View Poll Results: Will Sprint Carry The New HP Pre 3 In 2011?

Voters
424. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

175 41.27%
  • MAYBE

103 24.29%
  • NO

83 19.58%
  • "WHEN PIGS LEARN HOW TO FLY"

63 14.86%
Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 253031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    I just got back from my local Sprint store and have some info that's not going to make Sprint users happy. Verizon is getting an exclusive on the Pre 3 and Sprint is getting the phone...but not until January! I'm not happy because I'm one of those Sprint users! I believe the temptation to jump to Verizon will be too much for me to continue to hang with Sprint. I've been due an upgrade for a year now but I'm not waiting 6 more months to use it. I will be picking one up from Verizon and paying the piper whatever it takes. There's still no credible info on HP's future devices and where they will land (not to mention I have to have a physical keyboard). This is a big FAIL by Sprint to not take care of webOS early adopters and could be a huge fail by HP to give so many early adopters reason to switch to an Android/Apple device. What are they thinking....seriously!?
    Ummm.. And your random Sprint store employee knows this is 100% certain, how exactly?
    Spudland -

I will validate (to some degree) what you just reported. I just spoke with a Sprint employee at the Canton, MI store today who pretty much told me the same thing. He said he has heard absolutely zero information about Sprint getting any new HP/Palm phones in the future.... But ......he did say that Sprint IS expecting the iPhone....but he told me around October is what he was told. He seemed genuinely annoyed as he said it because he said we should be expecting "data caps" to come along with it.

Frankly, I don't know what to think... I am amazed quite honestly, that HP & Sprint, knowing all of us Pre minus "day one" people are out here fresh out of the two year chains......and they have no options available for us to continue with the webOS product. Wow.... Luckily, my phone is working just fine, but it would be nice to hear SOMETHING....
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Here's my question... in a market where Samsung, HTC and Motorola are releasing new handsets on every carrier FREQUENTLY, how in the world does it make sense to do a 6 month "exclusive" with ANY phone by any maker today? Granted you saw Verizon get the iPhone 4 several months after AT&T, but my money says that now that AT&T no longer has iPhone exclusivity, that you'll be able to get the next iPhone on multiple carriers simultaneously.

I just don't think it serves HP or WebOS at all to do "6 months exclusive" with anyone at this point, unless they've got an alternative phone for other carriers to release a month or 2 later (ie the rumored slab WebOS phone).
    Quote Originally Posted by rumz View Post
    Granted you saw Verizon get the iPhone 4 several months after AT&T,
    Well ATT did have years of exclusive US iPhone... just saying
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Well ATT did have years of exclusive US iPhone... just saying
    True, and I've never seen a single brand be so exclusive in the handset market before. They've built one of the top smartphone platforms even with that exclusivity. However, I do think that even for Apple that things have changed. iOS 5 has matured enough that there are only minor differences between how things would operate on each carrier (like simultaneous voice and data). And mostly, I'd like to think that Apple would like their customers to be able to use an iPhone regardless of their carrier choice.

Maybe I'm just spoiled. Until 2009, every time I was up for a new phone, Sprint had the latest Palm phone (Treo 650, 755p, Pre).

Eh. I need to stop reading these forums. It only makes me more anxious about something I have no control over :P
    I walked into a Best Buy today, and the HP Rep (who was trying to sell the Veer) told me that the Pre3 was not coming to Sprint and that it's coming out in August.

As a loyal Palm Pre and Sprint user, I was very disappointed.

I don't know want to believe her.
    Quote Originally Posted by iseroma View Post
    I walked into a Best Buy today, and the HP Rep (who was trying to sell the Veer) told me that the Pre3 was not coming to Sprint and that it's coming out in August.

Did she say if the Pre3 was coming to Verizon in August?

Walked into a sprint store today and was told they know about their new devices about a month before, rep never heard of Pre3 or TouchPad, wouldn't even have bothered walking in except I passed right by it.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I am with you, but at this point it's a crap shoot. By the time Sprint gets the Pre3, will they still be offering unlimited.
    Sprint is going to keep offering Unlimited data for the forseeable. Sprint's network is underutilized. So Sprint can allow customers to use a lot of data, without it hurting their network. So I wouldn't worry about Sprint getting rid of this perk anytime soon.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Quote Originally Posted by iseroma View Post

Hi all,

1. I'm so sorry to hear this about Sprint... especially since so many of you are Sprint webOS users from the original Pre.

