View Poll Results: Will Sprint Carry The New HP Pre 3 In 2011?

Voters
424. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

175 41.27%
  • MAYBE

103 24.29%
  • NO

83 19.58%
  • "WHEN PIGS LEARN HOW TO FLY"

63 14.86%
Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827 View Post
    Had a chance to visit with a couple of HP managers (HP devices will be on all three major networks (AT&T, VZ, & Sprint) by end of summer (Sept)... I got the impression VZ might be first, to launch one phone (pre3?), then other carriers would follow shortly with that phone. Sprint would get to launch a phone llate summer(something new? a Pre4) then other carriers later, take that for what it is worth...By Christmas you will have laptops with WEBOS on it also! Note they are sold that the phones will be working somehow with Touchpads and laptops. The HP Cloud, to quote them.

An interesting take on sprint deal my carrier, HP relationship is good from what they know; problem might not be Sprint with but HP, but HP waiting to see what Sprint finalizes the 4G roadmap -with which direction they go with 4G. Sprint may soon make switch this summer to LTE+ (?) from WIMAX, and only phones committed to wimax now will be released. I have no idea where they got this info, but it could affect what future radios they put in Touchpad’s, i.e. no WIMAX touch Pads only LTE.

I was given the impression from them that HP thinks Sprint will very soon switches to LTE= and Wimax will fade away in the next 12-18 months, therfore no need to make any WiMAX compatible equipment, focus only on LTE 4g. I have no Idea why they where under this impression, but maybe HP corporate Services knows somthing about Sprints future 4G plans..take that all with a grain of salt, lol. have a great weekend. I might wait for a PRE4 later this summer, lol.
    This makes some good sense about the phones and sits well with the dribs of leaks we have been getting. I am relieved, thanks.

I believe HP also that they think laptops will be out by end of year. I am wondering though if the typical software delays will push this to end of first quarter next year.

Did you hear anything about "killer apps"? What did the HP managers think of the webOS devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post

Only movie I have every seen with a phrenology refference.

2:03 for Charlie in action

"I'm a phrenologist" "Oh what do you do as a phrenologist?" "I feel, and determine the size of Walt's a** hole." "OH! I mean skull features!"

Might have been the birth of the golf clap as well but I can not say that for sure. Late 80's early 90's at their best.
    Hi all,

1. Back when I still lived in NYC, (hard to believe that I moved out of NYC almost 18 years ago), there was a hair dresser near one of my clients who used to call herself a Cranial Morphologist ......I had to go in ask....she cut your hair using the bumps and contours of your skull. I kid you not!

2. Also in one of the older episodes of Law and Order, D.A. Adam Schiff, (brilliantly played by Steven Hill, who was supposed to be real life DA Robert M. Morgenthau of New York County for 24 years, (for those of you who haven't been to NYC, New York County is Manhattan only). Mr. Hill even nails the strange facial tick of Mr. Morgenthau), says about the lack of a suspect:

"you'd have better luck consulting a phrenologist".

I'm glad medicine has come a long way since phrenology!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    Its been said alot that WiMax will be replaced with LTE - but i also heard somewhere that the wimax radio can be software modified to talk to LTE? and if they switch there will be a software rollout- i would hope this is truth as I know alot of Evo owners will be piiisseed
    Yes me being one of them.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    At&t and Verizon will be attending HP's Discovery event June 6th-10th.

Sprint will not.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

http://www.webosroundup.com/2011/05/...iscover-event/
    Last edited by i2y4n; 05/28/2011 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Inserted Source Link
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    At&t and Verizon will be attending HP's Discovery event June 6th-10th.

Sprint will not.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Interesting. Is it possible that they are currently buying more HP equipment to power their network and that is the reason they are attending?
    I think that says it all right there. Looks like I have to find a pre2 to frankenpre. Really wish it didnt have to come to that though.
    I had a feeling Sprint users would be royally screwed after WOR news there is no if and buts about it
    Had a chance to visit with a couple of HP managers (not in mobile unit at all FYI) so take this for the little it is worth. I really pushed this time digging for all I could get, trying to figure out what they knew, as much as I could without damaging the relationship. So, I found out a little more today putting the pieces together, from an HP America’s manager in Houston. HP devices will be on all three major networks (AT&T, VZ, & Sprint) by end of summer (Sept). There is more than just the Veer and Pre3 coming in terms of phones this summer. I got the impression VZ might be first, to launch one phone (pre3?), then other carriers would follow shortly with that phone. Sprint would get to launch a phone llate summer(something new? a Pre4) then other carriers later, take that for what it is worth. By fall if you are on either VZ, sprint on AT&T network you will have many options to have a WebOS phone, that will work with a Touch Pad. By Christmas you will have laptops with WEBOS on it also! Note they are sold that the phones will be working somehow with Touchpads and laptops. The HP Cloud, to quote them.

