View Poll Results: Will Sprint Carry The New HP Pre 3 In 2011?

Voters
424. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

175 41.27%
  • MAYBE

103 24.29%
  • NO

83 19.58%
  • "WHEN PIGS LEARN HOW TO FLY"

63 14.86%
Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 212627282930313233343536 41 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by simonh View Post
    Is it hard to get a Pre2 to work on Sprint. I can probably get an unlocked european version of the Pre2 for free.
    Just follow the webosinternals directions exactly:
    Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals

It's really easy as long as you are comfortable taking apart your Pre. The fact that you don't have to use metadoctor to transfer your tokens makes it a breeze.
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    AT&T needs to do more then lower their prices to even attempt to kill Sprint. They need to offer better plans and features, on top of lowering prices. They need to stop locking down their phones and let customers download whatever Java apps they want to. AT&T doesn't even let customers on their $39.99 plan have unlimited Night&Weekend calling. AT&T charges insane amounts for Smart-Device plans, with very low cap data limits. In my opinion, Sprint is the best wireless carrier in the USA, because of the plans, prices and plan features. AT&T is only good for Unlocked phones and even then they have problems, because most of the Unlocked phones can't access AT&T's 4G network. Some can only access the Edge network. So AT&T is no where near good enough to kill Sprint. But that is my opinion.
    WRONG!!!! Long time Sprint user here... AT&T has become very competitive, well Sprint made em that way. Sad to say 2 years ago when we decided to get Pre's Sprint was the best deal, they have moved themselves out of that market... I will now follow my OS.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    WRONG!!!! Long time Sprint user here... AT&T has become very competitive, well Sprint made em that way. Sad to say 2 years ago when we decided to get Pre's Sprint was the best deal, they have moved themselves out of that market... I will now follow my OS.
    You said I was wrong but you didn't offer anything to prove that what I said was wrong. I don't want to get into an argument, but if your going to say I am wrong, then you need to go into more detail. Everything I said was spot-on.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    The 2GB cap on ATT (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $4GB$ $plan$ $is$ $Blackberry$ $only$) $means$ $they$ $can$ $come$ $nowhere$ $close$ $to$ $Sprint$, $or$ $even$ $Verizon$, $in$ $terms$ $of$ $value$ $for$ $a$ $smartphone$, $unless$ $you$ $never$ $use$ $the$ $advanced$ $features$ $or$ $are$ $always$ $within$ $reach$ $of$ $wifi$.
    Can we all agree first of all that Verizon is the most expensive? Ok good.

Now whether AT&T or Sprint has the better plan depends on which plan you are choosing. I did a test a few days ago and found that for a single-line plan, AT&T is pretty comparable to Sprint. For multi-line family plans though, Sprint is cheaper.

Data usage is another important consideration. For a user who is always on a wifi network, it may not make much of a difference, but AT&T's 2GB cap is problematic for users who do use data on their phone, who aren't always connected to wifi. Some may argue that 2GB a month is plenty, and they are right. Others may say that 2GB is not enough, and they are right.

It all comes down to individual usage, but keep in mind that we are getting more and more services and content on our mobile devices. It's easy to say that it doesn't matter now, but what will you say in 6 months, in a year? Would the internet be where it is today if we were all still on AOL paying by the minutes each month?