Also since Sprint has unlimited data........

2. Well I hope that the August date is true....at least we will have a timeline...but with so many stories out there...and conflicting stories from HP & Sprint who knows what to believe....

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post

2. Well I hope that the August date is true....at least we will have a timeline...but with so many stories out there...and conflicting stories from HP & Sprint who knows what to believe....

Yeah, who knows what to believe anymore. Sprint was the first carrier to offer a WebOS phone here in the USA. So you would think Sprint would also be in line to get some new WebOS devices, like phones and tablets. So far though, that hasn't happen and I'm now down to 30%. 30% out of 100% that we will get the new devices. That's why I am looking into 4G android devices; just in case Sprint doesn't give us access to WebOS mobile phones. Like I have said a billion times before, I hope I am wrong and that we do get something new WebOS wise. I would be one of the first people in line, waiting at 5AM in the morning, to get my hands on a new WebOS device.

Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    Yeah, who knows what to believe anymore. Sprint was the first carrier to offer a WebOS phone here in the USA. So you would think Sprint would also be in line to get some new WebOS devices, like phones and tablets. So far though, that hasn't happen and I'm now down to 30%. 30% out of 100% that we will get the new devices. That's why I am looking into 4G android devices; just in case Sprint doesn't give us access to WebOS mobile phones. Like I have said a billion times before, I hope I am wrong and that we do get something new WebOS wise. I would be one of the first people in line, waiting at 5AM in the morning, to get my hands on a new WebOS device.
    Hi all,

Perhaps Sprint is upset that there was a quality control problem with some of the Pre and it also didn't well as well as Sprint hoped.....

However, I'm hoping that HP's shear size and the fact that HP has stated that they would make all kinds of deals with carriers and with potential clients to get them to adopt webOS, (keep in mind since HP has product lines in every aspect of computing that they would give a potential buyer a deal, you buy webOS smartphones or TouchPads will give you a price break on your computer order, etc....).

HP has clout that Palm never did or could....let's hope that if Sprint is reluctant, that HP has a card they haven't yet played to get Sprint to sell webOS devices.....(that is if Sprint is reluctant).

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

Perhaps Sprint is upset that there was a quality control problem with some of the Pre and it also didn't well as well as Sprint hoped.....

However, I'm hoping that HP's shear size and the fact that HP has stated that they would make all kinds of deals with carriers and with potential clients to get them to adopt webOS, (keep in mind since HP has product lines in every aspect of computing that they would give a potential buyer a deal, you buy webOS smartphones or TouchPads will give you a price break on your computer order, etc....).

HP has clout that Palm never did or could....let's hope that if Sprint is reluctant, that HP has a card they haven't yet played to get Sprint to sell webOS devices.....(that is if Sprint is reluctant).

take care,

Jay
    If Sprint is worried about a quality control issue, then they should have been able to work with HP to correct it. It's not fair for whatever the reason is, that we may never get another WebOS device on the Sprint network. Sprint should let us customers choose what phone we want to use. Sprint shouldn't just give up when they know they have a lot of customers already using the WebOS. It's just not fair to do any of this to us. I do know that if HP doesn't offer anymore WebOS devices for use on the Sprint network, then HP will lose a lot of ground to the AndroidOS. And if HP loses that ground, they may never be able to reclaim it all back again. So this is a horrible game that HP and/or Sprint are playing.

Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    I just got back from my local Sprint store and have some info that's not going to make Sprint users happy. Verizon is getting an exclusive on the Pre 3 and Sprint is getting the phone...but not until January!
    Really? What about he AT&T phone that passed through the FCC? If Verizon is getting an exclusive, I would assume AT&T is not getting the Pre 3 either which would seem strange since they built a version for AT&T frequencies. They are also getting the Touchpad and have the Veer so I would assume the Pre 3 is sure thing there. How would a Sprint retail employee know the exclusivity agreements of another carrier? The bottom line is no one knows what is going to happen with the Pre 3 but yes evidence(Pre 3 seen running on Verizon and At&T) does point to Sprint not carrying the Pre 3 at the initial launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Really? What about he AT&T phone that passed through the FCC? If Verizon is getting an exclusive, I would assume AT&T is not getting the Pre 3 either which would seem strange since they built a version for AT&T frequencies. They are also getting the Touchpad and have the Veer so I would assume the Pre 3 is sure thing there. How would a Sprint retail employee know the exclusivity agreements of another carrier? The bottom line is no one knows what is going to happen with the Pre 3 but yes evidence(Pre 3 seen running on Verizon and At&T) does point to Sprint not carrying the Pre 3 at the initial launch.
    Hi all,

Tt's official we are all making ourselves crazy over all of this...the sales people at stores and kiosks don't know didly about what is forthcoming....The fact that phones pass thru FCC testing is far more proof than what some sales person stated....

Just before Palm was bought out by HP and it was still up for grabs a V sales person told me know NO one will want it and they will fold with webOS withering on the vine......I should be so lucky to sell a company that some no body sales person says will fold for $1.2 BILLION.

My advice is stop making yourselves crazy with listening to these people who know NOTHING!

We know for fact that AT&T will be getting one b/c of the fact that a model already passed thru the FCC the rest we have to wait.....

take care,

Jay
    Well I have friend who works for a friend who has sprint AND they have a friend who works for HP cdma carrier recruitment division who says its a Definite Maybe

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Well I have friend who works for a friend who has sprint AND they have a friend who works for HP cdma carrier recruitment division who says its a Definite Maybe

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    LMao at the friend, of a friend, of a friend's friend lol
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    Sprint is going to keep offering Unlimited data for the forseeable. Sprint's network is underutilized. So Sprint can allow customers to use a lot of data, without it hurting their network. So I wouldn't worry about Sprint getting rid of this perk anytime soon.
    From Hesse-

“We can offer unlimited as long as the usage is reasonable. If you run an all-you-can-eat buffet, but you have the New England Patriots come in and the whole team spends a whole day there, I can't afford to do that anymore.”

Hesse: Too much downloading could mean the end of unlimited data on Sprint | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

Between comments like that and $10 per line fee that was added, I don't have faith in Sprint staying unlimited when some time in the next year or so they will be the only unlimited left. I think Hesse is waiting to see where VZW comes out on there tiers. Sprint may offer better tiers than AT&T and VZW, but long term I see Sprint going there to.

Maybe Sprint starts their tiers at 3 gigs instead of 500 megs or whatever ATT's lowest is. Then 6 gigs, 9 gigs.... or maybe they make you pay for your unlimited data, and cap normal plans. Like I said, just thinking sooner or later... we will see though.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    so i decided to send an email to Dan@sprint.com and a rep called me back today. in my email, i basically asked if they plan on getting any webOS devices in the near future. of course she said she doesn't have any information on that right now but what i found interesting was that she said pre3 rather than webOS devices. i never once mentioned the pre3 in my email. according to her, they have been getting a lot of requests from cutomers for sprint to carry the pre3. i suggest everyone keeps emailing sprint requesting that they carry a webOS device. i really think we're getting through to them.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emceesquared View Post
    so i decided to send an email to Dan@sprint.com and a rep called me back today. in my email, i basically asked if they plan on getting any webOS devices in the near future. of course she said she doesn't have any information on that right now but what i found interesting was that she said pre3 rather than webOS devices. i never once mentioned the pre3 in my email. according to her, they have been getting a lot of requests from cutomers for sprint to carry the pre3. i suggest everyone keeps emailing sprint requesting that they carry a webOS device. i really think we're getting through to them.
    If I were a cynic (or more of one than I am) I would think they just wrote a new script to placate us. Of course, "dan" gives a different story than the website chat people, or store reps, based on reports here.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I did the same thing. Got a call today and I right away told the rep that all I wanted was her to "pass it along" and she said she'll do it.