An interesting take on sprint deal my carrier, HP relationship is good from what they know; problem might not be Sprint with but HP, but HP waiting to see what Sprint finalizes the 4G roadmap -with which direction they go with 4G. Sprint may soon make switch this summer to LTE+ (?) from WIMAX, and only phones committed to wimax now will be released. I have no idea where they got this info, but it could affect what future radios they put in Touchpad’s, i.e. no WIMAX touch Pads only LTE.

I was given the impression from them that HP thinks Sprint will very soon switches to LTE= and Wimax will fade away in the next 12-18 months, therfore no need to make any WiMAX compatible equipment, focus only on LTE 4g. I have no Idea why they where under this impression, but maybe HP corporate Services knows somthing about Sprints future 4G plans..take that all with a grain of salt, lol. have a great weekend. I might wait for a PRE4 later this summer, lol.
    The news about Sprint switching to LTE is possible, Sprint execs went on record saying that switching to LTE for 4g was not out of the question.

As for them not getting a new webOS phone until September, if that's the case Sprint better make an announcement about it. If they can announce Evo 3D's & Kyocera Echo's months before they launch, I don't see why they cam't announce their next webOS device.

Otherwise, June 6th starts the countdown of 2 year contracts expiring. Every webOS user on Sprint will either exhaust or come close to completing their 2 year agreements & with no ETF's, there's not much stopping them from jumping ship for a Pre 3 or other webOS phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Interesting. Is it possible that they are currently buying more HP equipment to power their network and that is the reason they are attending?
    Sorry, I may have got that wrong. ATT & Verizon would attend to meet with business customers who would want to use their network, that would be the reason to pay the exhibitor fee.

Of course the technology divisions of ATT and Verizon may also be attending so as to buy [HP or vendor related] equipment for their company infrastructure.
    I waited in line on June 5 two years ago for the original Pre (Pre minus???). Despite not being able to support WebOS 2.x and having a cosmetic crack in my screen emanating from the charging port, I love my Pre and plan to stay with WebOS. True, it's likely stubborn devotion -- my first "smart" device, which still works (albeit SLOWLY) is a Handspring visor.

I stopped by a local Best Buy yesterday to see the Veer, which they had coincidentally gotten in stock the day before and had none on the showroom floor or even out of the box. I'm a thumbnail typist on my phone and need a physical keyboard because I don't have sufficient warmth in my fingertips year-round to use a virtual keyboard reliably. The Veer keyboard would work for me, but the screen is just too small -- and I like small.

All this to say that I want as much as anyone for Sprint to offer the new Pre3. And will move from Sprint even to the carrier I'd prefer to punish - Verizon - to follow WebOS. So, I chatted with Sprint support today. Customer support does not ubiquitously say Sprint is getting Pre3 but without a firm release date. I didn't even get a "maybe," or "we're negotiating." I got a load of indecisive, "check out our newsroom for updates," language. Nothing remotely as re-assuring as others have reported here. I'd not characterize it as negative, either, but wholly noncommittal.

I'm prepared to wait-n-see at least until my original Pre dies or HP announces its carriers and hold out hope that Sprint will be among them.

Here's the chat transcript:

Your session ID for this incident is 2891456.
    Time Details
    05/28/2011 10:30:32AM Session Started with Agent (Drew P.)
    05/28/2011 10:30:32AM System: "Thank you for contacting Sprint. My name is Drew P.."
    05/28/2011 10:30:32AM "Likelihood that Sprint will carry the HP Pre3"
    05/28/2011 10:30:43AM "Hi, Drew"
    05/28/2011 10:30:48AM Agent (Drew P.): "Hello."
    05/28/2011 10:30:51AM Agent (Drew P.): "Please provide me the details of your question."
    05/28/2011 10:31:38AM "My contract expires on June 5 and I want to stay with WebOs. I don't want to move to a Pre Pixi, as it's old and not well-regarded hardware. What are the odds that Sprint will carry Pre3 this summer?"
    05/28/2011 10:32:19AM Agent (Drew P.): "I am happy to help you. Please give me a moment to look into it."
    05/28/2011 10:33:50AM Agent (Drew P.): "Thank you for your interest! I have checked the new device information for you. There is no official information confirmation for getting this upcoming HP Pre3 phone with us. However, if there is any update information is available in future you will get"
    &nbsp the information through our web site, advertisement and promotional offers.. To stay current on product announcements, please visit http://www.sprint.com/newsroom.
    05/28/2011 10:35:24AM "I'll likely be leaving Sprint in the next month if no announcement on a new HP Palm device is released. Please encourage the Sprint business team to negotiate with HP to carry their devices."
    05/28/2011 10:36:38AM Agent (Drew P.): "Sure, I will forward your feedback to our dedicated department."
    05/28/2011 10:36:52AM "Thank you. Have a great weekend."
    05/28/2011 10:36:59AM Session Ended
    Last edited by damselfly; 05/28/2011 at 10:03 AM.
    Im happy to switch to ATT. I will definitely not switch to VZW.

Sprint lost me when they took away 12 months update option. Its plan maybe cheap for unlimited everything, but since I really never use unlimited everything, the plan lacks flexibility and ends up costing me more for what I use. I will not consider staying with sprint under any circumstance.
    Do you have a sense of what the monthly charge on ATT would be for voice/data, but without a hotspot?
    Hi all,

At this point Sprint should ____ or get off of the pot...Either they are getting it or not...I know they want to string everyone along to keep customers. However stinging everyone along is also pushing customers away!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Had a chance to visit with a couple of HP managers (not in mobile unit at all FYI) so take this for the little it is worth. I really pushed this time digging for all I could get, trying to figure out what they knew, as much as I could without damaging the relationship. So, I found out a little more today putting the pieces together, from an HP America’s manager in Houston. HP devices will be on all three major networks (AT&T, VZ, & Sprint) by end of summer (Sept). There is more than just the Veer and Pre3 coming in terms of phones this summer. I got the impression VZ might be first, to launch one phone (pre3?), then other carriers would follow shortly with that phone. Sprint would get to launch a phone llate summer(something new? a Pre4) then other carriers later, take that for what it is worth. By fall if you are on either VZ, sprint on AT&T network you will have many options to have a WebOS phone, that will work with a Touch Pad. By Christmas you will have laptops with WEBOS on it also! Note they are sold that the phones will be working somehow with Touchpads and laptops. The HP Cloud, to quote them.

sprint is not going to switch over to LTE anytime soon as it would render most of their current 4g phones useless. so i think what you heard was incorrect. i heard sprint will possibly be getting the next webos device, it could also be a keyboardless slab type device.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    i heard sprint will possibly be getting the next webos device, it could also be a keyboardless slab type device.
    good to know. I can't use the keyboard-less devices. That completely remove the function of blind typing, and add difficulties for fast dialing a contact.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    good to know. I can't use the keyboard-less devices. That completely remove the function of blind typing, and add difficulties for fast dialing a contact.
    i meant no hardware keyboard. sprint likes slab phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post

Otherwise, June 6th starts the countdown of 2 year contracts expiring. Every webOS user on Sprint will either exhaust or come close to completing their 2 year agreements & with no ETF's, there's not much stopping them from jumping ship for a Pre 3 or other webOS phone.
    A considerably larger monthly bill will stop many from jumping ship. Including me.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    sprint is not going to switch over to LTE anytime soon as it would render most of their current 4g phones useless. so i think what you heard was incorrect. i heard sprint will possibly be getting the next webos device, it could also be a keyboardless slab type device.
    That's not necessarily true. They can run Wimax and LTE at the same time phasing out Wimax as time goes on and those phones get long in the tooth. Eventually they just wouldn't sell any Wimax phones. It wouldn't be a painful transition at all unless you are planning on using your EVO and Shift for the next 5 years. I think the newer Sprint 4g phones like the EVO 3D will come with dual radios that support both.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by damselfly View Post
    Do you have a sense of what the monthly charge on ATT would be for voice/data, but without a hotspot?
    I have the lowest offered minutes plan with unlimited data and text. No hotspot (obviously, since I have a pre plus). My bill after taxes and fees is around $107
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    A considerably larger monthly bill will stop many from jumping ship. Including me.
    A know the larger monthly bill will stop a lot of people; but there are a lot of people who are more loyal to webOS than their carrier. Some of those include the people who switched to Sprint just to get the Palm Pre when it first came out.

I know all Pre - users aren't jumping ship, but I'm sure a considerable amount will.