What AT&T and Verizon has started is not too unlike the old days. It's a very slippery slope indeed. Remember when we're all "8GB is plenty of space on a mobile device?" It's not that difficult to hit 2GB of data usage per month.
    Quote Originally Posted by kuffcakes View Post
    makatram - Why not consider the Pre2 if the Pre3 does not come to Sprint?
    I have considered it but I'm on a pixi and don't want to take a chance on a used pre (risky?) and purchase of a pre2 with no phone insurance. I am also thinking of putting wifi on my pixi for fun when I get a new phone.... Whatever that phone may be!
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    Can we all agree first of all that Verizon is the most expensive? Ok good.
    Now whether AT&T or Sprint has the better plan depends on which plan you are choosing. I did a test a few days ago and found that for a single-line plan, AT&T is pretty comparable to Sprint. For multi-line family plans though, Sprint is cheaper.
    Data usage is another important consideration. For a user who is always on a wifi network, it may not make much of a difference, but AT&T's 2GB cap is problematic for users who do use data on their phone, who aren't always connected to wifi. Some may argue that 2GB a month is plenty, and they are right. Others may say that 2GB is not enough, and they are right.
    It all comes down to individual usage, but keep in mind that we are getting more and more services and content on our mobile devices. It's easy to say that it doesn't matter now, but what will you say in 6 months, in a year? Would the internet be where it is today if we were all still on AOL paying by the minutes each month?
    What AT&T and Verizon has started is not too unlike the old days. It's a very slippery slope indeed. Remember when we're all "8GB is plenty of space on a mobile device?" It's not that difficult to hit 2GB of data usage per month.

Yes Verizon costs the most. Their PDA data plans cost around $30 per-month; without taking into consideration the extra cost for the voice plan and other add-ons. Plus they charge an insanely high ETF of $350. Which is most likely one of the big reasons why Verizon hasn't been adding a ton of new iPhone customers. You are correct though in stating that this all depends on what type of plan that you are looking for. If you mainly just make phone calls, then Sprint, AT&T and Verizon have similar pricing plans. If you want to use a Smart-Device on the other hand, then Sprint is the cheapest.
    Which the trend is now moving towards more Smart-Devices. I don't like the iPhone all that much, but I can say that it's existence is pushing people to buy Smart-Device now more then ever before. This is where I think Verizon and AT&T have made major mistakes. They are not lowering their prices for these types of devices. They just want to grind out as much profit as possible. Which I think is a big mistake.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    You said I was wrong but you didn't offer anything to prove that what I said was wrong. I don't want to get into an argument, but if your going to say I am wrong, then you need to go into more detail. Everything I said was spot-on.
    Thanks - yeah, it's just so hard to drill through those carrier sites. The last cursory examination I did of AT$T, Verizon and Sprint still showed Sprint being the value leader. I just wish folks who defend AT$T and Verizon would give us some simple tables to compare.

Last month I used ~900k of data, and 220 text messages. I can't see any world where AT$T or Verizon beats Sprint for the plan I'm paying for.
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    Thanks - yeah, it's just so hard to drill through those carrier sites. The last cursory examination I did of AT$T, Verizon and Sprint still showed Sprint being the value leader. I just wish folks who defend AT$T and Verizon would give us some simple tables to compare.

Last month I used ~900k of data, and 220 text messages. I can't see any world where AT$T or Verizon beats Sprint for the plan I'm paying for.
    have you tried billshrink.com yet? regarding your exact situation, AT&T has strategically created their data plans so that very few people would be able to take advantage of the cheapest plan (which caps at a ridiculous 200MB per month). even my parents, who barely use any data, will go over 200MB per month.

i'm constantly amazed that so many people keep on defending companies like AT&T and VZ for reducing services while increasing prices. the theoretical "lower" prices are often capped so ridiculously low that it is an insult.
    Sprint Everything 450 = $80/mo with a smartphone.
    Verizon 450 + Texting + Unlimited Data = $90/mo with a smartphone.
    AT&T 450 + Texting + 2GB Data = $85/mo with a smartphone.
    T-Mobile 500 + Texting + 2GB Data = $70/mo with a smartphone.
    T-Mobile 500 + Texting + 5GB Data = $80/mo with a smartphone.

