View Poll Results: Will Sprint Carry The New HP Pre 3 In 2011?

Voters
424. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

175 41.27%
  • MAYBE

103 24.29%
  • NO

83 19.58%
  • "WHEN PIGS LEARN HOW TO FLY"

63 14.86%
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Thanks for your replies, everyone

But here's a technical question: I just saw that the Pre3 is actually a worldphone with CDMA and GSM (don't know how I missed that during the original presentation and until now).

So wouldn't it be possible to buy an unlocked Pre3 directly from HP and make it work on Sprint after all?
    I don't think so. GSM providers allow you to just pop a sim card into any unlocked phone and use it, whereas CDMA carriers require the phone to be registered as one of their phones. I haven't heard many success stories of people using non carrier branded CDMA phones, such as a Verizon Pre 2 on Sprint.

GSM=Unlockable
    CDMA=carrier dependent
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I don't think so. GSM providers allow you to just pop a sim card into any unlocked phone and use it, whereas CDMA carriers require the phone to be registered as one of their phones. I haven't heard many success stories of people using non carrier branded CDMA phones, such as a Verizon Pre 2 on Sprint.

GSM=Unlockable
    CDMA=carrier dependent
    It also depends on which carrier you plan to use the phone on. I know a bunch of people that were able to get their Sprint smart-devices flashed to work on Crickets network. But I don't know anyone that has had a Cricket device added to a Sprint or Verizon account. So maybe an unlocked Pre3 would work on one carriers CDMA network, but not on another.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Sad, but true? If you think webOS is not going to be a mayor player, I regret to inform you of your lack of vision. Your personal problems with palm aside, HP is the biggest computer seller in the world. I think they can make a dent.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Correction: HP is the biggest computer HARDWARE seller in the world. Outside of their printer drivers (takes them forever to get them stable and working right - wait! that sounds like webOS ...), and duplicate utilities they ship on their PCs, that's about it. They have made a dent - 1% ...
    Last edited by geewhiz; 04/15/2011 at 12:06 AM. Reason: interrupted by hail storm!
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Ummm mine reset and wont be available to March 2012

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Mine reset and some how jumped ahead three months from July 2011 to April 1, 2011
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I was at Radio Shack today looking at their selection of Sprint phones and they brought out the Kyocera/Sanyo Echo. I mentioned to the store manager that I am interested in the Pre 3 and the possibility of it launching on Sprint. He stated that Sprint will not get the Pre 3 due to the fiasco with the original Pre. This started to make me think about recent events and wonder how much trouble HP is having lining up distribution of the Pre 3.

The mobile market is one where I don't think HP has much leverage as historically they haven't been a major player. Secondly, their most recent offering, the Pre 2, is like a new movie that went straight to video; it is only at Verizon in the USA and not in all stores and definitely not being promoted by Big Red.

Sprint has gone all Android in their attempt to gain new subscribers and may have decided to take a pass on the Pre 3 or wait to see how it sells on Verizon due to their past issues with the Pre - and how it turned out to be a liability rather than a solid performer like the EVO or Epic.

It has been two months HP's unveiling event and their current efforts are to make the media rounds to continue to keep the Pre 3 & Webos in the public's eye but with no mention of carrier or dates. This brings me back to distribution issues and the possibility that the Pre 3 may launch on Verizon and HP's website. I know that HP likes to comment that this is a "marathon and not a sprint" but, at some point, they have to start running and be perceived as a contender.

What is your perception of HP and their ability to become a contender in the mobile marketplace?
    I used to believe in HP
    You lost me at "I was at Radio Shack..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    You lost me at "I was at Radio Shack..."

Haha classic...
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Ah, how assumptions rush to fill the void of "We don't know yet"!
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    I don't know whether Pre3 will be available on Sprint.

But neither do you nor that Radio Shack guy.

We don't know because HP is playing their cards close to their chest.

That's frustrating because we all would like to know sooner than later.

There's no doubt negotiations going on while - I assume - HP is preparing a relaunch campaign.

The very fact that the are so silent about launch dates and carriers tells me that they probably plan some Big Bang during this summer (multiple carriers, multiple countries, multiple devices). So they don't want to devalue that with a gradual tidbits of infos here and there.

Perhaps Sprint is done with Palm devices. OTOH having all eggs in one basket is bad for a carrier. It helps with negotiations to have alternatives.

Manufacturers keep AMDs CPUs around and in some models to keep pressure on Intel.

At the end of the day Sprint is a company out to make money. If HP can show them that the new devices won't have the return rates of the first generation and convinces them that HP can push the platform there is no reason to assume that Sprint might not be interested again. Especially as they are no doubt aware that a sizable number of their subscribers have webos devices and that they risk loosing some of them if they don't offer an upgrade path.
    Sprint is relatively small but had webos devices the longest. So the overall webos market share of 3% translates into more than that on Sprint. So it might well be that 5-10% of their smartphone customers have Pres waiting for an upgrade. Sprint is loosing too many customers already. They will be motivated to keep as many of the subscribers they already have as possible.

Either way - we'll know by the end of summer.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    So much for Precentrals new policy, lol....
    I really think the only way the Pre 3 will be successful is if it is priced very competitively. I'm talking about 100 bucks on contract. If it comes out at the same time as the Evo 3d, not a chance it's successful if it is the same price.
    It's still a mystery. I really don't want to pay 40 bucks more for the same service, i know that's no mystery.
    Palm Pre Legacy WebOS 2.1
    http://www.prethemer.com/profile/holley2583/themes, Checkum' Out!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG James View Post
    I really think the only way the Pre 3 will be successful is if it is priced very competitively. I'm talking about 100 bucks on contract. If it comes out at the same time as the Evo 3d, not a chance it's successful if it is the same price.
    I tend to agree. Inferior hardware specs and, if it lacks 4G (covered in other posts), it will have a hard time competing until the price drops.
    I used to believe in HP
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    If HP wants to be on Sprint, they will be.
    Although, I imagine Sprint would prefer a Wimax HPalm device.
    Quote Originally Posted by richc3 View Post
    If HP wants to be on Sprint, they will be.
    Although, I imagine Sprint would prefer a Wimax HPalm device.
    Um... not so much. If the Pre 3 isn't on Sprint it will be Sprint who rejects it. HP is going to be releasing on Verizon and AT&T so there won't be exclusivity.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I'm now wondering if:

AT&T gets the Veer
    Verizon gets the Pre3
    and
    Sprint gets the next phone, the rumored Stingray slab, which is slightly larger so might fit better with a smaller touchpad also rumored to come in the fall.
    They really need to get the same phones on all the carriers like they did with the Pre and Pixi. I don't think the future looks well for HP phones if they make you choose your carrier instead of choose your phone.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    +1
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Sounds like HP wants as wide a distribution as they can get:

http://forums.precentral.net/2938354-post17.html
    So Sprint considers the original Pre a bust and concludes they will not carry the next generation Pre 3, which means if i follow this logic, then of the many phones that have failed over the years on Sprint, would mean they wouldnt do business with that maker again.

As stated above, the guy at the Shack doesnt have any more info about who is carrying what than we do. If HP makes the case for their new devices and Sprint sees the possibilty to make money and build a long-term relationship, they will carry the devices.
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789 14 ... LastLast