer customers.
    Hmm. Does RIMM and the Playbook know this?
  14. Thead's Avatar
    Posts
    317 Posts
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    #834  
    Here's my Sprint store salesperson story:

    A couple weeks ago I was upgrading my wife's phone. While we were checking out I went ahead and asked if they had heard anything about getting the Pre 3. The guy informed me that the original Pre was a Palm product and HP bought Palm. That was all he said. I was a little too dumbfounded to ask a followup question. So... yeah...
  15. g8slord's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #835  
    I was just at a seminar where there was a high up HP rep doing a demo for a large IT group shoing the WebOS platform and all the devices. He said over and over again that he could not state what carrier was getting the Pre3 because HP had not announced it. But he then promptly handed me a Pre3 demo with the ATT logo in the top left. Said only one carried will get the Pre3 at launch and that Sprint does not want to sell WebOS devices. Said HP would love to continue with them but looks unlikely. He did mention that the "slate" phone is due out Q1 of next year. take it for what it is worth. I would love to jump from Sprint and get the Pre3 to match up with my TP and keep the eco system running, but looks like I will have to switch to iPone based on nothing more then plan cost. For a single phone I am saving almost $70 a month.
  16. whfrat's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #836  
    Touchscreen failed on the Pre- so into Sprint it went. They were very cool about it $35 later I'm up and running with a new screen. As I was watching the guy pop my phone apart I commented on how he must have worked on a few Pre's. He replied that, in the beginning Palm would not let them open the phones, not even to replace the on off button. So of course I asked about the Pre 3, Again. Now I have heard this 4 times, Sprint is waiting to see how it does first, then maybe. So maybe we should apply some pressure on HP. Hey HP make it worth Sprint's while to sell your phone!!!! or at least foot the bill if the phones have problems..... Keeping the faith with my Pre- on Sprint
  17. #837  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    Sprint is not in the position to put people on a time out. They are a third rate network that is finding itself less able to compete as time goes by. They are a perfect takeover target. HP is targeting Verizon and At&t not because Sprint turned them down but because that is where the mass of customers are both enterprise and consumer customers.
    ROFLMAO! ....You not serious right.....

    Sprint has 52 million subs the majority who are using Smartphones....Think of this when the Pre- was Sprint flagship phone, Sprint was still losing subscribers...when the EVO (an Android phone) became Sprint's flagship...Sprint added Subs and lowered it churn remarkably and the trend continues to this day.

    Trust me Sprint not hurting or giving pre3 a 2nd thought because a few WebOS Die-Hard are ****-sore about the Pre3...and when Sprint gets the iPhone it will be that much harder to get them to care about WebOS.

    HP is the one who needs to be scared....Sprint pretty much said "No Thanks" to the Pre 3 and Verizon and AT&T don't seem too "in a rush" to release it either, and none of them are suffering by putting the Pre 3 out of their minds for right now atleast.

    Blame HP's horrible execution for that.
  18. #838  
    Quote Originally Posted by g8slord View Post
    I was just at a seminar where there was a high up HP rep doing a demo for a large IT group shoing the WebOS platform and all the devices. He said over and over again that he could not state what carrier was getting the Pre3 because HP had not announced it. But he then promptly handed me a Pre3 demo with the ATT logo in the top left. Said only one carried will get the Pre3 at launch and that Sprint does not want to sell WebOS devices. Said HP would love to continue with them but looks unlikely. He did mention that the "slate" phone is due out Q1 of next year. take it for what it is worth. I would love to jump from Sprint and get the Pre3 to match up with my TP and keep the eco system running, but looks like I will have to switch to iPone based on nothing more then plan cost. For a single phone I am saving almost $70 a month.
    If I was Sprint I wouldn't want to be bothered either....HP's execution is a HOT MESS...the Left hand doesn't know what the Right Hand, Left and Right foot are doing....

    And Sprint probably knows that like all it's predecessors the Pre3 will have to be given away (FREE) on 2-yr contracts to move and significant amount devices.....and that shouldn't need to be the case for a supposed "TOP TIER SMARTPHONE".....I bet Verizon and AT&T have the same thinking after such failures of the Pre2 and Veer...
  19. #839  
    I don't really think the pre3 is coming to sprint now. They are making more money off of 4G so is the pre 3 even 4G? If it's not, then why would Sprint CEO care?
  20. #840  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
    If I was Sprint I wouldn't want to be bothered either....HP's execution is a HOT MESS...the Left hand doesn't know what the Right Hand, Left and Right foot are doing....

    And Sprint probably knows that like all it's predecessors the Pre3 will have to be given away (FREE) on 2-yr contracts to move and significant amount devices.....and that shouldn't need to be the case for a supposed "TOP TIER SMARTPHONE".....I bet Verizon and AT&T have the same thinking after such failures of the Pre2 and Veer...
    You do know all Sprint cares about is the contracts, they could care less what you pay for your phone.


    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    I don't really think the pre3 is coming to sprint now. They are making more money off of 4G so is the pre 3 even 4G? If it's not, then why would Sprint CEO care?
    Well lets see, Sprint charges $10 per line for any smartphone. So if you are paying $10 per line and not using 4G you are now using less data than the 4G phone and you are paying $10 per line just like the cat that is using the 4G. This equals more profit for what in most cases equates to less network bandwidth used, this is why Dan would care.

    I still don't think the Pre3 is coming to Sprint, but it is not for what you claim above.
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 08/16/2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: freakin typo, shouldn't have had not in there.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions