View Poll Results: Will Sprint Carry The New HP Pre 3 In 2011?

Voters
424. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

175 41.27%
  • MAYBE

103 24.29%
  • NO

83 19.58%
  • "WHEN PIGS LEARN HOW TO FLY"

63 14.86%
Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2934353637383940414243 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    FYI, Sprint uses the 1900 Mhz spectrum while Verizon uses the 800 Mhz spectrum. Overall 800 is better and doesn't need as many towers to cover the same area as 1900. 800 also penetrates buildings better.

I can verify in the SF area this is often true between Sprint and Verizon. I have forced roaming patch installed in my Sprint FrankenPre because of this.

Don't get me wrong Sprint gets good reception overall but when you're inside a building or on the edge of the coverage zone Verizon always wins.

One thing to look forward to if I have to switch.
    I've definitely experienced the reduced Sprint signal inside of large office buildings. If not for the forced roaming patch, my original Sprint Pre's battery would not have lasted throughout the workday.

I am currently testing my Verizon signal with a Pixi Plus. I am very happy with the signal strength I have seen so far. I hope we see the Pre 3 within a month on Verizon.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I emailed dan@sprint.com like was recommended to add my voice to everyone elses that we want it on Sprint. After some phone tag finally connected with Whitney W. (757.223.3806) who responded to my email. She said there are no current plans to add the Pre3 to their line up, even with all the requests they have been getting. She will take the request and forward it up the line. If anything changes it will be posted on sprint.com.

Maybe its time to finally upgrade my original Pre and change back in 2 years when maybe Sprint will have something :-(
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Someone may have mentioned this already, so sorry if that is the case. Has anyone contacted a CSR at VZW or ATT and asked them about the Pre 3? There's all this focus on Sprint CSR's giving vague answers like "It is not currently in our lineup, but we'll let you know if that changes." Since it hasn't officially been annouced on VZW or ATT yet, their CSR's might be giving out the same line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    Someone may have mentioned this already, so sorry if that is the case. Has anyone contacted a CSR at VZW or ATT and asked them about the Pre 3? There's all this focus on Sprint CSR's giving vague answers like "It is not currently in our lineup, but we'll let you know if that changes." Since it hasn't officially been annouced on VZW or ATT yet, their CSR's might be giving out the same line.
    Yes look here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...zon-store.html
    FYI, Sprint uses the 1900 Mhz spectrum while Verizon uses the 800 Mhz spectrum. Overall 800 is better and doesn't need as many towers to cover the same area as 1900. 800 also penetrates buildings better.

I can verify in the SF area this is often true between Sprint and Verizon. I have forced roaming patch installed in my Sprint FrankenPre because of this.

Don't get me wrong Sprint gets good reception overall but when you're inside a building or on the edge of the coverage zone Verizon always wins.

Sprint will soon use 800Mhz as well. The Evo3D already has support for it. It's just that Sprint has to kill off Nextel's 800Mhz IDEN before they can turn on Sprint's 800Mhz CDMA.

Sprint Network Vision Press Release
    Quote Originally Posted by deduce View Post
    Sprint will soon use 800Mhz as well. The Evo3D already has support for it. It's just that Sprint has to kill off Nextel's 800Mhz IDEN before they can turn on Sprint's 800Mhz CDMA.

Sprint Network Vision Press Release

That's interesting but Sprint is suffering from schizophrenia these days. They have WiMax but now want LTE. They sign a deal for LTE but it's sat based. They launch and carry the Pre and Pixi but not a single WebOS product since. They are all over the map, who knows what the heck they're going to do tomorrow?
    That's interesting but Sprint is suffering from schizophrenia these days. They have WiMax but now want LTE. They sign a deal for LTE but it's sat based. They launch and carry the Pre and Pixi but not a single WebOS product since. They are all over the map, who knows what the heck they're going to do tomorrow?
    Sprint's biggest problem has always been Nextel, so much money spent on maintaining a dying network. I never understood why Sprint didn't pull the plug on Nextel as fast as Cingular pulled the plug on ATT.

WiMAX is a good stop gap before some real 4G network technology is available like LTE Advanced or WiMAX Advanced. It allowed Sprint to get a jump on the other carriers and have a headstart in the 4G race. Plus when Sprint switches to LTE, they can continue to resell WiMAX to companies like Comcast and Time Warner without impairing their cellular customers.

It seems Sprint finally has a plan on what to do with all their spectrum, it just baffles me why it took so long.
    LightSquared's tech is not entirely satellite-based. It incorporates both a terrestrial towered network and a pair of geostationary satellites to provide backup and rural coverage, possibly for additional charges.

Sprint is going LTE, and it will be good for everyone.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Quote Originally Posted by deduce View Post
    Sprint's biggest problem has always been Nextel, so much money spent on maintaining a dying network. I never understood why Sprint didn't pull the plug on Nextel as fast as Cingular pulled the plug on ATT.
    Sprint has been wanting to, but there really was no technology in deployment quite like iDEN. When the company traded spectrum to free up space for the emergency workers' comm nets, the most vocal groups protesting Sprint turning off services were the very same emergency workers (fire, police, rescue) who still relied so heavily on Nextel devices. It wasn't until the other pieces were in place that Sprint could start turning off parts of the network.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    Sprint has been wanting to, but there really was no technology in deployment quite like iDEN. When the company traded spectrum to free up space for the emergency workers' comm nets, the most vocal groups protesting Sprint turning off services were the very same emergency workers (fire, police, rescue) who still relied so heavily on Nextel devices. It wasn't until the other pieces were in place that Sprint could start turning off parts of the network.
    No tech? They had QChat up and running years ago.