The $5-$10 difference per month is negligible. Technically, Verizon is cheaper for me since I would get a discount through my employer.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post

The $5-$10 difference per month is negligible. Technically, Verizon is cheaper for me since I would get a discount through my employer.
    Now, price two lines, and you will see (ignoring T-Mobile, I haven't priced them in years) Sprint being a lot cheaper, in large part because the marginal cost of data is a lot lower with them.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Yes, Price Six lines on a family plan and Sprint is a lot cheaper, like $80.00 less per month! No way I can leave Sprint, it would cost me hundreds to break about four contracts, plus about $1000.00 more a year in fees. With so many options like EVO, it is hard to justify leaving Sprint for Pre3. It might be different if HP had like a 15% market share and 40,000+ Apps and I knew that the platform would be here for the long haul in Smart phone format, but in its current state, it is really hard to leave sprints much cheaper family plan, with a not 100% certain future.

I agree one phone line not to bad, but add like 4-6 lines that is a big difference, to leave for a new phone.
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
    yup I have 4 lines on sprint and unlimited everything for 180 and any mobile anytime I hardly even touch my minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by makatram View Post
    I have considered it but I'm on a pixi and don't want to take a chance on a used pre (risky?) and purchase of a pre2 with no phone insurance. I am also thinking of putting wifi on my pixi for fun when I get a new phone.... Whatever that phone may be!
    all you need is a good com board from the used Pre-. I bought a new Pre2 off craigslist for pretty cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post

Sprint also includes navigation. Add that on to the other carriers and it's no longer as close. Does it matter? Depends on the user, I guess. It does to me.

And if I am really to believe $10 a month is "negligible," how is it that so many people are throwing a hissy fit about Sprint's $10 a month premium data add-on?

Monthly fees add up. Just $5 more a month is $60 a year. Nothing to sneeze at IMO. $60 is $60. I'll take the cheapest plan, and I'll take navigation, unlimited data, unlimited texting and any mobile/any time with it.

If you look at the whole picture, Sprint still cannot be beat, even on individual lines.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    @evilkell
    The reason im not switching over to other services the free mobile to mobile. Specifically Verizon. I understand that ATT now has that with Family Text but their data plan only allow 2GB. I just like the peace of mind with "unlimited" data. They cant charge me if i go 10GB but they can sure drop me. That is fine when it happens. I dont use more than 1GB but again, its the peace of mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by kuffcakes View Post
    all you need is a good com board from the used Pre-. I bought a new Pre2 off craigslist for pretty cheap.
    Wait, so if I have a working Pre- on Sprint, are you saying that I could buy a used Verizon Pre2 and "upgrade" by taking the two apart and mixing and matching the pieces, without having to muck with software? Because if that's true, I really ought to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Sprint also includes navigation. Add that on to the other carriers and it's no longer as close. Does it matter? Depends on the user, I guess. It does to me.

And if I am really to believe $10 a month is "negligible," how is it that so many people are throwing a hissy fit about Sprint's $10 a month premium data add-on?

Monthly fees add up. Just $5 more a month is $60 a year. Nothing to sneeze at IMO. $60 is $60. I'll take the cheapest plan, and I'll take navigation, unlimited data, unlimited texting and any mobile/any time with it.

If you look at the whole picture, Sprint still cannot be beat, even on individual lines.
    Start adding 2-3 more lines... and do the math...
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    Wait, so if I have a working Pre- on Sprint, are you saying that I could buy a used Verizon Pre2 and "upgrade" by taking the two apart and mixing and matching the pieces, without having to muck with software? Because if that's true, I really ought to do it.
    You don't even need a working pre-, it could have a cracked screen or whatever so long as the com board is okay, also, if you can find a pre2 with a bad esn you can use that, so as long as your lucky you could get a decent phone for pretty cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    You absolutely can do just that. And I did last week (with an unlocked GSM Pre2, which is slightly better than the Verizon Pre2 for this procedure). The only caveat is that there is some software stuff to muck with. It's pretty easy and all done with simple scripts, but don't be mislead.

You can also mail your Pre- to a company that will do the conversion for you (though I think that means you are without your phone for a few days since the phone has to be activated).