I still remember ReadyLink on my Sanyo 5600. I'd turn that feature on and watch as my battery drained within an hour.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I spoke with HP today. here it is:

Agent (): "Hi, I understand that you are checking the purchase a Palm Pre 3 on Sprint carrier. Right?"

06/27/2011 04:31:04PM xxxx: "yes, I would like to buy a touchpad as well, but need to know I can get the Pre 3 on sprint as that is my carrier."

06/27/2011 04:31:30PM Agent (): "It's a pleasure to assist you. Your choice of HP products is highly appreciated. For all your computing and printing concerns, HP provides you with the latest in technology complemented with accessories that keeps you updated."

06/27/2011 04:31:47PM xxxx: "wonderful"

06/27/2011 04:32:22PM "Let me verify for the Palm Pre 3 with Sprint plan. Please hold for two minutes."

06/27/2011 04:32:33PM xxxx: "ty"

06/27/2011 04:35:13PM Agent (): "Thank you for your patience."

06/27/2011 04:35:19PM xxxx: "yw"

06/27/2011 04:35:52PM Agent (): "The Palm Pre 3 is still to be launched anytime soon, and some models will carry Sprint plan. Please check our website next month when it will be available"
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    LightSquared's tech is not entirely satellite-based. It incorporates both a terrestrial towered network and a pair of geostationary satellites to provide backup and rural coverage, possibly for additional charges.

Sprint is going LTE, and it will be good for everyone.

It won't be good if you have to have a 2G/3G/WiMAX/LTE/Sat/WiFi/Bluetooth cell phone during the transition

Imagine the battery life on that phone!
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whfrat View Post
    I spoke with HP today. here it is:

Agent (): "Hi, I understand that you are checking the purchase a Palm Pre 3 on Sprint carrier. Right?"

06/27/2011 04:31:04PM xxxx: "yes, I would like to buy a touchpad as well, but need to know I can get the Pre 3 on sprint as that is my carrier."

06/27/2011 04:31:30PM Agent (): "It's a pleasure to assist you. Your choice of HP products is highly appreciated. For all your computing and printing concerns, HP provides you with the latest in technology complemented with accessories that keeps you updated."

06/27/2011 04:31:47PM xxxx: "wonderful"

06/27/2011 04:32:22PM "Let me verify for the Palm Pre 3 with Sprint plan. Please hold for two minutes."

06/27/2011 04:32:33PM xxxx: "ty"

06/27/2011 04:35:13PM Agent (): "Thank you for your patience."

06/27/2011 04:35:19PM xxxx: "yw"

06/27/2011 04:35:52PM Agent (): "The Palm Pre 3 is still to be launched anytime soon, and some models will carry Sprint plan. Please check our website next month when it will be available"
    The broken english of the agent is not inspiring. Sounds like an outsourced agent who probably doesn't even know what "Sprint" is, and was just told by his supervisor to say anything to make the customer happy.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I dislike this game immensely. Renee from Dan's office, after asking if I might be interested in an Android phone, stated that they didn't have any official dates for new webOS phones, but that there had been a recent influx of customers inquiring and that she would forward my request to marketing.

Another source said "I'm not allowed to comment", but was more than willing to hint at future Android offerings. Which just upped the mystery for me. Not allowed to comment fearing loss of yet another customer? Not allowed to comment because it's still being negotiated? Not allowed to comment because it's not the Pre3 and there's an NDA? Of course they're not allowed to comment on why they're not allowed to comment. BLAST IT ALL! I hate this game.

I'm just going to franken-pre a pre2 and wait another 2 years or can someone thaw me out when otters rule the world and Richard Dawson is worshiped like a god.
    It won't be good if you have to have a 2G/3G/WiMAX/LTE/Sat/WiFi/Bluetooth cell phone during the transition

Imagine the battery life on that phone!
    The phones compatible with the satellite service will be 3G/LTE phones at first, if I understand correctly. The satellite service is being handled through new tech that allows much lower-power signals to be utilized. It also helps that the primary antenna on each satellite is 22m in diameter, the largest ever put in orbit for commercial use.

True, 800MHz spectrum makes it so a wireless carrier like Verizon who uses 800MHz spectrum, only has to use 1 tower for every 2 towers that Sprint needs to use to cover the same area. But Sprint has an advantage having two towers placed closer to the customer. That's 2 towers for Sprint customers to feed off of. If one tower is being overworked, your phone can then use the other near by tower instead. With Verizon, that isn't happening, because Verizon's towers are spaced so much farther apart. Plus having towers that are placed closer to the customer can help pull in better data speeds as well. 800 MHz is great, but you shouldn't push Sprint aside for using 1900MHz. Plus with free roaming for Sprint customers onto Verizon's network; you basically get the best of both worlds if you use Sprint. So just keep in mind that 1900MHz does have it's own advatages.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

I talked to a webos fan that has been with sprint for a long time and top guy locally, he had no inside info on a new sprint device on webos

He personally wants one as well.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    I say we just wait and see.Most people didn't know the veer was even a 4g phone.Just because their haven't been any annocements doesn't mean the pre 3 won't be on sprint.For all we know the Pre3 could also be 4g also.We just have to play the waiting game unless some insider news leaks. Which isn't happening no time soon.I suspect we will know more after the TouchPad launches.Hp probably wants to get it out the door first before releasing more details on the pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    I say we just wait and see.Most people didn't know the veer was even a 4g phone.
    That's because it's not.
    That's because it's not.

The Veer runs on AT&T's HSPA+ network. AT&T calls their HSPA+ network a 4G network, even though it isn't considered 4G. It is viewed more as faster 3G. It is misleading for AT&T to use the term 4G to describe the Veer.
    Last edited by the2ndflood; 06/28/2011 at 09:02 PM.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel